concession stand

chevy13

We were there during that time!!!!!  Yep, I know who you are.  I see Nellie every now and again.  I see her daughter a lot when I stop by (Name withheld) to buy a soda.  After TCLL went under (or whatever you call it), the boys played in BCLL for several years.  My youngest (the football player now) decided Baseball was not for him so he quit.  My oldest played there until he hit high school and now plays strictly for the school.

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name="queenb77630" post="893918" timestamp="1288643480"]
We were there during that time!!!!!  Yep, I know who you are.  I see Nellie every now and again.  I see her daughter a lot when I stop by (Name withheld) to buy a soda.  After TCLL went under (or whatever you call it), the boys played in BCLL for several years.  My youngest (the football player now) decided Baseball was not for him so he quit.  My oldest played there until he hit high school and now plays strictly for the school.
[/quote]

good deal queenb!  Yeah,,,the money just wasn't there for the repairs, and the county further complicated the problem by allowing hurricane debris to be dumped there without the league's permission.  Like I said before, too many complainer and very littel doers like you and the few who helped...

QueenB I have to agree with you on that. Bridge City knows how to make a good burger and add Jalapenos if you need them.

This year during Baseball season I am going to get a group together and judge different concession stand food. It will be fun and tasty. Send me a private message and in it put what qualifies you to be on the team, I will pick 3 others that are willing to travel to a few local games around the area and sample the fare... Who's in????

[quote name="mfd814" post="893425" timestamp="1288596197"]
Again,  small children, toddlers, and even breast feeding is appropriate.  Just no coolers, picnics for everyone, or if you must , have it at your car.  IF there is not a rule in place at your league, its all good.  But if there is, please be understanding. 
[/quote]

I actually support the breastfeeding thing.  I'm just sayin...

[quote name="MoFo" post="893811" timestamp="1288636361"]
Elhector you are in the wrong league, or you need to have a serious talk to your board. Last week I reffed, ran the chains, concessioned, finally got to coach, and then I got to stay late and help clean up. This is a typical game day for all of our coaches and parents
[/quote]

Amen & thanks MoFo!  I am sure Elharrasser was referring to me at the beginning of his rant; however, I am dealing in facts, not assumptions.  I take part in all facets of participation.  Previous Board Member, Coach, Spectator, Volunteer (including cleaning, mowing, watering and striping fields) and most importantly Parent of an enthusiastic young player.

[quote name="GetSome" post="894618" timestamp="1288710989"]
[quote author=MoFo link=topic=74969.msg893811#msg893811 date=1288636361]
Elhector you are in the wrong league, or you need to have a serious talk to your board. Last week I reffed, ran the chains, concessioned, finally got to coach, and then I got to stay late and help clean up. This is a typical game day for all of our coaches and parents
[/quote]

Amen & thanks MoFo!  I am sure Elharrasser was referring to me at the beginning of his rant; however, I am dealing in facts, not assumptions.  I take part in all facets of participation.  Previous Board Member, Coach, Spectator, Volunteer (including cleaning, mowing, watering and striping fields) and most importantly Parent of an enthusiastic young player.
[/quote]

Then, Get Some, I apologize...you are like the queenb, in that you put in the time in the non-glamorous positions as well as coaching...however...how many have you seen just like the guy who I first noted?  Not just football, but any league?  Some of them think you have to bow down to them because they are coaches.  Work the fields, work the concession stand, pick up trash...it's about the kids...

Like I told queenb...maybe I just got tired of the ones who thought just paying their money and showing up gave them an excuse to be idiots.   

[quote name="GetSome" post="894618" timestamp="1288710989"]
[/quote]

Amen & thanks MoFo!  I am sure Elharrasser was referring to me at the[b] beginning of his rant[/b]; however, I am dealing in facts, not assumptions.  I take part in all facets of participation.  Previous Board Member, Coach, Spectator, Volunteer (including cleaning, mowing, watering and striping fields) and most importantly Parent of an enthusiastic young player.
[/quote]

A Rant AND disgruntled parent/concession stand worker

[quote name="thetragichippy" post="894716" timestamp="1288717436"]
[quote author=GetSome link=topic=74969.msg894618#msg894618 date=1288710989]
[/quote]

Amen & thanks MoFo!  I am sure Elharrasser was referring to me at the[b] beginning of his rant[/b]; however, I am dealing in facts, not assumptions.  I take part in all facets of participation.  Previous Board Member, Coach, Spectator, Volunteer (including cleaning, mowing, watering and striping fields) and most importantly Parent of an enthusiastic young player.
[/quote]

A Rant AND disgruntled parent/concession stand worker
[/quote]

/Board Member/Grass Cutter/Umpire...lol

Elhector,

I have been a coach and helped out around the field as well. I have not thought about trying to get on any board because I don't like the politics that go with it.  I would prefer to pay my money, coach the kids and have a good time.

As for the concession stand, I really don't think the few people I see bringing in food make that much of a difference. What I do think would make a difference if the concession stand was run more like a business than a kid's Lemonade stand. Most concession stands I have seen have no accounting at all.....or should I say, no accounting that would pass in any business I have run. Again, just my thoughts, they are not directed at any one organization.

I know as a coach, I put up with lot of "stuff" from parents. Not all, but you always have that one or two that get under your skin. I know that going in, yet I continue to coach.......why?  Because at the end of the day it's all worth it......at least for me.

So, try and keep a positive attitude.......remember, its all about the kids

[quote name="thetragichippy" post="894808" timestamp="1288721190"]
Elhector,

I have been a coach and helped out around the field as well. I have not thought about trying to get on any board because I don't like the politics that go with it.  I would prefer to pay my money, coach the kids and have a good time.

As for the concession stand, I really don't think the few people I see bringing in food make that much of a difference. What I do think would make a difference if the concession stand was run more like a business than a kid's Lemonade stand. Most concession stands I have seen have no accounting at all.....or should I say, no accounting that would pass in any business I have run. Again, just my thoughts, they are not directed at any one organization.

I know as a coach, I put up with lot of "stuff" from parents. Not all, but you always have that one or two that get under your skin. I know that going in, yet I continue to coach.......why?  Because at the end of the day it's all worth it......at least for me.

So, try and keep a positive attitude.......remember, its all about the kids

[/quote]

T'hippy,  Your last comment makes more sense than all of our back and forth BS.  It is what I have tried to convey from the beginning.  It is a non-issue.  Thanks for wrapping it up so plainly.  Everyone else, take note...

Hippy, Don't disagree at all...we used to make a deposit every night, and kept track of expenses.  It's not difficult.

I don't disagree that if a few bring in food for various reasons that it's not a problem...but I think many of them (boards and volunteers) have seen it become a problem, which is why the signs went up.  If there was a problem before, respect the signs and the reason for them.  It oculd have been that the league was spending money to stock a concession stand, and the majority of people were bringing in food from elsewhere, causing the league to lose money, and then the "fans" were compounding the problem by throwing the trash on the ground, when trash cans were placed close to the stands.  Also, when you have folks like queenb that have a legit reason to bring in food, the "do-nothing but gripes"  see it as a right that they aren't getting...again, it goes back to the 5% rule...

Come on...boards are fun!... :D  Which is why I no longer do it...I'm too danged soured on the lack of help and the abundance of complaints that would get resolved if more people helped...

[quote name="MoFo" post="893811" timestamp="1288636361"]
[/quote]
You reffed???

I just love how some of us buy the concession items, unload it , cook it, sell it, pick it up off the ground and the parking lot and some of us just complain about what we run out of or what we don't have that they want!  Jump on the work truck, we'd be happy to let you drive for a while!

[quote name="mythreesons" post="896666" timestamp="1288900930"]
I just love how some of us buy the concession items, unload it , cook it, sell it, pick it up off the ground and the parking lot and some of us just complain about what we run out of or what we don't have that they want!  Jump on the work truck, we'd be happy to let you drive for a while!
[/quote]

hear hear from one who has done all of the above!!  ;D

• 1 year later...
[quote name="GetSome" post="890518" timestamp="1288394913"]
[quote author=jg69421080 link=topic=74969.msg885908#msg885908 date=1287888659]
For all of you that attending any games this weekend that disreguarded the signs everyone puts out about no outside food or drink I just want to say thanks. Some of you people do not understand that referees cost money $50 a game per referee. That means for just 4 games it costs the home team $550. I am not going to  mention any town names today, and it wasn't all people, but some of you who walked past 2 signs in neon and continued to disreguard the sign I again thank you.
[/quote]

Dear jg6942..br549,

Aside from the urge to correct your spelling and grammar, I would also like to say, quit complaining about trivial stuff that really has no effect on the football games or the league in general.  These STJFL teams raise plenty of money.  I know, I pay quite a bit for my son to play every year.  I also coach his team.  The league has a surplus of funds [u]every[/u] year.  Have you ever gone over the speed limit...ever?  There are signs that prominently post the speed limit.  There are people that die in car wrecks every day due to speeding.  My insurance premiums raise every year due to the high cost of auto repair, medical bills and life insurance payouts.  Thanks for speeding and causing my insurance premiums to skyrocket.  Sounds stupid, doesn't it.  Well, so does your post.
[/quote]

Sorry this post just showed...but you are an idiot....small leagues who don't have a lot of corporate sponsors barely get by....we pay the refs out of the concession stand...you don't know half of what you think you know...just because you pay a bunch of money for your kid doesn't mean every league has enough money for everything so go back into your little world and let the rest of us deal with reality

You could charge admission like several of the fields do, this would help guarantee some income although it will be hard to police as well because most fields have multiple entrances. I personally dont like concession food and wouldnt buy it if I had too. I will bring a cooler and keep it in my truck if I get "policed" too hard.

[quote name="Booger" post="1252894" timestamp="1346109656"]
You could charge admission like several of the fields do, this would help guarantee some income although it will be hard to police as well because most fields have multiple entrances. I personally dont like concession food and wouldnt buy it if I had too. I will bring a cooler and keep it in my truck if I get "policed" too hard.
[/quote]

I agree, Booger (did I really agree with a guy called "Booger" lol).[quote author=jg69421080 link=topic=74969.msg1252832#msg1252832 date=1346102981]
[quote author=GetSome link=topic=74969.msg890518#msg890518 date=1288394913]
[quote author=jg69421080 link=topic=74969.msg885908#msg885908 date=1287888659]
For all of you that attending any games this weekend that disreguarded the signs everyone puts out about no outside food or drink I just want to say thanks. Some of you people do not understand that referees cost money $50 a game per referee. That means for just 4 games it costs the home team $550. I am not going to  mention any town names today, and it wasn't all people, but some of you who walked past 2 signs in neon and continued to disreguard the sign I again thank you.
[/quote]

Sorry this post just showed...but you are an idiot....small leagues who don't have a lot of corporate sponsors barely get by....we pay the refs out of the concession stand...you don't know half of what you think you know...just because you pay a bunch of money for your kid doesn't mean every league has enough money for everything so go back into your little world and[b] let the rest of us deal with reality[/b][/quote]

And the reality of the situation is, if you served something healthy to eat, I would be first in line at your concession stand. I don't have a kid that plays, yet I help mow the fields, cook and serve at the concession stand, and help with many fundraisers to keep our boys playing a game that they enjoy...so I will be sure to wave at you as I bring my healthy option to eat at the ball park past you. If it makes you feel better, I do buy my water from the concession stand.  Just not eating the food.

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    yielder
    Newest Member
    yielder