PNGISD to file with Attorney General

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Once again, as an employee than works on the taxpayer dollar, I think the public has a right to know

Since the taxpayers are bailing out everyone in this economy, do I need to know Philpott's applicant list for their next General Manager or my local bank's president salary. Since the media is even asking for bailout funds, should we file an FOI to uncle larry at kfdm for his applicant list for his sports department.

You're missing the point. No argument here, just discussion. I totally understand about not knowing how to run an athletic program but whether you wish to know who is in charge of the kids or not, you still have the unalienable right to know. You have at your fingertips the power to know if a teacher is arrested for whatever. Say, God forbid, shoplifting or whatever. Would you feel comfortable having that person in the classroom? As a society we hold teachers, police,doctors, and clergy to a higher standard than any other profession. Same with elected officials. We have that right to know.Of course I do know the Board will weed out those undesirable characters. We have all heard of the Six Degrees of Seperation so somebody in that community knows somebody else in a community where one of the applicants is from. There may be some unwanted baggage that is fixed to one of the applicants. Some of that baggage doesn't go on a resume or shows up in an interview i.e being a hothead or not a motivator, etc. That's where the citizen's voice should be heard. I applaud LCM for doing what they are doing....it's good on two fronts. First, if the AD doesn't work out then the Board can say that they listened to the community so don't blame us and secondly, if your input is solicited then a bigger sense of ownership is instilled to the people of the community.    All I am saying is this, if you exercise that right or not is your perogative. I would like to exercise it because it is my right and I choose to do so. I don't want somebody else speaking for me when it comes to what has been endowed on me by the founders of this country. As for the comment about somebody showing up at my job and telling me how to do it,that's just comparing apples to oranges. Every high school coach is second guessed in the stands. You've heard it plenty of times. People can openly criticize because it is their right and they can do so without fear because they pay their taxes. As far as media bashing goes, everybody has to blame somebody so I guess Uncle Larry is an easy target because everybody has seen or heard him. I don't buy into the whole "media this " or "media that". I've seen plenty of stories blown WAY out of proportion but trust me, this area is tame compared to that big city 80 miles west on I 10. Finally, admin, I couldn't be more happier with our AD , too! We're neighbors.

Once again, as an employee than works on the taxpayer dollar, I think the public has a right to know

Since the taxpayers are bailing out everyone in this economy, do I need to know Philpott's applicant list for their next General Manager or my local bank's president salary. Since the media is even asking for bailout funds, should we file an FOI to uncle larry at kfdm for his applicant list for his sports department.

If the government bails out the media outlets then you certainly have that right to ask for one. If its a privately held corporation, as all the networks and media companies are, then , no, you do not have that right to ask for a FOI.......FREEDOM of information.

I have read this discussion with interest.  The amazing thing is the vast majority of people could care less who the coach is at any school.  I am sure the sponsors of the bill that made FOI law were not even thinking of sports or schools.  The bill was intended to stop gov. officals from taking money under the table to award contracts.

I have read this discussion with interest.  The amazing thing is the vast majority of people could care less who the coach is at any school.  I am sure the sponsors of the bill that made FOI law were not even thinking of sports or schools.  The bill was intended to stop gov. officals from taking money under the table to award contracts.

It also was to keep crooks from going into the government business to start, and yes, schools where in their thinking when the law was written.

I think you would be surprised at the people who care. It is probably more than you think. You can rest assure at the barber shops, the break rooms at work, the coffee shops it is a topic of conversation. Heck, I have been in Sunday School classes in which the main topic was the football program, not Paul's letter to Galatia that Sunday...

The law was written for the expressed purpose of "keeping what is behind closed doors, remains behind closed doors' out of government. There is a loop hole called "executive session" that must be followed as per Robert's Rules Of Parliamentary Procedure. The law was written and passed as a tag-along to the "Open Meetings Act". I'm positive financial gain was a motivating factor for the original author of the bill but it includes "any and all public information that is deemed of interest by the citizens". This is definitely 'of interest'.

No the same thing.  Stay focused.

What's funny is it takes a minimum of 45 days for the AG to give an official opinion, which that time they will have already hired....

Guess what...Even if I get the list next year, it will be released.

No disrespect Coop, but what would be the point?

I agree, what would that accomplish?

I'm with you admin, I would be surprised if there is a Nederland coach that applied.

There is  definitely a Nederland assistant that applied. We can't blame a man who wants to advance his career with an AD title.

i've never said that a nederland coach hasn't applied, i was disputing the "nederland bulldogs" username

I'm with you admin, I would be surprised if there is a Nederland coach that applied.

There is  definitely a Nederland assistant that applied. We can't blame a man who wants to advance his career with an AD title.

i've never said that a nederland coach hasn't applied, i was disputing the "nederland bulldogs" username

point taken! I am in total agreement. This definitely has been an interesting thread. Thank God for intelligent people and mature debate. Now, when is the first home game?

Admin, I believe you and I are on the same page here. ;)

I guess will have to start calling him Syble. ;D

What's funny is it takes a minimum of 45 days for the AG to give an official opinion, which that time they will have already hired....

It would allow constituents to form opinions of the quality of the hire. For example, if a hired coach is one that, in a reasonable opinion, would have been judged inferior to several other names on the list, the constituents would be able to say "hmmmmmmmm" and take that into account in the voting booth in the next election. 

It would allow constituents to form opinions of the quality of the hire. For example, if a hired coach is one that, in a reasonable opinion, would have been judged inferior to several other names on the list, the constituents would be able to say "hmmmmmmmm" and take that into account in the voting booth in the next election. 

Voters can and will form their opinions after the coach is hire in respect to voting.  The list will serve no purpose in this respect.

I keep seeing phrases like " I don't have a dog in this hunt"  throughout this thread.  I don't get it.  What we are talking about is the freedom of information act.  Right?? How that is interpreted by something as important to us all as a school district, has an impact on all of us whether we are from PNG or not.  Having said that.  I don't understand what would be accomplished by publishing the list.  Do we really believe that we the fans would have any say about who the school hires?  The worst we could do would be to not vote for the board members next election and that would be a little to late.

I need to restate:

It would be a surprise to me if any Nederland graduates who are now on Nederland's coaching staff applied.  Great if they did, great if they didn't. IMO it would be very hard to switch to the purple and white. JMO

THE SCHOOL BOARD IS RUNNING THIS SHOW, NOT YOU PEOPLE ON THE INTERNET. GET USE TO IT. THE SCHOOL BOARD WILL DO THE RIGHT THING AT THE RIGHT TIME. THERE IS REASONS WHY THEY DO WHAT THEY DO. THE PEOPLE ELECTED THEM TO DO THE JOB SO LET THEM DO IT.

IF YOU JUST HAVE TO HAVE A LITTLE INFORMATION ABOUT THE NEXT PNG COACH I WILL DISCLOSE THIS; ALL THE APPLICANTS WERE MEN.

From Beaumont Enterprise

Under Section 552.304(a) of the Texas Public Information Act, PN-G ISD should be required to release this information. But they're stalling. So we ask you, gentle readers, to get involved. Any letter you send does not need to be elaborate or detailed. The AG is clear on the law; the issues worth underscoring here are the high level of interest in the information and the accountability of an elected body. If you don't, these school boards will just continue to snow the general public -- using your tax dollars to do whatever they want. Sound familiar?

Just remember, citizen journalists: if you submit a comment, please copy the school district (the contact info is on the above letter), as required by 552.304(B).

Give 'em hell. They deserve it.

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    SVD Beaumont
    Newest Member
    SVD Beaumont

• Where were the 8 Omaha teams in D1's preseason top 25 poll... 2. Florida 8. A&M 9. Tennessee 13. N.C.State 14. Virginia 15. North Carolina Kentucky - unranked Florida State - unranked
    • That TDS is really flaring. Now do Biden. You have way, way, way more material. And keep that bitter "you are better than me" jealousy tone you have with Trump. You know Biden, the one you want everyone to vote for instead of Trump. Somehow you didn't acknowledge my pleas for you to die a painful death. I was quite certain that is how you would have interpreted my previous post. I guess when your focus is Trump 24/7, nothing else matters.
    • I have a better one. The point that nobody wants to acknowledge is that Dems are crossing over to vote Trump in the primaries and in the general so he will win the presidency. That way Trump will get the blame when the Dems implement their sinister plan to deport all of the minorities in the country. They have already laid the groundwork...convincing everyone that Trump and Republicans are racist (without providing any proof). Then it will be just a matter of time to execute their White supremacy plan of the great purge of the dirty, unwashed, heathen, non-Whites that roam freely in this country. I think my theory is more viable than your theory. Maybe we can get some other ridiculous scenarios so we can start a poll.
    • But that’s what Trump’s fanboys don’t understand.  When he talked about sexually assaulting women, y’all laughed it off as “locker room talk.”  When it was proven that he raped E. Jean Carroll, you cried that it was all an injustice… a lie. Even though he’d already confessed to doing the same thing to other women.  John McCain has suffered and sacrificed more for his country than practically anybody, except possible gold star families… and Trump called him a loser or something to that effect. “Oh, it was a joke that no one was supposed to take seriously.” But when Trump, after disrespecting the sacrifices of one of our most valiant, y’all are like “just because Trump didn’t go to Omaha Beach doesn’t mean he isn’t pro military!” Really? All you have to do is listen to what he said about McCain’s service. Not McCain as an opponent, not McCain’s political views… about the fact that the man was tortured, probably raped, and who knows what all else for over five years for swearing an oath and putting on the uniform.  But all of y’all supposedly “pro military” people just laughed along with Trump. “Good one, Sir! Maverick my new-hind! Filthy Rino!”  I don’t understand how the same people (y’all) who probably always say “thank you for your service” to any veteran still support a guy who craps on the ones who suffered the most on our behalf.  It’s baffling. 
    • Wow. Do you actually believe your little scenario has any chance of alleviating you of your moral immaturity? Deflection at it's best...or worse. You seem to be a sad case. If you died today, I would be remiss if not attributing your cause of death to severe TDS, and of course, Covid. Look at that. I just made a joke about your death. You did not get offended. Nobody was offended. Not one person will accuse me of being hateful towards fellow human beings. But yet, you hate Trump because he made a similar crude comment about McCain. You tried to attribute that comment as evidence Trump hates the military. What grade level of schoolchildren do you think is laughing at you for that "less that adolescent" (hint, hint) comment. You used one crude comment in an attempt to justify your TDS. Now, when called on it, you try to deflect the whole topic. You are certainly not having any fun with this, but you sure are providing entertainment for the board. It's a shame you can't join in on the fun. I think even Big Girl might be to the point of giggling at the shamelessness you are exhibiting.
  • Topics