BCLL

Bridge City had a fantastic run.  They have a very talented team.  It seemed to me they were in control of the game until Cardone came in for San Antonio.  BC had 2 guys on and I believe there were no outs and Cardone got out of it.

I was confused as to what the BC hitters were doing against Cardone.  It looked like they were all taking the first strike.  I just don't get that at all.  I understand taking a strike if the pitcher was a little wild but Cardone wasn't wild at all.  He would throw a fast ball right down the middle on the first pitch and BC took it every time.  Then he'd throw those curveballs.  The BC hitters were toast once he got ahead in the count so again, I don't understand why they were taking that first strike.

Anyway, it doesn't take away from a great year.  They were incredible!

Bridge City had a fantastic run.  They have a very talented team.  It seemed to me they were in control of the game until Cardone came in for San Antonio.  BC had 2 guys on and I believe there were no outs and Cardone got out of it.

I was confused as to what the BC hitters were doing against Cardone.  It looked like they were all taking the first strike.  I just don't get that at all.  I understand taking a strike if the pitcher was a little wild but Cardone wasn't wild at all.  He would throw a fast ball right down the middle on the first pitch and BC took it every time.  Then he'd throw those curveballs.  The BC hitters were toast once he got ahead in the count so again, I don't understand why they were taking that first strike.

Anyway, it doesn't take away from a great year.  They were incredible!

Guest tigersvoice

Bridge City had a fantastic run.  They have a very talented team.  It seemed to me they were in control of the game until Cardone came in for San Antonio.  BC had 2 guys on and I believe there were no outs and Cardone got out of it.

I was confused as to what the BC hitters were doing against Cardone.  It looked like they were all taking the first strike.  I just don't get that at all.  I understand taking a strike if the pitcher was a little wild but Cardone wasn't wild at all.  He would throw a fast ball right down the middle on the first pitch and BC took it every time.  Then he'd throw those curveballs.  The BC hitters were toast once he got ahead in the count so again, I don't understand why they were taking that first strike.

Anyway, it doesn't take away from a great year.  They were incredible!

I never understood why coaches tell hitters to take the first strike, especially good hitters. It's one thing if the pitcher is struggling or a weak batter is up. Most of the time the best pitch to hit is the first strike.

GOOD hitters can work their way back from an 0 and 1 count.  Weaker hitters might panic a little being behind in the count.  I'm with you though; after an inning or two and if the opposing pitcher is grooving that first pitch - jump all over it.  I think Biggio had the "Forever" green light to swing at the first pitch if he liked it.  His career worked out pretty good.

Well, you better be a good curveball hitter if you are going to allow yourself to get behind in the count.  Pitchers want to get ahead in the count and generally speaking they will throw a fast ball to get ahead in the count.  Many times that will be the best pitch a hitter will see in an at bat.

Guest gladiator2

That is a very true statement, I believe it takes the aggression out of some hitters. I hate taking the first strike unless a pitcher is wild. But evidently this is what they have done throughout their run and they did really well.

With the pitch counts at 85, taking pitches is a smart play sometimes.  If you can get the opposing pitcher to throw a lot of pitches in the first couple of innings, you might see more fastballs later on, when coaches are trying to preserve pitches.  At this level, you can't count on getting a fastball with pitch number 1 anyhow.  Seems like the kid was just as likely to lead off with a breaking pitch, which we all know is what better pitchers do as they mature.

I don't think ya'll were watching the first inning, they scored 4 runs on 8 pitches..those kids are always aggressive but their 12...didn't know you was still playing to take pitches..we are always better when our playing days are over & its always easier to do better when your not there

I don't think ya'll were watching the first inning, they scored 4 runs on 8 pitches..those kids are always aggressive but their 12...didn't know you was still playing to take pitches..we are always better when our playing days are over & its always easier to do better when your not there

Not sure what you are trying to say.  Their(they're) 12 so you can't take some pitches?    What does "our playing days" have to do with this?  It's a simple discussion on whether you should take some pitches or not, in little league, where pitch counts play a part.

Cardone came in to pitch in like the fourth inning, so pitch count wasn't a factor. He did a good job keeping BC hitters off balance. That should be the end of the discussion. BC had a great season and the entire area is proud of them. Congrats on a great season BC.

actually cardone came in in the 3rd. he pitched 3 2/3 innings. the only reason pitch count didn't come into play was that he threw mostly strikes. i don't think taking pitches or not taking pitches would have mattered much. the kid had one of those games where everything he threw did what he wanted it to. it looked like they were having a hard time picking the ball up with his long body and squatty (for a tall kid) pithing motion. the bottom line is, of course, that what this team did was an incredible accomplishment. their composure was great. there aren't a lot of kids....yes kids....that could keep it together like they did through the ups and downs they went through.

In most at-bats you will see at least 1 good pitch to hit. If you take until you get the first strike, that may have been your best pitch to hit. A batter should be looking for a specific pitch in a certain location and gear up for that until you get the first strike on you. If you are looking fastball kneehigh, that is the only things you swing at. You look for that pitch until you have a strike in the count. If you are looking fastball and you get a offspeed pitch, lay off. Kids should never be taught to take until you get a strike. Thats a LL thing. If they do that in high school, they will seldom be successful. My opinion.

If know those kids & coaches then you know they weren't taking a strike until the last inning so they could get baserunners...late in games you take until you get a strike when your chasing runs... not unless your little johnny's mom/dad who only care about what little johnny does, he can hit a homerun & the team loses 10-2 but johnny still hit that homerun that cut it to 8...the BC 12's are great example of a TEAM that's why they had the success they had...its a good model to follow

If know those kids & coaches then you know they weren't taking a strike until the last inning so they could get baserunners...late in games you take until you get a strike when your chasing runs... not unless your little johnny's mom/dad who only care about what little johnny does, he can hit a homerun & the team loses 10-2 but johnny still hit that homerun that cut it to 8...the BC 12's are great example of a TEAM that's why they had the success they had...its a good model to follow

like i said in a previous quote, i think that is one of the most outstanding traits that the team had to have. when these kids are playing under such pressure and they stay together instead of pointing fingers....that is spectacular at their age. they maintained their cool through the ups AND the downs. i've coached kids for quite a few years and even the best kids lose it at times, but this team really seemed to stick together. the better kids at this age are usually some of the first ones to show anger, etc when the going gets tough because they care more (or think they do) than the others. they really seemed like some poised kids on the field. i'm sure they're regular goofballs off the field like all boys at that age. again....congrats to bcll.

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    yielder
    Newest Member
    yielder