Nederland Bond

I can get more than the county assessment. The insurance has the value 17,000 more than the tax appraisal. Market value lies between the two numbers.

The bottom line, vote yes or no! Most folks that vote no, its about the money. But if this fails, there will be another proposal, the needs to not go away. Higher taxes either way.

If busineesess move out because higher taxes so be it. where are they goingto go. Lumberton??? They have the highest taxes in SETX. Port Arthur, too much competition. Ask Primueaxs and others that moved out of Nederland to compete with the big populated towns/cities, they did not last long. Port Neches would be an option small town, but did'nt they just pass a multi million dollar bond!

After Saturday it will be behind us and we need to move forward, yes or no, we need to come together and help our biggest asset/businees (our schools) to be successful.

Lumberton doesn't have the highest taxes...I just looked at about three months ago. The law is written that each house has to be appraised of a minimum of 80% of fair market value. I wish the best for Nederland, I used to live there when I was little....uh ok...young. I haven't read the whole thread, but talked to some people today and they were upset over the Football field and the enormous cost, I'm not sure if many of you know some schools pay almost 100,000. a year for chemicals to treat the feilds. Not to mention the water it takes to water the grass, thats money too. The maint. cost are very high on a grass feild, but are very low with turf. Just wanted to pass that by you all, Good luck Nederland.

• Replies 578
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nederland City Council 1 -- 40 of 100 precincts reporting (40%)

Place 1

Ortiz 818 56% 

Bernard 650 44% 

Nederland City Council 3 -- 40 of 100 precincts reporting (40%)

Place 3

Albanese 959 60% 

Sonnier 635 40% 

Nederland ISD at large -- 40 of 100 precincts reporting (40%)

At Large (elect 3)

Sanderson 1,291 25% 

Branick 1,174 23% 

Bruney 994 19% 

Hawkins 750 14% 

Byrd 722 14% 

Atterbury 281 5% 

Nederland School Bond -- 40 of 100 precincts reporting (40%)

Against 2,092 81% 

For 501 19%

I think they need to restructure the bond and maybe it will pass next time.  During a major recession is probably not the right time to ask people for such a large tax increase.  I think we really needed the new schools but the people have spoken...

I think they need to restructure the bond and maybe it will pass next time.  During a major recession is probably not the right time to ask people for such a large tax increase.  I think we really needed the new schools but the people have spoken...

That's exactly what I was just thinking. Perhaps NISD should have proposed a smaller bond that just would have replaced the elementary schools. Start small and just take it one thing at a time.

we should start monday on new plan that will pass.

How much do you think the prospect of a merger with PAISD factored into these results?  If the recession was the reason, we should see similar failures of other bond issues across the state.  I'd be interested in seeing what percentage of those passed?  I guess - did those scare tactics overwhelm the other relevant information about the bond issue.

As for polling, the only one that counts is the one that happens on election day. 

Hopefully, Nederland ISD can regroup and get a proposal or proposals to the citizens for another vote really soon.

Nederland City Council 1 -- 40 of 100 precincts reporting (40%)

Place 1

Ortiz 818 56% 

Bernard 650 44% 

Nederland City Council 3 -- 40 of 100 precincts reporting (40%)

Place 3

Albanese 959 60% 

Sonnier 635 40% 

Nederland ISD at large -- 40 of 100 precincts reporting (40%)

At Large (elect 3)

Sanderson 1,291 25% 

Branick 1,174 23% 

Bruney 994 19% 

Hawkins 750 14% 

Byrd 722 14% 

Atterbury 281 5% 

Nederland School Bond -- 40 of 100 precincts reporting (40%)

Against 2,092 81% 

For 501 19%

Any chance that the remaining 60 precints that have not reported (as of the time of your post) can possibly swing the outcome?  Do we know what those precints are and their location??

I cannot believe it is so one-sided... :-[

It is the economy folks.....It just is not a good time to be asking people for money....I am in a district that REALLY needs to bond issue to work on the schools. I wouldn't dare ask the patrons of the district for any more money right now. This thing just wasn't thought through very well, and I guess once the wheels got rolling, they couldn't be stopped.

If I was in NISD, I would "patch and pray" for the next few years until the economy improves.

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    yielder
    Newest Member
    yielder