STJFL Weight Limits

• Replies 151
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I want to ask a question ,,,, I know a player who exceeds the weight limit can move up ,, ect  BUT is there any allowance for a player who does'nt ,, EXAMPLE  what if the kid is gona be 9 but still is only at 55 or 60 lbs ???? can they be held back and play at peewee one more yr ???

[quote name="L-TRAIN" post="703249" timestamp="1257840338"]
I want to ask a question ,,,, I know a player who exceeds the weight limit can move up ,, ect  BUT is there any allowance for a player who does'nt ,, EXAMPLE  what if the kid is gona be 9 but still is only at 55 or 60 lbs ???? can they be held back and play at peewee one more yr ???
[/quote]

I don't think you can play down because of weight. Actually I don't think you can play down for any reason what so ever.

[quote name="td" post="703257" timestamp="1257851987"]
[quote author=L-TRAIN link=topic=47123.msg703249#msg703249 date=1257840338]
[/quote]

I don't think you can play down because of weight. Actually I don't think you can play down for any reason what so ever.
[/quote]
OK , thankx TD ,, Im still learning the in and out of the league!! Im not worried bout my little man ,, LOL small and fast ,, LOL I wish I could be soooo ripped LOL  I had to ask ya know , mine shocked me this yr and made 180 in improvement ,, hoping for the same over the off season ,, !!!

[quote name="L-TRAIN" post="703294" timestamp="1257859063"]
[quote author=td link=topic=47123.msg703257#msg703257 date=1257851987]
[quote author=L-TRAIN link=topic=47123.msg703249#msg703249 date=1257840338]
[/quote]

[/quote]
OK , thankx TD ,, Im still learning the in and out of the league!! Im not worried bout my little man ,, LOL small and fast ,, LOL I wish I could be soooo ripped LOL  I had to ask ya know , mine shocked me this yr and made 180 in improvement ,, hoping for the same over the off season ,, !!!
[/quote]

No problem. Please understand that what I said is my interpretation of the rule. It's not the gospel. I'm sure Gonesouth or Bridge City Kitty could tell you better and be 100% sure about it.

dub,

To qualify for a Senior Tackle football team the participant must be at the age of (12) twelve years old or under on September 1st.  Participants may not weigh more than 160 lbs. A participant that weighs more than 135 lbs. will be restricted to a down lineman position tackle to tackle on offense, between the tackles on defense, and line of scrimmage kick off receive only.  A participant who is twelve (12) on September 1 that will turn thirteen (13) before May 30 of the following year must not exceed the weight of 125 lbs.  A person who is enrolled in the 7th grade or higher of the ensuing football season shall not be allowed to compete in the STJFL, Inc.

What exactly do you have a question about, and I will try to answer it.

[quote name="GoneSouth" post="703922" timestamp="1257911427"]
dub,

To qualify for a Senior Tackle football team the participant must be at the age of (12) twelve years old or under on September 1st.  Participants may not weigh more than 160 lbs. A participant that weighs more than 135 lbs. will be restricted to a down lineman position tackle to tackle on offense, between the tackles on defense, and line of scrimmage kick off receive only.  A participant who is twelve (12) on September 1 that will turn thirteen (13) before May 30 of the following year must not exceed the weight of 125 lbs.  A person who is enrolled in the 7th grade or higher of the ensuing football season shall not be allowed to compete in the STJFL, Inc.

What exactly do you have a question about, and I will try to answer it.
[/quote]

So, if that is true then my son can only play 2 yrs as a jr (9&10) & 1 yr as a sr (11).  He will be 12 on Sept 1 and turn 13 before May 30th but he wuld be in the 7th grade...  Kind of conflicting if 12 & under can participate but they can't be in 7th grade... so I guess he can fail a year & be able to play 2 yrs as a sr cuz he'd only be in 6th grade but meets age restrictions...

All Sports Mom, here is the deal. My nephew fell in to this catagorey a few years ago and me and my brother was thinking the samething you are probably thinking (contradictions) but if you look at the big picture it makes sense.

Here is the reason that makes sense; Most middles schools have 7th grade football so youth leagues do not want to compete or take away from schools. Most youth leagues use school facilities and that could cause some issues. Also if 7th graders are elidgable some associations would push kids to play on the youth teams where others would not which would cause a imbalance in the league. Some adult/coaches dont care and think of their team only just to win. The league is intended to provide football to kids that are 12 and under, if they are in the 7th grade then they have a place to play and if they dont have 7th grade school ball then their school needs to get it going.

[quote name="td" post="709536" timestamp="1258371490"]
Don't most kids only get one year in Sr.?
[/quote]
Josh gets 2 years because of his birthday. He's been in Jr for 2 years while everyone else in his grade just completed their 1st year in jr. They have 1 more year in jr and he moves up to sr. All because of 7 days. He was the youngest kid on our jr team the last two years.

[quote name="GoneSouth" post="710564" timestamp="1258467370"]
SportsMom,

A child would not skip an entire division,  if he busted weight as a peewee he would move up to junior not senior.
[/quote]

If he busts weight for peewee then he busts weight for jr at 126#'s...what is the difference? The rules don't indicate you can't be bumped an entire division. no minimum age per division either... 12 & under - Sr; 10 & under - Jr; 8 & under - Peewee

[quote name="AllSportsMom" post="711118" timestamp="1258511774"]
[quote author=GoneSouth link=topic=47123.msg710564#msg710564 date=1258467370]
SportsMom,

A child would not skip an entire division,  if he busted weight as a peewee he would move up to junior not senior.
[/quote]

If he busts weight for peewee then he busts weight for jr at 126#'s...what is the difference? The rules don't indicate you can't be bumped an entire division. no minimum age per division either... 12 & under - Sr; 10 & under - Jr; 8 & under - Peewee
[/quote]
Read it again. the certification rule clearly states a player can move up to the next age division unlimited weight without restrictions. So a pee-wee bust max weight they can move up to Jr for that year unlimited. Obviously it is to allow players to play as close as they can to their age group. What is wrong with that rule? 

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...
so, with signups right around the corner (I'm assuming that; doesn't it normally happen right after school lets out or close to it) has there been any definite changes to the weight rules?  I'm really concerned about my son this year because he may be 11 years old but the child is my height now (5'5") and his weight matches his height - not his age!!!  Just wanted to know what I'm looking at this year.

• 3 months later...
Guest Yo Gabba
I have been to several of these games to watch my nephews play. I saw more than one Jr. team who's running backs are "supposed" to be under 90lbs-"YEA RIGHT"- they may have been under 90lbs at 7 years old.

If it is truly for the kids "as the STJFL Board says it is then they will find a way to regulate this issue. Several suggestions

1) Have a random weigh in at game each week. Of course you would have to make sure that the weigh in was unknown to the coach ahead of time, if you know what I mean.

2) Give the coaches the ability to be able to choose 2 kids from the opposing team to weigh prior to game starting.

3) Leave it as it is and let some of these 110 to 115lb running backs that sweated down, dehydrated, took laxatives, and Lord only knows what else their daddy's have done to them to make weight continue to think they are the bomb until they get to high school and get shut down by kids that are just as big as them.

Funny how it works out that the towns whom I have watched that CLEARLY have kids that are over weight limit have absolutely HORRIBLE High School squads......hmmmm

[quote name="Yo Gabba" post="821801" timestamp="1280424463"]
I have been to several of these games to watch my nephews play. I saw more than one Jr. team who's running backs are "supposed" to be under 90lbs-"YEA RIGHT"- they may have been under 90lbs at 7 years old.

If it is truly for the kids "as the STJFL Board says it is then they will find a way to regulate this issue. Several suggestions

1) Have a random weigh in at game each week. Of course you would have to make sure that the weigh in was unknown to the coach ahead of time, if you know what I mean.

2) Give the coaches the ability to be able to choose 2 kids from the opposing team to weigh prior to game starting.

3) Leave it as it is and let some of these 110 to 115lb running backs that sweated down, dehydrated, took laxatives, and Lord only knows what else their daddy's have done to them to make weight continue to think they are the bomb until they get to high school and get shut down by kids that are just as big as them.

Funny how it works out that the towns whom I have watched that CLEARLY have kids that are over weight limit have absolutely HORRIBLE High School squads......hmmmm
[/quote]

If you have issues with it, go through your local board, everyone has a say... dont make comments until you know the whole story

[quote name="player66" post="707020" timestamp="1258174747"]
All Sports Mom, here is the deal. My nephew fell in to this catagorey a few years ago and me and my brother was thinking the samething you are probably thinking (contradictions) but if you look at the big picture it makes sense.

Here is the reason that makes sense; Most middles schools have 7th grade football so youth leagues do not want to compete or take away from schools. Most youth leagues use school facilities and that could cause some issues. Also if 7th graders are elidgable some associations would push kids to play on the youth teams where others would not which would cause a imbalance in the league. Some adult/coaches dont care and think of their team only just to win. The league is intended to provide football to kids that are 12 and under, if they are in the 7th grade then they have a place to play and if they dont have 7th grade school ball then their school needs to get it going.
[/quote]

my sons only gonna get 1 yr in senior tackle before he moves up to the 7th grade team in groves, im glad hes getting to go to 7th grade team, even tho hes gonna miss alot of his friends that will be playing in PN that hes played with since flag

Guest Yo Gabba
So Bulldog you are stating that none of the running backs are over weight limit? and if they are then you have lost the argument already. If you are denying that they are over the weight limit then you are seriously blinded.

[quote name="Yo Gabba" post="822476" timestamp="1280752352"]
So Bulldog you are stating that none of the running backs are over weight limit? and if they are then you have lost the argument already. If you are denying that they are over the weight limit then you are seriously blinded.
[/quote]

I guess you dont know how the league works and how the rules are made. What I am saying all players must make a weight limit at certification. What ever they weigh at that time is the weight they play "as" for the year. If you do not like that then you you go to your local board (what ever city you play in) and ask them to evaluate the rules and propose a change. Obviously you just want to complain and stir the pot because of your sarcastic comments.

Aslo you should know the history why things are the way they are. I know all things are not perfect, but in most cases rules are made for the greater whole. 3 years ago the ages were adjusted to have kids play closer in age where weight would not make a big impact. Besides when they get to middle school they do not have weight limits. My sone played 5 years in the STJFL and at 13 just broke 100 lbs, he had no problem tackle 135lb runningbacks. He  was tackle and body slammed by players 60lbs bigger than him.

So what I am saying, that kids make the certification weight are leagal players, that is the rule. If you  dont like, dont play or get your local board to propose a change. Better yet, get involved and find out how much work it is to run the league and try and be fair to all.

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    yielder
    Newest Member
    yielder