DAYTON'S A.J. DUGAT KICKED OFF UH TEAM BY SUMLIN

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am glad that you all know exactly what happened and have found him guilty already.  I know for a fact that it has nothing to do with the bat or gun issue.  The statement that Sumlin put out is a generic statement put out by universities whenever an athlete makes a decision not to continue at the school.  If AJ stays at Houston then the report says transfer.  Since AJ made a decsion not to continue at Houston and he chose a different route then the school gets to put that they kicked him off for violating team policy and Sumlin gets to look like a disciplinarian.

Has AJ made a great decision, I do not believe so but it is one made and there will be consequences to that decision.  Have you all made great decisions in everything you do?  If so, by all means judge him, if not, get off the kid's butt and hope that he can find his way and make a better life.

[quote name="mikehoncho" post="766030" timestamp="1267076387"]
[quote author=HoopInsider_Cooper link=topic=66504.msg765920#msg765920 date=1267067284]
[font=Courier]Standout player??

Hope that was sarcastic Buc....I went to 5 home games. He didn't do much at all except waive fair catches on punts. They won't be missed.[/font]
[/quote]

really?  he was their top recruit, a parade all-american and blue chip athlete

he was expected to vie for a starting spot in the wide open spread at UH in '10...he learned the scheme in a secondary role and it was speculated he would have a 1000 yard season...

he was a true freshman...on a huge stage...it's impressive he knew when to call fair catch and actually catch it...

i'd say they had something invested in him, and he'll be missed

[quote]

Huge Stage?? U of H??  Maybe big stage, but I think the huge stages are in Austin, College Station, and Lubbock.  I hate to hear this about this kid.  He was an amazing player in HS.  I'm sure he is after a quick dollar, just like all the rappers told him he should be. 

I hope that all of the rumors around AJ are baseless.  But if they are not, what the heck is going on here?  It would be nice to know what actually happened here even though it's really none of my business.  I think the kid was probably promised the world while he was being recruited but got frustrated making the transition from all world in Dayton to barely getting in the game for the cougars. I know that ultimately the responsibility is his, but I wonder if he ever really had a chance academically at a university after being coddled in the classroom at DHS?

[quote name="HoopInsider_Cooper" post="765920" timestamp="1267067284"]

Hope that was sarcastic Buc....I went to 5 home games. He didn't do much at all except waive fair catches on punts. They won't be missed.[/font]
[/quote]

He was a true freshman I'd say any meaningful playtime puts him above most freshman

[quote name="Rebel4Christ" post="766254" timestamp="1267121534"]
[quote author=mikehoncho link=topic=66504.msg766030#msg766030 date=1267076387]
[quote author=HoopInsider_Cooper link=topic=66504.msg765920#msg765920 date=1267067284]

[/quote]

he was expected to vie for a starting spot in the wide open spread at UH in '10...he learned the scheme in a secondary role and it was speculated he would have a 1000 yard season...

he was a true freshman...on a huge stage...it's impressive he knew when to call fair catch and actually catch it...

[quote]

Huge Stage?? U of H??  Maybe big stage, but I think the huge stages are in Austin, College Station, and Lubbock.  I hate to hear this about this kid.  He was an amazing player in HS.  I'm sure he is after a quick dollar, just like all the rappers told him he should be. 
[/quote]

Your right every problem in Americacan be traced back to rap...I hear Obama got elected because of rap

[quote name="Bucof2010" post="766496" timestamp="1267138786"]
[quote author=Rebel4Christ link=topic=66504.msg766254#msg766254 date=1267121534]

[/quote]

[quote]

[/quote]

Your right every problem in Americacan be traced back to rap...I hear Obama got elected because of rap
[/quote]

Obama got elected because he is "well-spoken"(favorite characterization used by closet racists), i.e. "white-acting" see Colin Powell, Quincy Watts, Tiger Woods.  Come on guys, back on topic. Where the heck are you going with the quick dollar stuff?  Have you heard that the CFL is knocking or something?

[/quote]

[quote]

[/quote]
[/quote]
[/quote]

yeah...I'd say being in the AP top 25 for 11 of 14 weeks of the 2009 season, top 15 for 4 of those weeks would be a huge stage...granted they kind of came apart toward the end...but still, big wins w/ Ok State, [b]Texas Tech[/b] and Mississippi State (it's still SEC) was a tough season for a conf USA team...and almost won the conf title...

it's not the big 12 championship, but still...that's a huge stage...it's not Blinn we're talking about here (no offense)

yeah...rappers told him to do it...just like that dog told the son of sam to kill all those people, real classy...

Guest GCMPats
Cougars boot Dugat off team
From sports staff reports
Baytown Sun
Published February 26, 2010

The University of Houston announced Thursday that Cougar head football coach Kevin Sumlin has dismissed Dayton all-stater and Parade All-American A.J. Dugat from the team.

His high school coach wasn’t surprised by the news.

“The last time I talked to him he wasn’t happy and if you’re not happy, you need to go somewhere else,” Dayton coach Jerry Stewart said.

“I don’t think some of them were happy with him, either.”

Dugat, who could not be reached for comment Thursday, caught 14 passes for 170 yards and a touchdown and returned 19 punts for a 6.1-yard average last fall, his freshman season.

Sumlin did not specify Thursday the reasons he showed the door to Dugat and reserve offensive lineman Ari Tatum, a sophomore from Dacula, Ga.

“I’m sure he’s not innocent of everything,” Stewart said of Dugat, who led Dayton to a state runnerup finish in 2008. “He may have done some things wrong, but he wasn’t very happy with his position coach (former UH receiver Jason Phillips) and the coach wasn’t happy with him. And now that coach is the new offensive coordinator.

“I can’t say if A.J. wants to play football anymore. He needs to. I think he needs to step back and think about it. We’re supposed to talk this weekend.”

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Guest jhamilton
One thing about Coach Stewart is his honesty and being up front about everthing. Good luck to AJ bc happens pretty often bc sometimes kids are not a good fit at certain skews.

So what happened? I hear he was cutting classes and making poor grades (forgivable). Even not getting along with the coach is forgivable. But when a kid hits people with a bat and later on, a gun is pulled (if he indeed pulled one), then he loses my support. This is not something that can be condoned by saying he made bad choices. I'd feel this way about anyone.

So what is it? Did he pull a gun?

[/quote]

So where did you play college ball there Rebel?  Yes a D-1 scholarship is the big stage.  This was an example of everyone not being able to cut it at the D-1 level.  Happens to every D-1, every year, players get lost in the shuffle, players don't make it.

Seems like if there was good news about this player after 3 pages of posts someone would have come with the goods to state his side.

[quote name="mikehoncho" post="766743" timestamp="1267151572"]
[quote author=Rebel4Christ link=topic=66504.msg766254#msg766254 date=1267121534]

[/quote]

[quote]

[/quote]
[/quote]
[/quote]

yeah...I'd say being in the AP top 25 for 11 of 14 weeks of the 2009 season, top 15 for 4 of those weeks would be a huge stage...granted they kind of came apart toward the end...but still, big wins w/ Ok State, [b]Texas Tech[/b] and Mississippi State (it's still SEC) was a tough season for a conf USA team...and almost won the conf title...

it's not the big 12 championship, but still...that's a huge stage...it's not Blinn we're talking about here (no offense)

yeah...rappers told him to do it...just like that dog told the son of sam to kill all those people, real classy...
[/quote]

Blinn's not too bad.  Alot more successful too.  Last time I checked, they were winning national championships.  4 to be exact, with 2 of them being recent.  While Houston has talent and is D1, I honestly believe Blinn could give them a run for their money.  They didnt even win conference USA, which isn't exactly a powerhouse conference.

If I had a dollar for every dayton player that was on tip between the ages of sixteen and 22, I could buy a really nice bicycle.  Who cares what the crowd at the country kitchen thinks he did.  He should transfer to Nebraska and reunite.  Houston was a use it or lose it deal as far as his talent on the football field goes.

Bottom line AJ did not like Phillips, his position coach, who is now the OC.  Quit trying to make stuff up about him being released for other reasons.  He did not like it there, quit going to class, handled it wrong and now will have to fight to make his way back to Div. 1 football, if he wants to play again.  Being released for a bat and gun is not true. 

You wanted to know what happened, there it is in a nutshell.  A personality conflict that could not be resolved.  The kid will move forward despite what the people in Kountry Kitchen have to say about him.

[quote name="SETEXFan" post="766976" timestamp="1267187521"]
Bottom line AJ did not like Phillips, his position coach, who is now the OC.  Quit trying to make stuff up about him being released for other reasons.  He did not like it there, quit going to class, handled it wrong and now will have to fight to make his way back to Div. 1 football, if he wants to play again.  Being released for a bat and gun is not true. 

[b]You wanted to know what happened, there it is in a nutshell.  A personality conflict that could not be resolved. [/b] The kid will move forward despite what the people in Kountry Kitchen have to say about him.
[/quote]

And I suppose we are just to take your word on it. Yea right. ::)

There are three sides to every story. Side A, side B and usually somewhere in the middle, the truth. ;)

You can take my word for it or not, it really does not matter.  If you would rather listen to the conjecture and feel that makes a better coffee shop discussion then go ahead.  But I can assure you I know more of what is going on than anyone else on this board.

[quote name="AggiesAreWe" post="766981" timestamp="1267189503"]
[quote author=SETEXFan link=topic=66504.msg766976#msg766976 date=1267187521]

[b]You wanted to know what happened, there it is in a nutshell.  A personality conflict that could not be resolved. [/b] The kid will move forward despite what the people in Kountry Kitchen have to say about him.
[/quote]

And I suppose we are just to take your word on it. Yea right. ::)

There are three sides to every story. Side A, side B and usually somewhere in the middle, the truth. ;)
[/quote]