Village Creek Classic! Silsbee/Lumberton....Raiders Win 20-14/Comments

AggiesAreWe

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The fact that Silsbee lost really did not make me the most upset  >:(

It was the fact that I spent $6 to watch a game and the scoreboard is the worst in SETX

Half of it does not work and I could not even listen to the announcer with those Fisher Price speakers that apparently Lumberton thinks can project across the field to the visitor side

Lumberton please update your facility before you charge a $6 admission

Regardless though I thought Silsbee did a lot better job than everybody expected

There was no doubt in my mind that Silsbee had the best player on the field with Johnson but It really does not matter when he can throw a fast one a mile under pressure and nobody can catch it

Guys, you gotta admit, after the first half especially, I guarantee Jeremy Johnson will be a faster runner for the rest of the year. Our D really stepped up and came after him, that being said, the secondary does need to learn to stay with their assignment until the play ends or at least until the ball crosses the line of scrimmage. I saw them pull off their receivers when Jeremy dropped the snap and then once he recovered and got away from the initial pursuit, he hit a wide open receiver, that shouldn't have happened. Other than that, the Raiders played well I thought, looked to me like the game plan was to stay on the ground more, probably in case of rain, the passing game in the second half didn't seem to

Now I have to make a correction from a comment I made earlier this week. THE SILSBEE TIGERS HAVE ALWAYS BEEN THE SILSBEE TIGERS IN MY LIFETIME, what I was remembering was that when Chance-Loebs' Senior class went to Silsbee, Chance-Loebs' team was the Yellow Jackets. I was wrong, it's not the first time I've been wrong, just ask my ex  ::) and it probably won't be the last time I'm wrong.

Finally, here are the stats as posted on I-Preps:

Silsbee                        Lumberton

Total yards                          221                               233

First downs                           15                                 11

Rushes/Yds                        22/-42                           32/128

Average rush                      -1.91                                 4

Comp/Atts/Ints                 23/36/2                            5/9/1

Pass yards                           263                               105

Comp pct                           63.89                            55.56

Punts                                    2                                  4        This looks like they may have it backwards to me.

Punting Yards                        46                               120

Punting Average                    23                                 30

Fumbles/Lost                       2/0                                1/0

Penalties-yards                    0-0                                0-0       They need a new statistician, this is definitely wrong.

It was the fact that I spent $6 to watch a game and the scoreboard is the worst in SETX

Half of it does not work and I could not even listen to the announcer with those Fisher Price speakers that apparently Lumberton thinks can project across the field to the visitor side

Regardless though I thought Silsbee did a lot better job than everybody expected

There was no doubt in my mind that Silsbee had the best player on the field with Johnson but It really does not matter when he can throw a fast one a mile under pressure and nobody can catch it

I was very suprised with the scoreboard myself. It only had the time and score. It doesn't show down and distance, ball on yardline, and timeouts. We had a hard time trying to get the distances for first downs to give on our broadcast. Also, we thought Silsbee had some timeouts left at the end of the game but didn't know for sure because it wasn't available on the scoreboard. Made it tough for us in the booth.

Also, the clock operator wasn't the greatest. Had to reset the clock a few times last night.

I was very suprised with the scoreboard myself. It only had the time and score. It doesn't show down and distance, ball on yardline, and timeouts. We had a hard time trying to get the distances for first downs to give on our broadcast. Also, we thought Silsbee had some timeouts left at the end of the game but didn't know for sure because it wasn't available on the scoreboard. Made it tough for us in the booth.

Also, the clock operator wasn't the greatest. Had to reset the clock a few times last night.

My thoughts exactly ::)

Lumberton needs to address this issue

Scoreboard has been giving me fits for years. It's all there but, for whatever reason, no one seems to be manning all the buttons (ha). If it's a matter of needing someone to operate it, I doubt there would be a problem finding someone. If you're gonna play with the big boys, you should at least bring the right toys to the game. Look at Kville...small 2A school with a video screen. C'mon Lumberton. We can do better with our facility.

P.S. Not a scathing indictment of our facilities...Just a response to a comment by a Silsbee fan that was, like it or not, right on the money.

LOL, I was thinking the same thing about the score board and you're right about the speakers, although I thought there were still some on that side of the field from when it was the home side, never payed attention to that. Updating the speakers would not be that expensive compared to most things, a couple grand at the most. Just raise the ones we have and focus them more on the home side and add two smaller (today's' technology will compensate for the smaller size) ones on the visitors side, wiring is easy since you only need to bury the lines a few inches under the field, the grass would be back in a couple of week and if they ran it directly under a yard line you really wouldn't notice it. I'm beginning to wonder what abyss our tax dollars and the concessions and ticket prices go to, considering we have some of the lowest paid faculty in the area, Maybe we're secretly having to supplement BISD to pay their overpayed super.....hmmmmmmmmmm ??? ::)

I'm curious, maybe I should ask my brother. Before my dad retired from officiating, part of the team was a Timekeeper I think. I know he worked a few games doing that, I guess they don't do that anymore? Any refs on the forum that can answer this and I'm not referring to the backjudge who keeps the official time but too someone who actually sits in the booth and takes care of it.

I'm curious, maybe I should ask my brother. Before my dad retired from officiating, part of the team was a Timekeeper I think. I know he worked a few games doing that, I guess they don't do that anymore? Any refs on the forum that can answer this and I'm not referring to the backjudge who keeps the official time but too someone who actually sits in the booth and takes care of it.

I believe the clock is still run by an official. I know that is the way it is run at Silsbee, just the clock. The other part of the scorboard is run by a volunteer.

I have never been impressed with IPreps stats. I have kept stats for all 3 Silsbee games so far this year, and mine seem to match Silsbee's coaching staffs, but never IPreps.

I think I addressed this last season. I have been keeping stats for almost 15 years now, off and on, and I have never found any real consistency among the various outlets. In fact, when I first started covering high school sports I had a great deal of respect for stats/state records, etc. After only a couple of seasons, I began to look suspiciously at all stats. I've gone to great pains (to include bringing a spotter along to ensure accuracy) to make certain my stats are correct only to find that, many times, there is a great discrepancy among different statisticians at the same game. I have seen rushes attributed to the wrong player to such an extent that one player (Silsbee RB a few years ago) was slighted by about 50-yards (maybe more) on the night. It happens. I don't know why or how but it does and those numbers add up. Take away a few yards here and add a few there and a rb with 4,000 yards during his hs career may actually have 3,700 or 4,300, etc. Those yards can make the difference between being in the history books or not (not that being there matters to everyone but it does to some - that's why we keep stats/records, etc.).

I might add that I am sure I have made my share of mistakes to...not trying to imply that I am better than anyone else. I've seen others and sat with other writers, etc. at games who put the same amount of effort into it that I do and then debated with them over who was right at the end of the game. I guess we're just human and that's our biggest fault (ha). I will say, however, that I have been to games where some high school kid is in the press box keeping stats for his school. Most of them are probably sports fanatics and fully capable of doing a great job but I have watched many joke with their buddies, etc. (even stand in line at the concession stand on one occasion) while trying to keep stats and then watched as those stats were then handed off to local media at the end of a game and used as if they were truly accurate. That's when I see the biggest discrepancies and, before I accepted it as part of a non-perfect world, I cringed at what those mistakes might mean in the long run. Now...I just roll with the flow.

I think the reason the offense was looking to predictable was maybe the raiders were hoping to expose the Silsbee run defense just the way diboll did the week before, although it didn't go down that way. Maybe coach wanted to keep the ball on the ground so we could prevent turnovers and eat up the clock...I guess we will never know. I have seen the Raider offense do alot more creative plays then what I saw last night, it appears they only had a one page play book.

Now when silsbees comes out with 4 or 5 wide and the raider DB's are lining up 10-15 yards away from them just like we did against barbers hill and then our pass defense is exposed on the quick slants and people open in the flats ALL NIGHT LONG!! Get them DB's closer to the line, make a solid bump with the receiver and man up! District will eat us up if our secondary plays like that....and don't say they won't because we already have proof. Yea at times we manage to pull out an interception at times, but it is really a weak area that needs a little tweaking. The raiders front 7 again is terrific in stopping the run and pressuring the QB, at times Johnson was running for his life out there.

It wasn't a pretty win and we will take it anyway we can get it, but please work on coming up with something to defend those quick slants and the flats.

Oh and Ryan Hughes is a Beast!! That kid will take a hit and keep on truckin!

Now it's time to FIRE IT UP RAIDERS!!

Silsbee's young line has to gel at some point.  It is extremely porous right now.  JJ has little to no time.  His sheer athletic ability is all that is keeping Silsbee in these games.  There is no reason to be around the 15 yard line with 3rd and 1 and no be able to get the 1st on 2 tries.  The wrs are dropping some passing that are hitting their numbers and hands. 

Lumberton did what they needed to do to win however I can't say Lumberton is in the top of their district if last night's performance was their norm.

Not exactly, actually my son plays for Silsbee and the kid was blocking my son all night. 

Who are you trying to kid?

I know who you are, trust me.

BTW, I broadcast all of Silsbee's games, I know all the players. Yes, Silsbee has a player with the last name McDonald, but I know his dad very well and it ain't you.

I believe the clock is still run by an official. I know that is the way it is run at Silsbee, just the clock. The other part of the scorboard is run by a volunteer.

\

Some schools request clock operators/chain and down box guys and some don't Our problem is we are very short handed because not many people are willing to take the abuse we receive so unfortunately we cannot fill all request from schools. Two thirds of our new guys this year won't be back next year, that is proven over history. We have 16 varsity crews that work local high school games but we just don't have the numbers to fill all the clock,chain and down box assignments. Anybody want to join up?

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    yielder
    Newest Member
    yielder