Projected Lyon Starters
No. Name Pos. Ht. Wt. Cl.-Exp. Hometown PPG RPG Other
42 Jacob Worlow F 6-6 240 Jr. Mountain Home, Ark. 2.7 4.3 2.0 Blks
45 Slater Belew C 6-7 200 So. Chattanooga, Tenn. 9.0 4.0
3 Anthony LaBellarte G 6-0 155 Fr. Nixa, Mo. 6.0 1.3 2.7 Assts
20 Andy Lee G 6-3 185 Sr. Hot Springs, Ark. 14.3 7.0
44 Kip Kelly G 6-5 170 Fr. Pea Ridge, Ark. 12.7 3.3

Here's why Roc is starting a lot of the returning players:

[quote]Steve Roccaforte will let his newcomers grow wings before they fly.

For that reason, don't expect the newest Lamar University men's basketball players to steal the show tonight.

Roccaforte said he plans to limit the number of newcomers on the floor to three during Friday's season-opening game against Lyon College at the Montagne Center.

"I don't think it's fair to take five new guys and throw them out there with a crowd in the first real game and say, 'OK, boys, go to work,'" Roccaforte said. "I don't think that would benefit them and I don't think it would benefit us."

The Cardinals open the season with a 15-player roster that includes eight newcomers and one player who redshirted last season. That leaves six players who played any minutes last season.[/quote]

http://www.beaumontenterprise.com/sports/local/lu_newcomers_to_be_eased_in_during_opener.html

Personally, I don't think he wants to upset Miles and Harper. By starting them early in the season and giving others time to out-perform them he can tell them they lost their starting jobs on the court. Then it won't be as big a deal as the HC starting a new guy from day one.

It going to be hard to deal with all the ego's that go with a couple of players who have started the past couple of seasons.

Lamar just brought in better talent this year. I promise you this will not be the starting line-up in a month.

[quote name="coachacola" post="905311" timestamp="1289581173"]
I think it's telling that after all the praise that Roc gave Custer, saying he's really improved and he's the team captain, that Brown is starting instead of him.  For those who attended the scrimmages did Brown play better than Custer?
[/quote]

Defensively, probably yes but not rebounding or offensively (Custer is limited offensively) scores by offensive rebounds or an outside jumper. He doesn't have great post-up moves. JMO

My question is why is Harper listed as a guard? He reminds me of a bigger Teddy Davis. He has unreal talent but can't shoot the ball with accuracy. If you don't believe me. Look at last seasons stats and the stats from the two scrimmages this year. James, Nelson, Miles, Lynch, Davis and Minor can all shoot the rock better than Harper. He needs to be a undersized 4. Most of his points come on lay-ups and dunks. I'm not "hating" on Harper. I just don't see his talent being used wisely.

He has a good mid-range game and can dunk the ball with authority.

[font=Courier]Davis is legit. I can say that Harper has improved and looked good in the scrimmages...Hope that carries over into games.

Still waiting for a healthy Mike James, then I'll put my 2 cents in.

Lyon has already played 5 games, but it shouldn't matter.

I did notice Tennessee and Auburn lost home exhibition games to Division II teams. University of Indianapolis defeated Tennessee 79-64 and Columbus State beat Auburn 54-52.

[/font]

[quote name="bigred360" post="905334" timestamp="1289582496"]
My question is why is Harper listed as a guard? He reminds me of a bigger Teddy Davis. He has unreal talent but can't shoot the ball with accuracy. If you don't believe me. Look at last seasons stats and the stats from the two scrimmages this year. James, Nelson, Miles, Lynch, Davis and Minor can all shoot the rock better than Harper. He needs to be a undersized 4. Most of his points come on lay-ups and dunks. I'm not "hating" on Harper. I just don't see his talent being used wisely.

He has a good mid-range game and can dunk the ball with authority.
[/quote]

I think Harper will average 10+ PPG this year. He had some great dunks in the scrimmage and he can hit the open jumper.

I know this sounds cliche, but time will tell the group of players he has. I'm excited to see what we have on the court tonight.

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    ProfessorMandela12
    Newest Member
    ProfessorMandela12