**LC-M at Bridge City Updates..1-0 BC Wins In 8!!**

Hicks, Encalade lift BC past LC-M

Gabe Pruett

The Orange Leader

BRIDGE CITY — If fans were not satisfied after leaving Cardinal Field Tuesday night, they may never be satisfied after a baseball game.

The Bridge City Cardinals and Little Cypress-Mauriceville Bears fought tooth-and-nail with Cardinals’ pinch-hitter Grant Encalade providing the game’s only hit, a game-winner.

For the second time in as many at bats, Encalade drove in the winning run as the Cardinals defeated the Bears 1-0.

Starting pitchers Dallas Brown for LC-M and Matt Hicks for Bridge City hurled no hitters.

Brown went six innings and struck out nine with three walks and no hits. Hicks tossed eight innings of no-hit baseball while striking out 16 batters and walking two.

Encalade, who had a game-winning double to win the Nederland Baseball Classic, came up with two outs and runners on first and second.

Joe Robertson was on second after walking and moved to second on a single from Luke Rhodes, the game’s only hit.

Encalade took a 1-0 pitch from Tim Barry into right field and was soon after mobbed by his teammates.

“I love it,†Encalade said. “I was more nervous during this at bat than in Nederland. I guess it was because the Bears are more of our rivals and I was coming off the bench this time.â€

Hicks only allowed two base runners the entire game and faced 26 batters.

“I have played baseball with those guys (LC-M) all my life and I know they are all great hitters,†Hicks said. “When you go into a game you expect to win but you don’t expect to no hit LC-M. It was really unexpected and I am really excited.â€

Brown was equally impressive on the mound before being taken out after 93 pitches.

Brown was able to get out of jams in the first, third and fifth innings.

Hicks made it to third in the bottom of the first but with two down, Brown struck out Dylan Mulhollan to end the threat.

The Cardinals then had two runners in scoring position in the bottom of the third before Brown struck out Luke Rhodes to once again keep the game scoreless.

The Cardinals then loaded the bases in the bottom of the fifth on two walks and a fielder’s choice.

For the third time in the game Brown used a strike out to keep the game tied.

The Bears lone serious threat came in the top of the third as LC-M pushed a runner to third on a walk and a sacrifice bunt.

Hicks used back-to-back strike outs to end the threat.

Shane Waddell walked in the top of the sixth to give LC-M its second base runner of the game.

Waddell stole second before Hicks had three consecutive strike outs to end the inning.

The Bears will return to action Thursday when they participate in the New Caney Tournament. The Cardinals are set to host the Cardinals Athletic Booster Club Classic.

Gabe, it was such a great game none of us can get it right.

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hicks, Encalade lift BC past LC-M

Gabe Pruett

The Orange Leader

BRIDGE CITY — If fans were not satisfied after leaving Cardinal Field Tuesday night, they may never be satisfied after a baseball game.

The Bridge City Cardinals and Little Cypress-Mauriceville Bears fought tooth-and-nail with Cardinals’ pinch-hitter Grant Encalade providing the game's second hit, a game-winner.

For the second time in as many at bats, Encalade drove in the winning run as the Cardinals defeated the Bears 1-0.

Starting pitchers Dallas Brown for LC-M and Matt Hicks for Bridge City hurled no hitters.

Brown went six innings and struck out nine with three walks and no hits. Hicks tossed eight innings of no-hit baseball while striking out 16 batters and walking two.

Encalade, who had a game-winning double to win the Nederland Baseball Classic, came up with two outs and runners on first and second.

Joe Robertson was on second after walking and moved to second on a single from Luke Rhodes, the game’s only hit.

Encalade took a 1-0 pitch from Tim Barry into right field and was soon after mobbed by his teammates.

“I love it,†Encalade said. “I was more nervous during this at bat than in Nederland. I guess it was because the Bears are more of our rivals and I was coming off the bench this time.â€

Hicks only allowed two base runners the entire game and faced 26 batters.

“I have played baseball with those guys (LC-M) all my life and I know they are all great hitters,†Hicks said. “When you go into a game you expect to win but you don’t expect to no hit LC-M. It was really unexpected and I am really excited.â€

Brown was equally impressive on the mound before being taken out after 93 pitches.

Brown was able to get out of jams in the first, third and fifth innings.

Hicks made it to third in the bottom of the first but with two down, Brown struck out Dylan Mulhollan to end the threat.

The Cardinals then had two runners in scoring position in the bottom of the third before Brown struck out Luke Rhodes to once again keep the game scoreless.

The Cardinals then loaded the bases in the bottom of the fifth on two walks and a fielder’s choice.

For the third time in the game Brown used a strike out to keep the game tied.

The Bears lone serious threat came in the top of the third as LC-M pushed a runner to third on a walk and a sacrifice bunt.

Hicks used back-to-back strike outs to end the threat.

Shane Waddell walked in the top of the sixth to give LC-M its second base runner of the game.

Waddell stole second before Hicks had three consecutive strike outs to end the inning.

The Bears will return to action Thursday when they participate in the New Caney Tournament. The Cardinals are set to host the Cardinals Athletic Booster Club Classic.

Gabe wasn't that Mason Dallas that stole second?

td I honestly could not see and did not put the name because I did not want to be incorrect. My eyes are worse than I once thought LOL. It is finally time for glasses

If it's when he stole second and they dropped the ball then it was. I think he may have gotten the second baseman with his cleats on accident. It was just a well played game all around and hated to see it end.

LHP, I'm not getting old - I'm in my prime

Prime? You never had a prime. ;) ;D

Oh, and you mean to tell me that these two storied baseball programs could only muster 1 run between them. Geesh! Glad I wasn't broadcasting this game, I would have needed those guys from the "Cheap Seats" to start talking about their social lives to keep the listening audience rivited. ::) ;D

(before anyone from BC and LCM jump on me, I am just giving ole Gabe a hard time) ;)

I'm gettin old Gabe. I hate to admit it but it's true.

I won't admit it, I have a full head of hair  :D

As for Aggies, don't you have a boring basketball game to get ready for? I really hate you don't see a great baseball game when you see one.

It was a fielder's choice. If Cloeren had thrown to first, I would have given it a hit if the runner had beat the throw.

wait what? infield hit by LC-M but Cloeren who play for LC-M didn't throw it to first? come on fellas lets get on the same page my head is hurting lol

I think TD got it backwards in his earlier post.  It was no no for Brown for 6 innings, then Barry for 7th no hits. then BC with 2 hits in 8th.

Yes they gave BC an infield hit in the 5th I think it was. I did have it backwards but I have now fixed it. Sorry for the confusion.  I would have scored it differently but that's not what was put on the board. I agree as far as I was concerned there were no hits on either side through 7 innings.

thanks td that was really confusing me  :D

This was the best game. If you missed it you really missed something. If you like good pitching that is. All three kids were great. This kind of game makes an old man think he still has one good inning left. Knowing good and well I can't bust a grape, it sure makes you want to get out there and try.  ;)

wow what a game  I was fortunate enough to have the best seat in the house, I was calling balls ans strikes  this game really recharged my batteries  and you BC/LCM fans made it better, two great fan bases  thanks for a great time

As for Aggies, don't you have a boring basketball game to get ready for? I really hate you don't see a great baseball game when you see one.

I have played in too many great baseball games. If you've seen one, you've seen them all. ;) ;D Besides,I didn't see this game.

But one can never see enough great basketball games. ;D (and I mean BOYS basketball games)

I have played in too many great baseball games. If you've seen one, you've seen them all. ;) ;D Besides,I didn't see this game.

But one can never see enough great basketball games. ;D (and I mean BOYS basketball games)

Yea yea yea. Call me when its over, Ill be covering the baseball tournament, giving props to the real sport.

Cards down LC-M 1-0, host CABC tournament

Big Red defeated the Class 4A LC-M Bears 1-0 in the eighth inning Tuesday evening. Cardinal junior pitcher Matt Hicks went the distance and then some for a complete no-hitter. Grant Encalade hit the game winning run- something Encalade has gotten good at

read more >

This is the hidden content, please

The all mighty bears need to snap out of it.

I know hicks is good....but dang a no hitter. Great job

We can always count on you, "UT" to put a negative spin on a great game.  I was glad to see the Bears play some great defense.  I would venture to say Hicks is probably the best pitcher they have seen (maybe even the best they will see) all season.  Nothing to hang their heads about.  This was a great game to watch, congrats to the Cards on this hard fought win.

Just to clarify the argument about the fielders choice/infield single.  There is no judgement call.  If the fielder chooses to make an attempt at a different base other than first there is no hit awarded.  Regardless of the out come of the play.  I have seen many infield hits lost because of this. As for the official book.  There is not one at highschool games.  I can promise you the guy in the press box keeping the score is not keeping a book. At most parks (not BC I know) it is a kid or someones dad who didn't mind sitting up there to watch the game.

As to the game wow.  Both teams showed up big time.  Atmoshpere was great. About as close to playoff type as you will get for this early in the year. Not really having a team to route for it was exiting just to watch every pitch.  Seemed like the game could have turned either way for 7+ innings.  Sure whish BC was still in 4A.  These two teams would be fun to watch play 2 out of 3 in about the regional finals.

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    TankParrish83
    Newest Member
    TankParrish83