Lamar 2010 Football Schedule Discussion

So I was looking at one of those "open date" web sites and based on what has been made available (at McN, at SLU, at Ga State and TBAs vs SHSU, SFA, South Alabama, Northern Colorado, North Dakota and vs Langston) -- I came up with this possible schedule. While Woodard loves to talk about the possibility of an FBS game, no one will schedule you guys until 2011 because you will not count as a bowl counter towards bowl eligibility until then. Thoughts?

Saw on there that you guys were not looking for Oct. 16 (one of the few dates, you were not) -- so can only assume that you want a bye that week or you have a foe booked. No clue.

If you do end up with such a schedule, I would say that it was the toughest of any new program. Ended with Georgia State because I figure that would be a nice end of year "reward" for the opening season, a game in the Georgia Dome. Throw in the fact it is tough for USA and Georgia St to get games at the end of the year and it only made sense to put them in November.

Sept 4 - at McNeese (Confirmed)

Sept 11 - vs Stephen F. Austin (Unconfirmed Date)

Sept 18 - vs Sam Houston State (Unconfirmed Date)

Sept 25 - at Southeastern Louisiana (Unconfirmed Date)

Oct 2 - vs Northern Colorado (Unconfirmed Date)

Oct 9 - vs Missouri - Rolla (Unconfirmed Date/Opponent)

Oct 23 - at UC-Davis (Unconfirmed Date/Opponent)

Oct 30 - vs Langston (Unconfirmed Date)

Nov 6 - at South Alabama (Unconfirmed Date)

Nov 13 - vs North Dakota (Unconfirmed Date)

Nov 20 - at Georgia State (Unconfirmed Date)

Why can't LU open with a home game ? It would be a great way re-start the program.

McNeese needed a home game.

Lamar wanted to restart their football program with a rivalry game (which doesn't happen to be too far away and will have probably the best atmosphere for a Lamar game on the season in terms of home/visiting crowds) and a good measuring stick of where they need to be. It's a good move, if you ask me.

Why can't LU open with a home game ? It would be a great way re-start the program.

McNeese needed a home game.

Lamar wanted to restart their football program with a rivalry game (which doesn't happen to be too far away and will have probably the best atmosphere for a Lamar game on the season in terms of home/visiting crowds) and a good measuring stick of where they need to be. It's a good move, if you ask me.

Agreed, and being a first game LU might sneak up on Mcneese....

Probably after they renovate the stadium is my guess, only because they might move some stuff around and what not, but everyone needs to get some when they do!

Guest coachacola

Probably after they renovate the stadium is my guess, only because they might move some stuff around and what not, but everyone needs to get some when they do!

Well, it would be nice if they actually would start renovating the stadium, or at least show some renderings of how it'll look.  Texas State has a artist drawing of the new suites and front to their stadium, it looks nice.  Lamar needs to do the same.

Guest coachacola

Wasn't the SLC once known as the Lone Star Conference?

No, the SLC was founded in 1963 as a NAIA conference but has been a Division I conference since 1975. The LSC was founded in 1931, but there's a lot of former LCS schools in the SLC now.  At least that's what Wikipedia says.

Wasn't the SLC once known as the Lone Star Conference?

No, the SLC was founded in 1963 as a NAIA conference but has been a Division I conference since 1975. The LSC was founded in 1931, but there's a lot of former LCS schools in the SLC now.  At least that's what Wikipedia says.

Okay, maybe thats why I thought some of the SLC schools were in the LSC. Seems like SFA and maybe Sam Houston were in LSC.

We understanding how LU punks SHSU. The last meeting LU beat SHSU 48-0...

One of two things happened here...

1) Hurricane Ike forced the second game of our home-and-home with Prairie View A&M back to 2010, which it did -- not sure if the Lamar deal had been signed at that point.

2) Head coach Ray Woodard spoke before a contract was signed, which he has showed before that he's willing to do (i.e Bevil signing announcement before he signed).

And...well, we all know we "punk" you academically...there's a reason LU has never been considered in the flagship argument. Never a word. SHSU reigns supreme in the TSUS when it comes to producing doctoral degrees and research.

SHSU is also the only university within The Texas State University System to have attained the “Doctoral Research†classification. Lamar University, Texas State University at San Marcos and Sul Ross State University, as well as Stephen F. Austin State—which is not a member of the TSUS—are classified as “Large Master’s†institutions.

(Credit:

This is the hidden content, please
)

Guest coachacola

We understanding how LU punks SHSU. The last meeting LU beat SHSU 48-0...

One of two things happened here...

1) Hurricane Ike forced the second game of our home-and-home with Prairie View A&M back to 2010, which it did -- not sure if the Lamar deal had been signed at that point.

2) Head coach Ray Woodard spoke before a contract was signed, which he has showed before that he's willing to do (i.e Bevil signing announcement before he signed).

And...well, we all know we "punk" you academically...there's a reason LU has never been considered in the flagship argument. Never a word. SHSU reigns supreme in the TSUS when it comes to producing doctoral degrees and research.

SHSU is also the only university within The Texas State University System to have attained the “Doctoral Research†classification. Lamar University, Texas State University at San Marcos and Sul Ross State University, as well as Stephen F. Austin State—which is not a member of the TSUS—are classified as “Large Master’s†institutions.

(Credit: http://www.shsu.edu/~pin_www/T%40S/2009/carnegieupgrade.html)

Not playing SHSU in 2010 is a disappointment to .... nobody!!

And as far as flagship status is concerned, nobody here has said Lamar is worthy of flagship status.  But neither is SHSU or Texas State.  Let's compare some numbers from Texas Higher Education Accountability System:

Research Expenditures in 2006 (in millions):

LU $ 3.278  (Mr. Simmons says research is now at $8 million)

SHSU $ 3.143

Texas State $ 9.498

Endowment dollars in 2007 (in millions):

LU $42

SHSU $32

Texas State $57.2

Maybe SHSU should start producing engineers so they can give back millions to the school.  That works for Lamar.

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    jacobmartin
    Newest Member
    jacobmartin