LC-M Beats Southlake Carroll Friday

I remember when the Mighty Celina Bobcats(or whatever their mascot is) beat the lowly Midland Lee Rebels in touch football......

As I recall, Celina was 2A and Lee is 5A.  It's just touch football.  Of course, when most are in a Sissy Ball state of mind, this is seen as a great accomplishment......

It is amazing to read some of these post about 7 on 7.  Every team in the state should participate in some type of  7 on 7 during the summer for numerous reasons. 

1.  Your kids are out there running around developing athletic skill.
2.  Having fun while conditioning.
3.  No matter what offense you run, eventually you will have to throw the football.
4.  and maybe the most important reason, your kids lean to compete.
5.  Kids you are counting on that have never played a varsity snap are out there getting used to the speed of the game.
6.  At some point in the season, you will play a spread team and now you have experience defending it.

there are many more but these are the biggest.  Chime in if you have others.

As far as LC-M and their showing at state....what a way to go into the year now....lots of momentum...lose to LT by 1 in OT....beat SLC...are you kidding me...I have coached against SLC and I can assure you, there is not a team in that area that can play with them....even in their down years.....and yes, even though 7 on 7 doesn't translate directly to fall success, check out all the teams class A to 5A that play in the semis and I would bet 95% of them have 7 on 7 experiece....so give LC-M their due....and have a clue about football before you start making some of those statements....

[quote name="bellison1" post="817737" timestamp="1278975509"]
It is amazing to read some of these post about 7 on 7.  Every team in the state should participate in some type of  7 on 7 during the summer for numerous reasons.  

1.  Your kids are out there running around developing athletic skill.
2.  Having fun while conditioning.
3.  No matter what offense you run, eventually you will have to throw the football.
4.  and maybe the most important reason, your kids lean to compete.
5.  Kids you are counting on that have never played a varsity snap are out there getting used to the speed of the game.
6.  At some point in the season, you will play a spread team and now you have experience defending it.

there are many more but these are the biggest.  Chime in if you have others.

As far as LC-M and their showing at state....what a way to go into the year now....lots of momentum...lose to LT by 1 in OT....beat SLC...are you kidding me...I have coached against SLC and I can assure you, there is not a team in that area that can play with them....even in their down years.....and yes, even though 7 on 7 doesn't translate directly to fall success, check out all the teams class A to 5A that play in the semis and I would bet 95% of them have 7 on 7 experiece....so give LC-M their due....[b]and have a clue about football before you start making some of those statements[/b]....

[/quote]

so having an opinion that differs from yours translates into not having a clue about football? interesting..... :-\

[quote name="bellison1" post="817737" timestamp="1278975509"]
It is amazing to read some of these post about 7 on 7.  Every team in the state should participate in some type of  7 on 7 during the summer for numerous reasons. 

1.  Your kids are out there running around developing athletic skill.
2.  Having fun while conditioning.
3.  No matter what offense you run, eventually you will have to throw the football.
4.  and maybe the most important reason, your kids lean to compete.
5.  Kids you are counting on that have never played a varsity snap are out there getting used to the speed of the game.
6.  At some point in the season, you will play a spread team and now you have experience defending it.

there are many more but these are the biggest.  Chime in if you have others.

As far as LC-M and their showing at state....what a way to go into the year now....lots of momentum...lose to LT by 1 in OT....beat SLC...are you kidding me...I have coached against SLC and I can assure you, there is not a team in that area that can play with them....even in their down years.....and yes, even though 7 on 7 doesn't translate directly to fall success, check out all the teams class A to 5A that play in the semis and I would bet 95% of them have 7 on 7 experiece....so give LC-M their due....and have a clue about football before you start making some of those statements....
[/quote]You dont think there is a team in the area that can hang with the Mighty Dragons from Southlake? Huh, I beg to differ, sir!

[quote name="AggiesAreWe" post="817397" timestamp="1278798654"]
Wait a minute, I thought this was all a waste of time?

Didn't the resident football guru call this just a glorified 2 below? Doesn't mean anything?

Wow, talk about your about face. ::)
[/quote]

My new hero, keep WOS honest.  ;D ;D

I don't mind the differing opinion, each to their own....It is the "sissy ball" and "It does nothing" and "wait until we put n the pads" comments that are rediculous....you know that....If you have a differnce in opinion, fine....I was just showing reasons why 7 on 7 is important....

And unless you have been on the field with the Dragon Nation, watch what you say.....when was the last time a team down there was a state champ....

LIKE I SAID, I put no stock in 'Touch Football'.  According to you, LC-M should be a state power since they have beaten SLC.  They should win district and make a 4 round playoff run, whipping all the areateams like redheaded step children. In the fall, if this happens, then I will admit that you was right the whole time...

7 on 7 may be important to the kids that participate in it, but it  have nothing to do with 11 on 11 with the pads on.  Heck, me and a couple of my buddies can get out and play touch football...

At this time of the summer their passing game is prepared enough to compete with the passing games of some of the best teams in the state in touch football. They also have a load of experience and confidence going in to the season.

By your logic Lake Travis winning state 7 on 7 means nothing even though they're ranked 1 in the state.

No one predicted an LCM deep playoff run like you described it but don't belittle a great summer accomplishment that helps prepare their team for the upcoming season.

Real great showing in Touch football for the Battlin' Bears. But remember, It's 7 on 7.  Fall ball have 11 players...  This includes O-Linemen who go to war in the trenches (where a game is won and lost at).  I still say it have no bearing on how good a team will be in the fall...  Lake Travis just so happen to have a great touch football team right along with their normally dominant fall team...

Did you happen to look at this avatar next my member name?

No need for the 'Charlie Brown' quotes.  I just gave LC-M their props.  They had a great showing.  Touch football gets you better for the wars on Friday nights? Somewhat...  Conditioning?  A little.  But that's just about it. 

Also, no one said anything about them just sitting at durring the summer.

My whole point of my posts on this subject was to combat the fact that "SOME" people are quick to down play 7 on 7 when their team is not successful or as successful as they wanted them to be but the minute they are successful in 7 on 7 they want to promote and acknowledge that success as an intergral part of their team's football program. ::)

You are either for or against 7 on 7. You can't be both by basing it on how well or bad your team does in the 7 on 7. That's what "SOME" of you are doing. If they do well, you are all giddy about it. If they do bad, well we hear comments like "It's just touch football", "It doesn't mean anything", "It's just practice", and "It doesn't matter when the "real" football starts in the fall".

Give me a break!! ::)

Don't judge the game based on how your team does in the sport. ;)

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    yielder
    Newest Member
    yielder