Who is the best player ever from this area?

I guess you have to define if you are looking for the best while they were in SE Texas or what they have went on to once they left the right side of Texas.  McCain did make the WNBA but I think it was only for a year and scored 83 points more than Pennee in the WNBA careerwise (83-0) looking at WNBA stats.

If we are looking at what they accomplished during high school then you can also look at team success.  Any State Championships for final appearances for Silsbee during McCain's tenure?  *I think they made it to finals in her early years.  The late 80's HJ teams were awesome with Yathisha Bosha and the mid 80's Hardin teams with Charlotte Reescano were tough.  Both of these teams were fun.  Of course Silsbee may be the only team considered in SE Texas....sorry just had to.  

The good thing is that there are a good amount of players to pick from and more to come.  and on a side note, I would take Viverette over Hall, but injuries did limit her success.  "She was as good an athlete that has come out of the Texas high schools," said UT coach Jody Conradt, who has recruited the state heavily for 28 years.  (quote in '98)

You can make more money flippin burgers than you can make in the WNBA also.  In 98 I was talking to the Commits.  I was going to try out and was shocked when I was told how much I would probably make.  Overseas is where the money is at or was.  I haven't looked into all of that in a long time.  Well, since 98. 

If we are going to go by High School achievements then it's important to remember that Travesa Gant was the number 1 recruited player out of the state of Texas her Senior year.  It was a big deal that she signed with us at Lamar. 

Didn't Brandi and LaQuan play together for one season in Silsbee? I think Brandi was a freshman adn LaQuan a senior. Those two were just fantastic athletes. I remember Kim Albers pointing Brandi out to me when Brandi was still in junior high. Kim knew Brandi's ability before anyone else had even heard about her.
Those were some great basketball days in Silsbee.
Any consideration that Ang Green is among the best Southeast Texas has seen? Just because she decided to go to Lamar instead of a major D-I school doesn't make her any less an athlete. Plus ... I think she set a scoring record at Silsbee High School. Given the history of the program, that's pretty impressive.

Dang Bleed, I hope HillGuy doesn't take offense to that.

What about this Barbara Hickey from Orangefield, she played at Lamar, 4th leading scorer of all time there, got as far as the Elite 8..Barb do you still hold the record for the high jump at Lamar too?  ;)

[quote name="Bobcat05" post="752608" timestamp="1264992032"]

What about this Barbara Hickey from Orangefield, she played at Lamar, 4th leading scorer of all time there, got as far as the Elite 8..Barb do you still hold the record for the high jump at Lamar too?  ;)
[/quote]

Ha...no offense taken (but doubt Bleed has ever seen her play)...My DD will make her own mark...whatever it is.  Maybe if this thread lasts another 7 yrs or so, we'll see LOL

Thanks SportsJunkie, but its  a little early for this topic   ;D

You have to add B.Scott to this list. Yes I am a little partial, but she can flat out go. She did amazing things in her highschool career at WO-S, making it to the Regional Tourney 3 out of the 4 years she was there. With here senior year bieng the sweetest, she defeated a talented Silsbee squad single handed. She scored 61 pts that night to send the lady mustangs to the regional tourney. If she, in your opninion is not on the list, she will be soon. P.S. she's only averaging about 18.5 pts a game this season for the lady Coogs also.  ;)

[quote name="Bobcat05" post="752608" timestamp="1264992032"]

What about this Barbara Hickey from Orangefield, she played at Lamar, 4th leading scorer of all time there, got as far as the Elite 8..Barb do you still hold the record for the high jump at Lamar too?  ;)
[/quote]

No sir, I never did hold the record.  I did 6' 1/4.  Someone in the early 80's did 6'1" from what I understand.  Just for the record i'm number 5 on the leading scorer list :) Brittany Williams passed me up this year.  1. Jackson 2. Simms 3. Williams 4. Gant 5. Hickey .  The coolest thing about this list is that #'s 1, 4, and 5 played on the same team :)

I was blessed to be apart of such a great team. 

Guest bleed orange
I deleted it hill guy. Was just trying stir the pot and get this board going. My post was a little over the top. Sorry about that. ;D Did not know who the girl was.

[quote name="bleed orange" post="752713" timestamp="1265035690"]
I deleted it hill guy. Was just trying stir the pot and get this board going. My post was a little over the top. Sorry about that. ;D Did not know who the girl was.
[/quote]

No worries  8)  not enough pot-stirring on the GBB threads!

[quote name="The GOAT" post="755649" timestamp="1265396159"]
[quote author=future_coach link=topic=64960.msg748599#msg748599 date=1264276670]
tay tay from memorial went on to play for lsu
[/quote]Rashonta Leblanc- Allstate three years, played on LSU's National CHAMPIONSHIP team.
[/quote]
I remember "Tay Tay", but don't think LSU won a national championship in her 4 years playing there, matter of fact never??????

I was totally pulling for here all 4 of those years.

[edit] Women's Basketball
Main article: LSU Lady Tigers basketball
The LSU women's basketball team participates in the Southeastern Conference. They are currently coached by Van Chancellor.

National Champions (0)
Final Four Appearances (5): 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008
SEC Championships (3): 2005, 2006, 2008

[b]Brandi McCain [/b]

Naismith finalist (which honors the best women's basketball player in the country)

Career:
2001-2002: Florida University (NCAA)
Cleveland Rockers (WNBA)
2004-2005: Maccabi Ashdod (D1): 9 games: 12.2ppg, 3.2rpg, 4.1apg, 2.7spg, 2FGP: 38.3%, 3FGP: 40.5%
2005-2006: Maccabi Ashdod (Israel-D1, starting five): 18 games: Score-1(21.7ppg), 3.9rpg, Assists-1(6.5apg), 2.2spg, 2FGP: 46.1%, 3PT: 42.9%, FT: 84.4%, in Feb.'06 moved to Mann Filter Zaragoza (Spain-LFB): 7 games: 8.6ppg, 2.9rpg, 2.0apg, 2.7spg, 2FGP: 38.5%, 3PT: 27.3%, FT: 75.0%
2006 April: Los Angeles Sparks (WNBA) summer camp
2006-2007: Maccabi Ashdod (Israel-D1): 22 games: Score-4(20.5ppg), 4.1rpg, 3.5apg, Steals-2(2.8spg), 2FGP: 49.8%, 3PT: 42.7%, FT: 80.3%
2007-2008: Maccabi Ashdod (Israel-D1): 21 games: 17.9ppg, 2.4rpg, 3.6apg, 2.6spg, 2FGP: 45.9%, 3PT: 42.6%, FT: 73.2%
2008-2009: Elitzur Maclaren Holon (Israel-D1): DNP

Need I say more?

• 1 month later...
No other school in SETX has the women's basketball background that Silsbee has. Look at LaQuan Stallworth All American(La Tech), Brandi Mccain All American (Florida), Shadi Carter First Team All State (Lamar), Ang Green First Team All State (Lamar), Shondola Lockett All State, Rebecca Barnes All State, etc........... I know they have no titles but 4 trips to Austin isn't bad either!

• 7 months later...
[quote name="skyhcky" post="749339" timestamp="1264444631"]
I wonder if she is related to Yatisha Bosha from HJ.  Yatisha played in the late 80's and went to A&M I believe.  She was awesome.  The entire HJ team from 85-88 was incredible.  Jones, Bosha, Edwards, Brown etc.... Great team. 
[/quote]Yes, they are sisters. The Bosha sisters and Ramona Jones are 1st cousins. The current point guard for Ozen is Jones daughter and she is a good one.

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    yielder
    Newest Member
    yielder