What yall know about District 22-3A basketball this upcoming year?

[quote name="UKCats" post="893798" timestamp="1288635352"]
The first two are good, but what did Liberty and Huffman do that makes them worthy of a 3rd place pick? Splendora or Tarkington have just as good a shot as the next guy.
[/quote]

Based on what I personally saw last year (saw Splendora, Shepherd, and Tarkington, along with the top two teams mentioned) I wasn't too impressed with those three teams.

I say Liberty is the next team after Cleveland and Coldspring.

[quote name="AggiesAreWe" post="893803" timestamp="1288635845"]
[quote author=UKCats link=topic=75079.msg893798#msg893798 date=1288635352]
The first two are good, but what did Liberty and Huffman do that makes them worthy of a 3rd place pick? Splendora or Tarkington have just as good a shot as the next guy.
[/quote]

Based on what I personally saw last year (saw Splendora, Shepherd, and Tarkington, along with the top two teams mentioned) I wasn't too impressed with those three teams.

I say Liberty is the next team after Cleveland and Coldspring.
[/quote]

I know this is not a fight worth picking since you are the SETX Basketball guru, but I have a hard time putting liberty at 3rd based on last years statistics. We are talking about a Liberty team that only won two district games and had 100 put up on them by two different teams in district.

[quote name="UKCats" post="893877" timestamp="1288641598"]
I will agree with you though that none were very impressive. I think in this district the first two spots are pretty obvious and the last one is a total coin flip. Sounds kind of like district 21-3A
[/quote]

Nope. WOS has a firm grasp on that 3rd spot. They beat HJ last year in district and gave Silsbee a very good game in the regional quarterfinals.

it's Clear to me that these are all opinions, there may be a few educated guesses in there... based on the summer league i seen most of the above teams play in and their performances from last year and what they're bringin back i say...
1. coldspring/liberty
2. cleveland

in summer league liberty SMASHED cleveland and yes their players were the including ced reed...

liberty's starting line-up...

pg- jordan jones sophomore 5-9
sg- tommie stewart junior 5-10
f- daniel fitzwater sophomore 6-7
f- tevin mouton senior 6-1
c- shaq anderson junior- 6-3

Returning for the Panthers is starting point guard Jordan Jones. Playing alongside Jones will by Tommy Stewart, a sophomore who couldn’t play on varsity last year because he transferred schools.

“Jones and Stewart could give Liberty one of the best back-courts in the district in terms of ability,” Woods said.

Along with eight guards in the roster, the Panthers will gave three big men to work with including 6’7” sophomore Daniel Fitzwater, 6’3” junior Shaquille Anderson and 6’1” senior Tevin Mouton.

While Fitzwater is the tallest player on the Liberty roster, fans may not always find him under the basket, Woods said.

“Don’t be surprised if Dan is not the inside guy,” Woods said. “He’s really developed his perimeter shooting. In the Coldspring game, he went 6-of-7 from around the 3-point area. We really worked on that, and by the end of the season, he started knocking down big shots. So, in terms of stretching a defense in the perimeter, he might be one our best shooters.”

Look out now. . .many a state champion has been crowned in Summer League  :D. I assure you the majority of the district teams were not "whole" over the summer. I know for a fact that Splendora and Tarkington's summer league teams were composed almost completely of sophomores and freshman. I watched Liberty play Tarkington in summer league and it was a 4 point game with one upperclassmen on Tarkington's team. So you will have to excuse me for not crowning the panthers as an advancing team just yet.

• 2 weeks later...
[quote name="UKCats" post="902691" timestamp="1289336636"]
Look out now. . .many a state champion has been crowned in Summer League  :D. I assure you the majority of the district teams were not "whole" over the summer. I know for a fact that Splendora and Tarkington's summer league teams were composed almost completely of sophomores and freshman. I watched Liberty play Tarkington in summer league and it was a 4 point game with one upperclassmen on Tarkington's team. So you will have to excuse me for not crowning the panthers as an advancing team just yet.
[/quote]

neither was liberty's by the way... but like i said they'd be good an i think they're play has spoken so thx for makin me look good

[quote name="dreski" post="920355" timestamp="1290897394"]
[quote author=UKCats link=topic=75079.msg902691#msg902691 date=1289336636]
[/quote]

neither was liberty's by the way... but like i said they'd be good an i think they're play has spoken so thx for makin me look good
[/quote]

Notice I said the MAJORITY of the district teams. . .so that could include Liberty (by the way)  :P And as far as Liberty's play speaking for itself, Houston Heights is terrible and Dayton is missing several studs thanks to the football playoffs. If they can match up with Manvel or La Vega and come away with a win then I will give them a little credit. Thanks for being an over zealous fan, but you should wait on a win with some substance.

[quote name="AggiesAreWe" post="921123" timestamp="1290923811"]
How about this for comparison sake's:

Tarkington 69
Hardin       66

Liberty      79
Hardin       44

Look's as though Liberty handled Hardin easily while Tarkington struggled with Hardin, even being down to the Hornets by 20 at one time.

[/quote]Sometimes some teams match up better than other teams. Maybe Hardin's style and their players just match up better with Tarkington ;)

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    yielder
    Newest Member
    yielder