Question for the Basketball Gurus!

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name="mfd814" post="916780" timestamp="1290467763"]
Those lights are huge.  Just keep working , getting better everyday.  The lights will find you when its your time to shine.
[/quote]The Houston Hoops make those lights shine awful bright. You'll see it this year at The ESPN Center when your team gets there this summer.

[quote name="Choice" post="916721" timestamp="1290462156"]
Wow. I don't want to move I just want to complain.  Sure that your kids can read and see that you would rather hold them back at a school that has a top Little dribbler program that fizzles out in HS, then to move them to a challenging program at P.A.M. HJ or Silsbee.  You are right just keep complaining and your kids will learn that all that matters is to get on a message board and play the old blame game.  When that Little dribbler team stomped on the HF varsity did that not clue you in!!!!!!!!  You should have had your mighty Little Dribblers play HJ or Silsbee those are the teams you are measured against.  Hope the manager that the HF kids has talks to the parents and get those kids to a school where proper basketball training takes place.  Kids please tell your parents that you need a bigger challenge then to start on a team that has not won 10 district games in basketball in the last 5 years combined..
[/quote]Well I was not complaining but trying to promote change. My kids...at home are not allowed on this forum independently. Central home computer...but I am sure other students will oblige. The kids are loyal to their school and they can choose. I am loyal to HF and would relish an its success. Every district should want and strive to be competitive at the very least. No one finds pride in being last. What benefit would come to you having my kids leave the district? You are so personal and full of contempt. What's the root cause? You and Agg are the worst. But maybe you like him have an inside track and are beacons. No matter what people say and how the boys are treated, they will continue to work hard...our household motto is "hard work and talent outshines entitlement" others will see and know the truth. If they are truly talented, nothing will be able to suppress it. You guys should watch the Marcus Dupree documentary and see what happened to him with all his talent!

Again, to prepare kids for the college level, if parents actually have a kid with that kind of potential, a good high school program and a good aau team can work hand in hand. If a kid has to rely on an aau team alone, he will be missing out valuable information and experience, that will come from a solid h.s. program. I've said it before, the aau experience alone may do more harm than good. Seen some good kids get ruined from misinformation and coaches with an agenda. Gather facts, its a one shot deal, a good h.s. program is more beneficial for the mental approach to the game if anything. Look at the kids committed already. They almost all come from good h.s. programs and yes, they also play alot in the summer. AAu tournaments cant offer the experience that some kids get once the playoffs get kicked off. 9,000 at the regional tournament last year and 15,000 plus at the final four in Austin!!
I think it's great to think and talk about the next level, but some kids forget about the level they are on now! Somethin to think about!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

all i want to know is that if HF is out of school tomorrow will the players still work out on game day, we play them tomorrow and i hardly think its fair that we shouldn't get the advantage of them doing circuit training before the game  ;D

as an aside i hear the game times have all been moved up 3 hours, i was sure looking forward to checking out all that young talent but don't think i can make it by 1.

HF is a school district that has the lowest pay scale in the area(regardless of classification) kids should be happy to have uniforms and coaches that care.  As far as loyalty is concerned the kids learn from their parents so NOPE no loyalty.  Taking your kids to where basketball is a sport they can win multiple state champions and get better every day would be a couple of great reasons to move, but you want to promote change and get rid of a good man a great father and person that has impacted many young men's lives. Your idea of promoting change is to under mind the coaches.  I bet you have emailed the coach and loudly complained and when your squeaky wheel did not get the greasing you felt necessary you aired your loyalty on the web.  Hit up ESPN and see if they have time to do a one special on your child's decisions "Lunch line Vs sandwich line" "Boxers Vs Briefs"  By the way having a big time D1 athlete at HF is like having offers from KY, Duke and UNC and choosing the worst team in Southland Conference because of academics.  These outstanding young players are missing out on so much by playing at one of the worst programs in all of SETX. Entitled is what you are you are entitled to all your opinions but when you go on a website and shout your loyalty it just sounds like sour grapes and moving on would be best for all concerned.  Sure fans in the stands have heard your loyalty long enough.

Alright I am going to throw my ingredients into the pot because I went to H-F once upon a time, and I believe I know a little bit about the Admin/coaching/teaching aspect of the situation at hand. Throughout my years at H-F as a student athlete I noticed that H-F was what I like to call a "stepping-stone school", and by that I mean that H-F was never a coach's final destination. It seems as though everyone was using H-F to get to greener pastures, or just took the job because that was the only thing available.

Now that I've said that, I would like to comment on the discussion about players transferring to other schools because of sports, and I would like to tell those players to take off your superstar glasses and stop looking at the world as if all the college scouts are here to watch "Little Johnny" play basketball, football, etc. More than likely none of these kids we speak of are superstar athletes and probably won't play basketball at a D-1 college, as there are very few athletes in all of SETX to do so, and even less in Hamshire-Fannett. If an athlete is D-1 caliber, people usually know before he even gets to high school. If the kid likes to play basketball, let him play for his hometown and not be like LeBron and "take his talents elsewhere". There is no pride in moving to the bigger/better school, because when you stay home, work hard, and build something that the community can support, it builds a sense of pride. That's how programs are built, not by everyone running to greener pastures. High school is about getting your education, making friends/memories on and off the court that you will remember for the rest of your life, maturing as an adult, and finding out what you want to do with the rest of your life.

[quote name="BLUEDOVE3" post="916796" timestamp="1290468952"]
[quote author=mfd814 link=topic=76459.msg916780#msg916780 date=1290467763]
Those lights are huge.  Just keep working , getting better everyday.  The lights will find you when its your time to shine.
[/quote]The Houston Hoops make those lights shine awful bright. You'll see it this year at The ESPN Center when your team gets there this summer.
[/quote] The HOUSTON Hoops did not make those light shine in the Pasadena Tour. BLUE. ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

[quote name="Choice" post="916900" timestamp="1290476579"]
HF is a school district that has the lowest pay scale in the area(regardless of classification) kids should be happy to have uniforms and coaches that care.  As far as loyalty is concerned the kids learn from their parents so NOPE no loyalty.  Taking your kids to where basketball is a sport they can win multiple state champions and get better every day would be a couple of great reasons to move, but you want to promote change and get rid of a good man a great father and person that has impacted many young men's lives. Your idea of promoting change is to under mind the coaches.  I bet you have emailed the coach and loudly complained and when your squeaky wheel did not get the greasing you felt necessary you aired your loyalty on the web.  Hit up ESPN and see if they have time to do a one special on your child's decisions "Lunch line Vs sandwich line" "Boxers Vs Briefs"  By the way having a big time D1 athlete at HF is like having offers from KY, Duke and UNC and choosing the worst team in Southland Conference because of academics.  These outstanding young players are missing out on so much by playing at one of the worst programs in all of SETX. Entitled is what you are you are entitled to all your opinions but when you go on a website and shout your loyalty it just sounds like sour grapes and moving on would be best for all concerned.  Sure fans in the stands have heard your loyalty long enough.
[/quote]Choice...I have never called for any coaches job! If the coach loses his job God forbid, in this economy that would be terrible! How dare you accuse me of getting rid of a coach. If the coach ever loses his job, it will not be because of me! I do not have that type of influence, money, or desire. If I had that type of influence, my call for ATTITUDE and CULTURE change would not fall on deaf ears. This coach has been in Hamshire long before my kids even entered the Middle School basketball scene. So, [i][b]TWO[/b][/i] months of me could not possibly get a coach fired. Your accusations are ludicrous and shows real shallowness. Most of your posts are jumbled running thoughts....hard to decipher.  If you cared so much for the coach, why would YOU be on this forum calling HIS program "one of the worse programs". Really? You need to assess your loyalty. Furthermore, you have entered a territory that I do not wish to discuss any longer. When you start talking about people losing their jobs, you have entered into unchartered territory. As a coach having tough skin is a must! Somebody is always gonna' have something to say. Just like starting a controversial thread....you gotta be ready for all the rocks being thrown.  I know quite a few parents that feel exactly how I feel, but I am the one out here taking the lumps...but it comes with the territory, although this thread was originally about making the best team of the best and why that is not happening in MY opinion. Hopefully the basketball coach will not ever have to endure people going to the Superintendent calling for his job like the previous AD.  Choice, We will remain in HF as long as the boys see fit. You nor anyone else can or will change that.  I pay taxes here. So seeing my face every game day is what you and anyone else with a problem will have to deal with...thats your fate. And you had better believe come tomorrow, I will be there with bells on....cheering my team on!

[quote name="BLUEDOVE3" post="917005" timestamp="1290482152"]
HF 9TH graders play @ 1pm
[/quote]Blue, the floor is yours.....I am done! Time for me to go back to the real world of work and bills. Two days straight of SETXSports has got me exhausted....lol.  How do you do it everyday? Oh, and don't know why people think I really care if they know that I happen to be your spouse? I have posted enough that everyone should know exactly who I am.

[quote name="CATMAN" post="917004" timestamp="1290482150"]
[quote author=BLUEDOVE3 link=topic=76459.msg916796#msg916796 date=1290468952]
[quote author=mfd814 link=topic=76459.msg916780#msg916780 date=1290467763]
Those lights are huge.  Just keep working , getting better everyday.  The lights will find you when its your time to shine.
[/quote] The HOUSTON Hoops did not make those light shine in the Pasadena Tour. BLUE. ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D
[/quote]

Not a guru but do have a couple of opinions, first with no disrespect, if a kid gets a letter at this age I used to call them an everybody letter, just add a kids name and bulk mail.  Even going into senior years kids will continue to get them.  As I am sure you are aware it is when the money starts coming for the scholarship is when the letters matter.  Those letters for Div 1 are few and far between.  Granted there are alot of schools out there but most kids think if a Lamar comes calling its a joke and they are way to good for that.  Reality can be a strange thing.  Was watching KY play tonight and and their 9th man was the former Mr Basketball in Kentucky.  Now barely plays.  The next level is something that most kids do not have the dedication for because of a couple reasons. First, if they are really good then they are not really used to getting coached aka yelled at, cursed at, having to work harder than they ever have.  In college sports they own you, plain and simple. There are not alot of one and done's out going to college.  Second, as long as football coaches are the AD basketball will always be 2nd or 3rd or whatever.  The reason this does not and will not happen at an HJ is because of the success of the program.  Could you imagine the fb coach going to Sutherland and saying, not gonna have your kids to day unil they get that work out done.  Believe me, it happens mnost other places.  Get rid of the FB AD and make it a separate position.  On the other hand, good luck with the year.

[quote name="Wildcatter" post="917110" timestamp="1290490900"]
Not a guru but do have a couple of opinions, first with no disrespect, if a kid gets a letter at this age I used to call them an everybody letter, just add a kids name and bulk mail.  Even going into senior years kids will continue to get them.  As I am sure you are aware it is when the money starts coming for the scholarship is when the letters matter.  Those letters for Div 1 are few and far between.  Granted there are alot of schools out there but most kids think if a Lamar comes calling its a joke and they are way to good for that.  Reality can be a strange thing.  Was watching KY play tonight and and their 9th man was the former Mr Basketball in Kentucky.  Now barely plays.  The next level is something that most kids do not have the dedication for because of a couple reasons. First, if they are really good then they are not really used to getting coached aka yelled at, cursed at, having to work harder than they ever have.  In college sports they own you, plain and simple. There are not alot of one and done's out going to college.  Second, as long as basketball coaches are the AD basketball will always be 2nd or 3rd or whatever.  The reason this does not and will not happen at an HJ is because of the success of the program.  Could you imagine the fb coach going to Sutherland and saying, not gonna have your kids to day unil they get that work out done.  Believe me, it happens mnost other places.  Get rid of the FB AD and make it a separate position.  On the other hand, good luck with the year.
[/quote]  Couldnt agree more about the AD needing to be a separate position.

[quote name="Wildcatter" post="917110" timestamp="1290490900"]
Not a guru but do have a couple of opinions, first with no disrespect, if a kid gets a letter at this age I used to call them an everybody letter, just add a kids name and bulk mail.  Even going into senior years kids will continue to get them.  As I am sure you are aware it is when the money starts coming for the scholarship is when the letters matter.  Those letters for Div 1 are few and far between.  Granted there are alot of schools out there but most kids think if a Lamar comes calling its a joke and they are way to good for that.  Reality can be a strange thing.  Was watching KY play tonight and and their 9th man was the former Mr Basketball in Kentucky.  Now barely plays.  The next level is something that most kids do not have the dedication for because of a couple reasons. First, if they are really good then they are not really used to getting coached aka yelled at, cursed at, having to work harder than they ever have.  In college sports they own you, plain and simple. There are not alot of one and done's out going to college.  Second, as long as football coaches are the AD basketball will always be 2nd or 3rd or whatever.  The reason this does not and will not happen at an HJ is because of the success of the program.  Could you imagine the fb coach going to Sutherland and saying, not gonna have your kids to day unil they get that work out done.  Believe me, it happens mnost other places.  Get rid of the FB AD and make it a separate position.  On the other hand, good luck with the year.
[/quote]Excellent points you make. All parents should be very aware of the pitfalls ahead that you bring up. The college letter was an example to teach what can happen IF you continue to put in the work. 

[quote name="team first" post="917191" timestamp="1290524825"]
This is not a coaching problem. It is a system problem. System most likely will not change. Any coach would have the same issues.Let me say it again! Universssalll off-seasssonnnnn!!!!!!!!!!! WOW........... which means??????????????? Help me!
[/quote]

Excuse me, but I was thinking that if the AD was independent with no loyalty to any one particular sport, the basketball program would get to do more of what would benefit its participants as opposed to making all athletes use the football conditioning program year round.  Say all you want, but "bigger, stronger, faster" is fine until it interferes with skill development.  Do you remember how "big, strong, and fast" Larry Bird was.  He was superior because he had his skills down and had a better basketball intellect than most.  That intellect does NOT get developed in the weight room nor do the skills.

[quote name="stevenash" post="917443" timestamp="1290545571"]
[quote author=team first link=topic=76459.msg917191#msg917191 date=1290524825]
This is not a coaching problem. It is a system problem. System most likely will not change. Any coach would have the same issues.Let me say it again! Universssalll off-seasssonnnnn!!!!!!!!!!! WOW........... which means??????????????? Help me!
[/quote]

Excuse me, but I was thinking that if the AD was independent with no loyalty to any one particular sport, the basketball program would get to do more of what would benefit its participants as opposed to making all athletes use the football conditioning program year round.  Say all you want, but "bigger, stronger, faster" is fine until it interferes with skill development.  Do you remember how "big, strong, and fast" Larry Bird was.  He was superior because he had his skills down and had a better basketball intellect than most.  That intellect does NOT get developed in the weight room nor do the skills.
[/quote]Post of the year!

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    yielder
    Newest Member
    yielder