B team vs. A team games

bmrm

[quote name="Txdragon" post="844241" timestamp="1284181023"]
it depends which team your kid is playing on  ;D
[/quote]
HA!!!  I only propose the question because our B teams have to play with a rolling clock & with 8 minute quarters & a three minute half it adds up to a 35 minute game.  Heck it took us 50 minutes to get to the game Thursday - doesn't seem right.  I am one of the fortunate parents whose son starts & gets to see the field for a limited time.  There are many kids who don't even get to play because of the time constraints of the rolling clock.  I feel sorry for them & all the B teamers because they practice all week just as hard as the A teamers, but then get screwed come Thursday night when they are essentially rushed off the field to make room for the A teamers.   

[quote name="bmrm" post="843983" timestamp="1284175246"]
Are A team junior high games really more important than B team junior high games? 
[/quote][quote author=VNUPE link=topic=72803.msg844700#msg844700 date=1284235544]
I wonder why they won't let them play on a different night. That only fair.
[/quote]
I'm sure there are plenty of excuses - I mean reasons why.  One grade could play on Tuesday night & the other on Thursday night.  You could alternate home & away like the varsity & jv do in high school.       

Guest strongend
With limited time and coaches, it is the only way to do it.  There is no way to play on different sites because of prep time and officials, not to mention jv and freshman games.  In a perfect world, all kids would play equal time and everyone would win.  Thank goodness for the b team because it gives kids a chance to play.  if it is not enough for the player, they may need to work harder and try to make the a team.  Coaches do their best for all kids to play, but that doesn't always happen.

[quote name="VNUPE" post="845393" timestamp="1284301599"]
Strongend, I hate to disagree with you. But what do you mean by limited coaches? The same coaches that work with the A team work with the B teams. And as far as sites and officials, are you saying we don't have enough money for that? Please. 
[/quote]
Believe it or not, there are not enough officials to do that. Just look at what you get now!

[quote name="VNUPE" post="845393" timestamp="1284301599"]
Strongend, I hate to disagree with you. But what do you mean by limited coaches? The same coaches that work with the A team work with the B teams. And as far as sites and officials, are you saying we don't have enough money for that? Please. 
[/quote]
Thank you VNUPE - it is the same coaches & what does it matter if they coach four games one night or two games on two different nights.  Also the officiating excuse doesn't fly either - I work with two officials that have each officiated for over twenty years a piece & they said that's how it used to be - games on both Tuesday & Thursday night.  I know nothing is going to change this year since the schedules are already in place, but my son has told me this is his last year of playing school ball because he is tired of having to participate like everyone else and not getting the same treatment as the A teamers.   

[quote name="bmrm" post="845871" timestamp="1284342210"]
[quote author=VNUPE link=topic=72803.msg845393#msg845393 date=1284301599]
[/quote]
Thank you VNUPE - it is the same coaches & what does it matter if they coach four games one night or two games on two different nights.  Also the officiating excuse doesn't fly either - I work with two officials that have each officiated for over twenty years a piece & they said that's how it used to be - games on both Tuesday & Thursday night.  I know nothing is going to change this year since the schedules are already in place, but my son has told me this is his last year of playing school ball because he is tired of having to participate like everyone else and not getting the same treatment as the A teamers.   
[/quote]
Im not making excuses for the officials, im just saying "look what you get now" start having games on every Tuesday and Thursday and see what you get.
'

Guest strongend
If you played two times a week, wouldnt the players miss a day of practice so the coaches could go coach the other team.  That doesnt make sense either.  It sounds to me that there are a bunch of b team parents that are mad cause their kid isnt the stud.  Be happy there is a b team instead of just one team.  I heard in the area 4A dist, that there is only one 7th grade team.  If this is true, maybe some of you can find a way to play everyone and all kids still win.

Guest strongend
v-nupe. Don't get all wound up because someone doesn't agree with you.  There is no fair way to have multiple teams unless you have an a team and a b team.  Life is not always fair and some of these kids who get everything cause they play for friends and family in youth sports, middle school is the beginning of the real world.  Instead of complaining about something that you dont agree with, find a solution.

Maybe they could play the 7th graders in the morning at butcrack dawn.  ;D The problem is limited time limited coaches, you have 4 coaches working with 3 teams now because of 7th grade football. No additional coaches were added when the 7th grade program began. You have 9th grade A & B teams and J.V. play on Thursday night. If you have a complaint direct it to the proper authorities, not the Coaches, they are only working 12 to 15 hour days. Maybe someone will change the system, but the B team running clock has been in place for a long time, i too have made the drives that were longer than the games. I feel your pain, i wish they would have the games equal, start working on it with all the A.D.'s in the District. Thats were you will have to start.

[quote name="strongend" post="846379" timestamp="1284393484"]
If you played two times a week, wouldnt the players miss a day of practice so the coaches could go coach the other team.  That doesnt make sense either.  It sounds to me that there are a bunch of b team parents that are mad cause their kid isnt the stud.  Be happy there is a b team instead of just one team.  I heard in the area 4A dist, that there is only one 7th grade team.  If this is true, maybe some of you can find a way to play everyone and all kids still win.
[/quote]
Well our practices only last until 4:30 so I'm really not sure if the players would miss a day of practice or not.  I don't know about mad parents, I just brought up the subject of one squad getting the opportunity to actually play an entire game while the other squad is subjected to a running clock.  For those of you who may know me, you know I have never ever claimed any of my children should be "the stud" like you suggested.  If these boys are gonna have to put in the same time & hard work as their A team counterparts, they should get the opportunity to showcase their talents in a regulation game without a running clock.     

[quote name="9Doggies" post="846593" timestamp="1284408694"]
Maybe they could play the 7th graders in the morning at butcrack dawn.  ;D The problem is limited time limited coaches, you have 4 coaches working with 3 teams now because of 7th grade football. No additional coaches were added when the 7th grade program began. You have 9th grade A & B teams and J.V. play on Thursday night. If you have a complaint direct it to the proper authorities, not the Coaches, they are only working 12 to 15 hour days. Maybe someone will change the system, but the B team running clock has been in place for a long time, i too have made the drives that were longer than the games. I feel your pain, i wish they would have the games equal, start working on it with all the A.D.'s in the District. Thats were you will have to start.
[/quote]
What are you talking about?  All the 7th graders practice in the morning & all the 8th graders practice in the afternoon.  I would think that all the coaches teach the same game plan whether it be 7th or 8th grade.  It would seem ridiculous to follow one philosophy for 7th grade and another for 8th grade.  As I have previously stated, my simple gripe is that the B team kids(not just my son) who have put forth as much effort as the A teamers, are getting the shaft as it seems the A team games are more important.  Last I checked there isn't a Lombardi trophy awarded for being the first place team in junior high football.   

Believe me i know how the system works. I was trying to direct those involved to the right people to change it. 1 Coach in Nederland is not going to changed the running clock, all the coaches at the Junior High level in the District have to agree on it. Like Strongend said, lets find a solution and quit complaining. You can be the person who gets it changed.

It was explained to me about 2 years ago, that 8th grade game is to start at a specific time,  as an example I'll use 530pm.  One game the bus driver took a wrong turn, did not know how to get to the old TJ Stadium, players on bus has to get the driver there, they were late for start of game.  7th grade game started and then ended at 5:20,  they played about 1.5 quarters. School night, they don't want middle school kids out late on school nights.  Luckily, my son's team did not have A&B then.  You will not change the system overnight.  At this school, every kid on the team played, most kids got a few plays in. He lost alot of oppurtunity to for knowledge in that year. Luckily he had outside oppurtunitys.  He learned even if you only get 3 plays,  do what you can on the plays you are in there for, make a tackle, catch the ball, create a turnover, positive things, get noticed.  Thank goodness he is in high school now. 

I understand all the points of view, but there will be nothing changed with this situation.  As for officials, there really are not enough.  All the freshman and JV teams play on Thursday nights as well as for sure the 3A MS games.  4A plays on Tuesday and probably 2A and 5A as well.  You think about how many games that is on each night; they split them up because of the lack of officials.  I agree with the post about not keeping the MS kids out late on school nights, they are not going to do it.  The games normally end between 9 and 10 when there are 4 of them.  Now add an hour and then a 30-45 minute drive home and wow! 

Also, not all schools practice in the morning and I know for a fact at one area school there are 3 MS coaches with about 90 kids in football.  Would definitely be impossible to play games 2 different nights during the week or to play home and away on the same night.  At least these kids are getting more playing time than they would if they were backups with only one team!

JMO

[quote name="bmrm" post="845871" timestamp="1284342210"]
[quote author=VNUPE link=topic=72803.msg845393#msg845393 date=1284301599]
[/quote]
Thank you VNUPE - it is the same coaches & what does it matter if they coach four games one night or two games on two different nights.  Also the officiating excuse doesn't fly either - I work with two officials that have each officiated for over twenty years a piece & they said that's how it used to be - games on both Tuesday & Thursday night.  I know nothing is going to change this year since the schedules are already in place, but my son has told me this is his last year of playing school ball because he is tired of having to [size=14pt][b]participate [/b] [/size] like everyone else and not getting the same treatment as the A teamers.   
[/quote]

I believe the answer may lie in this one word.........athletics is about competition, not participation.  In other words, if you want to play in a game with a regulation clock, then work hard to make the A team.  As I see it, the "B" games are designed to give the kids, that go to practice, an opportunity to play and get some experience in game situations and to keep their interest up.  If not for the "B" games, many kids would practice all week and then sit on the bench all game or get very limited playing time (much less playing time than a game with a running clock). 

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    SVD Beaumont
    Newest Member
    SVD Beaumont