Crosby QB.......

bluejay

November 2, 2009

Brian Perroni
AggieYell.com Recruiting Analyst

Though the state of Texas has become a hotbed for the quarterback position, the class of 2011 is seen as somewhat of a down year in the state for passers. However, there are a few top prospects that have already made their way onto college radars.

One of those is Crosby's Dominic Merka. The 6-foot-4, 215-pound Houston-area standout has been receiving interest from several schools already.

Crosby junior quarterback Dominic Merka attended Texas A&M's game this past Saturday.
"I've been hearing from pretty much the same schools since the start of the year," Merka said. "It's picked up a little from all of them since the season has gone on, though. (Texas) A&M is probably sending me the most stuff. I'm also hearing a lot from LSU, Kansas, TCU, Houston and some other schools here and there. Nobody has really said anything about offering yet."

This past weekend, the dual-threat passer made his way to College Station to take in the Aggies' victory over Iowa State.

"It went well," Merka said of the A&M game. "I had fun watching them play and stuff. They're a fun team to watch. They have a lot of young guys out there, too."

While in Aggieland, Merka had a chance to talk with his recruiter as well as a couple of other prospects that were in attendance.

"I talked to coach (Jim) Turner a little bit," he said. "He's my recruiting coach. We talked before the game about my season and everything.

"I got a chance to know a couple of the other recruits as well. There were two guys from St. Pius (cornerback Kolby Griffin and linebacker Kellen Jones) that were sitting in front of me. My family and their families were talking the whole time. They were real cool."

Merka has been to a game at one other school this season and has plans to take in another as well.

"I've also been to a Houston game," he said. "I went there to watch them play Texas Tech. That was a really good game. I had a lot of fun there too. It was a good experience. I'm going to try to make it to a TCU one this year as well."

He also was able to attend several camps this past summer. At A&M, he had a chance to work with quarterback coach Tom Rossley.

"I went to the quarterback camp at A&M this past summer," Merka said. "I got to work with coach Rossley on drills and stuff. We didn't really have one-on-time, but there was a group of guys that got to spend some time with him. I also went to a TCU one, an Oklahoma State one, a Houston one and a Baylor one."

While he has seen several campuses, Merka says it is much too early to name any top schools.

"I don't really have a favorite school where I really want to go right now," he said. "I just want a chance to play college football somewhere. I haven't grown up rooting for one team or anything like that."

Merka is a true dual-threat quarterback, running for 662 yards and six touchdowns on only 98 carries this year. In a win over Galena Park this past weekend, he rushed seven times for 168 yards and a touchdown. He feels his athleticism is a big benefit.

"I think I'm playing well this year," he said. "I'm more confident than last year. I've got better ball control and I can read situations a lot better with a year of experience.

"Most of my runs are designed runs. I think only one of my seven carries this past weekend was on a scramble. I think my speed and running ability are things that set me apart from other players. I think they're big assets."

[quote name="SLINGIT" post="697771" timestamp="1257433114"]
Saw the kid over the summer and he did not look very good. I talked to a guy the other day and he said he has improved consistently over the year.
My hats off to the staff at Crosby and to the kid for his hard work.

Keep Getting Better!
[/quote]

Sorry i found this funny... Apperently A&M, TCU, and UH thought he looked good...

Hes a Junior, and i can attest hes a great Guy (i've known him since he was like 12). Great head on his shoulders a wonderful mother very nice lady. and a good set of family values.

MERKA's  an all around guy, i really think hes bought into the QB has to lead by example.

He'll keep getting better, and play better.

now for Lee Corso
WATCHOUT! this kids gonna be really really good.

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    yielder
    Newest Member
    yielder