Lamar at WAC Meetings?

TexasTerror

Uh oh you are trying to get us rowled up aren't you  :D.

I have not heard anything about this from anybody in our AD. I know Tidwell is gone in Europe also, so this would be news to me.

[quote name="TexasTerror" post="852683" timestamp="1285073461"]
It was suggested on the TXST fan board (by a fan who had ESPN contacts tell him something that was already out in the San Antonio media four days after the fact), that Lamar will be presenting at the WAC meetings next week in Dallas...

Any one that can confirm? A shot in the dark perhaps?
[/quote]

As I stated before, I think that Lamar should explore.  But we do not need to make a move that we cannot properly support.  That said, I also believe that if it is true, then Dr. Simmons has done his homework and believes that everything is in place.  If you look back over the last 10 years of his presidency, he has not done anything without having lined up everything that was needed to be successful.  He has not overreached on anything.  Looking at what is planned in campus improvement/expansion over the next five years is pretty awesome, $164mil to be exact.  And that would not include additional PU expansion.  He has been an absolute Godsend to LU and I think will go down in the history of Lamar as it's greatest leader.  I will trust his judgement.

Lamar does like to do things very low key so it wouldn't surprise me if they did talk to the WAC next week without anyone knowing about it.  I think if Lamar believes they can afford the WAC and that there will be a eastern division with La Tech, Texas State, UTSA and others then they'll probably try to go for it.

[quote name="coachacola" post="852770" timestamp="1285079360"]
Lamar does like to do things very low key so it wouldn't surprise me if they did talk to the WAC next week without anyone knowing about it.  I think if Lamar believes they can afford the WAC and that there will be a eastern division with La Tech, Texas State, UTSA and others then they'll probably try to go for it.
[/quote]Very very very wise to talk to the WAC in secret. Frustrating to fans arrrrrgh. UTSA Hickey is not being smart by burning bridges in the SLC.
The WAC mess may not work out, so then what for UTSA...

From what I can gather from several message boards Lamar will be talking to the WAC next week along with these schools: UTSA, Texas St., Denver, Seattle and Montana.

http://collegesportsinfo.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=1454&p=50427#p50427

http://www.bobcatfans.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=22&t=19927&p=223322#p223322

[quote name="coachacola" post="852891" timestamp="1285087555"]
From what I can gather from several message boards Lamar will be talking to the WAC next week along with these schools: UTSA, Texas St., Denver, Seattle and Montana.

[/quote]

Coach, your investigative skills are good.  Thanks for the info.

[quote name="coachacola" post="852891" timestamp="1285087555"]

[/quote]

[i]
UTSA, Texas St., Denver, Seattle and Montana[/i] there's some schools nobody could give at rats arse about..only one worth a spit is MT and you cant beat them at home-home cooking to the max-...think it was done this yr for the first time in forever.... Denver? Seattle?...whoo hoo!  I'd rather watch paint dry

Unconfirmed but reported that as many as 10 schools will make a presentation but only 6 identified including LU.  Hasn't reported who the other 4 are.  Agree that LU has to get there name out there and explore their options.  I do not think we would make a presentation if Dr. Simmons didn't think we could pull it off, but maybe it is getting the LU brand out in the marketplace.

[quote name="puddin tane" post="852942" timestamp="1285091473"]
[quote author=coachacola link=topic=73261.msg852891#msg852891 date=1285087555]

[/quote]

[i]
UTSA, Texas St., Denver, Seattle and Montana[/i] there's some schools nobody could give at rats arse about..only one worth a spit is MT and you cant beat them at home-home cooking to the max-...think it was done this yr for the first time in forever.... Denver? Seattle?...whoo hoo!  I'd rather watch paint dry
[/quote]
As far as conference mates, I see it as:

LaTech > McNeese, SELU
TXST > Sam
UTSA > SFA
Hawaii > Southland as a whole
SJSU, USU, ID = NwST, Nicholls
Denver, Seattle = TAMUCC, UTA

Possible WAC eastern division
La Tech
North Texas
UTSA
Texas st
Lamar
Ark st
New Mexico st

western
Idaho
Montana
Portland
Sacramento
Utah st
Hawaii
SJSU

NEW Southland
Mcneese
Central Ok.
Tarleton
SFA
SHSU
Central Ark
Kingsville
UTA-Non football
Nicholls-Non football
SELA-Non football
NWst-Non football
CC-Non football

Lamar put itself in a big hole during the '90s when they dropped football, then let enrollment drop then finally dropping out of the Sun Belt and back into the SLC.  Dr. Simmons and Billy Tubbs have fixed 2 of those 3.  The final step out of that hole is to get out of the SLC, and if not the Sun Belt then the WAC.  I have a feeling this meeting is more of a "let's get acquainted" meeting than an actual "let's tie the knot" meeting.  I also think La Tech's future in the WAC will have a big influence on what Lamar does.

I don't think we'll see any Sun Belt fooball schools jump over to the WAC.  I think we may see this setup come 2014:
Eastern division:
La Tech
New Mexico State
UTSA
Texas State
Lamar
Denver (non-football)

Western division:
Hawaii
SJSU
Idaho
Utah State
Montana
Seattle (non-football)

This could also be a strong basketball and baseball conference.  Both Utah State and New Mexico State were in the NCAA's last year.  I'd like to see those teams in Montagne Center over the likes of Nicholls State and Central Arkansas.

Don't forget, this is all pure speculation and just for entertainment purposes only.

[quote name="TexasTerror" post="852683" timestamp="1285073461"]
It was suggested on the TXST fan board (by a fan who had ESPN contacts tell him something that was already out in the San Antonio media four days after the fact), that Lamar will be presenting at the WAC meetings next week in Dallas...

[/quote]

My guess is that is a bunch of b.s.  How can it even be possible with a 15,000 seat stadium?

[quote name="westendfirst" post="853348" timestamp="1285121705"]
[quote author=TexasTerror link=topic=73261.msg852683#msg852683 date=1285073461]

[/quote]

My guess is that is a bunch of b.s.  How can it even be possible with a 15,000 seat stadium?
[/quote]

There have been two different reports that say the stadium can be expanded up to 28k or 35k.  LU has architectural renderings of an expanded stadium.  Idaho, one of the members of the WAC, plays in an 18k stadium that is a glorified baskeball arena.  LU going FBS may not happen.  I have no idea what the odds would be of them doing it.  I just am confident that Dr. Simmons will not do anything that he knows LU cannot support.  We will just have to wait and see.

[quote name="YouCanUseaMint" post="853259" timestamp="1285114576"]
[quote author=puddin tane link=topic=73261.msg852942#msg852942 date=1285091473]
[quote author=coachacola link=topic=73261.msg852891#msg852891 date=1285087555]

[/quote]

[i]
[/quote]
As far as conference mates, I see it as:

LaTech > McNeese, SELU
TXST > Sam
UTSA > SFA
Hawaii > Southland as a whole
SJSU, USU, ID = NwST, Nicholls
Denver, Seattle = TAMUCC, UTA
[/quote]

La tech= Mcneese
Sam> SWTSU
hawaii? who cares
SDSU,USU,ID---see Hawaii
Denver, Seattle=TAmuCC,UTA???  maybe in hockey

[quote name="westendfirst" post="853348" timestamp="1285121705"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

agree w/ wefirst...enjoy the southland, then in a couple yrs we go big 12...take baylor's place, they suck

[quote name="NorthoftheBorder" post="853327" timestamp="1285120171"]
UNLV I like that Eastern Division just don't now if NM State, Ark State or North Texas are interested.
[/quote]NM st is already in the WAC. I hear UNT and Ark st is talking to the WAC.

The Sunbelt is looking east for future replacements. This why western members would talk to the WAC.

UNT is not first on CUSA list so I guess this explains why they are talking WAC.

I believe the WAC should form a 7 team eastern division if they want stability.

I find it entertaining to go to the different message boards and see what other fans think of all of this.  On the Sun Belt board they are calling the new WAC the Southland-lite and are laughing.  They look down on any team from the Southland.  UTSA and Texas State think they are better the Lamar even though they haven't accomplished anything in athletics and nobody attends their games.  The other SLC schools think that any school that wants to leave is being a snob.

The bottom line is that the SLC gets no respect and is near the bottom as far as conferences go.  There's no money or glory at the FCS level, so even though the WAC seems like a terrible idea, in the long run it may in Lamar's best interest to pursue it.  But if Lamar can't afford to join the WAC then they'll stay in the SLC for a while.

[quote name="coachacola" post="853539" timestamp="1285166718"]
I find it entertaining to go to the different message boards and see what other fans think of all of this.  On the Sun Belt board they are calling the new WAC the Southland-lite and are laughing.  They look down on any team from the Southland.  UTSA and Texas State think they are better the Lamar even though they haven't accomplished anything in athletics and nobody attends their games.  The other SLC schools think that any school that wants to leave is being a snob.

The bottom line is that the SLC gets no respect and is near the bottom as far as conferences go.  There's no money or glory at the FCS level, so even though the WAC seems like a terrible idea, in the long run it may in Lamar's best interest to pursue it.  But if Lamar can't afford to join the WAC then they'll stay in the SLC for a while.
[/quote]

Gets no respect from who?  The Sun Belt?  Who gives a rats butt about the Sun Belt?!!  Isn't SFA ranked 6th in the country in football?  And McNeese is in the top 15 or something and then how many other SLC schools are at least getting votes.  We tried chasing greener pastures in the past and it killed us.  Screw Denver, and Seattly and all that nonsense.

[quote name="puddin tane" post="853400" timestamp="1285128190"]
[quote author=westendfirst link=topic=73261.msg853348#msg853348 date=1285121705]

[/quote]

[/quote]

I'd prefer we create the old southland:  Northeast La., USL, (to hell with their ULM and ULL nonsense), McNeese, La Tech and we add SE La.  Then Texas schools would be:  SFA, Lamar, SHSU, Southwest Tx State (not the new Tx State), and somebody else

[quote name="westendfirst" post="854038" timestamp="1285209748"]
[quote author=coachacola link=topic=73261.msg853539#msg853539 date=1285166718]
I find it entertaining to go to the different message boards and see what other fans think of all of this.  On the Sun Belt board they are calling the new WAC the Southland-lite and are laughing.  They look down on any team from the Southland.  UTSA and Texas State think they are better the Lamar even though they haven't accomplished anything in athletics and nobody attends their games.  The other SLC schools think that any school that wants to leave is being a snob.

The bottom line is that the SLC gets no respect and is near the bottom as far as conferences go.  There's no money or glory at the FCS level, so even though the WAC seems like a terrible idea, in the long run it may in Lamar's best interest to pursue it.  But if Lamar can't afford to join the WAC then they'll stay in the SLC for a while.
[/quote]

Gets no respect from who?  The Sun Belt?  Who gives a rats butt about the Sun Belt?!!  Isn't SFA ranked 6th in the country in football?  And McNeese is in the top 15 or something and then how many other SLC schools are at least getting votes. [b] We tried chasing greener pastures in the past and it killed us.[/b]  Screw Denver, and Seattly and all that nonsense.
[/quote]

Where did you get that information? Ask someone like smith, that isn't what killed the program.  I see both sides of this coin. I think the SLC is best now but with all the conferences talking realignment you can't ignore the possibilities. Heck, there is even talk about changes in the SLC and budget cuts hurting Louisiana schools.

[quote name="westendfirst" post="854044" timestamp="1285210151"]
[quote author=puddin tane link=topic=73261.msg853400#msg853400 date=1285128190]
[quote author=westendfirst link=topic=73261.msg853348#msg853348 date=1285121705]

[/quote]

[/quote]

I'd prefer we create the old southland:  Northeast La., USL, (to heck with their ULM and ULL nonsense), McNeese, La Tech and we add SE La.  Then Texas schools would be:  SFA, Lamar, SHSU, Southwest Tx State (not the new Tx State), and somebody else

[/quote]
I don't see ULM, ULL & La Tech going backwards and McNeese has shown no interest in moving to FBS so that idea isn't going to happen even if you want it too just like even though I would like for Lamar to go FBS it may not happen.  If they don't it has no bearing on my support and loyalty.  I believe I already addressed the stadium issue.

[quote name="westendfirst" post="854044" timestamp="1285210151"]
[quote author=puddin tane link=topic=73261.msg853400#msg853400 date=1285128190]

[/quote]

My guess is that is a bunch of b.s.  How can it even be possible with a 15,000 seat stadium?
[/quote]
I'd prefer we create the old southland:  Northeast La., USL, (to heck with their ULM and ULL nonsense), McNeese, La Tech and we add SE La.  Then Texas schools would be:  SFA, Lamar, SHSU, Southwest Tx State (not the new Tx State), and somebody else

[/quote]"State higher education officials presented doom-and-gloom budget scenarios Tuesday to a state Senate committee showing what could happen when the federal stimulus money runs dry next summer.

One such possibility included the closure of eight of the state’s 14 public universities as a means to reduce state funding of college costs by 30 percent, or about $300 million.

That scenario would involve shuttering Nicholls State University, McNeese State University, Southern University at New Orleans, LSU at Alexandria, LSU at Shreveport, the University of Louisiana at Monroe, Grambling State University and Northwestern State University.
http://www.2theadvocate.com/news/93595549.html"

I don't think schools will get shut down, but I do think football teams are in trouble.

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    yielder
    Newest Member
    yielder