2009 Pinto All Star Tourney

• Replies 206
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Congratulations to Vidor for winning the Championship, they did a great job.  Special kudos to the Vidor 1st baseman for taking a bad hop right in the nose and then coming back in the next inning.

May the game go with out ill will,injury,unsportsmanlike conduct, but most of all, may  the best team WIN!!!

I did see some poor conduct from the TC coaches by telling their catcher to not present a target for the Orange pitcher.  After the Orange bats got hot he was instructed to keep his glove on the ground or on his knee and most all the balls went to the backstop, thus extending the game even longer. 

The TC coaches kept asking for a warning as they felt the Orange pitcher was communicating with the batters when in fact he was inquiring if the TC catcher was OK as he kept getting hit by pitches from not having his glove up.

Great job to all that worked the park, countless hours went into getting the field in shape and it was appreciated. 

Exactly how I and the TC coaches saw it.......STRATEGY!!!  Unfortunately luck was not on our side and the better team won.  However if you take a team that has been playing select together for months or years they will likely beat a team thaþ was put together 6 weeks ago........whoops with the exception of Vidor!!!!

Since my son was the catcher I do know he asked him if he was wearing a cup after a ball hit him near that spot. But he was also talking to the batters the umpire admitted as much to me when I asked him about it. the problem was the umpire was not clear on the rule, until the director told him no communication was allowed by the pitcher with the batter. As far as all the balls going to the backstop you must have been asleep through much of the game, even without a glove they at least knocked most of the pitches down. A few did get through, those must have been the ones you were awake for. Regardless of anything else the big difference was the Orange kids hit the ball great tonight and the TC kids didn't, that's how it goes sometimes.

I am a little lost here. I am assuming this is coach pitch therefore why an Orange pitcher is pitching to Orange batters. What I do not understand is why the TC catcher was instructed to not show a target. How is that strategy? Are there not any walks in coach pitch? If the catcher isn't prepared to catch the ball, isn't he running the risk of letting runners advance and eventually score?

Someone please enlighten me.

Exactly how I and the TC coaches saw it.......STRATEGY!!!  Unfortunately luck was not on our side and the better team won.  However if you take a team that has been playing select together for months or years they will likely beat a team thaþ was put together 6 weeks ago........whoops with the exception of Vidor!!!!

There is nothing wrong with them playing select together either. That is also good strategy. Let's keep the compliments as compliments and not slide any back handed ones in there.

I am a little lost here. I am assuming this is coach pitch therefore why an Orange pitcher is pitching to Orange batters. What I do not understand is why the TC catcher was instructed to not show a target. How is that strategy? Are there not any walks in coach pitch? If the catcher isn't prepared to catch the ball, isn't he running the risk of letting runners advance and eventually score?

No walks if that were the case the pitcher would just walk in 5 runs every inning and no one would win. Runners cannot advance unless the ball is hit.

No walks if that were the case the pitcher would just walk in 5 runs every inning and no one would win. Runners cannot advance unless the ball is hit.

Thanks for clearing that up. I am still a bit confused as to why the catcher was instructed to not show a target. How is that strategy?

No walks. They are on a pitch count. There are also no steals. The catcher has the option of squatting or standing as I remember it. If he squats and gives a target to the opposing coach to throw at then the coach is more likely to be able to throw better pitches for his team to hit. If he doesn't have a target which is an option then it's harder for most men to throw where they are trying to throw.

No walks. They are on a pitch count. There are also no steals. The catcher has the option of squatting or standing as I remember it. If he squats and gives a target to the opposing coach to throw at then the coach is more likely to be able to throw better pitches for his team to hit. If he doesn't have a target which is an option then it's harder for most men to throw where they are trying to throw.

I see. So we are just throwing out teaching the fundamentals of catching just to win. What is this league for, BTW?

I see. So we are just throwing out teaching the fundamentals of catching just to win. What is this league for, BTW?

That's typical from someone that's not involved. Catching drills are done at practice. There isn't a need for them in the game. Nothing is gained by having a kid block a ball in the game. The next level is when the kids start needing to block balls. Pinto for me was more about teaching hitting, running bases, fielding and throwing. It would be like teaching the kid to pitch when he doesn't pitch in the game. Should they work on pitching a little, sure when they have time but since it's not needed until the next year why not concentrate on what they need to learn this year?

That's typical from someone that's not involved. Catching drills are done at practice. There isn't a need for them in the game. Nothing is gained by having a kid block a ball in the game. The next level is when the kids start needing to block balls. Pinto for me was more about teaching hitting, running bases, fielding and throwing. It would be like teaching the kid to pitch when he doesn't pitch in the game. Should they work on pitching a little, sure when they have time but since it's not needed until the next year why not concentrate on what they need to learn this year?

I understand. Thanks for the enlightment.

This was for the PONY All Stars!!!  Orange, Vidor, Port Arthur, Groves and Twin County (Sour Lake). 

I was not knocking them for having played Select ball.  Just an advantage for them with being familiar with each other!!!

Also congrats to jake baker (TC) on the 3 run bomb he hit last night!!!

I will put my son's catching ability up against anyone else in the tournament. He had about 4-5 outs at the plate over the course of the tournament, and unlike the poster above implied he did block most of the balls pitched and caught quite a few. It wasn't a decision about fundamentals.

edit: Thanks TD.

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    TankParrish83
    Newest Member
    TankParrish83