Rivalries!!

ST413

Guest DickVitale

Not much response here. So lets ask if there is any district statewide that has had as muh success over the last few years(by more than just one team)?  I mean we have had three teams in Austin in 3 years.

You SE Texans need to get out more! Are you serious? :o....HOUSTON YATES/WHEATLEY rivalry goes back to the 1940's!!...This little Silsbee/HJ deal JUST got going when Silsbee went 3A in 2002-03. How about Dallas Lincoln/Dallas Kimball...You cannot compare DUKE and UNC to Silsbee-HJ!! WOW....There are BIGGER and LONGER LIVED rivalries in the state of Texas.  ::)...wow.

Not much response here. So lets ask if there is any district statewide that has had as muh success over the last few years(by more than just one team)?  I mean we have had three teams in Austin in 3 years.

You SE Texans need to get out more! Are you serious? :o....HOUSTON YATES/WHEATLEY rivalry goes back to the 1940's!!...This little Silsbee/HJ deal JUST got going when Silsbee went 3A in 2002-03. How about Dallas Lincoln/Dallas Kimball...You cannot compare DUKE and UNC to Silsbee-HJ!! WOW....There are BIGGER and LONGER LIVED rivalries in the state of Texas.  ::)...wow.

Yes Yate Wheatly is a BIG one... SOC/Lincoln in Dallas.  Duncanville/Desoto in Dallas. SA Masidon and SA Jay.  Waltrip/Wheatly.  It is some deep routed ones out there with teams that are in the State top 20 team annually!  Even Ozen vs. Houston has become bigger!

Not to step on any toes, but this is a "HOMER" topic. Of course, if you're only familiar with SE Texas, you're going to say that HJ/Silsbee is the biggest rivalry because you're only exposed to SE Texas. Now, I do agree that HJ/Silsbee is the biggest rivalry, but for SE Texas ONLY. There are dozens of other rivalries in the state of Texas that we cannot possibly even know about. The few I know of right off hand are Dallas Carter/Dallas Kimball, Dallas Lincoln/Dallas Kimball, SOC/Dallas Lincoln, FW Dunbar/FW Everman, Houston Yates/Houston Wheatley, CyFair/Cy-Falls (there are others). The point I'm trying to make is that we can't know about other rivalries because we're not exposed to them, but Silsbee/HJ is the biggest rivalry, for SE Texas.

Guest DickVitale

Yeah but if you asked this question two seasons ago, people in SE Texas would have argued that it was Kountze/EC!! Those were some great games as well..True rivalries survive the test of time...Silsbee/HJ will die down just as Kountze/East Chambers has...THATS my point. ;)

Yeah but if you asked this question two seasons ago, people in SE Texas would have argued that it was Kountze/EC!! Those were some great games as well..True rivalries survive the test of time...Silsbee/HJ will die down just as Kountze/East Chambers has...THATS my point. ;)

I hear ya Dickie...whose to say, the next realignment Silsbee vs HJ may die down as well.

Bring Back Silsbee vs Bmt Hebert..now that was a rivalry :)

Guest DickVitale

I hear ya Dickie...whose to say, the next realignment Silsbee vs HJ may die down as well.

YES! Those are the ones that I am talking about TD! Old school rivalries that withstood many, many players and in some instances coaches as well...Fly by night rivalries, while entertaining, are not the same until they last through the tests of time!!

Why is it so hard for you guys to see that they are referring to recent rivalries???????  Who cares about Hebert some 25-30 years ago. 

I guess we can't talk about the past now ::)

That means you can not talk about HJ 3 state titles that was in the past as well. ;D

I will admit that I am very fond of the Silsbee/Hebert rivalry. That was in my playing days. But, that rivalry was very short lived as it only lasted 6 years. Hebert did not start playing Silsbee in basketball until '77 and it ended in '82 because the next year Hebert became West Brook. So it shouldn't be considered a long time rival no more so than Silsbee and HJ. But, it was definetly a spirited rival just as well as the Silsbee/HJ rival.

Guest DickVitale

Why is it so hard for you guys to see that they are referring to recent rivalries???????  Who cares about Hebert some 25-30 years ago. 

Because THATS what a TRUE rivalry is, man!! One that goes on through generations of teams and players! TRUE RIVALRY...HJ-Silsbee is a really good RECENT rivalry, yes, but so was Kountze and East Chambers....It died....NOt saying that HJ-Silsbee will but it has not proven to be a historic rivalry just yet...Only TIME will determine that.

That means you can not talk about HJ 3 state titles that was in the past as well. ;D

NO....................HJ can be talked about future, current and past at anytime on this board!!!!! :D :D :D :D

NO....................HJ can be talked about future, current and past at anytime on this board!!!!! :D :D :D :D

I knew the rumor was true. This forum was started by H-J  peeps.

Ok guys there are a lot of legitimate points made here but my question was of current rivalries with a success level of  what these two teams have or better. the Dallas rivalries are legitimate contenders and the an Antonio one may be as well. I have seen some of the Dallas teams success not familiar with those of SA.  But have any of these met in the regional finals for two straight years possibly about to be a third like HJ Silsbee.  It is a question not trying to create an argument.

I knew the rumor was true. This forum was started by H-J  peeps.

No, by a Silsbee fan actually!

Guest stevenash

Wasn't wanting past rivalries.. If I had i would have mentioned some of these HJ-Kountze, Kountze-EC, silsbee-Hebert, Silsbee-Lincoln for a few wanted CURRENT!!

I know this has been discussed some before but if Silsbee and H-J meet in the regional finals,  is there any better current basketball rivalry any where in the state?

May I respectfully stress the subject matter of the above questions?  He did NOT ask who had the longest running rivalry.  He did  NOT prequalfiy with the fact that the current rivalry must have been going on for a certain length of time, etc. etc. etc.  So no, the people on this board  DO NOT need to get out more. (especially in some places that would be considered getting out) He simply asked about this area and those who are trying to make the subject matter about themselves (aka " I know more and therefore you are less worthy than me") appear less enlightened as you struggle to find a way to make YOU the subject instead of the question he posed.  What also makes this rivalry interesting is the fact that the district in which they play just might have a rep in the final four for the fourth straight year which is a pretty good feat regardless of where you live or what classification you are in and how often or how little you "get out".

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    monebi
    Newest Member
    monebi