SHSU - Lamar Game Thread/ SAM WINS 38-10

TexasTerror

Guest baseball25
Every skill player Sam Houston had was better than our skill players except for one and that's Hayes, but the qb and Rb is better and the rest of the wrs. Also our def line and o line are to little and can't Handle teams that are big and physical up front, Lamar will be fine once they get some big o line recruits and def line recruits.

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name="baseball25" post="865445" timestamp="1286193431"]Every skill player Sam Houston had was better than our skill players except for one and that's Hayes, but the qb and Rb is better and the rest of the wrs. Also our def line and o line are to little and can't Handle teams that are big and physical up front, Lamar will be fine once they get some big o line recruits and def line recruits.[/quote]

And our skill players are younger, if not the same in classification as Lamar's skill players. The future is bright for SHSU!

Here is my take from this game...

We are a much better team than we are showing.. maybe it is growing pains or just a really crappy attitude. But our WR's are good and if we would mix it up we would be much better.
Now here is what I do not understand. We have no running game... so why aren't we trying other things to make it work. WE have not tried to run the wildcat offense, We have not tried to run a qb option, we have not ran many screen passes to keep teams from coming after our QB. If Bevil is scared to run the ball and become the dual threat weapon that he can be he needs to be on the bench. Our offense needs to be aggressive and try new things... people expect us to make mistakes and we will... but we the only chances we take is chucking the ball deep... DUMB...

On Defense they have NO FIRE... NO KILLER INSTINCT.... We tackle worse than a pop warner team... atleast those kids wrap up... What happened with hitting people like we did in the McNeese game... We caused a ton of turn overs and were all over the QB...   Yes we did get beat a bunch of times because we were out of position but I would rather be out of position because we are attacking than being out of position because we are sitting back in zone and not following our assignments.

Lastly.... Why arent we using our sound system.. Play some music to get the crowd pumped up... it is like they are afraid to turn it up!   I do have to say that they are getting better every week on production though.  That is what they spent the big bucks on... USE IT!

I wonder also about the defensive scheme.  It seems to allow for little clogging up the middle.  If the RB clears the line there is nobody to stop them for at least 8 to 10 yards past the line of scrimmage.  Not sure having 2 LB's on the field is working.  Maybe now that we have the weight room set up in teh Athletic Complex we will see both the OL and DL guys bulk up and strengthen up but that wont be this year.  I may be old school, but all games are won on the line of scrimmage and you have to be able to run the ball to win championships.  I am confident this will come with time.  I am not down on the RB's they just need some room to be able to run. 

[quote name="puddin tane" post="865378" timestamp="1286164013"]
[quote author=bigred360 link=topic=73538.msg864809#msg864809 date=1286104710]
Congratulations to the BearKats on their victory starting a true freshman QB and red-shirt RB who transferred from Kansas State.

Our offense is terrible, too many TO's, the O-line can't create a lane for the RB's to gain some yardage on the ground and they aren't protecting our QB in the passing game. SHSU had pressure on Bevil all night. Yes, he makes some very questionable throws into coverages. I hope Coach Woodard recuits a QB, RB and a couple of O-linemen.

Defense, they can't stop the run. 3 of the 4 teams we have played had a RB go well over 100 yards rushing for the game. I don't know if it is coaching or the guys just can't tackle. They seem to hit the runner and just bounce off.

Our defense doesn't produce any TO's and SHSU had the ball over 40 minutes of the game to LU's 20 minutes.

There is so much more to say but I'm at work now so have to cut it short.

Still bleed red and white but hate losing. I'll be there for HC at Provost Umphrey with a few family members.
[/quote]
[i]I hope Coach Woodard recuits a QB, RB and a couple of O-linemen.[/i]
unless they quit, i think we have  6 qbs.
[/quote]
Yes, we recruited 6 guys who played QB in HS but they aren't all playing QB at Lamar. For example, Christian Louis played QB at WB and is now a DB. At the HS level a lot of times your best athlete plays QB and then when they go to college the coaching staff changes their position to best utilize their potential.

Another example is Marcus Jackson the WR who scored our only TD last week. He is the fastest player on the team and guess what position he played in HS? That is right, QB at Tyler Lee High School.

[quote name="bigred360" post="865663" timestamp="1286217671"]
[quote author=puddin tane link=topic=73538.msg865378#msg865378 date=1286164013]
[quote author=bigred360 link=topic=73538.msg864809#msg864809 date=1286104710]
Congratulations to the BearKats on their victory starting a true freshman QB and red-shirt RB who transferred from Kansas State.

Our offense is terrible, too many TO's, the O-line can't create a lane for the RB's to gain some yardage on the ground and they aren't protecting our QB in the passing game. SHSU had pressure on Bevil all night. Yes, he makes some very questionable throws into coverages. I hope Coach Woodard recuits a QB, RB and a couple of O-linemen.

Defense, they can't stop the run. 3 of the 4 teams we have played had a RB go well over 100 yards rushing for the game. I don't know if it is coaching or the guys just can't tackle. They seem to hit the runner and just bounce off.

Our defense doesn't produce any TO's and SHSU had the ball over 40 minutes of the game to LU's 20 minutes.

There is so much more to say but I'm at work now so have to cut it short.

Still bleed red and white but hate losing. I'll be there for HC at Provost Umphrey with a few family members.
[/quote]
[i]I hope Coach Woodard recuits a QB, RB and a couple of O-linemen.[/i]
unless they quit, i think we have  6 qbs.
[/quote]
Yes, we recruited 6 guys who played QB in HS but they aren't all playing QB at Lamar. For example, Christian Louis played QB at WB and is now a DB. At the HS level a lot of times your best athlete plays QB and then when they go to college the coaching staff changes their position to best utilize their potential.

Another example is Marcus Jackson the WR who scored our only TD last week. He is the fastest player on the team and guess what position he played in HS? That is right, QB at Tyler Lee High School.
[/quote]

know about both those kids, wasnt counting them
was counting Bevil, Prewitt, Tatum, Smith, Berry,Koi, Kai?kid from navasota, (cept i think he's been moved) 

[quote name="TexasTerror" post="865466" timestamp="1286197904"]
[quote author=baseball25 link=topic=73538.msg865445#msg865445 date=1286193431]Every skill player Sam Houston had was better than our skill players except for one and that's Hayes, but the qb and Rb is better and the rest of the wrs. Also our def line and o line are to little and can't Handle teams that are big and physical up front, Lamar will be fine once they get some big o line recruits and def line recruits.[/quote]

And our skill players are younger, if not the same in classification as Lamar's skill players. The future is bright for SHSU!
[/quote]

I was EXTREMELY impressed with Flanders.  Granted, our crappy tackling helped but that guy is really good.  I can't believe how physically stout he is for young guy.  We definitely need whatever SHSU is eating.  There guys were just physically bigger/stronger than our guys.  Hell their wide receivers looked like our linebackers!

[quote name="Raider88" post="865426" timestamp="1286179134"]
This LU football team is better than I have seen them play the past two games. I have attended every game except the McNeese game and there is no SPARK!! Offensive line cannot open even the smallest hole!  It cant be that hard to do a little run blocking!!
  Defense isnt HITTING anyone and when they do its a shoulder NO ONE wraps up!!  As for Bevil being hurt, I call BS!! Seen him before the game walking without a limp, seen him come out without his ankle taped, then after the score got bad his ankle was taped. I am not impressed with him what so ever. Put someone else in the game if nothing more than to get them some reps and show Bevil he isn't the ONLY QB on the team!!!

GET BACK TO THE BASICS!! Basic blocking,and tackling!!

I dont mean to sound Negative but I think this team is better than they have been playing!! I am only a innocent bystander and will continue to support LU the entire game! I refuse to leave at halftime or 3rd qtr like some!!!
[/quote]

I totally agree.  Bevil is a prima donna.   Plus, he has to be the skinniest person I've ever seen in my life.  He needs to be introduced to the weight room.  He pulled the same crap against SFA, get down and man does he start limping!!  I thought Christian Louis was scared to take a hit at WB but this guy just may be even more scared than him.  O line is young.  They each need 30 lbs and then we'll be ok.  Also I am ready for defensive changes.  I want Coleman at linebacker where he belongs.  I wan the 215 lb defensive end either at linebacke or on the bench (number 33) but he is too damn scrawny for a defensive lineman!  Get some beef on the d line!!  Put Coleman  where he can make more plays!  I've also been a little harsh with the kicking game. However, now I realize it isn't the kicker, it is the punter.

Oh, and put hussey back in the game.  Oh, and #23 needs to be used differently.  I think his name is Ploch.  There has to be abetter way t use a stud like that.  Finally, what about Chavis.?  How about moving him to defensive end in place of 33?  They are wasting him at tight end because they never throw him the damn ball!

Screw it, let me coach!

[quote name="westendfirst" post="865883" timestamp="1286234190"]
[quote author=TexasTerror link=topic=73538.msg865466#msg865466 date=1286197904]
[quote author=baseball25 link=topic=73538.msg865445#msg865445 date=1286193431]Every skill player Sam Houston had was better than our skill players except for one and that's Hayes, but the qb and Rb is better and the rest of the wrs. Also our def line and o line are to little and can't Handle teams that are big and physical up front, Lamar will be fine once they get some big o line recruits and def line recruits.[/quote]

[/quote]

I was EXTREMELY impressed with Flanders.  Granted, our crappy tackling helped but that guy is really good.  I can't believe how physically stout he is for young guy.  We definitely need whatever SHSU is eating.  There guys were just physically bigger/stronger than our guys.  heck their wide receivers looked like our linebackers!
[/quote]

I'm not sure if it's just the video feed or what, but there was a definite size disadvantage. Your DL looked much much smaller than the Kat OL.

SHSU Starting OL (from 2 deep):
D. Jenkins 6-4 290
R. SMith 6-4 290
T Watson 6-2 295
C. Pound 6-3 295
K. Hopson 6-6 290

Lamar Starting DL (from 2 deep):
J. Coleman 6-3 250
M. Foster 6-4 260
A. Dorsey 6-3 312
D. Jackson 6-3 215

[quote name="westendfirst" post="865893" timestamp="1286235066"]
[quote author=Raider88 link=topic=73538.msg865426#msg865426 date=1286179134]
This LU football team is better than I have seen them play the past two games. I have attended every game except the McNeese game and there is no SPARK!! Offensive line cannot open even the smallest hole!  It cant be that hard to do a little run blocking!!
  Defense isnt HITTING anyone and when they do its a shoulder NO ONE wraps up!!  As for Bevil being hurt, I call BS!! Seen him before the game walking without a limp, seen him come out without his ankle taped, then after the score got bad his ankle was taped. I am not impressed with him what so ever. Put someone else in the game if nothing more than to get them some reps and show Bevil he isn't the ONLY QB on the team!!!

GET BACK TO THE BASICS!! Basic blocking,and tackling!!

I dont mean to sound Negative but I think this team is better than they have been playing!! I am only a innocent bystander and will continue to support LU the entire game! I refuse to leave at halftime or 3rd qtr like some!!!
[/quote]

I totally agree.  Bevil is a prima donna.   Plus, he has to be the skinniest person I've ever seen in my life.  He needs to be introduced to the weight room.  He pulled the same crap against SFA, get down and man does he start limping!!  I thought Christian Louis was scared to take a hit at WB but this guy just may be even more scared than him.  O line is young.  They each need 30 lbs and then we'll be ok.  Also I am ready for defensive changes.  I want Coleman at linebacker where he belongs.  I wan the 215 lb defensive end either at linebacke or on the bench (number 33) but he is too dang scrawny for a defensive lineman!  Get some beef on the d line!!  Put Coleman  where he can make more plays!  I've also been a little harsh with the kicking game. However, now I realize it isn't the kicker, it is the punter.

Oh, and put hussey back in the game.  Oh, and #23 needs to be used differently.  I think his name is Ploch.  There has to be abetter way t use a stud like that.  Finally, what about Chavis.?  How about moving him to defensive end in place of 33?  [b]They are wasting him at tight end because they never throw him the dang ball![/b]

Screw it, let me coach!
[/quote]

Bevil is wasting him as a tight end. TEs can play a HUGE roll in opening up running games and downfield passing, but Bevil is intent on throwing it for a TD each play. If Bevil would take the time to read the defense and complete short passes and move the chains, the long bombs will open up.

I'd be interested if there was stat that compared the average yards attempted versus the average yards completed.

Guest baseball25
Doesn't matter how good you throw, if you don't have a good line to block for you then its a waste of time talking about the QB situation...........

Guest twag11
[quote name="Scalp'em" post="866578" timestamp="1286307503"]
Tatum is still a Qb, he was suited up on the sidelines. US PNG folks were yelling for coach to put him in. ;D
[/quote]
Prewitt is ahead of tatum on the depth chart

I saw alot of todays practice and our 1st. team offense went against of 1st. team defense. looked like Logan and Hussey averaged better than 6 yards a carry.....Was told we would run the ball alot this week....If we can block a little we can run the ball better or just run against our defense......

[quote name="HardHitter" post="866774" timestamp="1286327165"]
I saw alot of todays practice and our 1st. team offense went against of 1st. team defense. looked like Logan and Hussey averaged better than 6 yards a carry.....Was told we would run the ball alot this week....If we can block a little we can run the ball better or just run against our defense......
[/quote]

I think the Sam game is proof enough that anyone can gain 6 yards per carry on the LU defense. I'm not surprised by that at all.

[quote name="JJWooten" post="866913" timestamp="1286340806"]
[quote author=HardHitter link=topic=73538.msg866774#msg866774 date=1286327165]
[/quote]

I think the Sam game is proof enough that anyone can gain 6 yards per carry on the LU defense. I'm not surprised by that at all.
[/quote]

I think that we have defensive scheme problem more than a personnel problem, but hey I'm no expert!

I wish they would put Jacody Coleman back at LB where he can read and react and make plays from one side of the field to the other.

He started for Iowa at LB so I know he is good enough to start at that position here.

Of course, this is just my opinion as I'm not on the coaching staff.

[quote name="HardHitter" post="866774" timestamp="1286327165"]
[/quote]

with the way they were tackling?..one of the tuba players woulda put 100 yds+ on em.

oh, right..we are new, yada yada yada

[i]""I think there's way too many people coming up to me and telling me everything is going to be alright and offering up a lot of excuses for myself and our team, and I'm not buying into any of that," a clearly-frustrated Woodard said after the game."[/i]

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    kush1298
    Newest Member
    kush1298