[quote name="baseball25" post="808860" timestamp="1275605283"]
Augie and graham get it done every yr, I didn't want to go to Lamar lol, I went Galveston when Corbell was there and when they were the San jac of juco baseball and were a pipeline of getting ton of players drafted  but had 2 surgeys and never got back to 100 percent, but still got to throw 346 innings at the college level, but I had no intentions to ever goin to Lamar out of hs.
[/quote]

That's cool a lot of kids want to get away for college. Sorry to hear about your (I assume) arm injuries.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name="baseball25" post="808707" timestamp="1275581999"]
Big time schools won't come there because Gilligan won't give them a game back and go to there place, Big schools use to come here  and the stadium is way better than what it was back in the hay day but gilligan plays a weak schedule now, I mean its LAMAR they need to go to big time places and play, but gilligan is to arrogant and won't travel to Texas, Aggies,Baylor, Lsu, and etc. I am tired of the excuses.
[/quote]

I call BS on this post.  You have no idea what you are talking about.  Gilligan refuses to schedule a team who will only play at their place but then not come to Lamar.  As you have told many of us "get YOUR facts straight".  I have had this conversation with G several times.  He says it is very frustrating but he will not schedule a  school who will not come here too.  I commend him for that......

[quote name="LU Baseball Fan" post="810358" timestamp="1276030917"]
[quote author=baseball25 link=topic=70153.msg808707#msg808707 date=1275581999]
Big time schools won't come there because Gilligan won't give them a game back and go to there place, Big schools use to come here  and the stadium is way better than what it was back in the hay day but gilligan plays a weak schedule now, I mean its LAMAR they need to go to big time places and play, but gilligan is to arrogant and won't travel to Texas, Aggies,Baylor, Lsu, and etc. I am tired of the excuses.
[/quote]

I call BS on this post.  You have no idea what you are talking about.  Gilligan refuses to schedule a team who will only play at their place but then not come to Lamar.  As you have told many of us "get YOUR facts straight".  I have had this conversation with G several times.  He says it is very frustrating but he will not schedule a  school who will not come here too.  I commend him for that......
[/quote]

Like I said, our SOS will not go up until they travel places. Like I've said several times, why would UT, A&M, Baylor, etc... Travel all the way to Beaumont for one game and return that day without being able to shower? When they can have a team equal to Lamar gladly come to their place and save them a road trip?

Guest baseball25
Congra you talk to gilligan who gives a flying flip, it's Lamar lol and play in the southland you have to make sacrifices  and go to big school and play major programs if you want to build a better program and have high expectations, like I said gilligan thinks he's bigger than what he is, gurantee you if they play bigger schools like they use too and they will get better recruits to come to lamar and I am buddies with alot of ex Lamar players and they feel the same way.  I would love for Lamar to bring San Jac Coach in.

[b]Tom Arrington:[/b] Head Coach
Tom Arrington
Overall Record: 400-140, tenth season

Leading the baseball program at San Jacinto College means more than performing a job for Tom Arrington. The way he sees it, he has an obligation to both his college and his players to help them continue their development and extend their playing career.

So far, so good for Arrington, who took over the San Jacinto College program as head coach prior to the 2001 season. Since then, San Jac has made six trips to the National Junior College Athletic Association (NJCAA) World Series, including last season’s exciting run to Grand Junction.

2009 was, by all measures, a successful season, despite not having a home field to play on due to construction at JR Harrison Field. Nine baseball student-athletes were named to the all-conference team, and Arrington was tabbed as the conference coach of the year. Deric Hawkins and Tommy Collier earned NJCAA All-American honors in leading San Jac to a 45-11 record, the conference title, and a tie for fourth at the World Series.

In 2008, Arrington led San Jac to a 44-14 record, and saw two of his players from that team drafted in the majors. San Jac advanced to the semifinals of the Region XIV tournament, just shy of a return trip to the JUCO World Series.

In 2007, Arrington guided San Jac to a 46-16 record, complete with another conference crown, Region XIV tournament title and a third-place finish at the World Series. Along the way, Arrington surpassed the 300-win mark as head coach at San Jacinto College, where he’s now 400-140 (.741) over seven seasons.

Wayne Graham, now the head coach at Rice University, led San Jac to five national titles from 1985 to 1990 and won 586 games over 11 seasons. Graham’s successor, Chris Rupp, took San Jac to four consecutive World Series (1997, 1998, 1999, 2000), with appearances in the national championship game in 1998 and 1999. While the national title has proven to be elusive to San Jac under Arrington’s tutelage, Arrington and his staff have helped dozens of San Jacinto players find homes at the collegiate and professional levels. For him, it’s all part of his obligation as the team’s leader.

“It’s extremely gratifying to have quality athletes come in here and help us be what we believe is the premier junior college program in the country,” Arrington said. “First and foremost, they are getting a quality education and at the same time they are continuing to develop and showcase their skills to a point where they either move on to the Division I level on scholarship or sign professional contracts for large signing bonuses. I think we accomplish those three goals, including the education, as well as anyone in the nation.”

Arrington is confident the day will come when the national trophy again comes home to Houston. It will take skill, desire and some luck, but Arrington is committed to ensuring that current and future San Jacinto College players are placed in a great position to be successful.

“We have that desire to sustain our performance on the field, and with that hopefully comes a dominance of the region,” Arrington said. “With six trips (to the national tournament) in eight years, I think we’re doing that. That highly coveted first national championship for this group of coaches and the players is still in our sights. When it’s our year, it will be our year. I also believe that when we win one, we may win several after that. Our time is coming.”

With Arrington’s intense focus on the prize, there’s no reason to doubt his confidence. As a player, Arrington was intent on becoming the best he could be. His college career included two seasons at Texas A&M University, and he later pitched at the Single A level for the Montreal Expos and Triple A level for the Texas Rangers.

Arrington began his coaching career in 1991 at the College of Mateo.  Later came stops at San Francisco State University and College of Marin. In 2000, Arrington arrived in Houston as San Jac’s assistant coach, where he focused on the pitchers. Two seasons later, he was named head coach.

“We look at our program as one of the best in the country,” Arrington said. “We also have an obligation to make sure these young men get the best education possible. That’s simply a personal belief of mine. We have to prepare these guys for lifelong success, not just baseball success. They have to be able to deal with success or failure on and off the field. We live in a demanding society, so we make sure our players are prepared.”

The Mill Valley, California, native began his playing career at College of Marin where he was an all-conference selection. He then played two years at Texas A&M University where he earned two letters, was all-conference, and the Southwest Conference tournament most Valuable Player. He also earned the C.E. “Pat” Olsen MVP award. Arrington holds a master’s degree from San Francisco State University.

Arrington played professionally for the Triple A team of the Texas Rangers; in Guadalajara, Mexico; for the Salt Lake Trappers; and the Single A farm team of the Montreal Expos.

Guest baseball25
Well maybe they won't drop it next time when gilligan decides to go, but no doubt there are some good Guys out there but I really believe arrington will be at rice once Graham retires.

I like this guy and have for a while.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Louisiana head coach Tony Robichaux, one of the youngest head coaches in NCAA Division I history to reach 500 career victories, has been at the helm of the Ragin' Cajuns baseball program - which is arguably one of the best in the South - since 1995. Robichaux launched his head coaching career in 1987 at McNeese State.

Now in his third decade as a Division I head coach, Robichaux  reached career milestone victory No. 500 with a 12-5 win over Texas-Pan American on March 2, 2002, making him one of only eight coaches in NCAA history to achieve the milestone before his 41st birthday. The other names on the list include: Ron Fraser (Miami), Mark Marquess (Stanford), Jim Morris (Miami), Ron Polk (Mississippi State), Danny Price (FIU), Bobby Winkles (Arizona State) and Pat Murphy (Arizona State).

Entering the 2000 season, Robichaux was the only head coach younger than 41 years of age with at least 400 career victories.

In 2001, Robichaux was listed by Baseball America as one of the top 10 coaches of a mid-major program in the nation, who were younger than 40 years of age.

In the 2009 regular season finale at New Orleans, he earned his 800th career victory, joining an elite list of just 28 active NCAA Division I coaches with 800 or more lifetime wins.

"All of my wins come from two mid-major programs, and that's something to be proud of," Robichaux said. "But what's important to me is that the universities get the credit. So many of my assistant coaches and players got me to where I am."

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    cfbswami
    Newest Member
    cfbswami