STJFL Weight Limits

I have only one last question and I hope someone has a good answer to this one and hopefully I will not post anything else...if I can help it....

WHAT ARE THE WEIGHT RESTRICTIONS IN HIGH SCHOOL????????   ANYONE?????  I'm just curious....

THERE ARE NO WEIGHT RESTRICTIONS IN HIGH SCHOOL... BUT THIS ISN'T HIGH SCHOOL. I hear the comparison between our league and JR High or High School all the time when it comes to weights, rules, MPRs or even how we play the game. The main difference is that, unlike HS, Coaches can draft players for our teams, but have no input on the pool of players from which we choose. We as head coaches are burdened with the safety of our players without prejudice...  Little Johnny's Momma and Daddy want him to try out football this is where they come to make it happen. We can't sit him on the bench and we can't cut him. We live by an entirely different rule set than what we are being compared. And for the record, and I know this isn't popular with any of my assistants but, I wouldn't have it any other way (with the exception of one or two). :)

Nobody has a job as cool as ours. We get the first chance to sand down the rough wood and see what it looks like! But with that, the truth is there are quite a few that are in the wrong sport and we coaches know it... Even if the parents haven't seen it yet. So we deal with that and we have a duty to see to it that it's safe. This can't even be compared to sandlot ball because in the back yard kids get to choose who they're up against or they can walk away.

QueenB... At no time have I pointed your son out and said anything about him or accused anyone of anything for that matter. I keep pointing out that what I am suggesting would actually help you with the problem of the height weight ratio you brought up. Actually, as BigD, figured out this thread wasn't about WOS at all. We lost that game... I shook all your hands and said good game... said the same thing here... Haven't said anything else about the game since... I saw this problem at the beginning of the year and wanted to bring it up then, but waited till after the season to avoid this controversy.

Next year is the first year since the addition of Pee Wee that all Junior players will only have two years experience. Up till now most of the 10 year olds have had three years of Junior experience. I thought it was a good time to make sure we had the limits right before we go into next year... And while it is still fresh on our minds. If not for a weight increase it sounds like QueenB's son as well as players from other leagues (including a few on my team) might be affected because there is only a 10 pound weight differential from Pee Wee when we have a 30 pound margin to Seniors. Am I the only one that sees the problem with that?

It seems to me what has caused most of the problem is when I also suggested that a coach should be able to challenge the weight of a player... That seems fair to me. All I have heard from those that oppose the idea is that their kids never got over 100lbs. If that's true then don't worry about it. BigWorm if your son remained at 98 pounds all year... this doesn't affect you so, just as you suggested, let it go.

For the parent asking what to tell their 6 foot 220 pound kid about not playing ball. I don't know what to say other than there are going to be anomalies out there. You can tell him 2 things. One is that most coaches (me included) don't weigh that much and two while he might miss a year of senior ball in the STJFL, if he has any talent to go with his size, there will most likely be a representative from UT at his graduation waiting to talk to him.

• Replies 151
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have only one last question and I hope someone has a good answer to this one and hopefully I will not post anything else...if I can help it....

WHAT ARE THE WEIGHT RESTRICTIONS IN HIGH SCHOOL????????   ANYONE?????  I'm just curious....

THERE ARE NO WEIGHT RESTRICTIONS IN HIGH SCHOOL... BUT THIS ISN'T HIGH SCHOOL. I hear the comparison between our league and JR High or High School all the time when it comes to weights, rules, MPRs or even how we play the game. The main difference is that, unlike HS, Coaches can draft players for our teams, but have no input on the pool of players from which we choose. We as head coaches are burdened with the safety of our players without prejudice...  Little Johnny's Momma and Daddy want him to try out football this is where they come to make it happen. We can't sit him on the bench and we can't cut him. We live by an entirely different rule set than what we are being compared. And for the record, and I know this isn't popular with any of my assistants but, I wouldn't have it any other way (with the exception of one or two). :)

Nobody has a job as cool as ours. We get the first chance to sand down the rough wood and see what it looks like! But with that, the truth is there are quite a few that are in the wrong sport and we coaches know it... Even if the parents haven't seen it yet. So we deal with that and we have a duty to see to it that it's safe. This can't even be compared to sandlot ball because in the back yard kids get to choose who they're up against or they can walk away.

QueenB... At no time have I pointed your son out and said anything about him or accused anyone of anything for that matter. I keep pointing out that what I am suggesting would actually help you with the problem of the height weight ratio you brought up. Actually, as BigD, figured out this thread wasn't about WOS at all. We lost that game... I shook all your hands and said good game... said the same thing here... Haven't said anything else about the game since... I saw this problem at the beginning of the year and wanted to bring it up then, but waited till after the season to avoid this controversy.

Next year is the first year since the addition of Pee Wee that all Junior players will only have two years experience. Up till now most of the 10 year olds have had three years of Junior experience. I thought it was a good time to make sure we had the limits right before we go into next year... And while it is still fresh on our minds. If not for a weight increase it sounds like QueenB's son as well as players from other leagues (including a few on my team) might be affected because there is only a 10 pound weight differential from Pee Wee when we have a 30 pound margin to Seniors. Am I the only one that sees the problem with that?

It seems to me what has caused most of the problem is when I also suggested that a coach should be able to challenge the weight of a player... That seems fair to me. All I have heard from those that oppose the idea is that their kids never got over 100lbs. If that's true then don't worry about it. BigWorm if your son remained at 98 pounds all year... this doesn't affect you so, just as you suggested, let it go.

For the parent asking what to tell their 6 foot 220 pound kid about not playing ball. I don't know what to say other than there are going to be anomalies out there. You can tell him 2 things. One is that most coaches (me included) don't weigh that much and two while he might miss a year of senior ball in the STJFL, if he has any talent to go with his size, there will most likely be a representative from UT at his graduation waiting to talk to him.

no no no; i know you didn't question my son.  someone else, in an earlier post, made comments that I felt was attacking me and my son.  sorry for the confusion there.

Just my opinion but I think it should be modified to something like this:

Division           AGE         LO            CAP

===============================

PeeWee           7-8         90             125

Junior              9-10       115            140

Senior             11-13      135            155

Thoughts?

I like the idea of extending the cap for the junior division.

While were talking about rules. My question is do you (love to hear what the coaches say) think the player participation report is being followed and enforced?

There is no way that the STJFL will have weigh ins at games. First of all there is no way to have the same scale at the same place unless you have a weight station (like 0n 1-10). There would be so many protest about the scale. On any given Saturday, there could be 4 to 6 host sites. Talk about a cluster!!!

Instead of looking how funny it looks in compared to each division, state what is actually wrong. What wrong with the weights specifically?

While were talking about rules. My question is do you (love to hear what the coaches say) think the player participation report is being followed and enforced?

Depends on what you mean by followed and enforced...

Do we get ALL our players MPRs in? Absolutely, but more to make sure players and parents are getting their moneys worth. at the end of each game the opposing coach signs our MPR sheet.

Now do we keep it on the opposing team as well? Not really. I pretty much leave it up to him if he doesn't get them in it's up to him to look the player in the face and explain it to the parents.

Depends on what you mean by followed and enforced...

Do we get ALL our players MPRs in? Absolutely, but more to make sure players and parents are getting their moneys worth. at the end of each game the opposing coach signs our MPR sheet.

Now do we keep it on the opposing team as well? Not really. I pretty much leave it up to him if he doesn't get them in it's up to him to look the player in the face and explain it to the parents.

I have heard that most teams keep the MPR on only their team only. Do many teams get challenged on participation?

I have heard that most teams keep the MPR on only their team only. Do many teams get challenged on participation?

I've never seen it. If a coach keeps his own MPRs he has something to show someone who challenges his players participation. In fact this year I had a total of 3 MPR monitors. One for each O & D that reported to a master list holder, but I had a huge team of 29 players this year.

The only problem with not keeping an MPR on the opposing team is that you lose the option to challeng them if you feel they didn't get them all in. It's never been that important to me to do that.

Just my opinion but I think it should be modified to something like this:

Division           AGE         LO            CAP

===============================

PeeWee           7-8         90             125

Junior              9-10       115            140

Senior             11-13      135            155

Thoughts?

I can tell you that the two WOS teams that my boys played on the 10 play rule is being followed. Now I don't think it's being checked but we did follow the rule. Neither of our teams ever checked the other teams report that I know of.

We all see the teams year in and year out that have giant kids playing linebacker, or running the ball that we know they are too big to play the position. It happens quite often. And as much as we hate to see it there are those parents that will make a kid diet or take a laxative to make the weight. Its stupid and terrible but it happens. I would like the referees to know the rules more thoroughly. As far as how an actual lo is suppossed to line up,and to pay attention to the kids lined up over your center and such. It seems as if none of the refs knew about these rules. Too many grey areas on these subjects. One issue i had also is if an lo cant run the ball,then how can he advance a fumble or an interception? I was under the impression it was dead at the spot he got it. That was the original reason lo were not allowed on kick offs and kick returns,because they did not want them with a chance to end up with the ball. Just would like some insight on this. How about a 2nd weigh in at the halfway point of the season?

We all see the teams year in and year out that have giant kids playing linebacker, or running the ball that we know they are too big to play the position. It happens quite often. And as much as we hate to see it there are those parents that will make a kid diet or take a laxative to make the weight. Its stupid and terrible but it happens. I would like the referees to know the rules more thoroughly. As far as how an actual lo is suppossed to line up,and to pay attention to the kids lined up over your center and such. It seems as if none of the refs knew about these rules. Too many grey areas on these subjects. One issue i had also is if an lo cant run the ball,then how can he advance a fumble or an interception? I was under the impression it was dead at the spot he got it. That was the original reason lo were not allowed on kick offs and kick returns,because they did not want them with a chance to end up with the ball. Just would like some insight on this. How about a 2nd weigh in at the halfway point of the season?

The LO rule was was put in to allow bigger kids to play. I heard it was discussed to blow the whistle and call it dead if they get the ball, but there was a big concern that you would have inadvertant whistle and the player not be LO. That could impact a lot of big plays, also they did not want to limit the game that it is really played. The rule is simple; Line-up head up or inside the offensive tackle, offensive LO must play tackle to tackle. Usually there is a coaches/ref meeting prior to the season. The first hurricane evacuation messed that up, then Ike.

The bottom line it is where they initally line-up and the play cannot be designed for the LO to get the ball. Through the course of the play, if they get there hands on it, they can advance.

I suggest you cantact your local board so they can

The suggestion that larger kids are being sweated down to meet weight is exactly where the coach’s ability to challenge came from because you’re right the practice does happen and we all know it.

I wouldn’t go so far as to say we all agree on everything, but judging from this thread the majority seems to agree that weight caps need to be increased and most of those think there should also be some measures in place to keep the weight rules in check throughout the season.

What I hope does not happen is a weight increase with no monitoring. Because then we potentially have a kid that loses pounds to certify and then gains regular weight and muscle. With ONLY a weight increase we’ll have a 135lb ball carrier rather than the 120 pounders we’ve been facing.

As far as the LOs go… It was designed to let bigger kids play, but also keep them from building up steam and plowing over smaller kids. It’s a good plan that is intended to balance things out. And again, it is another reason we need a method to monitor because a 120 pound player should not be able to hit a 65 – 75 pound kid at full speed.

Ill tell ya what you need is sombody at the scales you have now. that last certification for sure. you ever wondered why that last cert is always near there house. have you ever seen any of the wos studs at any scale? nope and you never will. and by the way yall not gonna have any luck changin it neither cause the board dont want it changed neither

sportsnut72,

Don't start putting crap on here about someone letting some kid slide at the scales.  That I can assure you has never happened at least not in the last 8 years for sure.  All you are trying to do is start some crap.  You have nothing to back up your statement, you are just spouting out bull.  The majority of all of the kids are weighed in at their appropriate time.  And the fact that the last certification is in Orangefield for the last 3 years is voted on by the entire board, as your statement indicates WOS has nothing to do with were it is held except one vote just like everyone else.  So don't start your crying, because you can't back up your statements, I can guarantee that.

Ill tell ya what you need is sombody at the scales you have now. that last certification for sure. you ever wondered why that last cert is always near there house. have you ever seen any of the wos studs at any scale? nope and you never will. and by the way yall not gonna have any luck changin it neither cause the board dont want it changed neither

[/quo

For your info out of 1 pee wee teams,2 junior teams,and 2 senior teams our "WOS STUDS" were not LO or close to being LO.

ENGLISH LESSON.......

I was going to translate this to English and make it even more humorous, but I don't have three hours to spend on it. The statements he is trying to make have no merit. He should go back to posting on myspace!

ENGLISH LESSON.......

I was going to translate this to English and make it even more humorous, but I don't have three hours to spend on it. The statements he is trying to make have no merit. He should go back to posting on myspace!

amen!  why is WOS always being picked on and called out?  i myself was at the certification this year and I cannot speak for other teams, but I know for a FACT that each one of our guys were weighed by someone other then our coaches and certified to play (WOS Junior Blue).

If you wanna be like us, you don't have to start crap.  Just give us your registration money, follow the rules, and you too can be a WOS Lil Mustang. ;D

I was at the weigh in for WO-S Junior Blue also and I can personally vouch they EVERY kid was weighed and MET the weight. You know I can understand why people are kinda jealous of our program because we win. Hey, why not insinuate that Lumberton is doing something wrong? I mean they had teams in all THREE divsions in the Super Bowl. When foolish people say foolish things guess what people think of them?

I respect every kid and coach in this league. I expect the same in return.

You are correct TxDragon. If someone wants to gripe, they need to gripe to their local board. You can't cheat on weight ins, You cannot weigh your own. Before people start accusing others, they need to know how the weigh in done.

You made another good pint, why WOS? I am not from there but you could accuse Lumberton or any other association. Bring facts or shut your pie hole.

Well said Player!

You are correct TxDragon. If someone wants to gripe, they need to gripe to their local board. You can't cheat on weight ins, You cannot weigh your own. Before people start accusing others, they need to know how the weigh in done.

You made another good pint, why WOS? I am not from there but you could accuse Lumberton or any other association. Bring facts or shut your pie hole.

I was at the weigh in for WO-S Junior Blue also and I can personally vouch they EVERY kid was weighed and MET the weight. You know I can understand why people are kinda jealous of our program because we win. Hey, why not insinuate that Lumberton is doing something wrong? I mean they had teams in all THREE divsions in the Super Bowl. When foolish people say foolish things guess what people think of them?

Well said Dragon. I don't think anyone is going to throw the red chalenge flag on us for getting all three teams to the Sperbowl. I bet next year when we win all three we'll be taking heat from all directions though. :)

Have nothing but respect for your players and coaches.

By the way: What is Karma and why don't I have more of it? I'm having to check twice before I cross the street now... Somebody give me some good Karma.  >:(

I think you have to win the super bowl to get karma lol...just kidding, I wished I knew as well. As for as what the other gentleman said about us in a panic, just to let him know we will panic when we stop winning lol.

Well said Dragon. I don't think anyone is going to throw the red chalenge flag on us for getting all three teams to the Sperbowl. I bet next year when we win all three we'll be taking heat from all directions though. :)

By the way: What is Karma and why don't I have more of it? I'm having to check twice before I cross the street now... Somebody give me some good Karma.  >:(

I think you have to win the super bowl to get karma lol...just kidding, I wished I knew as well. As for as what the other gentleman said about us in a panic, just to let him know we will panic when we stop winning lol.

You may be on to something with that super bowl thing since you have +2/-1... I guess it's a good thing I got myself a plan for next year.

I call it the Tonya Harding Offense... Simple really. I figure I'll just let my boys keep their equipment from baseball season... lol :)

I gave you a karma.  Now your grand total is 1 raider. You have to start somewhere.  ;D

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    hulmeyolmu
    Newest Member
    hulmeyolmu