Select Softball Conflict with School Sports

[quote name="bleed orange" post="821145" timestamp="1280265657"]
[quote author=Mc link=topic=71234.msg821130#msg821130 date=1280263381]
I'll play the devil's advocate here. Suppose the AD is attempting to protect the coaches at his schools. If retainment of coaching staffs are based on performance then why not give the coaches a tool to help them strengthen their programs? That tool could blowup in their face, but a tool nonetheless. I think that most select teams work around fall HS sports to some extent. Players might lose some softball game playing time or even have someone overtake their position due to their absence, but, as a player, they should know those consequences going into to it and accept the outcome. The same should be true if the roles were reversed.
[/quote]

Good post. Here is another one for you. Once he lets one then he will have to let everyone and a snowball effect begins. May start out as a few then next thing you know it is 20 (10 boys and 10 girls). At a small school your kids who play select ball are usually your better athletes. We had two of our best athlete last year specialize in one sport and it was not football. This year we have 3 maybe more. It is right for these select coach to try to convince these kids into playing one sport? And you guys know they do. Also what about these parents who schedule vacation the first week of August because they either forgot or did not know for some reason there was practice that week. Yes, it does happen. I understand these are all isolated incidents but they do happen. When is enough, Enough? I thought an AD was suppose to look after all sports not just Softball. 20 is a little overkill but if you give people an inch they will take a mile.
[/quote]

You miss the point...the point IS....ONLY high coaches pose consequences toward select sports or club sports......you will NEVER see a select or club coach punish a kid for playing HS sports!

Truth be told, any HS sport that is competitive is so because of the number of select/club players they have...PERIOD! Then they want to punish them for it! go figure!

The main reason its a problem (for Texas) is that we start school so early. Most states do not start school until after Labor Day, therefore its not an issue!

and you can fool yourselves if you want...but if this were a discussion about boys (particularly football)  the "rules" would be different....that is a FACT!

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name="Tigers9" post="821208" timestamp="1280270492"]
[quote author=bleed orange link=topic=71234.msg821145#msg821145 date=1280265657]
[quote author=Mc link=topic=71234.msg821130#msg821130 date=1280263381]
I'll play the devil's advocate here. Suppose the AD is attempting to protect the coaches at his schools. If retainment of coaching staffs are based on performance then why not give the coaches a tool to help them strengthen their programs? That tool could blowup in their face, but a tool nonetheless. I think that most select teams work around fall HS sports to some extent. Players might lose some softball game playing time or even have someone overtake their position due to their absence, but, as a player, they should know those consequences going into to it and accept the outcome. The same should be true if the roles were reversed.
[/quote]

Good post. Here is another one for you. Once he lets one then he will have to let everyone and a snowball effect begins. May start out as a few then next thing you know it is 20 (10 boys and 10 girls). At a small school your kids who play select ball are usually your better athletes. We had two of our best athlete last year specialize in one sport and it was not football. This year we have 3 maybe more. It is right for these select coach to try to convince these kids into playing one sport? And you guys know they do. Also what about these parents who schedule vacation the first week of August because they either forgot or did not know for some reason there was practice that week. Yes, it does happen. I understand these are all isolated incidents but they do happen. When is enough, Enough? I thought an AD was suppose to look after all sports not just Softball. 20 is a little overkill but if you give people an inch they will take a mile.
[/quote]

You miss the point...the point IS....ONLY high coaches pose consequences toward select sports or club sports......you will NEVER see a select or club coach punish a kid for playing HS sports!

Truth be told, any HS sport that is competitive is so because of the number of select/club players they have...PERIOD! Then they want to punish them for it! go figure!

The main reason its a problem (for Texas) is that we start school so early. Most states do not start school until after Labor Day, therefore its not an issue!

and you can fool yourselves if you want...but if this were a discussion about boys (particularly football)  the "rules" would be different....that is a FACT!
[/quote]
I agree. The high school coaches would bend over backwards to meet the needs of a football player, but when it comes to the sports on the back burner, they simply don't care. They say stay in shape, exercise, etc., but when the player does it during the summer like they said and it runs into the summer training, it is all of a sudden a problem.

Guest bleed orange
[quote name="AggiesAreWe" post="821199" timestamp="1280269783"]
[quote author=WeedBegone link=topic=71234.msg821072#msg821072 date=1280256501]
Any smart HS coach understands that atheletes that participate in summer sports has tremendous benefits for his HS program.  I often see HS coaches at the area tournaments and they support their players in addition to gaining an abundance of information just by observing.  

What you dont see very often is HS coaches coaching from the stands and getting involved directly with the players which while being a common courtesy, it also is frowned upon by UIL.  On the other hand, it should also be the same common courtesy for Select coaches to refrain from coaching outside the dug out at a HS game.  

Also, the same should apply in situations when it is not the same sport.  As long as atheletes are staying in shape, multi seasons and or multi sports should be acceptable.
[/quote]

I like this post. Good one Weed.
[/quote]

I like this post also, multiple high school sports are a must at a 3A school. I do not put select teams in that category. These coaches job status are based on results. It is their lively hood. Softball is not the income of some of these select ball coaches. What happens when your star player on the volleyball court gets hurts during a softball game? Would'nt you say that hurt's the "TEAM". High school sports is the only form of "Pure Sport" left on this earth and it is slowly slipping away. Someone said this is 2010 well 2010 pretty much sucks. blah, blah blah. The 70's and 80's was better. At least in the 70's and 80's the value's were still there.

Guest bleed orange
[quote name="rschuldt" post="821223" timestamp="1280272536"]
We 70s and 80s are over with and gone. [b]Forget about them[/b] because they are [b]never[/b] going to come back (at least not the 1970s and 1980s).
[/quote]

It is sad that era is over because it was a lot simplier back then. My daughter played AAU basketball. High School basketball came first. AAU Second. Did not care about college scouts only her getting better and she did. The rest is history. I think select ball is a good thing but not at the expense of the high school programs. Your high school years are the best and should be remembered forever. You guys still did not answer my question. Do you think it is OK for a select coach to try to convince a kid to just play one sport?

[color=red]I like this post also, multiple high school sports are a must at a 3A school. I do not put select teams in that category. [/color]
You do not put select teams in what category? a must? They are if you want even a "Chance" of playing college in that sport!

[color=red]These coaches job status are based on results. It is their lively hood. [/color]
These girls future status is based on results. It is THEIR lively hood! Its their love. In some cases its their only way out (or into college) which will be there for them the rest of their lives.

[color=red]Softball is not the income of some of these select ball coaches. [/color]
I dont care if you are a millionaire, if softball or any other sport can pay for college Id think most would welcome the savings....hence it does pay...or at least payoff in savings, not to mention, it may be the ONLY way some of these girls will even be able to go to college!

[color=red]What happens when your star player on the volleyball court gets hurts during a softball game? Would'nt you say that hurt's the "TEAM". [/color]
What happens when an AD uses his power irresponsibly and keeps a softball player from playing VB for the year? Wouldnt you say that hurts the "TEAM".

[color=red]High school sports is the only form of "Pure Sport" left on this earth and it is slowly slipping away. [/color]
What a joke, HS sports are the most over rated at any level. Most of the time (if you even have a coach that has a clue) has to spend most of their time getting the recreational players ready to compete, and allow the "select" players to just do their thing. What are you calling "pure sport" glorified rec league?

[color=red]Someone said this is 2010 well 2010 pretty much sucks. blah, blah blah. The 70's and 80's was better. At least in the 70's and 80's the value's were still there[/color] So are they now, and to say anything else implies that because a kid chooses to be the best they can be and have one sport be a priority over another for the purpose of playing at the highest level they can that they are what? a kid without values........id say they have HIGHER values, knowing what they sacrifice to achieve what they do!

[quote name="bleed orange" post="821225" timestamp="1280273376"]
[quote author=rschuldt link=topic=71234.msg821223#msg821223 date=1280272536]
We 70s and 80s are over with and gone. [b]Forget about them[/b] because they are [b]never[/b] going to come back (at least not the 1970s and 1980s).
[/quote]

It is sad that era is over because it was a lot simplier back then. My daughter played AAU basketball. High School basketball came first. AAU Second. Did not care about college scouts only her getting better and she did. The rest is history. I think select ball is a good thing but not at the expense of the high school programs. Your high school years are the best and should be remembered forever. You guys still did not answer my question. [color=red]Do you think it is OK for a select coach to try to convince a kid to just play one sport?[/color]
[/quote]

No I do not. However, I do not know of any "select softball" coaches that do this. There is a reason for these last few threads......the only coaches that do this is the HS coaches, and they do it to each other within the same school...........like I said before, H-J softball had to forfiet an early season tournament due to several SB players being on the BB team and not being allowed to play until BB was over.

Note: the BB team was not practicing or playing that weekend......so they just sat at home and did NOTHING along with the rest of the SB team, becasue they couldnt play without those players.

[quote name="bleed orange" post="821221" timestamp="1280272212"]
[quote author=AggiesAreWe link=topic=71234.msg821199#msg821199 date=1280269783]
Any smart HS coach understands that atheletes that participate in summer sports has tremendous benefits for his HS program.  I often see HS coaches at the area tournaments and they support their players in addition to gaining an abundance of information just by observing.  

What you dont see very often is HS coaches coaching from the stands and getting involved directly with the players which while being a common courtesy, it also is frowned upon by UIL.  On the other hand, it should also be the same common courtesy for Select coaches to refrain from coaching outside the dug out at a HS game.  

Also, the same should apply in situations when it is not the same sport.  As long as atheletes are staying in shape, multi seasons and or multi sports should be acceptable.
[/quote]

[/quote]

I like this post also, multiple high school sports are a must at a 3A school. I do not put select teams in that category. These coaches job status are based on results. It is their lively hood. Softball is not the income of some of these select ball coaches. What happens when your star player on the volleyball court gets hurts during a softball game? Would'nt you say that hurt's the "TEAM". High school sports is the only form of "Pure Sport" left on this earth and it is slowly slipping away. Someone said this is 2010 well 2010 pretty much sucks. blah, blah blah. The 70's and 80's was better. At least in the 70's and 80's the value's were still there.
[/quote]

Nice post, bleed.  

A couple of things.  First of all about this "bad" man that is putting down this edict.  Brian Huckabay knows all about the riggers of summer ball as his son, recently graduated, played a bit of summer ball so it is not as as if he is unsympathetic about these young lady's plights.  Second, I think that no one can lecture him on issue of sacrifice.  This is a man who left his coaching job so that his wife could take an administrators job in another district.  

But finally and most of all, he is an administrator that has to oversee the performance of ALL sports.  He is trying to protect the volleyball coach and her time to practice and prepare her team for the season.  Unlike football (and for those that believe that if a guy was missing a football two a day that he'd be allowed to slide, i can ASSURE you that football coaches would have QUITE the opposite reaction), volleyball does not have 3-4 weeks to get their teams ready for the season.  If a player misses "a couple" of practices, they are missing most, if not all of their preseason practices.  In what position does that put the volleyball coaches?  In what position does that put the teammates that must adjust during the season on the fly.

I read a bunch about the AD being close minded, yet I read things like "We will not let anyone tell our kids in this Organization, no matter who it may be, that select softball should take a back seat to anything."  It sounds like a whole lot of pot calling the kettle black.

Guest bleed orange
[quote name="WOSgrad" post="821237" timestamp="1280274326"]
[quote author=bleed orange link=topic=71234.msg821221#msg821221 date=1280272212]
[quote author=AggiesAreWe link=topic=71234.msg821199#msg821199 date=1280269783]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Nice post, bleed.  

A couple of things.  First of all about this "bad" man that is putting down this edict.  Brian Huckabay knows all about the riggers of summer ball as his son, recently graduated, played a bit of summer ball so it is not as as if he is unsympathetic about these young lady's plights.  Second, I think that no one can lecture him on issue of sacrifice.  This is a man who left his coaching job so that his wife could take an administrators job in another district.  

But finally and most of all, he is an administrator that has to oversee the performance of ALL sports.  He is trying to protect the volleyball coach and her time to practice and prepare her team for the season.  Unlike football (and for those that believe that if a guy was missing a football two a day that he'd be allowed to slide, i can ASSURE you that football coaches would have QUITE the opposite reaction), volleyball does not have 3-4 weeks to get their teams ready for the season.  If a player misses "a couple" of practices, they are missing most, if not all of their preseason practices.  In what position does that put the volleyball coaches?  In what position does that put the teammates that must adjust during the season on the fly.

I read a bunch about the AD being close minded, yet I read things like "We will not let anyone tell our kids in this Organization, no matter who it may be, that select softball should take a back seat to anything."  It sounds like a whole lot of pot calling the kettle black.
[/quote]

Great post "Grad".

[color=red]A couple of things.  First of all about this "bad" man that is putting down this edict.  Brian Huckabay knows all about the riggers of summer ball as his son, recently graduated, played a bit of summer ball so it is not as as if he is [u]unsympathetic [/u] about these young lady's plights.  [/color]

Just unrealistic

[color=red]Second, I think that no one can lecture him on issue of sacrifice.  This is a man who left his coaching job so that his wife could take an administrators job in another district[/color]

Some sacrifice! so his family could provide better for themselves, being administrators make about twice that of a regular teacher, now they have not one but 2 administrator salaries.....some sacrifice. Maybe had he stayed where he was becaused he loved the kids, and his job.....oh wait...my bad...how DUMB would that be, he did what was best for him and his family. But wants to PUNISH these kids for doing whats best for them!

[color=red]But finally and most of all, he is an administrator that has to oversee the performance of ALL sports.  He is trying to protect the volleyball coach and her time to practice and prepare her team for the season.  [/color] really? by making a rule that eliminates some of the best athletes the school has to offer, and weakening a team in the process.......what performace does expect to achieve? Not to mention, if I heard correctly, the VB coach doesnt have a problem with them missing or at least not to the point to keep them from playing ALL season! So who is he protecting....or what? His ego!

[color=red]Unlike football (and for those that believe that if a guy was missing a football two a day that he'd be allowed to slide, i can ASSURE you that football coaches would have QUITE the opposite reaction), [/color] I can show you the arrest records and the oversite by "football" coaching staffs and AD's to PROVE otherwise.......at ALL levels....Jr High, HS, College, and Pro! Dont EVEN go there!

Guest bleed orange
[quote name="Tigers9" post="821230" timestamp="1280273738"]
[color=red]I like this post also, multiple high school sports are a must at a 3A school. I do not put select teams in that category. [/color]
You do not put select teams in what category? a must? They are if you want even a "Chance" of playing college in that sport!

[color=red]These coaches job status are based on results. It is their lively hood. [/color]
These girls future status is based on results. It is THEIR lively hood! Its their love. In some cases its their only way out (or into college) which will be there for them the rest of their lives.

[color=red]Softball is not the income of some of these select ball coaches. [/color]
I dont care if you are a millionaire, if softball or any other sport can pay for college Id think most would welcome the savings....hence it does pay...or at least payoff in savings, not to mention, it may be the ONLY way some of these girls will even be able to go to college!

[color=red]What happens when your star player on the volleyball court gets hurts during a softball game? Would'nt you say that hurt's the "TEAM". [/color]
What happens when an AD uses his power irresponsibly and keeps a softball player from playing VB for the year? Wouldnt you say that hurts the "TEAM".

[color=red]High school sports is the only form of "Pure Sport" left on this earth and it is slowly slipping away. [/color]
What a joke, HS sports are the most over rated at any level. Most of the time (if you even have a coach that has a clue) has to spend most of their time getting the recreational players ready to compete, and allow the "select" players to just do their thing. What are you calling "pure sport" glorified rec league?

[color=red]Someone said this is 2010 well 2010 pretty much sucks. blah, blah blah. The 70's and 80's was better. At least in the 70's and 80's the value's were still there[/color] So are they now, and to say anything else implies that because a kid chooses to be the best they can be and have one sport be a priority over another for the purpose of playing at the highest level they can that they are what? a kid without values........id say they have HIGHER values, knowing what they sacrifice to achieve what they do!
[/quote]

[color=red]Comment 1:[/color] I do not put select ball in the same category with High School softball.  It sounds like you are putting a lot of stock in the select system or should I say counting on the system paying for her college. Hope it works out for you. It did for me but no select team helped out.

[color=red]Comment 2:[/color] I agree, for some it is the only way out and for those I hope they attain it. But in some cases the parent can afford it just did not prepare for it. Too many toys.

[color=red]Comment 3:[/color] I agree, it paid for my daughter. But again some parents put to much stock in it. I figure if they can pay for select ball they can pay for college.

[color=red]Comment 4:[/color] Life is about choices, once you make it live with it. They are incoming freshmen. Hopefully this is a life lesson they will learn from. Make them stronger.

[color=red]Comment 5:[/color] Most select teams have kids from different schools on their team. So it is the best of the best. High school coaches don't have that luxury. You pretty much have a problem with the kids that are less gifted. Feel sorry for you. Recreational kids that a good one. Maybe some kids who know they are not as gifted just want to part of a team. Don't have that in Select ball right!!! Every kid is good in select ball.

[color=red]Comment 6:[/color] Not talking about values in high school sports, Look how the proffesional athletes act. Better yet go to snake island on Rayburn during the holiday's or the Zoo on crystal beach you will see that this generation has lost some values. I do not not catergorize those kid with every kid Things have changed. Say what you want but back in the 70's we did not get naked in broad day light, we at least waited till it got dark.  Where no one could see us. LOL!!!!!!

Guest bleed orange
Also have not heard of the girls select coaches trying to convince the girls to play one sport. But have heard it with the boys. And yes I do know it happens at the high school level but not at a 3A school. Can't afford it.

Our softball program the G.T. Shockers Gold has helped 14 kids to college sholarships right now and we also have 3 2010s signed, 1 2011 and 2 2012  comitted for a total of 20 kids in 3 full years as a program. So if your kid is comitted to putting in the work and doing things the right way she has a great chance of being rewarded with a sholarship. We have had 100% sign rate so far. We have signed kids to D1, D2, D3, NAIA and Junior Colleges so the hard work at this it does pay off.  How many scholarships has the High Schooll volleyball team gotten signed in the last 3 years? Just wondering?

[color=red]Comment 1:[/color] I do not put select ball in the same category with High School softball.  It sounds like you are putting a lot of stock in the select system or should I say counting on the system paying for her college. Hope it works out for you. It did for me but no select team helped out.

[color=red]No not counting on it, it is my kids goal to play college softball, she is close with many schools interested she going to be a Soph. The scholarship part is the "trophy" so to speak, something that SHE will have earned, not something that DADDY paid for, it will be HERS![/color]

[color=red]Comment 2:[/color] I agree, for some it is the only way out and for those I hope they attain it. But in some cases the parent can afford it just did not prepare for it. Too many toys.

[color=red]True, so whats wrong with the kids taking care of her own future?[/color]

[color=red]Comment 3:[/color] I agree, it paid for my daughter. But again some parents put to much stock in it. I figure if they can pay for select ball they can pay for college.

[color=red]And "most" can or could I guess, but then again, these girls take pride in EARNING a scholarship, not just getting it paid for.[/color]

[color=red]Comment 4:[/color] Life is about choices, once you make it live with it. They are incoming freshmen. Hopefully this is a life lesson they will learn from. Make them stronger.

[color=red]Im sure it will be, not matter the agenda of a HS AD, stick to your priorities, do not let ANYONE discourage you, especially some overpaid PE teacher that has nothing to do with securing their future![/color]

[color=red]Comment 5:[/color] Most select teams have kids from different schools on their team. So it is the best of the best. High school coaches don't have that luxury. You pretty much have a problem with the kids that are less gifted. Feel sorry for you. Recreational kids that a good one. Maybe some kids who know they are not as gifted just want to part of a team. Don't have that in Select ball right!!! Every kid is good in select ball.

[color=red]There will always be some better than others, no matter the level (even pro) whats that have to do with anything that I said? Select Kids make or break a HS team......Look at BC softball, they DOMINATED district 21-3A for years, now some other schools have caught up to them in the select numbers, teams are more balanced now![/color]

[color=red]Comment 6:[/color] Not talking about values in high school sports, Look how the proffesional athletes act. Better yet go to snake island on Rayburn during the holiday's or the Zoo on crystal beach you will see that this generation has lost some values. I do not not catergorize those kid with every kid Things have changed. Say what you want but back in the 70's we did not get naked in broad day light, we at least waited till it got dark.  Where no one could see us. LOL!!!!!!

[color=red]So that makes it better? Id rather you shoot me while I look at you, rather than in the back! either way youre a murderer, just because you dont have witnesses doesnt make you have more character, or at least not to me!  As my God says, if you think it, youve sinned! no more no less than those who actually say it, a closet sinner or a broad daylight sinner, makes no difference![/color]

You seem to not have much faith in the select system, and thats fine, it didnt work for you (or you DD) but it has been very successful for our select group. 100% of our girls have signed or committed to play college softball. I cant think of any softball players that have gone on to play college softball because of ONLY HS.....I can tell you of several that played college softball that didnt even play HS softball........just saying!

I see that several of our very non-threatening logical threads were deleted?

Many ADs have it in for Softball all over the country now......yet those teams that make the HS SB final four in all classifications are loaded with top select players--what gives?

Also, I attended the State Volleyball Tourney this past year: I guarantee every winner and runner-up team was stacked to the hilt with Club Select Team players--what gives?  These kids need college scholarship to play SB and they get them from mostly playing Select Softball, in front of a host of college scouts mainly at National events--what gives?

As for OF the inconsistency by ADs has killed the HS softball almost into being non-existent. The AD previous to the present, said a SB player had to play another sport.

Here is sadly what happened, the Ratcliff girl was told she had to get up and run CrossCountry at 6am in the off season-- when SB was out of season.  Here is an exceptional scholar of a youth that just wanted to play SB and her grades were paramount of importance to get an academic scholarship.  Yes she was also an exceptional proven Short Stop.  She drops out of SB...sad.

Now the next AD has a totally different agenda.   If you are trying to get a college scholarship in SB and feel you need to be seen by many SB college Scouts at Nationals--"So what"; no consideration given...Select at National levels trashed-- you miss a two-a-day for Volleyball you cannot ever play!  

I was watching BC beat a OF team this year and was thinking... Egos..have caused the demise of OF"s SB team.  They had a great positive SB Coach; but a lot of players are not playing because of the attitudes and lack of continuity of a few.. adults.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Hopefully this can be handled by their School Board.  I would hope to see OF being a player in trying to win the 21-3A District in Volleyball with the multi-sport talent that exist in their school!

Guest Breakercoach
My 2 Cents

High School Ball comes first

If it was about the money, (Scholarships) I would not have played softball, I could have sent my kid to Harvard !  ;D

And like YG was saying if HS is going to force the girls to a decision, then it is the girls decision. Let the chips fall.

And if I had a redo, Go for volleyball it is indoor (air conditioned) and no rainouts !  ;D

[quote name="East TX" post="821302" timestamp="1280283638"]
[b]I see that several of our very non-threatening logical threads were delete?????[/b]

Many ADs have it in for Softball all over the country now......yet those teams that make the SB final four in all classifications are loaded with top select players--what gives?  Also, I attended the State Volleyball Tourney this past year: I guarantee every winner and runner-up team was stacked to the hilt with Club Select Team players--what gives?  These kids need college scholarship to play SB and they get them from mostly playing Select Softball, in front of a host of college scouts--what gives?

As for OF the inconsistancy by ADs has killed the HS softball almost into being non-existent. The AD previous to the present, said a SB player had to play another sport.

Here is sadly what happened, the Ratcliff girl was told she had to get up and run Crossounty at 6am in the off season when SB was out of season.  Here is an exceptional scholar of a youth that just wanted to play SB and her grades were paramount of importance to get an academic scholarship.  Yes she was also an exceptional proven Short Stop.  She drops out of SB...sad.

Now the next AD has a totally different agenda.   If you are trying to get a college scholarship in SB and feel you need to be seen by many SB college Scouts at National--"So what"; no consideration given...select at National levels trashed-- you miss a two-a-day for Volleyball you cannot play!  

I was watching BC beat a OF team this year and was thinking... Egos..have caused the demise of OFs SB team.  They had a great positive SB Coach but a lot of players are not playing because of the attitudes and lack of continuity of a few.. adults.
[/quote]

Only one thread was deleted and it was by the member who created the thread. His perogrative. No mods or admins have deleted any threads in this forum today. Take your witch hunt elsewhere.

Guest bleed orange
[quote name="Tigers9" post="821297" timestamp="1280282895"]

[color=red]No not counting on it, it is my kids goal to play college softball, she is close with many schools interested she going to be a Soph. The scholarship part is the "trophy" so to speak, something that SHE will have earned, not something that DADDY paid for, it will be HERS![/color]

[color=red]True, so whats wrong with the kids taking care of her own future?[/color]

[color=red]And "most" can or could I guess, but then again, these girls take pride in EARNING a scholarship, not just getting it paid for.[/color]

[color=red]Im sure it will be, not matter the agenda of a HS AD, stick to your priorities, do not let ANYONE discourage you, especially some overpaid PE teacher that has nothing to do with securing their future![/color]

[color=red]There will always be some better than others, no matter the level (even pro) whats that have to do with anything that I said? Select Kids make or break a HS team......Look at BC softball, they DOMINATED district 21-3A for years, now some other schools have caught up to them in the select numbers, teams are more balanced now![/color]

[color=red]So that makes it better? Id rather you shoot me while I look at you, rather than in the back! either way youre a murderer, just because you dont have witnesses doesnt make you have more character, or at least not to me!  As my God says, if you think it, youve sinned! no more no less than those who actually say it, a closet sinner or a broad daylight sinner, makes no difference![/color]

You seem to not have much faith in the select system, and thats fine, it didnt work for you (or you DD) but it has been very successful for our select group. 100% of our girls have signed or committed to play college softball. I cant think of any softball players that have gone on to play college softball because of ONLY HS.....I can tell you of several that played college softball that didnt even play HS softball........just saying!
[/quote]

[color=red]Comment 1:[/color] That will be awesome if she attains her goal. Yes, it does help out the family budget. I know because daddy has not paid for my daughters college so far, basketball has. The select system made my daughter better did you not read my post. Maybe you should take your DD out of High school softball because apparently it is all about the select team instead of the Silsbee Tigers.

[color=red]Comment 2: [/color] Nothing wrong with her taking care of her own future. I think that is awesome. She sounds like a great young lady. Takes the pressure off of you right.

[color=red]Comment 3:[/color] I agree they do take pride in earning a scholarship and should but this whole subject is really not about the kids.

[color=red]Comment 4:[/color] Are they going to tell their boss to stick it when they get a job in the real world? Good luck with that.

[color=red]Comment 5:[/color] In Bidge City they have problems. A lot of talent but never goes past the first or second round. Lot of choas over there and why? Can you say "Select Ball". Maybe it has not happened in Silsbee. BC select teams have been around a lot longer. Give it time. To many coaches in the stands.

[color=red]Comment 6:[/color] No closet here only the truth. Your "god"  he is everyones "god".

Have no problem with select ball as long as it does not interfer with school activities. As far as me having problems with my daughter and select ball, I had none like I told you "She got better" I loved it. She played with girls that were older and made her better. The kids were awesome also. I hope you daughter is experiencing the samething and she stay focused. Some don't they get burned out. Mine stayed focused and her college is not being paid for by "Daddy" as you put it. Good Luck. I support the AD 100%.

Guest bleed orange
[quote name="Breakercoach" post="821306" timestamp="1280283895"]
My 2 Cents

High School Ball comes first

If it was about the money, (Scholarships) I would not have played softball, I could have sent my kid to Harvard !  ;D

And like YG was saying if HS is going to force the girls to a decision, then it is the girls decision. Let the chips fall.

And if I had a redo, Go for volleyball it is indoor (air conditioned) and no rainouts !  ;D
[/quote]

Great post.

[color=red]Comment 1:[/color] That will be awesome if she attains her goal. Yes, it does help out the family budget. I know because daddy has not paid for my daughters college so far, basketball has. The select system made my daughter better did you not read my post. Maybe you should take your DD out of High school softball because apparently it is all about the select team instead of the Silsbee Tigers.

[color=red]Never said that, in fact if you have read all of my comments, I commended our coach as understanding what important to each kid. He has worked around club VB players and allows his SB players to practice and play during the season.[/color]

[color=red]Comment 2: [/color] Nothing wrong with her taking care of her own future. I think that is awesome. She sounds like a great young lady. Takes the pressure off of you right.

[color=red]Was not talking about my daughter here, it was in ref to your comment about parents buying to many toys, when otherwise could have paid for college[/color]

[color=red]Comment 3:[/color] I agree they do take pride in earning a scholarship and should but this whole subject is really not about the kids.

[color=red]Its ALL about the kids, thats why "most" are aggitated about the AD's decision to apply the death penalty[/color]

[color=red]Comment 4:[/color] Are they going to tell their boss to stick it when they get a job in the real world? Good luck with that.

[color=red]IF the boss is enforcing rules that are harmful to the growth of the company, creating a situation that would hender the growth of their career, I would hope so.[/color]

[color=red]Comment 5:[/color] In Bidge City they have problems. A lot of talent but never goes past the first or second round. Lot of choas over there and why? Can you say "Select Ball". Maybe it has not happened in Silsbee. BC select teams have been around a lot longer. Give it time. To many coaches in the stands.

[color=red]I can speak for us as fans and probably for our coach, we all know our place and or part. We let him do his job during HS season, he lets us develope during select.....heck he even comes out to watch his players when they are playing locally....[/color]

[color=red]Comment 6:[/color] No closet here only the truth. Your "god"  he is everyones "god".

[color=red]No, not necessarily.....other believe in "A" God, but it isnt necessarily the same one a I do[/color]

Have no problem with select ball as long as it does not interfer with school activities. As far as me having problems with my daughter and select ball, I had none like I told you "She got better" I loved it. She played with girls that were older and made her better. The kids were awesome also. I hope you daughter is experiencing the samething and she stay focused. Some don't they get burned out. Mine stayed focused and her college is not being paid for by "Daddy" as you put it. Good Luck. I support the AD 100%.

[color=red]HS is a very fun time, no doubt about it. You represent your school (home town) play with friends, earn letter jackets, patches, playoffs, dances....etc.etc.etc a very important time in a young persons life.... I AGREE! What I cant agree with is an adult taking that away from a kid who is not a loser, they have done everything RIGHT. [/color]

[color=red]Silsbee AD supported a girls BB coach to sit a girl out for missing the practice the day before a game (team rule) then turns around and forces the boys BB coach to change a hair policy to allow a "football" player to be able to play stating "we cant allow a single coach the make rules that arent consistant with the athletic departments rules.....now all of the happened AFTER the "girl" had already served her punishment....by the way that rules wasnt consistant with the athletic depart either[/color]

[color=red]Yet another, "football" player get DAEP.....skips school, to avoid DAEP.....Truancy officer sends him to judge, judges gives prob. and comm service,,,,kid doesnt do it.......he spends 3 days in jail...( all this happens at the end of year) Start next season.....(2 a days) guess who shows up....plays without consequence from AD[/color]

[color=red]Do I need to continue.........because I have plenty more[/color]

[color=red]Not all HS coaches are bad coaches or people........Our SB coach is a GREAT friend of mine, we dont always agree, but we do respect each others opinions and agree to disagree when necessary[/color]

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    yielder
    Newest Member
    yielder