**LC-M at Bridge City Updates..1-0 BC Wins In 8!!**

Just to clarify the argument about the fielders choice/infield single.  There is no judgement call.  If the fielder chooses to make an attempt at a different base other than first there is no hit awarded.  Regardless of the out come of the play.  I have seen many infield hits lost because of this. As for the official book.  There is not one at highschool games.  I can promise you the guy in the press box keeping the score is not keeping a book. At most parks (not BC I know) it is a kid or someones dad who didn't mind sitting up there to watch the game.

As to the game wow.  Both teams showed up big time.  Atmoshpere was great. About as close to playoff type as you will get for this early in the year. Not really having a team to route for it was exiting just to watch every pitch.  Seemed like the game could have turned either way for 7+ innings.  Sure whish BC was still in 4A.  These two teams would be fun to watch play 2 out of 3 in about the regional finals.

I wasn't aware of that rule. Thanks for clarifying. Not that I doubt you but before I spout information I think I will go look it up myself. Thanks for letting me know.

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I have been all over the internet looking for a clarification of the scoring rule.  There are several interpretations that can be found defending either side.  This came from the Major League Baseball rule book.  This is not meant to belabor the argument because Tuesday night's game was brilliantly pitched from both teams and it is all academic at this point.  Good luck to the Cardinals and Bears the rest of the season.

Directly from the rule book

10.05 Base Hits

A base hit is a statistic credited to a batter when such batter reaches base safely, as set forth in this Rule 10.05.

(a) The official scorer shall credit a batter with a base hit when:

(1) the batter reaches first base (or any succeeding base) safely on a fair ball that settles on the ground, that touches a fence before being touched by a fielder or that clears a fence;

(2) the batter reaches first base safely on a fair ball hit with such force, or so slowly, that any fielder attempting to make a play with the ball has no opportunity to do so;

Rule 10.05(a)(2) Comment: The official scorer shall credit a hit if the fielder attempting to handle the ball cannot make a play, even if such fielder deflects the ball from or cuts off another fielder who could have put out a runner.

(3) the batter reaches first base safely on a fair ball that takes an unnatural bounce so that a fielder cannot handle it with ordinary effort, or that touches the pitcher's plate or any base (including home plate) before being touched by a fielder and bounces so that a fielder cannot handle the ball with ordinary effort;

(4) the batter reaches first base safely on a fair ball that has not been touched by a fielder and that is in fair territory when the ball reaches the outfield, unless in the scorer's judgment the ball could have been handled with ordinary effort;

(5) a fair ball that has not been touched by a fielder touches a runner or an umpire, unless a runner is called out for having been touched by an Infield Fly, in which case the official scorer shall not score a hit; or

(6) a fielder unsuccessfully attempts to put out a preceding runner and, in the official scorer's judgment, the batter-runner would not have been put out at first base by ordinary effort.

Rule 10.05(a) Comment: In applying Rule 10.05(a), the official scorer shall always give the batter the benefit of the doubt. A safe course for the official scorer to follow is to score a hit when exceptionally good fielding of a ball fails to result in a putout.

(B) The official scorer shall not credit a base hit when a:

(1) runner is forced out by a batted ball, or would have been forced out except for a fielding error;

(2) batter apparently hits safely and a runner who is forced to advance by reason of the batter becoming a runner fails to touch the first base to which such runner is advancing and is called out on appeal. The official scorer shall charge the batter with a time at bat but no hit;

(3) pitcher, the catcher or any infielder handles a batted ball and puts out a preceding runner who is attempting to advance one base or to return to his original base, or would have put out such runner with ordinary effort except for a fielding error. The official scorer shall charge the batter with a time at bat but no hit;

(4) fielder fails in an attempt to put out a preceding runner and, in the scorer's judgment, the batter-runner could have been put out at first base; or

Rule 10.05(B) Comment: Rule 10.05(B) shall not apply if the fielder merely looks toward or feints toward another base before attempting to make the putout at first base.

(5) runner is called out for interference with a fielder attempting to field a batted ball, unless in the scorer's judgment the batter-runner would have been safe had the interference not occurred

I have been all over the internet looking for a clarification of the scoring rule.  There are several interpretations that can be found defending either side.  This came from the Major League Baseball rule book.  This is not meant to belabor the argument because Tuesday night's game was brilliantly pitched from both teams and it is all academic at this point.  Good luck to the Cardinals and Bears the rest of the season.

Directly from the rule book

10.05 Base Hits

A base hit is a statistic credited to a batter when such batter reaches base safely, as set forth in this Rule 10.05.

(a) The official scorer shall credit a batter with a base hit when:

(1) the batter reaches first base (or any succeeding base) safely on a fair ball that settles on the ground, that touches a fence before being touched by a fielder or that clears a fence;

(2) the batter reaches first base safely on a fair ball hit with such force, or so slowly, that any fielder attempting to make a play with the ball has no opportunity to do so;

Rule 10.05(a)(2) Comment: The official scorer shall credit a hit if the fielder attempting to handle the ball cannot make a play, even if such fielder deflects the ball from or cuts off another fielder who could have put out a runner.

(3) the batter reaches first base safely on a fair ball that takes an unnatural bounce so that a fielder cannot handle it with ordinary effort, or that touches the pitcher's plate or any base (including home plate) before being touched by a fielder and bounces so that a fielder cannot handle the ball with ordinary effort;

(4) the batter reaches first base safely on a fair ball that has not been touched by a fielder and that is in fair territory when the ball reaches the outfield, unless in the scorer's judgment the ball could have been handled with ordinary effort;

(5) a fair ball that has not been touched by a fielder touches a runner or an umpire, unless a runner is called out for having been touched by an Infield Fly, in which case the official scorer shall not score a hit; or

(6) a fielder unsuccessfully attempts to put out a preceding runner and, in the official scorer's judgment, the batter-runner would not have been put out at first base by ordinary effort.

Rule 10.05(a) Comment: In applying Rule 10.05(a), the official scorer shall always give the batter the benefit of the doubt. A safe course for the official scorer to follow is to score a hit when exceptionally good fielding of a ball fails to result in a putout.

(B) The official scorer shall not credit a base hit when a:

(1) runner is forced out by a batted ball, or would have been forced out except for a fielding error;

(2) batter apparently hits safely and a runner who is forced to advance by reason of the batter becoming a runner fails to touch the first base to which such runner is advancing and is called out on appeal. The official scorer shall charge the batter with a time at bat but no hit;

(3) pitcher, the catcher or any infielder handles a batted ball and puts out a preceding runner who is attempting to advance one base or to return to his original base, or would have put out such runner with ordinary effort except for a fielding error. The official scorer shall charge the batter with a time at bat but no hit;

(4) fielder fails in an attempt to put out a preceding runner and, in the scorer's judgment, the batter-runner could have been put out at first base; or

Rule 10.05(B) Comment: Rule 10.05(B) shall not apply if the fielder merely looks toward or feints toward another base before attempting to make the putout at first base.

(5) runner is called out for interference with a fielder attempting to field a batted ball, unless in the scorer's judgment the batter-runner would have been safe had the interference not occurred

Visited with an umpire last night and he knew exactly what I was talking about and agreed as soon as the fielder tries to make an out at another base it negates the base hit regardless if the out could or could not have been made at first base. It becomes a fielder's choice and there is no judgement call at all.

This is baloney.... The defensive player could in no way make the play to first place and even could not make the out at second.  It was a well hit ball that you would have had to have had a 140 mph long-distance arm to even have a chance to get the runner crossing first base.  The JUDGEMENT call by the seasoned bookkeeper was right on...BC had three hits against LCM and the third hit was a correct judgement call up in the field box!  LCM had a hit recorded against them in regular seven innings(in the 5th inning).  The judgement call overwhelmingly stands as correct!

Congrats to both teams on a great game.

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    kofajas476
    Newest Member
    kofajas476