**BREAKING NEWS.. PN-G's Matt Burnett To Step Down As Head Coach**

KFDM COOP

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Without knowing the talent level or being close enough to the situation to render a real opinion, I'll just leave my observations from seeing PN-G for two years.  The kids executed the offense very well but it was very predictable and depended on having road graters for lineman and tackle breaking running backs.  It just looked severly outdated and un-imaginative.  Defense was in fairly good position on almost every play but continued to try and cover wide recievers with linebackers.  It didn't seem to me that the talent wasn't there, it seemed that the talent wasn't being put into positions to succeed.  Sorry to hear that the head coach has stepped down...now it's up to you at PN-G to find the right coach to make it work.  Good luck and I hope to see you (and your amazing crowds) down the road again soon...hopefully in the playoffs.

Very good post and right on the money. The talent comments are a shot while we are down, but if the right candidate is chosen we will be back.

i myself thought he was a real good coach,

one losing season after a 2nd rd playoff game

and bam! i hate to see that. 

Making the playoffs every three to four years is a joke with the three and now four team watered down playoff system. So the staement about one losing season isn't valid.

This is the hidden content, please

Burnett will oversee an athletic complex that includes the school's new $10.2-million stadium. He will also be the school's student attendance officer, Randall said.

The board approved Randall's recommendation of the creation of the complex coordinator position. The board then approved Randall's recommendation that Burnett fill the post, she said. The board approved both unanimously, she said.

I hate to see Burnett never get a win at the state of the art stadium he fought so hard to get.

Too bad for the Lumberton that they will lose their savior to a brand new state of the art stadium and a beefed up salary.

Money talks, I dont give a crap where you are from.

Its gonna get crazy!!!!

so you're assuming that credeur will be goin to png?

I hate to see Burnett never get a win at the state of the art stadium he fought so hard to get.

Too bad for the Lumberton that they will lose their savior to a brand new state of the art stadium and a beefed up salary.

Money talks, I dont give a crap where you are from.

Its gonna get crazy!!!!

so you're assuming that credeur will be goin to png?

I thinkin he will be a top fiver for sure.

Burnett dont play football, He coach football . It's up to the players to win.

???

Do you really not understand what she is saying?  I understand.   :-\ :-\ .  Was that sarcasism?

District 204A is so competitive that coaching is the difference. Look at Nederland year in and year out and at the same time look at Ozen. I promise Ozen usually puts some very talented kids on the field but coahing has failed them. I believe everyone on this board knows Matt Burnett doesn't play , he coaches. It is ultimately up to the kids to win but the guidance from the coach can be the difference most of the time. No sarcasm just questioning the theory.

Port Arthur News

PN-G's Coach Burnett accepts new athletic complex title

By Darragh Doiron

PORT NECHES —

By Darragh Doiron

The News staff writer

Longtime Port Neches-Groves High School Indians coach Matt Burnett will step down from coaching, but will not step too far off the field.

At a special meeting Tuesday, the PN-G board approved Burnett for a new position, outdoor athletic complex coordinator and attendance officer, for the 2009-2010 school year.

Burnett said he was excited to both work with students at all levels to encourage and motivate them to attend class and to coordinate sponsorships and bookings for the Indians' brand-new, state-of-the-art stadium.

"Coaching at PN-G has been a dream come true for me. I feel blessed to have coached here for 22 years," Burnett said. "I have loved every minute of it and have given my very best effort every day. I have had the opportunity to work with outstanding coaches in all types of sports. I have also had the privilege to coach kids that always played and practiced like winners. I want to thank my wife and family for always supporting me and allowing me to devote so much time to my job."Â

Burnett, 51, has spent the past 15 years as head coach in a district where patrons have supported their team with purple pride and passion.

"What a great ride,"Â he said. "I will miss it, but for me and my family, the time has come to move in a new direction. I am happy with this new decision, and I look forward to my new position. I will continue to be the men's athletic coordinator until the district hires one."Â

"I love PN-G and all it stands for," Burnett said.

When voting, board members discussed the big revenue potential that the new stadium is expected to bring with sponsorships and rentals for playoff games.

Burnett said he prided himself on encouraging and motivating young people and would be working with campus principals and visiting homes of students with poor attendance records.

Billy Curl, assistant superintendent, said more information on the hiring procedure of the next head coach would be upcoming in the future.

???

Do you really not understand what she is saying?  I understand.   :-\ :-\ .  Was that sarcasism?

District 204A is so competitive that coaching is the difference. Look at Nederland year in and year out and at the same time look at Ozen. I promise Ozen usually puts some very talented kids on the field but coahing has failed them. I believe everyone on this board knows Matt Burnett doesn't play , he coaches. It is ultimately up to the kids to win but the guidance from the coach can be the difference most of the time. No sarcasm just questioning the theory.

He is right about Ozen, they have pumped out several D1 players and have had limited success in the playoffs since they have been in existence.

The truth is when you take a head coaching job, you take full responsibility for failure and you credit the the kids and your assistants for the success.

That is what MB did on a consistant basis.

???

ozen ALWAYS puts the most talent on the field. either them or central.

jus no coaching..

???

ozen ALWAYS puts the most talent on the field. either them or central.

jus no coaching..

Newsflash...Central is in the third round of the playoffs...Seems like some pretty decent coaching to me.

Guest gladiator2

Come on people, coaches get paid to win football games. People can call the people of PNG spoiled brats or whatever they want but coaches get paid to win. Do you think Nederland is paying Neumann almost $100,000 to be just a good ol' boy or be good with the kid's, hell no he gets paid to win football games. As for as the stadium goes, the school board and the taxpayer's is the reason for the stadium. Hopefully PNGISD will post this job state wide because you can really get the attention of some really good football coaches across the state. It is going to be a very attractive job and hopefully they do hire someone that does not have any connections to PNG. That way the whole program can be cleaned up and not just another home town boy who will depend on his buddies to do their job. It's kind of hard when all of the coaches are trying to take care of all of their friends and family. Some of these coaches are very good, but this will also make them work a little harder because they will have an impression to make with their new boss. I do believe that Alvarez will be a candidate as well as Long, but I believe they can do better from across the state. They need to bring in a true offensive minded coach because you can find a defensive coach and he might bring his own DC.

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    yielder
    Newest Member
    yielder