Jasper schedule one of the toughest in the state!

WOS87

I just noticed something....

Jasper has GOT to have one of the toughest schedules of any 3A team in the state this year as they are playing the following teams:

3ADownLow Rankings:

#2 Gilmer

#3 WO-S

#6 Carthage

#20 Silsbee

Texashsfootball Rankings:

#1 Gilmer

#3 WO-S

#4 Carthage

2A #4 Kirbyville

#10 Silsbee

#30 Rusk

DCTF Rankings:

#1 Gilmer

#2 Carthage

#3 WO-S

2A #4 Kirbyville

if Jasper can get the triple option clicking then they could be a team to be reckoned with, its hard to score points when your offense is standing on the sidelines, and the triple option is a great way to do that...3 yards and a cloud of dust (or turf pellets)

It's still dust in Jasper. We haven't graduated to rubber pellets yet.

if Jasper can get the triple option clicking then they could be a team to be reckoned with, its hard to score points when your offense is standing on the sidelines, and the triple option is a great way to do that...3 yards and a cloud of dust (or turf pellets)

true.  Jasper probably has scored TOO fast in some prior years.

but you win by scoring more points than the other team.  Remember the state team how many times did we score in 1, 2, or 3 play drives...alot. 

I also remember giving up 49 points against Gilmer and not being able to stop LH.  I like the idea of building our team around defense.

Agree completely. Jasper has always been a better all-around team when we could stop our opponents. There's not a more helpless feeling than watching a defense that can't stop anybody. You can't win consistently over the long term if you can't keep points off the board.

Go into Jasper's historical records from 1977 through 1996. Coach Walkoviak's teams always played good defense and he won close to 80% of his games there. Maybe I'm living in the past here, but he proved over the long haul that that kind of football works in Jasper. Look at Newton and WOS. They have won that way consistently for 30 years.

Guest Burkeville Chronicle

Try having Burkeville's schedule...first three games are against Timpson, Tenaha, and Joaquin...all three powerhouses in 1A.....going to be tough for the Mustangs. I BLEED BLUE AND WHITE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

but you win by scoring more points than the other team.  Remember the state team how many times did we score in 1, 2, or 3 play drives...alot. 

I also remember giving up 49 points against Gilmer and not being able to stop LH.  I like the idea of building our team around defense.

Agree completely. Jasper has always been a better all-around team when we could stop our opponents. There's not a more helpless feeling than watching a defense that can't stop anybody. You can't win consistently over the long term if you can't keep points off the board.

Go into Jasper's historical records from 1977 through 1996. Coach Walkoviak's teams always played good defense and he won close to 80% of his games there. Maybe I'm living in the past here, but he proved over the long haul that that kind of football works in Jasper. Look at Newton and WOS. They have won that way consistently for 30 years.

How far did we advance in the playoffs under walkoviak? Quarterfinals if you dont remember.  And that was great we were proud.  But lets face it we didnt scare anyone when it came to our offense.  My point is you must be able to score quick and often to be a serious contender. for example gilmer they are not 3 yards and a cloud of dust..and I bet we spend alot of time preparing our defense for their offense. I will take winning 50% of our games if we win the ones that count and IMO coach lauve new how to do that, hope we can get going again this year...

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    nilefa
    Newest Member
    nilefa