MLB Deciding Whether to Review Blown Call...

[quote name="KDOSullivan" post="808779" timestamp="1275594356"]
Selig just said no, the call stands.....Once again, ML baseball is a dying sport.....
[/quote]

I don't really understand that... are they "protecting the integrity of the game" by allowing one of the most brutal mistakes in the history of the game to stand?

Guest JoesBros
If you overturn this call you might as well overturn every other bad call that has been made in the game period. The umps being human and making a bad call is part of the game. Should their be instant replay other than for home runs? Yes but their isnt and for once I actually agree with a decision Bug Selig has made.

While the blown call was OBVIOUS, I kinda agree with Commissioner Selig in not overturning the call (man, "agree with Commissioner Selig", I never thought I would utter those words!!).  While the call did cost someone a personal achievement...and admittedly a historic one...it did not change the outcome of the game as far as a win or loss is concerned.  I am sure that Selig saw the potential of being called on to reverse a lot of calls if he had acted on this one.

[quote name="Gabe" post="808795" timestamp="1275597489"]
Improve the replay system I agree with but I agree with the call standing. At this point, human error is part of this great game.
[/quote]

Gabe, it is no longer the "great game" it once was. It is slow paced, it dry it is boring, it needs an advertising bump, and many of the best athletes are no longer attracted to the game.
When I was a kid, lived for MLB. Today, I couldn't tell you the last game I watched on TV. When I was a kid ( and even in my 30s) I loved to go to Houston to eat and then go to the Dome and watch the Astros. I went one time to Minute Maid about 3 years ago for the first time, was miserable, really couldn't see, the seat killed my back and the entire experience was well, boring. When I was a kid, I knew the starting Astros line-up by heart. Today, I think Berkman is still on the team.
I still go to high school football games and find them exciting. I still watch the NFL on Sunday and really miss it this time of year. Heck, I went and saw a CFL game this past Summer when I was in Ontario an found it amazing....
I'm sorry, MLB just doesn't cut it anymore.

[quote name="KDOSullivan" post="808819" timestamp="1275599255"]
[quote author=Gabe link=topic=70258.msg808795#msg808795 date=1275597489]
Improve the replay system I agree with but I agree with the call standing. At this point, human error is part of this great game.
[/quote]

Gabe, it is no longer the "great game" it once was. It is slow paced, it dry it is boring, it needs an advertising bump, and many of the best athletes are no longer attracted to the game.
When I was a kid, lived for MLB. Today, I couldn't tell you the last game I watched on TV. When I was a kid ( and even in my 30s) I loved to go to Houston to eat and then go to the Dome and watch the Astros. I went one time to Minute Maid about 3 years ago for the first time, was miserable, really couldn't see, the seat killed my back and the entire experience was well, boring. When I was a kid, I knew the starting Astros line-up by heart. Today, I think Berkman is still on the team.
I still go to high school football games and find them exciting. I still watch the NFL on Sunday and really miss it this time of year. Heck, I went and saw a CFL game this past Summer when I was in Ontario an found it amazing....
[/quote]

KDO, you're views really do mirror mine...from yesteryear to today to my experience at Minute Maid.

[quote name="WOSgrad" post="808800" timestamp="1275597686"]
While the blown call was OBVIOUS, I kinda agree with Commissioner Selig in not overturning the call (man, "agree with Commissioner Selig", I never thought I would utter those words!!).  While the call did cost someone a personal achievement...and admittedly a historic one...[b]it did not change the outcome of the game as far as a win or loss is concerned.[/b]  I am sure that Selig saw the potential of being called on to reverse a lot of calls if he had acted on this one.
[/quote]

Changing the call wouldn't effect the outcome of the game either.  I agree that the argument could be made to go back and change other calls, but there's a difference between this happening in the 4th and 9th innings.  If the same thing happened in the 4th, and he pitches a 1-hitter, there's no way of proving that a lack of pressure contributed to him not giving up another hit.  In this case, being the very last out of the game, the call completely screwed the player, and had no bearing on any other facet of the game being played.  That being the case, I would like to see them reverse the call.  The whole situation is an atrocity.  I don't see how anybody can look at what happened last night and say that the element of human error involved with the call was "good" for the game.  If anything, it will turn off the casual observer towards baseball.

The Russians hose the Americans in the gold medal game of baseketball. Replay shows Mike Renfro in bounds , Oilers lose to Pittsburg. I don't think Mel Renfro touched the ball that John Mackey took to the house, Colts win the Super bowl over the Cowboys. Lions beat the Steelers with a coin toss mess up in overtime. Was told Aquillard pushes off Nederland defender, Indians steal of victory.

That was a bad call alright, but it's not the worst I have seen. [b]I'd say Jack Clark's HR in the Dome was the worst. It had to have been 25 feet foul.[/b] I think the perfect game beaing ruined is why all the hoopla. Had this been just a game ending play, any other night it wouldn't have even made the highlights.

[quote name="adminbaberuth" post="808853" timestamp="1275603717"]
The Russians hose the Americans in the gold medal game of baseketball. Replay shows Mike Renfro in bounds , Oilers lose to Pittsburg. I don't think Mel Renfro touched the ball that John Mackey took to the house, Colts win the Super bowl over the Cowboys. Lions beat the Steelers with a coin toss mess up in overtime. Was told Aquillard pushes off Nederland defender, Indians steal of victory.
[/quote]

and all of those are the exact opposite of this situation, which makes it seem much less of a problem to reverse this.  the outcome of the game last night doesn't change, but a player gets the honor he deserves for doing something that only 20 others have done before him. 

[quote name="KDOSullivan" post="808819" timestamp="1275599255"]
[/quote]

[/quote]

Your problem isn't with baseball it's the team that you choose to follow.  Everything about houston lastros baseball is bad!!!  The park looks like a warehouse, the uniforms are terrible (bring back the rainbow uniforms), you don't know the players because there are no stars on the team to keep you interested, and the farm system was emptied to go to one world series and get swept.  Don't hate the beautiful game of baseball because the lastros are bad.  Find a team that is worth watching and feel that childhood love of the game come back.

Oh, and just to stay on topic, MLB can't overturn the call.  It's just part of the game.  Close plays at the plate are not overturned and those plays could actually impact the outcome of a game.  There's no way MLB can overturn the call for historical purposes that have no influence on the outcome of the game. 

[quote name="Ty Cobb" post="809073" timestamp="1275661734"]
[quote author=KDOSullivan link=topic=70258.msg808819#msg808819 date=1275599255]
[/quote]

[/quote]

Your problem isn't with baseball it's the team that you choose to follow.  Everything about houston lastros baseball is bad!!!  The park looks like a warehouse, the uniforms are terrible (bring back the rainbow uniforms), you don't know the players because there are no stars on the team to keep you interested, and the farm system was emptied to go to one world series and get swept.  Don't hate the beautiful game of baseball because the lastros are bad.  Find a team that is worth watching and feel that childhood love of the game come back.

Oh, and just to stay on topic, MLB can't overturn the call.  It's just part of the game.  Close plays at the plate are not overturned and those plays could actually impact the outcome of a game.  There's no way MLB can overturn the call for historical purposes that have no influence on the outcome of the game. 
[/quote]

I agree 100%. Very well said, Ty.

[quote name="Ty Cobb" post="809073" timestamp="1275661734"]
[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

It's the game. It has lost me. There is no thrill. Even when Houston went to the WS I only barely had passing interest. Look I loved the Astros in the 60s and 70s and they really were awful in those 2 decades. When I live in the Dallas area in the 1980s, I would go and see the Rangers, just to watch Charlie Hough pitch. Texas was no barn beater during that time. In Spring 1986, I drove out of my way and saw an Arizona Spring Training game between the Giants and A's. Willie Mayes was coaching first base during the game and turned around and picked and teased with the crowd. ( It was a SS game and Willie was coaching first.) Yes, Jose Canseco was in the game and he and Dave Kingman put on the most amazing battling practices I have ever seen.( I take that back, I saw George Brett put on one better when I was in Dallas.)
It ain't the same men, it ain't the same game. The thrill is gone. It is boring.
If I were to switch teams, the question would be who? The Yankees? The Red Sox? I am about to do that about like I am going to vote for a Kennedy or give up Tony Chachere's.

[b]Now they are referring to this as the worst call of all time. It was a bad call and it was pretty obvious, but no way this is the worst. i already said which one I think is the worst.[/b]

KD, did you play baseball as a kid? I believe this is what makes me appreciate the game so much. I know what it takes to make all the throws and catches and try to hit a fastball or curve.

I love Minute Maid Park. It's one of the finest in the country. I take my family maybe 2-3 times a year and stay at the Magnolia Hotel just down the street. They will drop you at the game. You have to walk back (about 8 blocks). We don't care if we win or lose (better if we win of course), we still had a good time just going to the game and relaxing as a family. Give it another try.

[quote name="KDOSullivan" post="809101" timestamp="1275668995"]
[quote author=Ty Cobb link=topic=70258.msg809073#msg809073 date=1275661734]
[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[u][b]It's the game. It has lost me[/b][/u]. There is no thrill. Even when Houston went to the WS I only barely had passing interest. Look I loved the Astros in the 60s and 70s and they really were awful in those 2 decades. When I live in the Dallas area in the 1980s, I would go and see the Rangers, just to watch Charlie Hough pitch. Texas was no barn beater during that time. In Spring 1986, I drove out of my way and saw an Arizona Spring Training game between the Giants and A's. Willie Mayes was coaching first base during the game and turned around and picked and teased with the crowd. ( It was a SS game and Willie was coaching first.) Yes, Jose Canseco was in the game and he and Dave Kingman put on the most amazing battling practices I have ever seen.( I take that back, I saw George Brett put on one better when I was in Dallas.)
It ain't the same men, it ain't the same game. The thrill is gone. It is boring.
If I were to switch teams, the question would be who? The Yankees? The Red Sox? I am about to do that about like I am going to vote for a Kennedy or give up Tony Chachere's.
[/quote]

If it has lost you, then why are you reading and posting on a baseball thread???

[quote name="Court_Jester" post="809386" timestamp="1275705997"]
[quote author=KDOSullivan link=topic=70258.msg809101#msg809101 date=1275668995]
[quote author=Ty Cobb link=topic=70258.msg809073#msg809073 date=1275661734]
[/quote]

[/quote]

Oh, and just to stay on topic, MLB can't overturn the call.  It's just part of the game.  Close plays at the plate are not overturned and those plays could actually impact the outcome of a game.  There's no way MLB can overturn the call for historical purposes that have no influence on the outcome of the game.  
[/quote]

[u][b]It's the game. It has lost me[/b][/u]. There is no thrill. Even when Houston went to the WS I only barely had passing interest. Look I loved the Astros in the 60s and 70s and they really were awful in those 2 decades. When I live in the Dallas area in the 1980s, I would go and see the Rangers, just to watch Charlie Hough pitch. Texas was no barn beater during that time. In Spring 1986, I drove out of my way and saw an Arizona Spring Training game between the Giants and A's. Willie Mayes was coaching first base during the game and turned around and picked and teased with the crowd. ( It was a SS game and Willie was coaching first.) Yes, Jose Canseco was in the game and he and Dave Kingman put on the most amazing battling practices I have ever seen.( I take that back, I saw George Brett put on one better when I was in Dallas.)
[/quote]

If it has lost you, then why are you reading and posting on a baseball thread???
[/quote]

I wanted to see if Selig was going to push for instant replay, or stay in the Dark Ages.....The story was only the headline on all media outlets, CNN, FOX News, MSNBC, heck it was even on the BBC......and this was the first time I have visited the MLB site in months.
Can't I even care that I would LIKE to enjoy the game again?

Maybe it's just because I'm still a 'young buck' compared to some people on this board, but I still believe it's one of the greatest loves a person can have in life. Obviously, I'm not married. So it's God, family, friends, and baseball.. Probably in the order. When I get married we can throw my wife after my friends.  ;) But there is no greater love. Baseball builds character and sportsmanship. For those of you that are "Lost" by the game.. Quit watching MLB. Get ESPN-U and watch college kids play the game right. Go stop by a high school field and watch kids put everything they have into it. It's an old saying.. [b]Baseball was made for kids, grown ups only screw it up.[/b] I couldn't find a better statement to describe the world of baseball. I'm 19, and I still couldn't love the game more. I get to the ball park [b]at least[/b] 2 hours before every game just to soak it all in. Even in my summer games, I'll get to the field 2 hours before just to sit in the dugout and stare over the field and listen to the music coming from the pressbox. It's an amazing feeling. I'm sorry to know that there are people that have lost that feeling... Work to get it back, but either way.. The game will go on with or without you. If you can't love MLB, then go watch high school or college with kids that play the game with heart every second of every game. Remember, us college players don't get paid to play.  ;) It's all for the love of it.

Excellent post...Better yet, here in Texas you can watch some of the best talent in the nation play at the high school, select, and college level. It's hard to beat a nice sunny day watching the Rice Owls play at beautiful Reckling Park. Over the years, when not watching my own son play, I got to  see Josh Beckett, Matthew Purke, James Tallon, Anthony Rendon, Scott Kazmir, Aaron Miller, James Loney, and many others play at the high school level.

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    TankParrish83
    Newest Member
    TankParrish83