B team vs. A team games

bmrm

[quote name="horndawg" post="848105" timestamp="1284579608"]
[quote author=bmrm link=topic=72803.msg845871#msg845871 date=1284342210]
[quote author=VNUPE link=topic=72803.msg845393#msg845393 date=1284301599]
Strongend, I hate to disagree with you. But what do you mean by limited coaches? The same coaches that work with the A team work with the B teams. And as far as sites and officials, are you saying we don't have enough money for that? Please. 
[/quote]
Thank you VNUPE - it is the same coaches & what does it matter if they coach four games one night or two games on two different nights.  Also the officiating excuse doesn't fly either - I work with two officials that have each officiated for over twenty years a piece & they said that's how it used to be - games on both Tuesday & Thursday night.  I know nothing is going to change this year since the schedules are already in place, but my son has told me this is his last year of playing school ball because he is tired of having to [size=14pt][b]participate [/b] [/size] like everyone else and not getting the same treatment as the A teamers.   
[/quote]

I believe the answer may lie in this one word.........athletics is about competition, not participation.  In other words, if you want to play in a game with a regulation clock, then work hard to make the A team.  As I see it, the "B" games are designed to give the kids, that go to practice, an opportunity to play and get some experience in game situations and to keep their interest up.  If not for the "B" games, many kids would practice all week and then sit on the bench all game or get very limited playing time (much less playing time than a game with a running clock).   
[/quote]very well stated horndog. they could always go back like it used to be... the b-teamers wouldn't MAKE the team at all. this thread is pathetic. i remember when try-outs were really try-outs...not everyone made the team. now with all of the p.c. crap everyone gets to play and they're still complaining....jeesh!

As a parent I know it's painful, but my son was a B teamer in middle school who eventually became a starter on varsity.  Without the B team game experience he would have probably quit, so it keeps the kids motivated to keep trying...

Also, there may be some UIL rules that the coaches are up against. 

[quote name="Homer" post="848304" timestamp="1284601493"]
I heard today that the 3A district games are going to all be regular clock.  I think it was both b games 6 minute quarters, the 7a game 7 minute quarters and the 8a game 8 minute quarters.  No running clocks.
[/quote]

Thank goodness! I always hated running clocks in any games!

[quote name="Gasilla" post="848337" timestamp="1284605140"]
[quote author=Homer link=topic=72803.msg848304#msg848304 date=1284601493]
I heard today that the 3A district games are going to all be regular clock.  I think it was both b games 6 minute quarters, the 7a game 7 minute quarters and the 8a game 8 minute quarters.  No running clocks.
[/quote]

Thank goodness! I always hated running clocks in any games!
[/quote]

So you don't have a problem with the kids playing in the last game getting home at 11:00pm or later on a school night (especially 7th & 8th graders)?

[quote name="horndawg" post="848105" timestamp="1284579608"]
Strongend, I hate to disagree with you. But what do you mean by limited coaches? The same coaches that work with the A team work with the B teams. And as far as sites and officials, are you saying we don't have enough money for that? Please. 
[/quote]
Thank you VNUPE - it is the same coaches & what does it matter if they coach four games one night or two games on two different nights.  Also the officiating excuse doesn't fly either - I work with two officials that have each officiated for over twenty years a piece & they said that's how it used to be - games on both Tuesday & Thursday night.  I know nothing is going to change this year since the schedules are already in place, but my son has told me this is his last year of playing school ball because he is tired of having to [size=14pt][b]participate [/b] [/size] like everyone else and not getting the same treatment as the A teamers.   
[/quote]

I believe the answer may lie in this one word.........athletics is about competition, not participation.  In other words, if you want to play in a game with a regulation clock, then work hard to make the A team.  As I see it, the "B" games are designed to give the kids, that go to practice, an opportunity to play and get some experience in game situations and to keep their interest up.  If not for the "B" games, many kids would practice all week and then sit on the bench all game or get very limited playing time (much less playing time than a game with a running clock). 
[/quote]
Seriously?  You actually think that my son and all these other B teamers are strictly just participating?  I wouldn't call sweating their butts off at practice for two or more hours a day & then trying their best come game day "participating."  You need to get a clue!

[quote name="spoonbill" post="848118" timestamp="1284580998"]
[quote author=horndawg link=topic=72803.msg848105#msg848105 date=1284579608]
[/quote]
[/quote]

[/quote]very well stated horndog. they could always go back like it used to be... the b-teamers wouldn't MAKE the team at all. this thread is pathetic. i remember when try-outs were really try-outs...not everyone made the team. now with all of the p.c. crap everyone gets to play and they're still complaining....jeesh!
[/quote]
Well you make no sense.  How about you go tell our coaches not to promote football to our kids?  I don't think any coach is going to tell a kid he can't play if he wants to.  Don't you realize football is king....jeesh!!! 

Guest strongend
Well I guess you wont be happy until everyone plays the same amount of time and all kids win.  I would suggest people go to practice and watch the involvement of the b teamers overall.  There is a lot of horseplay and this is a time to determine if they really want to play or not.  I would encourage all kids to stay with it till their freshman year and then decide.  My problem is with parents that assume they could do it better.  If that is the case, get a degree and apply.

[".... but my son has told me this is his last year of playing school ball because he is tired of having to [size=14pt][b]participate [/b] [/size] like everyone else [size=14pt]and not getting the same treatment as the A teamers[/size].   
[/quote]

[/quote]
Seriously?  You actually think that my son and all these other B teamers are strictly just participating?  I wouldn't call sweating their butts off at practice for two or more hours a day & then trying their best come game day "participating."  You need to get a clue!
[/quote]

What planet do you live on?  Athletics is about competition, not same treatment just because you go to practice. 

[img]http://[IMG]http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j83/Timinator2K6/stop-global-whining.jpg[/img][/img]

[quote name="bmrm" post="848472" timestamp="1284650013"]
[quote author=spoonbill link=topic=72803.msg848118#msg848118 date=1284580998]
[quote author=horndawg link=topic=72803.msg848105#msg848105 date=1284579608]
[/quote]
[/quote]

[/quote]
Well you make no sense.  How about you go tell our coaches not to promote football to our kids?  I don't think any coach is going to tell a kid he can't play if he wants to.  Don't you realize football is king....jeesh!!!   
[/quote]once the kids get to jr. high/middle school, there are no more mandatory play rules. the coaches try to be nice and get most or all of the kids in at some point, but it is not a priority. they are trying to teach football and also be successful on the field. all of the kids need to practice hard and give their all. you never know what will happen during the yr and who will need to step up. ..BUT...the best kids will ALWAYS be the ones to get more playing time. this is now one or two teams per grade instead of the five or six jr league pay to play teams they were on the yr before. all of the schools that have both a and b teams should feel lucky. at least the b team gets significant "game time" experience instead of sitting the bench. no, a coach won't tell a kid not to play if he wants to, but he may not play in the game. they promote football beacause during a season there will be injuries etc. and several kids will be needed. plus, it builds self esteem. football is definitely king and the best will always play the most . encourage your kid to stick with it. practicing your butt off builds character. you never know when it will be his turn to shine. if your not there it will never come.

I'm sure other teams are like ours, but Port Neches Middle School has 80 kids for 7th grade football. You can't expect coaches to play all of those kids in a 7th grade game. I have three boys and my oldest is in 7th grade this year. He's probably the smallest out there with the biggest heart, but he still gives it his all. That's all I ask of him to do. There's about 1% of Texas HS players that get a free ride to college from football and I know mine won't be one of them. I just hope he learns to grow like a model citizen and became a young adult while playing a game that he LOVES. Too many daddy's wanting thier kid to be the stud player! It's MIDDLE SCHOOL. My #1 priority is his grades period.

[quote name="Scalp'em" post="848646" timestamp="1284667206"]
I'm sure other teams are like ours, but Port Neches Middle School has 80 kids for 7th grade football. You can't expect coaches to play all of those kids in a 7th grade game. I have three boys and my oldest is in 7th grade this year. He's probably the smallest out there with the biggest heart, but he still gives it his all. That's all I ask of him to do. There's about 1% of Texas HS players that get a free ride to college from football and I know mine won't be one of them. I just hope he learns to grow like a model citizen and became a young adult while playing a game that he LOVES. Too many daddy's wanting thier kid to be the stud player! It's MIDDLE SCHOOL. My #1 priority is his grades period.
[/quote]simmer down there now....ur making way too much sense for this thread. ;)

Last night I was witness to a MS school game where one of the teams had 51 kids dressed out and the other team did not have a "B" team. Naturally, the team with 51 had many kids that did not see the field. Well, one of the kids parents took it upon himself to follow the team and the coaches into the field house after a very hard fought game cussing and telling the coaches how sorry they are because little Johnny did not get into the game. This is ridiculous and an absolute embarrassment and far worse than the fact that Little Johnny, who has never played before this year, did not get into the game.

[quote name="strongend" post="848535" timestamp="1284658103"]
Well I guess you wont be happy until everyone plays the same amount of time and all kids win.  I would suggest people go to practice and watch the involvement of the b teamers overall.  There is a lot of horseplay and this is a time to determine if they really want to play or not.  I would encourage all kids to stay with it till their freshman year and then decide.  My problem is with parents that assume they could do it better.  If that is the case, get a degree and apply.
[/quote]
Have you actually attended any of our practices?  I didn't think so - if you did you would see that there wasn't any horseplay as you suggested.  You're just making excuses & trying to defend your position. 

[quote name="horndawg" post="848625" timestamp="1284664319"]
[".... but my son has told me this is his last year of playing school ball because he is tired of having to [size=14pt][b]participate [/b] [/size] like everyone else [size=14pt]and not getting the same treatment as the A teamers[/size].   
[/quote]

[/quote]
[/quote]

What planet do you live on?  Athletics is about competition, not same treatment just because you go to practice. 

[img]http://[IMG]http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j83/Timinator2K6/stop-global-whining.jpg[/img][/img]
[/quote]
What planet do I live on?  What planet do you live on?  Athletics is about competition - thanks so much for the heads up there Sherlock!!!  Do you have any idea how many boys signed up to play football for HJ?  Yet you're gonna spout off about how we should conduct our program - how about you just keep your opinions to yourself and save yourself the embaressment. 

[quote name="bedelmon" post="848645" timestamp="1284666949"]
BMRM!!!!! I love you man!!!
[/quote]
Barry - how you been man?  Didn't get to visit much the other night in Anahuac.  I'm thinking it's time for another drink fest in our near future!!!  Thoughts???

[quote name="bmrm" post="850077" timestamp="1284787915"]
[quote author=horndawg link=topic=72803.msg848625#msg848625 date=1284664319]
[/quote]

[/quote]
[/quote]

[/quote]
What planet do I live on?  What planet do you live on?  Athletics is about competition - thanks so much for the heads up there Sherlock!!!  Do you have any idea how many boys signed up to play football for HJ?  Yet you're gonna spout off about how we should conduct our program - how about you just keep your opinions to yourself and save yourself the embaressment. 
[/quote]
Ballgame!!!

Here is my opinion: I think we can relate the state of the world's economy to this particular sitiuation.  All the bailouts were needed because someone was [b]GIVEN[/b] something because it was politically correct. Athletes and parents in today's time expect the samething, equal time and treatment. Unfortunatley, when these mislead kids get into the real world they want the same treatment but mom and dad can't intervene.  Point in hand, school and athletics play a key role in training our children for their future and I am not talking just academics. Adversity, challanges, failures and discontent are things that build character but some parents do not want there children to experience these things.  What happen to the day where it was prideful to just to be a part of a the team, get a uniform and [b]HAVE A CHANCE TO PLAY.[/b]  Bottom line when your child goes to work for his first time and he is not getting enough hours, working in the wrong department, feeling as if they are not being treated the same as the others they have 2 options: quit are pull up the bootstraps and grind to be noticed.  If I am not mistaking this is what used to be refered to as climbing the ladder of success.  Too many want to jump from the bottom to the top but you miss all the important steps in between.  Enough said!!!. By the way NPC stands for Never Politically Correct.

[quote name="NPC" post="851054" timestamp="1284902380"]
Here is my opinion: I think we can relate the state of the world's economy to this particular sitiuation.  All the bailouts were needed because someone was [b]GIVEN[/b] something because it was politically correct. Athletes and parents in today's time expect the samething, equal time and treatment. Unfortunatley, when these mislead kids get into the real world they want the same treatment but mom and dad can't intervene.  Point in hand, school and athletics play a key role in training our children for their future and I am not talking just academics. Adversity, challanges, failures and discontent are things that build character but some parents do not want there children to experience these things.   What happen to the day where it was prideful to just to be a part of a the team, get a uniform and [b]HAVE A CHANCE TO PLAY.[/b]  Bottom line when your child goes to work for his first time and he is not getting enough hours, working in the wrong department, feeling as if they are not being treated the same as the others they have 2 options: quit are pull up the bootstraps and grind to be noticed.  If I am not mistaking this is what used to be refered to as climbing the ladder of success.  Too many want to jump from the bottom to the top but you miss all the important steps in between.  Enough said!!!. By the way NPC stands for Never Politically Correct.

Excellent post NPC
[/quote]

[quote name="NPC" post="851054" timestamp="1284902380"]
Here is my opinion: I think we can relate the state of the world's economy to this particular sitiuation.  All the bailouts were needed because someone was [b]GIVEN[/b] something because it was politically correct. Athletes and parents in today's time expect the samething, equal time and treatment. Unfortunatley, when these mislead kids get into the real world they want the same treatment but mom and dad can't intervene.  Point in hand, school and athletics play a key role in training our children for their future and I am not talking just academics. Adversity, challanges, failures and discontent are things that build character but some parents do not want there children to experience these things.   What happen to the day where it was prideful to just to be a part of a the team, get a uniform and [b]HAVE A CHANCE TO PLAY.[/b]  Bottom line when your child goes to work for his first time and he is not getting enough hours, working in the wrong department, feeling as if they are not being treated the same as the others they have 2 options: quit are pull up the bootstraps and grind to be noticed.  If I am not mistaking this is what used to be refered to as climbing the ladder of success.  Too many want to jump from the bottom to the top but you miss all the important steps in between.  Enough said!!!. By the way NPC stands for Never Politically Correct.
[/quote]

Great post!!! ;)

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    yielder
    Newest Member
    yielder