Lamar at WAC Meetings?

TexasTerror

[quote name="UNLV" post="853498" timestamp="1285162882"]
[quote author=NorthoftheBorder link=topic=73261.msg853327#msg853327 date=1285120171]
UNLV I like that Eastern Division just don't now if NM State, Ark State or North Texas are interested.
[/quote]NM st is already in the WAC. I hear UNT and Ark st is talking to the WAC.

The Sunbelt is looking east for future replacements. This why western members would talk to the WAC.

[size=12pt][b]UNT is not first on CUSA list so I guess this explains why they are talking WAC. [/b] [/size]

I believe the WAC should form a 7 team eastern division if they want stability.

[/quote]
UNLV where did you hear that nonsense?  UNT has already done the "western thing" back in the Big West days.  Expensive and tough traveling, especially for the non-income producing sports like tennis, track, volleyball, etc.  Don't think UNT wants any part of the WEST.

[quote name="westendfirst" post="854038" timestamp="1285209748"]
[quote author=coachacola link=topic=73261.msg853539#msg853539 date=1285166718]
I find it entertaining to go to the different message boards and see what other fans think of all of this.  On the Sun Belt board they are calling the new WAC the Southland-lite and are laughing.  They look down on any team from the Southland.  UTSA and Texas State think they are better the Lamar even though they haven't accomplished anything in athletics and nobody attends their games.  The other SLC schools think that any school that wants to leave is being a snob.

The bottom line is that the SLC gets no respect and is near the bottom as far as conferences go.  There's no money or glory at the FCS level, so even though the WAC seems like a terrible idea, in the long run it may in Lamar's best interest to pursue it.  But if Lamar can't afford to join the WAC then they'll stay in the SLC for a while.
[/quote]

Gets no respect from who?  The Sun Belt?  Who gives a rats butt about the Sun Belt?!!  Isn't SFA ranked 6th in the country in football?  And McNeese is in the top 15 or something and then how many other SLC schools are at least getting votes.  We tried chasing greener pastures in the past and it killed us.  Screw Denver, and Seattly and all that nonsense.
[/quote]

The SUN BUST?  shoot..football powers..combined 5-18 record ytd ::)

Sun Belt teams have their games shown on ESPN, you won't see any SLC games on ESPN.  The Sun Belt champion plays in the New Orleans Bowl, which gets more viewers and pays out more money than the FCS championship game.  Sun Belt teams get home and home games with CUSA and SEC teams while the SLC gets teams like Arkansas Tech, Cal Poly, Southern Utah, maybe even a SWAC team.  Go look for recruiting and other football info around the web, finding info about the Sun Belt teams is pretty easy, not so easy for SLC schools. 

Sure there's a lot of hurdles, risk and negatives to going FBS, but any FBS conference is an upgrade over the SLC.  There's just more prestige and exposure to being in a FBS conference, even if it's the WAC or the Sun Belt.  No D1 schools are lining up to join the SLC, but the WAC faces an uncertain future and there's already a line forming to get in.

[quote name="puddin tane" post="855234" timestamp="1285361522"]
[quote author=westendfirst link=topic=73261.msg854038#msg854038 date=1285209748]
[quote author=coachacola link=topic=73261.msg853539#msg853539 date=1285166718]
I find it entertaining to go to the different message boards and see what other fans think of all of this.  On the Sun Belt board they are calling the new WAC the Southland-lite and are laughing.  They look down on any team from the Southland.  UTSA and Texas State think they are better the Lamar even though they haven't accomplished anything in athletics and nobody attends their games.  The other SLC schools think that any school that wants to leave is being a snob.

The bottom line is that the SLC gets no respect and is near the bottom as far as conferences go.  There's no money or glory at the FCS level, so even though the WAC seems like a terrible idea, in the long run it may in Lamar's best interest to pursue it.  But if Lamar can't afford to join the WAC then they'll stay in the SLC for a while.
[/quote]

Gets no respect from who?  The Sun Belt?  Who gives a rats butt about the Sun Belt?!!  Isn't SFA ranked 6th in the country in football?  And McNeese is in the top 15 or something and then how many other SLC schools are at least getting votes.  We tried chasing greener pastures in the past and it killed us.  Screw Denver, and Seattly and all that nonsense.
[/quote]

The SUN BUST?  shoot..football powers..combined 5-18 record ytd ::)
[/quote]Uh, before you start knocking the Sun Belt, why don't you look and see who the SBC teams have gone against in OOC this season.  How about Auburn, Arkansas, Clemson, Minnisota, Nebraska, Georgia, Michigan State, TAMU, among others.  Let me know when you replace Weber International with Auburn or Nebraska and win.  Then start knocking the Sun Belt.  Know what you are talking about before you make a fool of yourself.

[quote name="Green Menace" post="855088" timestamp="1285348829"]
[quote author=UNLV link=topic=73261.msg853498#msg853498 date=1285162882]
[quote author=NorthoftheBorder link=topic=73261.msg853327#msg853327 date=1285120171]
UNLV I like that Eastern Division just don't now if NM State, Ark State or North Texas are interested.
[/quote]NM st is already in the WAC. I hear UNT and Ark st is talking to the WAC.

The Sunbelt is looking east for future replacements. This why western members would talk to the WAC.

[size=12pt][b]UNT is not first on CUSA list so I guess this explains why they are talking WAC. [/b] [/size]

I believe the WAC should form a 7 team eastern division if they want stability.

[/quote]
UNLV where did you hear that nonsense?  UNT has already done the "western thing" back in the Big West days.  Expensive and tough traveling, especially for the non-income producing sports like tennis, track, volleyball, etc.  Don't think UNT wants any part of the WEST.
[/quote]Nonsense...That is what many said when I mentioned LU and the WAC. There were Setxsports members on katfans and otherf forums calling
me every name in the book.

The WAC has sweeten the pot and it caught UNT eye.

The WAC east division. Write it in stone....lol.  ;)
UNT
Ark st
UTSA
Texas st
Lamar
La Tech
New Mexico st

UNLV..

You do realize the study that NT released THIS WEEK included something saying the WAC may not be around much longer and that the school would be BETTER OFF in the Sun Belt!

You are absolutely foolish in thinking NT will be going to the WAC. Then again, you've been absolutely foolish from day one. My friend's UNLV doctoral degree loses value with each post you make.

Come on man - face the facts!

[quote name="TexasTerror" post="855706" timestamp="1285379880"]
UNLV..

You do realize the study that NT released THIS WEEK included something saying the WAC may not be around much longer and that the school would be BETTER OFF in the Sun Belt!

You are absolutely foolish in thinking NT will be going to the WAC. Then again, you've been absolutely foolish from day one. My friend's UNLV doctoral degree loses value with each post you make.

Come on man - face the facts!
[/quote]Didn't you say the samething when I said Marlin was going to ULL?  LOL, ofcourse you did.

[quote name="mffl" post="859147" timestamp="1285611515"]
Heard from a good source that this isn't true.
[/quote]

Looks like your source is right:

[quote]WAC commissioner Karl Benson and the league's membership committee, comprised of the six athletic directors from the remaining schools, will hear formal presentations from five schools Tuesday in Dallas.

Benson said football-playing schools Texas State, UT-San Antonio and Montana along with non-football-playing schools Seattle and Denver will make presentations to the committee.[/quote]

Read more: http://voices.idahostatesman.com/2010/09/27/bmurphy/wac_membership_committee_hear_presentations_five_schools_includi#ixzz10n9hZZMb

[quote name="GeauxLamar" post="860331" timestamp="1285717570"]Just curious if your source said anything else like... not right now but later or looking at different conference? If Denver goes to the WAC then there is another opening in the Sunbelt etc[/quote]

The SBC would have to decide on what it wants to do...

Does it ask UALR to leave and go all football members? Does it add a non-basketball member for a nice 10, 12 setup. Wonder if that member would be Oral Roberts? An established school with some track record in hoops - may prefer Sun Belt to get into recruiting spots of Texas and Florida compared to Summit League.

Lamar would be nutts not to talk to the WAC.

If CUSA had 5 openings, LU would not get the invite. I have about 15 schools ahead of LU.
If the Sunbelt had 5 opening, LU would not get the invite. About 7 ahead.

Where else is there to go for LU?  The BIG 12?

LU can't be picky on FBS upgrade or LU will miss the boat and be stuck in a conference with Incarnate Word and Tarleton
for the next 30 years.

For all the "lets stay FCS and play Webber International" lovers

[quote]Lamar announced Thursday that it would play future road games against Hawaii in 2012, Oklahoma State in 2013 and Texas A&M in 2014. The school will get payouts of $125,000 from Hawaii, $375,000 from Oklahoma State and $350,000 from A&M and Lamar will also have travel and lodging expenses paid for by Hawaii, head coach Ray Woodard said.
Teams in the Bowl Subdivision commonly get much larger payouts for guarantee games. Tubbs estimated the payouts for Bowl Subdivision teams to be in the $750,000 range and above. Sun Belt school North Texas will get $975,000 to play a 2013 game at Georgia, the Atlanta Journal Constitution reported. South Alabama, a future football-playing member of the Sun Belt, will get $850,000 for a 2013 game at Tennessee, espn.com reported.[/quote]

I bet Lamar has already talked to the WAC but isn't ready to make the jump now.  La Tech's travel budget was around $2.5 million in 2008-2009, compared to Lamar's non-football travel budget of almost $800K.  On top of that, to go FBS then requires 22 more football scholarships, at least doubling Woodard's salary and his assistants, expanding the football stadium, and adding more women's sports.

The WAC will not be done expanding this year.  There's always going to be opportunities out there for Lamar.  I just don't buy into the "this our last chance to go FBS forever" argument.  It's going to take a lot of money for Lamar to go FBS and succeed, they can't do it overnight.

[quote name="coachacola" post="860648" timestamp="1285772519"]
I bet Lamar has already talked to the WAC but isn't ready to make the jump now.  La Tech's travel budget was around $2.5 million in 2008-2009, compared to Lamar's non-football travel budget of almost $800K.  On top of that, to go FBS then requires 22 more football scholarships, at least doubling Woodard's salary and his assistants, expanding the football stadium, and adding more women's sports.

[b]The WAC will not be done expanding this year.  There's always going to be opportunities out there for Lamar.  I just don't buy into the "this our last chance to go FBS forever" argument.  It's going to take a lot of money for Lamar to go FBS and succeed, they can't do it overnight[/b].
[/quote]

It amazes me that UNLV can't seem to understand this last paragraph.

Good stuff, coachacola.

[quote name="UNLV" post="860605" timestamp="1285768897"]Lamar announced Thursday that it would play future road games against Hawaii in 2012, Oklahoma State in 2013 and Texas A&M in 2014. The school will get payouts of $125,000 from Hawaii, $375,000 from Oklahoma State and $350,000 from A&M and Lamar will also have travel and lodging expenses paid for by Hawaii, head coach Ray Woodard said.
Teams in the Bowl Subdivision commonly get much larger payouts for guarantee games. Tubbs estimated the payouts for Bowl Subdivision teams to be in the $750,000 range and above. Sun Belt school North Texas will get $975,000 to play a 2013 game at Georgia, the Atlanta Journal Constitution reported. South Alabama, a future football-playing member of the Sun Belt, will get $850,000 for a 2013 game at Tennessee, espn.com reported.[/quote]
[/quote]

Based on the information you yourself provided it looks to be a smart move to stay FCS for a while. 

Receive a major guarantee-game payout to ensure football does not starve the athletic budget.  Avoid the travel costs associated with the WAC schedule (what is your calculation for total costs to fly the tennis, soccer, and golf teams to Hawai'i each year?).  Become competitive at FCS football, with the worst conference loss likely not surpassing the score that occurs with the FBS guarantee-game.  Schedule a Webber-International for homecoming, as it will likely be a sellout regardless . . .

I'm OK with that

Man, you guys are hammering UNLV. I agree he is over-the-top with some of his comments but with all the conference realignment talk it is only astute for Lamar to look at all their options.

Do I think we are headed for a FBS conference in the next couple of years, no.

But there is even talk about the SLC taking in Texas Southern and Prairie View A&M on anygivensaturday.

If Texas State, UTSA, and SHSU leave the SLC, Lamar won't be far behind.

SLC - Open to Inviting Texas Southern, Prairie View?

http://www.anygivensaturday.com/showthread.php?75265-SLC-Open-to-Inviting-Texas-Southern-Prairie-View

[quote name="AggiesAreWe" post="860659" timestamp="1285772838"]
[quote author=coachacola link=topic=73261.msg860648#msg860648 date=1285772519]

[b]The WAC will not be done expanding this year.  There's always going to be opportunities out there for Lamar.  I just don't buy into the "this our last chance to go FBS forever" argument.  It's going to take a lot of money for Lamar to go FBS and succeed, they can't do it overnight[/b].
[/quote]

It amazes me that UNLV can't seem to understand this last paragraph.

Good stuff, coachacola.
[/quote]You're right, I can't understand cola's OPINION. How about showing me those future opportunities.

Which of the following FBS do you think will invite LU...

SEC?
BIG 12?
Sunbelt?
or will the WAC put plans on hold until LU is ready?

or as many on the forum believes, the Southland and Webber-International is the best for LU.

[quote name="bigred360" post="860698" timestamp="1285775330"]
Man, you guys are hammering UNLV. I agree he is over-the-top with some of his comments but with all the conference realignment talk it is only astute for Lamar to look at all their options.

Do I think we are headed for a FBS conference in the next couple of years, no.

But there is even talk about the SLC taking in Texas Southern and Prairie View A&M on anygivensaturday.

If Texas State, UTSA, and SHSU leave the SLC, Lamar won't be far behind.

SLC - Open to Inviting Texas Southern, Prairie View?

http://www.anygivensaturday.com/showthread.php?75265-SLC-Open-to-Inviting-Texas-Southern-Prairie-View
[/quote]They can hammer away. I will never buy into this SETX no growth mentality. This area hasn't grown in 40 years, yet pats on the
back and hand shakes, 'good job Bill, good job Bob' We have an airport with 1 airline flying to 1 city, Houston  ::). If you want
to fly to Dallas, you have to drive to Lake Charles. 'good job Bill, good job Bob'. This is crazy. Scared to invest, scared to grow, scare
for LU outside of the Southland. UNT, ULL, Ark st, and La tech probably are still laughing at the idiots at LU and the SETX mentality.
I hope Dr Simmons stay far away from the SETX mentality.

[quote name="bigred360" post="860707" timestamp="1285775951"]
Totally agree with your comments AggiesAreWe. We have to do it the right way and IMO it is to take it slow but be ready if the right opportunity occurs and be ready to take action.
[/quote]What opportunities in the future?  The Sunbelt has several schools, ahead of LU, in line ready to join. Once full, no conference will go 13 or 15
just so lil ole LU can join. So can anyone tell me what future opportunity?

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    kofajas476
    Newest Member
    kofajas476