Could LU coaches be over their heads

hipster

[quote name="HardHitter" post="901681" timestamp="1289237642"]
We sure need and OC.....thats for sure.....When Lamar hired Whitten the other schools laughed  :D
[/quote]

Don't worry, we're still laughing. Now you know what it was like to follow Bearkat football the last two seasons. It stings.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name="UNLV" post="900791" timestamp="1289164303"]
Yes, way over their heads. I am now thinking Woodard was a mistake. He is showing no leadership, no team discipline, and no creativity.
I didn't expect Lamar to win much this year, but I did expect steady improvement with something to look forward too next year. This team is not showing improvement, no heart, NOTHING to get excited about for next year. Lamar has a talent defense but ran with simple jr high schemes. LU offense runs 5 plays, 4 passes and 1 run. The most simple offense in all college football. 
[/quote]

I definitely think the coaching could be better.  You are right about the vanilla defense and unimaginative offense.  However, you are off base with the 'no heart' comment.  I think, except SFA, that we've played very hard.  And I don't see where you come up with the 'no discipline' comment.  At least from their play on the field.  I haven't noticed us getting a lot of stupid penalties or many late hit penalties at all?  I'm curious, how has our penalty situation been?  Anyone know?

[quote name="AggiesAreWe" post="901628" timestamp="1289233186"]
This subject deserves only this response:

::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::)
[/quote]

exactly.  Actually my response would be..............are all who responded in over their heads when making this judgement?  The answer: A resounding yes!!!!!

I believe some of you have lost your marbles if you thought LU would dominate in football this year. I agree there is plenty of room for improvement but already questioning the coaching...are you serious??? You can have the best of players but until you play some games....you do not know if you have a team. Give the coach a couple of seasons before you start your conspiracy theories.

[quote name="LU1991" post="902082" timestamp="1289263942"]
I believe some of you have lost your marbles if you thought LU would dominate in football this year. I agree there is plenty of room for improvement but already questioning the coaching...are you serious??? You can have the best of players but until you play some games....you do not know if you have a team. Give the coach a couple of seasons before you start your conspiracy theories.
[/quote]Can you post proof of anyone saying LU would dominate in football this year?

[quote name="UNLV" post="902129" timestamp="1289267316"]
[quote author=LU1991 link=topic=75703.msg902082#msg902082 date=1289263942]
[/quote]Can you post proof of anyone saying LU would dominate in football this year?
[/quote]no he cannot, hence the only 3 posts he's made. (including that rediculous one)

ok year one so its stupid to even argue about this look at it this way when a coach gets fired and the AD brings in a new one he doesnt tell him you have one year to turn it around or your out he gets atleast 2 to 3 years minimum. so when you build a program from the ground up with one recruiting class remember to be patient so let this year play out then we can start this topic next year when we can see progression or degression then this subject is relavent JMO

I'm not a coach and think another person in the profession will give a better comment than I but here it goes. I am not looking at the win loss record but to which teams we lost to and the manner in which we have been beat. South Alabama should have never shut us out at home. North Dakota should not have beat us 31-6. Georgia State, we had a chance to beat them if the defense could have make a couple of stops on 3rd down. I'm not saying we should have beat all three teams but I'll address the problems I think the Cardinals are facing this season.

1. Special teams. We've had a couple punts blocks this season. Last week we should have had a TO because instead of fair-cathing the ball on a pooch kick the up guy makes a decision to attempt to run with the ball. The kicker keeps missing FG's and extra point attempts. We've had a punt returned for a TD against SHSU. The kicker or the coaching staffs plan to pooch kickoff gives the other team field position which is another area of concern. You can't lose the battle of field position every game and expect to win.

2. The offense. Where do I being? I'm not impressed at all with the man calling the plays be that the Head Coach or the OC. I assume it is the OC since Coach Woodard is a defensive guy. I know we are young but so are 2 of the 3 teams I mentioned earlier. We can't run the ball for yardage or for TD's. Too many 3 and out possessions. Then the TO's are killing the team and keeping the defense on the field too long. Hopefully, Prewitt can manage the game better that Bevil and learn that sometimes it is better to punt the ball than throw into triple coverage. Oh, I forgot we aren't great at punting the ball.  We can't run the ball but no one wants to point fingers at the OL or the RB's. So, there is only one other place to place the blame and that is with the OC and his schemes for running the ball.

3. I do see progress with the defense and they seem to be tackling better. Starting to cause a few TO's and they are getting better at getting off the field on 3rd down. They are getting more people to the ball and if one area of the team should be hurting due to injuries it is the defense. However, IMO they are the one unit that is showing some progress.

[quote name="LamarFanatic" post="902478" timestamp="1289320696"]
ok year one so its stupid to even argue about this look at it this way when a coach gets fired and the AD brings in a new one he doesnt tell him you have one year to turn it around or your out he gets atleast 2 to 3 years minimum. so when you build a program from the ground up with one recruiting class remember to be patient so let this year play out then we can start this topic next year when we can see progression or degression then this subject is relavent JMO
[/quote]

Actually, we had two recruiting classes and we are heavy with FBS and juco transfers. Meaning? I think the coaches were expecting to win this season. I don't think there needs to be a Head Coaching dismissal but there are a couple of other coaches who Coach Woodard really needs to reevaluate for his long term success here at Lamar.

No, you are correct we don't have the full allotment of 65 scholarships. I believe they have 57 right now. But, there were two classes with one red-shirting a year.

I think Coach Woodard will have a nice class this year with recruits being able to experience the game day atmosphere and the facilities here at Lamar.

I just think we can do better at a couple of coaching positions but that is just my personal opinion.

That is the same as people thinking Coach Roc needs to be releaved of his duties. It is just an opinion.

Maybe these coaches will prove me wrong. Hopefully, Coach Roc will prove his critics wrong too.

Ok, IMHO the hallmark of good coaching is that the team gets better as the season goes on under ordinary circumstances.  If we go 0-11 but get better as the season progresses then I think that is the evidence of good coaching instead of going 3-8 maybe 4-7 but digressing as the season goes on.  I don't have the warm fuzzy that we are getting better with 2 games left.  I'll let you guys who are more knowledgable than I debate my proposition. 

ok i would rather win 3 or 4 games than 0 and say well the team is getting better obviously they are terrible to have 0 wins so getting better doesnt mean much for them cause u wont save ur job by telling people that. only winning keeps your job. im not here to argue. year one is almost over lets bring this topic back up next year 

Maybe I am missing something but have not we had the same amount of time as So Bama who chose to play juco and other institutions rather than waste a year not knowing what you had and Ga St.  I have only seen or heard of one recruit and that is a jr from HJ.  Someone recruited who we have or at least thought they could play, now who that is I cannot say for sure, but what in the heck did we do for two yrs?  Someone who has better insight please enlighten me

[quote name="LU1991" post="903014" timestamp="1289360560"]
All you guys have some legitimate arguments but I still think you need to wait and see what changes Coach W makes in the off season and what recruits he attracts before making anyone walk the plank.

It's way too early for this thread.
[/quote]

don't think its too early for whitten

My point was what did we do for 2 yrs. prior to this season.  Were we evaluating athletes or designing buildings?  I also know that signing date is in Feb. I just wanted to know if we have any quality recruits close to signing.  Hopefully this is better Ruckdad.

Lets compare apples to apples.  Lamar at GSU two first year programs against each other.  Total offense from that game was [color=red][b]LAMAR[/b][/color] 357 GSU 322.  Penalties LAMAR 5 - 45 GSU 8 - 65.  3rd down conversions LAMAR 6 - 14  42%  GSU 7 - 15 46% . TURNOVERS were even at 1.  LAMAR loses the game by [b]6[/b].

[b]NOTHING [/b] in those stats say that LAMAR coaches are in over there heads.  

[quote name="Texantagonise" post="903219" timestamp="1289401370"]
Lets compare apples to apples.  Lamar at GSU two first year programs against each other.  Total offense from that game was [color=red][b]LAMAR[/b][/color] 357 GSU 322.  Penalties LAMAR 5 - 45 GSU 8 - 65.  3rd down conversions LAMAR 6 - 14  42%  GSU 7 - 15 46% . TURNOVERS were even at 1.  LAMAR loses the game by [b]6[/b].

[b]NOTHING [/b] in those stats say that LAMAR coaches are in over there heads.  
[/quote]The stats 2 weeks ago had the Dallas Cowboys a top 5 NFL team.

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    yielder
    Newest Member
    yielder