DAYTON'S A.J. DUGAT KICKED OFF UH TEAM BY SUMLIN

Sumlin kicks Dugat, Tatum off UH football team
By STEVE CAMPBELL Copyright 2010 Houston Chronicle
Feb. 24, 2010, 5:56PM
Reinhold Matay AP
A.J. Dugat from Dayton had 14 catches for 170 yards for the Cougars as a freshman.

Share  Print Share Del.icio.usDiggTwitterYahoo! BuzzFacebookStumbleUponUniversity of Houston football coach Kevin Sumlin has dismissed wide receiver A.J. Dugat and offensive lineman Ari Tatum from the team.

Sumlin announced the dismissals early Wednesday evening, citing “a violation of team policy.”

Dugat, a Parade All-American from Dayton, was the most high-profile member of the Cougars' 2009 recruiting class. As a freshman, he caught 14 passes for 170 yards, rushed once for 15 yards. He also filled in returning kickoffs and punts.

Tatum redshirted upon his arrival in 2008 and played sparingly this past season.

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

He would ook better in LU Red! ;D

With Tyrik Rollison transfering from Auburn to SHSU, it would be wild to see he and Dugat hooking upfor the next three years. Who would've thought watching that State Title Barnburner between Sulphur Springs and Dayton that thos two might play together someday? Food for thought!

I pray he figures things out very soon and wish him the knowlege to pursue his dreams whatever they are.Talented as a football player is not as important in life as having a career minded goal to reach for.Hope he makes better decisions and turns things around.

[quote name="SETXSPORTSJUNKIE" post="765900" timestamp="1267066551"]
Sad turn of events I just heard from a co-worker.  AJ was already on probation for hitting someone with a bat, so now pulling a gun on someone else didn't set to well with the university.  He might look better in Liberty County stripes, not LU RED!  Go Cardinals!!!!!!!!!
[/quote]

I had heard about the bat and gun, but was told it was just rumors and nothing had been confirmed, yet.

[quote name="HoopInsider_Cooper" post="765920" timestamp="1267067284"]
[font=Courier]Standout player??

Hope that was sarcastic Buc....I went to 5 home games. He didn't do much at all except waive fair catches on punts. They won't be missed.[/font]
[/quote]

really?  he was their top recruit, a parade all-american and blue chip athlete

he was expected to vie for a starting spot in the wide open spread at UH in '10...he learned the scheme in a secondary role and it was speculated he would have a 1000 yard season...

he was a true freshman...on a huge stage...it's impressive he knew when to call fair catch and actually catch it...

i'd say they had something invested in him, and he'll be missed

[quote name="mikehoncho" post="766030" timestamp="1267076387"]
[quote author=HoopInsider_Cooper link=topic=66504.msg765920#msg765920 date=1267067284]
[font=Courier]Standout player??

Hope that was sarcastic Buc....I went to 5 home games. He didn't do much at all except waive fair catches on punts. They won't be missed.[/font]
[/quote]

really?  he was their top recruit, a parade all-american and blue chip athlete

he was expected to vie for a starting spot in the wide open spread at UH in '10...he learned the scheme in a secondary role and it was speculated he would have a 1000 yard season...

he was a true freshman...on a huge stage...it's impressive he knew when to call fair catch and actually catch it...

i'd say they had something invested in him, and he'll be missed

[/quote]

no doubt.... I'll take 12+ yds a touch out of a true freshman. I hope the rumors are just rumors and AJ can find a way to continue playing.

Regardless, he still knows right from wrong and those players definetely know what the coaches and university expect from them, at all times.  Kids would kill to have that athletic ability and opportunity.  Hopefully he'll get it figured out because he has lot's of fans pulling for him.  As we all know, every community has that group of athletes that were should of, could of, would of's.....let's hope Dugat doesn't fall into this group.

[quote name="westend1" post="766124" timestamp="1267111327"]
I'm sure UH is disappointed, but not overly surprised.  It seems he had school issues before he ever enrolled.  They had to know that they were taking a chance on the kid.
[/quote]I think you are correct---A.J. is one that will either make to the NFL or wind up back in Dayton hanging around in front of Brookshire Brothers grocery talking about how good he was in High School-----------A.J. had better get it together or he is facing a long hard road. I hope this has gotten his attention and he turns it around.

One word.."BONEHEAD"...Any kid would kill for the opportunity given to him and a free education to boot.....Hope he gets his act together if not, there will be another "good" kid ready to fill the open slot.. Most of these kids have been pampered and coddled their entire lives becauese of their athletic ability. Welcome to the real world young man.

[quote name="FOOTBALLFEVER99" post="766140" timestamp="1267112924"]
One word.."BONEHEAD"...Any kid would kill for the opportunity given to him and a free education to boot.....Hope he gets his act together if not, there will be another "good" kid ready to fill the open slot.. Most of these kids have been pampered and coddled their entire lives becauese of their athletic ability. Welcome to the real world young man.
[/quote] ;D