One UIL rule you would change about high school Football If You Could?

Guest Lions

They ask us every year (TASO officials) if we would like to suggest changes. Every year I suggest they ban all blocking below the waist. It's getting there slowly but surely. Along the same note, I got my new rule book last week. They now are good for 2 years. This year's rules are good for 2009 and 2010. The rules committee will not meet again until after the 2010 season.

The same way an offensive player cannot crack back below the waist against the grain of action, a defensive player should not be able to do it either when tackling someone.

See Blaine Irby's injury last year for a prime example of this.

Receiver catches ball, turns around and instantly a guy is flying right towards his knees.

It's a recipe for disaster.

And I don't want to hear about how that would wussify the game either.  There are already plenty of rules in place to determine legal ways for defensive players to make a tackle such as such as grabbing the facemask.

The same way an offensive player cannot crack back below the waist against the grain of action, a defensive player should not be able to do it either when tackling someone.

Receiver catches ball, turns around and instantly a guy is flying right towards his knees.

And I don't want to hear about how that would wussify the game either.  There are already plenty of rules in place to determine legal ways for defensive players to make a tackle such as such as grabbing the facemask.

You should suggest a touch-football league.

You should suggest a touch-football league.

Are you blood thirsty or what?  Protecting players from possible long-time or permanent injury doesn't mean suggesting  "touch-football".

Football is a violent game. If you don't like it, don't play.  I don't think anyone who has taken the game serious, has poured everything they have into the game and played with the passion that it takes to play this game will say that this rule should be put in place so that it will not be be as rough. As a player it would piss me off if a rule was put in that takes away from the original game. As I said, it is  a violent game... that is part of the beauty of it.   

There are pee wee, junior league, junior high, high school, junior college, small college, div.1,2, and 3 college, and pro games played all over the country in the fall under our current protective rules without incident. You can't add a rule everytime someone gets hurt. The type tackle on Irby happens every game 99.9% of the time without injury. Football is a physical game,if you play long enough you will at some point get injured. Face mask and things like that are dangerous those rules are needed. But most players know knee injuries are just part of the game. And if you start taking the physical aspect out of the game, it will lose its appeal to most players.

Are we playing football or Powder Puff football? No tackling below the waist, are to serious? Let's just play 7-on-7 rules! You really expect a 170 pound db to go head up with a 230 pound fb? Or better yet a 300 lb lineman coming to block you? Every player suited up going out on the field knows there's a possibly of an injury, if someone is afraid of that possibility they can listen to their mommys, that don't want them to play to start with because they are afraid their baby will get hurt, and go join the band!

I am a mommy and I say that barring below the knee hits would take away from the game.  Heck, the refs can barely keep up with calling the rules that are currently in place.  I honestly believe that 9 times out of 10...holding takes place on either side of the ball, but if you call every little infraction...it would be ridiculous.  I hate if for the unfortunate instances when players are hit, but I agree with the previous posters who said that they are in the minority.  It's not bloodthirsty, but it would definitely impact the game and I don't believe for the good.

Look guys, I already put my reply to the detractors in the first post, because I knew people would not be able to think outside the box enough.

I'm certain that people were complaining that we should make it a flag football league when they first started calling face mask penalties.  I'm sure there were some people complaining how we are wussying up the game when they came out with illegal crackback blocking.  I'm sure Deacon Jones was upset when they disallowed the headslap.

Who has ever said that they shouldn't let you tackle below the waist?

Just don't do it in a crackback situation, much like you don't block someone below the waist when you are coming back against the grain.

If you can't see why this might be a good idea, then I think you either are not thinking it through clearly and would need an example of it happening on the field to see how exposed the offensive player is....or you just like a good argument.

Are we playing football or Powder Puff football? No tackling below the waist, are to serious? Let's just play 7-on-7 rules! You really expect a 170 pound db to go head up with a 230 pound fb? Or better yet a 300 lb lineman coming to block you? Every player suited up going out on the field knows there's a possibly of an injury, if someone is afraid of that possibility they can listen to their mommys, that don't want them to play to start with because they are afraid their baby will get hurt, and go join the band!

LOL

Come on people.

I know yall are better than this.

Do you expect a little receiver to go head up on a defensive end when he has to block him?

Of course not, so let's bring back the crackback block then so everyone will be happy that it's full contact again and we can end some careers with knee injuries.

Every argument you make about the football game being contact and not wanting to turn it into 7 on 7 could be made concerning the facemask and crackback blocking rules, yet we still somehow manage to like the game with those rules in place.

You are better than this setx forum.

Wow....I think the game is fine....get on the field if you want more contact and see how you like it when a 6-5 310 lbs linemen knocks into the future for four quarters....

I was expecting more like.....we may as well put the whole freakin State in the play offs.....I think the top two teams from each district should get in.... this way we get great football...maybe realign and create a 6-A for those schools with 3,000 students or more....Can you imagine one high school in Beaumont?

panamamyers, So if we disagree with you we are either not thinking it out, not capable of thinking outside of the box, or just wrong. Well since your opinion is the only right one about rules, maybe the President can make you the Football Rules Czar!! ;D ;) 8)

and if a receiver doesn't want to get tackled below the waist when hes catching the ball, all he needs to do is drop his hands and not catch the ball and pay attention to where he is going.

Thats what seperates the good receivers from the great ones. The ability to catch the ball in traffic and make a big play.

Dont know if it is a UIL rule or District rule, but I would allow Head-to-Head matchups to decide District Championships when applicable.

District Rules. Each district does it differently.

I would think that this is actually a UIL rule since the playoffs start the week after the season ends, otherwise playoffs would have to wait another week which would give sole district champs the advantage of having an extra week of practice.

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    yielder
    Newest Member
    yielder