Port Neches-Groves (8-4) vs. Manvel Mavericks (10-2) Predictions?

KFDM COOP

[quote name="BrenhamFan" post="916108" timestamp="1290391701"]
[quote author=liltex link=topic=76440.msg916039#msg916039 date=1290387962]
PNG has been in some close ball games lately.Indians need to tighten up the D a notch or 2 and they've got a shot to play another week.Hoping for success 2 ways as I want an all purple quarter final 8)
[/quote]

Yuk!  All purple?  Something's missing...  Hmm... ::) lol  

Manvel  42
PNG 31
[/quote]
Ah, come on man. Maybe there will be a green shirt in the crowd!

• Replies 298
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name="indnfan" post="916114" timestamp="1290391892"]
[quote author=BrenhamFan link=topic=76440.msg916108#msg916108 date=1290391701]
[quote author=liltex link=topic=76440.msg916039#msg916039 date=1290387962]
PNG has been in some close ball games lately.Indians need to tighten up the D a notch or 2 and they've got a shot to play another week.Hoping for success 2 ways as I want an all purple quarter final 8)
[/quote]

Yuk!  All purple?  Something's missing...  Hmm... ::) lol  

Manvel  42
PNG 31
[/quote]
Ah, come on man. Maybe there will be a green shirt in the crowd!
[/quote]

Oh there will be...  ;D

[quote name="badndn" post="916130" timestamp="1290392604"]
[quote author=tabasco link=topic=76440.msg916113#msg916113 date=1290391830]
Thought the Willis' train they would do when they kicked off was really cool. [/quote]

If they hadn't have stolen it from Brenham who was in their district last year, it may have been cool.
[/quote]

I was gonna say that too...  3 or 4 teams from our district have stolen it. >:(  I noticed that we quit doing it this season, probably for that reason.  It's a shame, cuz I really liked it too. :-\

[color=navy][b]Not trying to be-little PNG because we've always had pretty mutual respect for each other but I truly believe that you guys might be in for a rude awakening? I've seen some silly posts (homer-like) on this thread that have absolutely no merit in the outcome of this game but to be fair I've seen others that are valid claims, just not as much as the before mentioned. You guys have one common opponent and while I'm not sold on making comparisons like that because match-ups vary so much it's typically not a smart thing to go by but with the obvious scoring out comes it's just a little too obvious to overlook completely. Manvel completely dismantled TC 46-15 while PNG fell to TC 22-20. I took note where someone said TC played poorly in the second half of the season but with the exception of Ball High anyone could beat anyone in our district on any given night so that observation holds little water. I'm not sure if it was in this thread or the Dayton/LM thread but to the person who ridiculed Santa Fe you have no idea about the quality of SF's play this year. They managed to put a chink in Fw's armor (only loss) and they also totally destroyed Barbers Hill (35-7) who was a playoff team from the triangle while Santa Fe missed out on the playoffs due to a head to head loss to LM. In no way do I consider myself a high school football God of any sort but you guys better contain both of those QB's they rotate because they both can run and pass the ball very well. I know one is a D-1 prospect and I think the other is being looked at also by college recruiters. If you have a serious stud at the RB position you may find success running the ball as T.Wright had a track meet on them when we played each other which opened up the passing game. I'm not sure what their turnover ratio is overall but they turned it over to us 3 times and 3 times to Terry so that might be something you guys may capitalize on? To be quite honest, when all is said and done I truly believe Manvel is the team that will come out of this region but like they say that's why they play the games![/b][/color]

[quote name="xLmCoog88" post="916176" timestamp="1290395129"]
[color=navy][b]Not trying to be-little PNG because we've always had pretty mutual respect for each other but I truly believe that you guys might be in for a rude awakening? I've seen some silly posts (homer-like) on this thread that have absolutely no merit in the outcome of this game but to be fair I've seen others that are valid claims, just not as much as the before mentioned. You guys have one common opponent and while I'm not sold on making comparisons like that because match-ups vary so much it's typically not a smart thing to go by but with the obvious scoring out comes it's just a little too obvious to overlook completely. Manvel completely dismantled TC 46-15 while PNG fell to TC 22-20. I took note where someone said TC played poorly in the second half of the season but with the exception of Ball High anyone could beat anyone in our district on any given night so that observation holds little water. I'm not sure if it was in this thread or the Dayton/LM thread but to the person who ridiculed Santa Fe you have no idea about the quality of SF's play this year. They managed to put a chink in Fw's armor (only loss) and they also totally destroyed Barbers Hill (35-7) who was a playoff team from the triangle while Santa Fe missed out on the playoffs due to a head to head loss to LM. In no way do I consider myself a high school football God of any sort but you guys better contain both of those QB's they rotate because they both can run and pass the ball very well. I know one is a D-1 prospect and I think the other is being looked at also by college recruiters. If you have a serious stud at the RB position you may find success running the ball as T.Wright had a track meet on them when we played each other which opened up the passing game. I'm not sure what their turnover ratio is overall but they turned it over to us 3 times and 3 times to Terry so that might be something you guys may capitalize on? To be quite honest, when all is said and done I truly believe Manvel is the team that will come out of this region but like they say that's why they play the games![/b][/color]
[/quote]

Only 1 small correction...Barbers Hill is NOT from the Triangle.  ;D

Thanks for the assessment 88

[quote name="Cougtalk" post="916184" timestamp="1290395681"]
I've been hearing about Manvel all season. if what im hearing is right they should win. BUT i think PNG puts up another half a hundred in this one.
[/quote]

Nothng wrong with being the underdog.  The main thing is that we stayed healthy...and hungry!

[quote name="dayton" post="916224" timestamp="1290399298"]
[quote author=indianforever link=topic=76440.msg916198#msg916198 date=1290397024]
there is about 10 people in line as of 9:00 tonight!!
[/quote]

Awesome... ya'll are crazy!!!

It's been said a millions times. Nothing like HS football in Texas!
[/quote]

I knew there would be people out there tonight.  I am taking my chances and sending my kids during the day tomorrow since they are out of school and all.  May as well get them to earn their keep around  here.

[quote name="Cheermom4" post="916229" timestamp="1290399537"]
[quote author=dayton link=topic=76440.msg916224#msg916224 date=1290399298]
[quote author=indianforever link=topic=76440.msg916198#msg916198 date=1290397024]
[/quote]

[/quote]

I knew there would be people out there tonight.  I am taking my chances and sending my kids during the day tomorrow since they are out of school and all.  May as well get them to earn their keep around  here.
[/quote]
ya'll are at stallworth right?

Your kids shouldn't have issues snagging a few of the 8000 available, IMO.

[quote name="dayton" post="916231" timestamp="1290399615"]
[quote author=Cheermom4 link=topic=76440.msg916229#msg916229 date=1290399537]
[/quote]

[/quote]

I knew there would be people out there tonight.  I am taking my chances and sending my kids during the day tomorrow since they are out of school and all.  May as well get them to earn their keep around  here.
[/quote]
[/quote]

yeah stallworth 7 pm saturday

[quote name="dayton" post="916231" timestamp="1290399615"]
[quote author=Cheermom4 link=topic=76440.msg916229#msg916229 date=1290399537]
[/quote]

[/quote]

I knew there would be people out there tonight.  I am taking my chances and sending my kids during the day tomorrow since they are out of school and all.  May as well get them to earn their keep around  here.
[/quote]

[/quote]

That is what I figured also.  So I made the executive decision to not camp out and send the kids later in the day. 

[quote name="PNG Proud" post="916183" timestamp="1290395610"]
[quote author=xLmCoog88 link=topic=76440.msg916176#msg916176 date=1290395129]
[/quote]

Only 1 small correction...Barbers Hill is NOT from the Triangle.  ;D

Thanks for the assessment 88
[/quote]

[color=navy][b]Thanks for the Triangle info. but they're close enough because they don't come out of our area in the playoff brackets.  :)[/b][/color]

[b]From another thread posted by rollinac.  I think this is worth reposting on this thread.  Pretty good assessment of Manvel.[/b]

Re: Manvel vs. Washington updates
« Reply #19 on: November 19, 2010, 09:34:34 PM » Quote 

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote from: indianforever on November 19, 2010, 08:19:37 PM
does manvil have a good defense...give me some scouting reports please

Offense - 4 WR no huddle (3 wr 2 RB in the red zone).  Fast paced.  4 wr's are all small and really fast.  #5 rb is small and fast and the other one is taller and a little bigger physical back type.  They rotate QB's every series #7 starts and #8 comes in behind him.  Both are tall and athletic...7 is shorter but heavier 6'1" 215 I'd guess and 8 is 6'4" 195 ish.  I didn't notice one being any better than the other at really anything.  Both throw the ball well and both are quick on the inside.  They liked throwing the deep ball especially the post corner from the outside wr in the spread.  Inside guys ran underneath routes mostly.  It's tough to say if they do this all the time because Washington was playing a 4-3 straight man on the 4 wr with no safety.  The 3 LB's were spying the QB and RB (yes all 3).  There was little pass rush and both QB moved well in the pocket so why not throw the bomb every play.  The wr got behind the cb's just about every time and were on the money on all except 1 slight overthrow (off the fingertips and really shoulda been caught).  The RT is HUGE 6'5" 280+ and the rest of the o-line is 200-230.  Center is maybe 200.  Pass blocking technique was good...made contact early with good footwork across the board.  Run blocking was not good as Washington's interior line blew up the straight ahead run.  Only successful running plays were QB scrambles and misdirection draw traps (like the one PNG runs where the qb starts to roll right then hands off back to the left on the draw).

Defense - Base defense of 4-2-5 and they played cover 3 zone on every play.  Flats were wide open as the 2 strong safeties were good athletes but could not cover that much ground.  Every pass play Wash ran was a flood roll out so at least they were making some smart play calls.  They also got the running game going pretty well.  I wasn't very impressed with any of the defensive lineman of Manvel....RE was probably the best pass rusher and they were average size.  LB's would shoot the A gaps just about every first down.  They missed a lot of tackles but swarmed to the ball and eventually would corral the runner.  The 2 CB's were both REALLY good...one pick 6 one fumble return td.  Couldn't get much of a read on the FS as he played centerfield 15-20 yards off the line and they never really challenged him. 

All that being said Manvel was a pretty formidable team.  They have athletes everywhere, are well coached, and have what looks like a lot of depth.  They rotated so many players that I couldn't tell who the starters really were or if anyone was playing both ways.  They've got a lot of players.  Defense didn't look as good as the offense.  Wasn't a very good read team though as Washington would have had a really tough time beating Baytown Lee....looked like they were drawing up plays in the huddle. 

Manvel has good skill kids just like Willis did, the difference is, Manvel has an offensive line the size of PNG's. The Head Coach at Manvel runs the offense & callls all the plays, he is pass first & will go for it on 4th down when they are in their own end of the field. Manvel's defense is fast but much smaller. Bigger than Willis' D, but no match sizewise for PNG's O-line. Should be another high scoring game.

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    yielder
    Newest Member
    yielder