Update on the PN-G coaching situation

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There's a lot of fun that's had on these boards, but I wish I could delete them from cyberspace at a time like this.  No man deserves to be ridiculed like Matt Burnett has on these message boards across SE Texas.  It's un American, no way to confront your accusers.

I agree with you Penny, Burnett is a great man and deserves more. Do I think there needs to be some changes? Yes, but Burnett is not one of them.

Please enlighten me..what exactly defines "great" ??

I see that word used alot to describe him but

I don't know the man from Adam, so just wondering.

I know MB is a die hard Indian but if they offered him a reassignment he should tell them to stick it.

Whether anyone thinks he is a good head coach or not his overall record and background speaks for itself.

See, herein lies the problem. Those that don't follow the program don't really know what his overall record is. They just assume that it is great since it's PNG and they hear about them each season, but take a look at teh real numbers.

Overall 94-65 (0.591) with 6 playoff appearences.  Not bad, not great either. The 0.591 winning percentage ranks him 11th on the all time PNG list for coaches. Theres been 18 HC's at PNG. But what has happened lately.

Without the D. Long three years the record is:

64-58 (0.525)

In the past 9 years since the state title game run:

52-40 (0.565)

But that includes just three (3) winning seasons and three (3) playoff appearences (1 in the last four years).

The numbers speak for themselves. Not as GREAT as everyone thinks are they!

To put that into perspective, Neuman over that same period is:

119-52 (0.696) with 12 playoff appearences.

Matt is a great person and good coach, but if he can't see that he needs help on the offensive side of the ball then maybe he should be replaced. I would love to see him stay and focus on defense and hire an established, imaginative OC. Just don't have any reason to believe it will happen.

I know MB is a die hard Indian but if they offered him a reassignment he should tell them to stick it.

Whether anyone thinks he is a good head coach or not his overall record and background speaks for itself.

See, herein lies the problem. Those that don't follow the program don't really know what his overall record is. They just assume that it is great since it's PNG and they hear about them each season, but take a look at teh real numbers.

Overall 94-65 (0.591) with 6 playoff appearences.  Not bad, not great either. The 0.591 winning percentage ranks him 11th on the all time PNG list for coaches. Theres been 18 HC's at PNG. But what has happened lately.

64-58 (0.525)

52-40 (0.565)

But that includes just three (3) winning seasons and three (3) playoff appearences (1 in the last four years).

Matt is a great person and good coach, but if he can't see that he needs help on the offensive side of the ball then maybe he should be replaced. I would love to see him stay and focus on defense and hire an established, imaginative OC. Just don't have any reason to believe it will happen.

Nice post and good information but the blame cannot be entirely placed on Coach Burnett for the offensive problems IMO. When Long left for Kelly the PNGISD supposedly did not give him a budget to replace the OC. It was rumored he was told he had to replace him from his then current staff. The only coach that had past OC experience was Dan Welch. So it sounded like it was a tag you're it hire.

I think Matt Burnett is a great guy and loves PNG as much if not more than we all do. If its time for a change I hope he has something lined up & if he stays Ill support him and the Indians as always.

64-58 (0.525)

52-40 (0.565)

Nice post and good information but the blame cannot be entirely placed on Coach Burnett for the offensive problems IMO. When Long left for Kelly the PNGISD supposedly did not give him a budget to replace the OC. It was rumored he was told he had to replace him from his then current staff. The only coach that had past OC experience was Dan Welch. So it sounded like it was a tag your it kinda hire.

I think Matt Burnett is a great guy and loves PNG as much if not more than we all do. If its time for a change I hope he has something lined up & if he stays Ill support him and the Indians as always.

That's a class post. Kudos.

From The PN-G Site

Talked to the KFDM newscaster that was there and he said he was told that a vote would not be done tonight. He was going to try and get a statement from the board members or MB.

In other words we the board want it done so Mrs. Superintendent it will be done or suffer the wrath of the board.

SOunds like all is not happy across the tracks.

The rumor about not having the budget is not true. PNG hired Wiley McKeller to be QB coach and promoted Welch. McKeller left after one year to take a OC job in Alabama, I think. They moved Coach Wallace from middle school to coach QB's when Mckeller left. This was probably a stop gap measure, but Wallace has continued to stay on the varsity staff. Rumors float around about a lot of stuff at PNG. People used to complain that we were a coach short after Coach Cummings(DC) left to become a principal. The truth was MB decided to hire his Uncle Riley Burnett and assumed the duties of DC himself. I was told by someone who definitely knows what happened and they said MB could have hired anyone to replace Cummings and chose to hire Riley Burnett as LB coach. I am not one to attack Coach Burnett, but I think he has to be held accountable for the hires he has made over the years. Lets not make excuses for him, he is a grown man and take care of himself. I hate that this is having to play out in the public eye. I think the school board has made a mistake making this public before the fact, if they are looking to replace him. I am not an insider and I have no clout at PNG, this is just my opinion on the subject.

I agree with the budget not being a problem for the Hd Coaching position as well....If there is a reassignment/termination going to happen I think you would see a (Masters Prefferred) on the job description which in turn would allow for Admin. Level pay for the Hd. Coaching position...

The one thing I think many people forget is that at any level of coaching the public feels as if they know "everything" that is going on with the program..."My son told me....I heard one of the coaches said this....etc".....If you have been a coach you truly know what goes on inside and the ups and downs of running a competitive programs...Its tough.....However coaches also know that while signing that coaching contract they can come under harsh public critiques and school boards are elected to support those same citizens...

All in all go look at how many people actually voted for school board over the past years compared to how many people show up at a football game in the PNGISD...Its sad...People want to complain but dont even vote for those making the "big decisions".....

I agree with the budget not being a problem for the Hd Coaching position as well....If there is a reassignment/termination going to happen I think you would see a (Masters Prefferred) on the job description which in turn would allow for Admin. Level pay for the Hd. Coaching position...

The one thing I think many people forget is that at any level of coaching the public feels as if they know "everything" that is going on with the program..."My son told me....I heard one of the coaches said this....etc".....If you have been a coach you truly know what goes on inside and the ups and downs of running a competitive programs...Its tough.....However coaches also know that while signing that coaching contract they can come under harsh public critiques and school boards are elected to support those same citizens...

All in all go look at how many people actually voted for school board over the past years compared to how many people show up at a football game in the PNGISD...Its sad...People want to complain but dont even vote for those making the "big decisions".....

I hear lots of people talk about change but do nothing about it.  VOTE that is the only way to get change and if you don't get out and vote then people need to quit complaining.

These decisions are always difficult---but there is no need to make a public circus out of it

Things are handled no different that they ever have been. This has all started because the school board put "Discuss the duties and responsibilities of the HS Head Coach" on their agenda. That's a normal process. The school board meeting agendas have always been accessable to anyone but the difference you're noticing now is with the internet and boards like this the info is getting out to more people than ever before.

Also, with Matt Burnett being one of the more tenured coaches in the area at popular school, news will spread. Noone really knows what going to happen except, the school board, the sup, & maybe MB. Its not a circus just a bunch of internet posting know it all's like us talking about it.  ;)

These decisions are always difficult---but there is no need to make a public circus out of it

Things are handled no different that they ever have been. This has all started because the school board put "Discuss the duties and responsibilities of the HS Head Coach" on their agenda. That's a normal process. The school board meeting agendas have always been accessable to anyone but the difference you're noticing now is with the internet and boards like this the info is getting out to more people than ever before.

Also, with Matt Burnett being one of the more tenured coaches in the area at popular school, news will spread. Noone really knows what going to happen except, the school board, the sup, & maybe MB. Its not a circus just a bunch of internet posting know it all's like us talking about it.  ;)

Believe me I know all about the process. The first mistake was in mentioning the Head Coach on the agenda. They should have listed it as "personnel"--simply because once this kind of speculation gets started the most likely outcome is a public trial of the person involved and a split community---regrardless if the man is the problem or not.

New Beginning....Hiring a new OC would have needed to happen previously and no action was taken....I think we will see a decision that allows a new guy to come in with the new staff....Which he in turn (i hope) would evaluate the staff (obviously they ould bring an OC/DC) with them.....But evaluate the rest of the staff to see who fits his mold....

Interesting to say the least.....

Guest Silsbee88

The board should not be involved in the evaluation, reassignment or discipline of any AD, HC, coach or professional educator for that matter.  That is the superintendent's job :o.  The only employee of the district that answers to the school board is the super.  The only time the board gets involved is if the employee files a grievence with the district and appeals to the board for resolution.

The board should not be involved in the evaluation, reassignment or discipline of any AD, HC, coach or professional educator for that matter.  That is the superintendent's job :o.  The only employee of the district that answers to the school board is the super.  The only time the board gets involved is if the employee files a grievence with the district and appeals to the board for resolution.

Most, if not all Boards are involved in personnel discussions--they are done in closed session and should not be leaked to the public under any circumstances---personnel can be placed on the agenda by the sup or any board member---while the sup makes the final call on any particular situatuation he/she takes the chance of "going down with the ship"

You are exactly right.  The one and only person that a school board can hire or fire legally is the superintendent. 

That's why I have been saying this had more to do with the fight than Burnett's job. Coming from you, Silsbee88, just reassures how I knew how the system worked. I am married to an educator of 19 years and she has "educated" me quite a few things over these 19 years as to how the school systems work.

If this particular school board is acting in this manner, they are not doing their jobs correctly. This sounds of a couple of board members personal agenda. ;)

Guest Silsbee88

Most, if not all Boards are involved in personnel discussions--they are done in closed session and should not be leaked to the public under any circumstances---personnel can be placed on the agenda by the sup or any board member---while the sup makes the final call on any particular situatuation he/she takes the chance of "going down with the ship"

I think if you read my post it states the board should not be involved in the evaluation, reassignment or discipline.  I did not state that a board member cannot have personnel placed on the agenda and discuss concerns with the superintendent in closed session.  However, as I stated and you agreed with the final decision in the sups.  And yes, the sup will answer for their decision to the board

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    yielder
    Newest Member
    yielder