Could Lamar leave the Southland Conference?

[quote name="the sports guy" post="862418" timestamp="1285943683"]
Off topic a little.......but every time I read an article from the Enterprise, I look to the left of the page and see a picture of some thug.  I have to remind myself that the picture isnt the guy they are talking about in the article. :D
[/quote]

I think the same thing.  :D

[quote name="the sports guy" post="862418" timestamp="1285943683"]
Off topic a little.......but every time I read an article from the Enterprise, I look to the left of the page and see a picture of some thug.  I have to remind myself that the picture isnt the guy they are talking about in the article. :D
[/quote]I passed the comment on to a contact of mine at the Enterprise... maybe they'll do something about it...

[quote name="puddin tane" post="862743" timestamp="1285969519"]
[quote author=the sports guy link=topic=73774.msg862695#msg862695 date=1285964196]
Everyone seems to want them to move up in a hurry.  I am just a stupid hillbilly but......lets get our feet wet before we just dive in?

[/quote]
agree, might want to wait and see what attendance does the next couple of years
[/quote]
We haven't even played an SLC game yet, just got pounded 71-3 and we are already going FBS.  Man, this is awesome.  At this rate, in 4 years we will be 0-10, in the SEC and playing in a BCS bowl!!

[quote name="coachacola" post="862454" timestamp="1285946613"]
[quote author=the sports guy link=topic=73774.msg862418#msg862418 date=1285943683]
[/quote]

I think the same thing.   :D
[/quote]

probably employed by the district

[quote name="the sports guy" post="862695" timestamp="1285964196"]
Everyone seems to want them to move up in a hurry.  I am just a stupid hillbilly but......lets get our feet wet before we just dive in?

[/quote]Everyone where?  This forum is 95 percent stay in the football dying Southland.

[quote name="UNLV" post="863889" timestamp="1286032589"]
[quote author=the sports guy link=topic=73774.msg862695#msg862695 date=1285964196]
Everyone seems to want them to move up in a hurry.  I am just a stupid hillbilly but......lets get our feet wet before we just dive in?

[/quote]Everyone where?  This forum is 95 percent stay in the football dying Southland.
[/quote]
Not from what I have read.  

I am not saying that we need to stay in the Southland for ever, or untill it dies.  I just believe that we need about five years of.....everything.  Recruiting, Coaching, Promotion, ect.  

The Lamar Football Program will get better, bigger and stronger over the next five years.  Then go Big Time.  

In todays college football world....everything is up for change. I believe change for Lamar will be easier than most think it will be......in five years or so.

[quote name="UNLV" post="863889" timestamp="1286032589"]

[/quote]Everyone where?  This forum is 95 percent stay in the football dying Southland.
[/quote]

you need a defibrillator for your beloved WAC...may be too late,tho...send flowers  Go Idaho? ???

[quote name="the sports guy" post="863914" timestamp="1286035617"]
[quote author=UNLV link=topic=73774.msg863889#msg863889 date=1286032589]
Everyone seems to want them to move up in a hurry.  I am just a stupid hillbilly but......lets get our feet wet before we just dive in?

[/quote]Everyone where?  This forum is 95 percent stay in the football dying Southland.
[/quote]
Not from what I have read.  

I am not saying that we need to stay in the Southland for ever, or untill it dies.  I just believe that we need about five years of.....everything.  Recruiting, Coaching, Promotion, ect.  

The Lamar Football Program will get better, bigger and stronger over the next five years.  Then go Big Time.  

In todays college football world....everything is up for change. I believe change for Lamar will be easier than most think it will be......in five years or so.
[/quote]
dang..a voice of reason

BOONE, N.C. -- Appalachian State has knocked off one of college football's top teams. Now the Mountaineers are thinking about joining the big boys.

The school, known for its stunning upset of Michigan in 2007 and its three straight national titles last decade, announced Thursday it will evaluate shifting from the Football Championship Subdivision to the Bowl Subdivision.

The feasibility study could take up to a year.

"With the changing Division I landscape and the unprecedented success that our football program has enjoyed on and off the field in recent years, the time is right to analyze all of our options as a Division I athletics department and football program," athletic director Charlie Cobb said.

Appalachian State joins fellow Southern Conference member Georgia Southern and Montana in beginning discussions about moving to the FBS.

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=5634899

The article should add Georgia St as a move up too. Appalachian State, Georgia Southern, and Georgia st would be filling
spots in CUSA and Sunbelt. Then when all openings are filled, then Lamar can decide to join FBS. Ya don't get more SETX
mentality than that.

If Lamar was winning consecutive national championships and were to beat a perennial powerhouse like Michigan no one one this board would question a move to FBS. 

We are four games removed from being A START-UP PROGRAM.  The lack of progress in a move to FBS is not "SETX mentality".  It's common sense. 

Show me our feasibility study results, and I'll listen. 

[quote name="SabineRavine" post="865537" timestamp="1286204491"]
If Lamar was winning consecutive national championships and were to beat a perennial powerhouse like Michigan no one one this board would question a move to FBS. 

We are four games removed from being A START-UP PROGRAM.  The lack of progress in a move to FBS is not "SETX mentality".  It's common sense. 

Show me our feasibility study results, and I'll listen. 
[/quote]If Lamar was winning FCS national championships, then your excuse would be why move to FBS where we have no chance of winning a NC.
Stop trying to pretend you have an open mind.

Guys - the Southland conference is dying - and will probably flat line in less than three years.  UTSA and Texas State are gone.  Nicholls, Northwestern State, Southeast Louisiana and McNeese are facing huge budget cuts.  Sam Houston is looking for a way out.  SFA won't be far behind Sam.  The powers that be at the University have to be looking several years ahead - and that has to include conference realignment.

I would love for them to move to FBS.  and it may have to come sooner than later if things in the southland shake out badly.

[quote name="Ruckdad" post="865593" timestamp="1286209676"]
Guys - the Southland conference is dying - and will probably flat line in less than three years.  UTSA and Texas State are gone.  Nicholls, Northwestern State, Southeast Louisiana and McNeese are facing huge budget cuts.  Sam Houston is looking for a way out.  SFA won't be far behind Sam.  The powers that be at the University have to be looking several years ahead - and that has to include conference realignment.

I would love for them to move to FBS.  and it may have to come sooner than later if things in the southland shake out badly.
[/quote]The SLC is not dying. The SLC is facing dropping football or bringing in 4-6 DII football. So it is not dying as a conference, but
will take a huge hit in football if not dropping football. Yet many here thinks LU will be perfectly fine playing FCS Independent or
playing DII upgrades.

[quote name="UNLV" post="865616" timestamp="1286211646"]
[quote author=Ruckdad link=topic=73774.msg865593#msg865593 date=1286209676]

[/quote]The SLC is not dying. The SLC is facing dropping football or bringing in 4-6 DII football. So it is not dying as a conference, but
will take a huge hit in football if not dropping football. Yet many here thinks LU will be perfectly fine playing FCS Independent or
playing DII upgrades.
[/quote]

so we should rush and join the on life support wac?  fool

we go anywhere , it should be with the cajuns...

[quote name="puddin tane" post="866014" timestamp="1286240699"]
[quote author=UNLV link=topic=73774.msg865616#msg865616 date=1286211646]
[quote author=Ruckdad link=topic=73774.msg865593#msg865593 date=1286209676]

playing DII upgrades.
[/quote]

so we should rush and join the on life support wac?  fool

we go anywhere , it should be with the cajuns...
[/quote]The WAC has a boat load of DI schools wanting to join. The Southland has only 3 and none of the 3 plays football.

I'm not even saying that we SHOULD join the WAC - in fact I don't think we are being invited to the discussion - but that the powers that be have to be aware of the ever changing landscape of conference affiliations.  There is going to be a lot more shakeup in the next few years as the BCS conferences continue to look to expand and the ripple effect that will create down the line.  Dr. Simmons and Coach Tidwell have to be thinking ahead and putting feelers way ahead of time.

[quote name="Ruckdad" post="866443" timestamp="1286296443"]
I'm not even saying that we SHOULD join the WAC - in fact I don't think we are being invited to the discussion - but that the powers that be have to be aware of the ever changing landscape of conference affiliations.  There is going to be a lot more shakeup in the next few years as the BCS conferences continue to look to expand and the ripple effect that will create down the line.  Dr. Simmons and Coach Tidwell have to be thinking ahead and putting feelers way ahead of time.
[/quote]
Yea, what he said.

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    yielder
    Newest Member
    yielder