SOmetimes it's not about winning!

Last night the Evadale JV played the Anahuac Freshman Team.

This was the second time these two teams have played this year. It was a hard fought contest with plenty of hitting. The Rebels won 30 to 6, but for a moment in time a couple of special athletes shined brighter than the game.

Each team has a player who is "special", I know all of the guys are special to someone, but I think you understand what my description means. I won't mention their names, but if you know Evadale and Anahuac, you know the two boys I am talking about.

The coaches met before the game and arranged a couple of special events. With just over a minute left and the outcome having been decided. The Rebels lined up and ran a play with full announcing and the pursuit of the Panthers the Rebel scored from about 50 yards out. The Rebels and even a few Panthers were in the end zone to congratulate their teammate. Then it was the young man from Anahuac who got the chance. The Panthers snapped the ball at about their 40 and around the right side the special running back started. With a convoy of teammates and the PA announcer doing an impression of ESPN's Chris Berman say "He could go all the way!!!!!" The young man took it over for the touchdown.

It was a glorious moment for both boys and their teammates. After the teams huddled with their respective coaches out on the field and people began to filter out. The Panthers finished their huddle and the young man from Anahuac made a dash towards the Rebels sidelines and told everyone still in the stands, "See you next time!"

The sayings about 2nd place is first loser and that winning is everything can take a back seat on occasion as we teach a different lesson that it is always OK to do the right thing. There will be hundreds of touchdowns scored this weekend. Those will be scored by some terrific athletes as well as some average one, but you would be hard pressed to find two more "special" touchdowns this or any week.

Thanks to the coaches from Evadale and Anahuac for a shining moment in time that will truly leave a mark on a couple of boys, a couple of families and a couple of communities.

This is an outstanding expression of compassion and brotherly love.  Those two players will always be remembered by the young men on the field.  Each team worked together to make it an exciting moment for the lives of two young men and their families.  I wish I could have been there to see it.

Good Luck tonight Rebels!!! 

I wish I could have been there to see that. All of the players coaches and both communities should be very proud, not only of the two young men that were able to score but proud of themselves as well. There was a great lesson taught on that field that had absolutely nothing to do with football. What a great story. Thanks for sharing it.

Another awesome thing to read on this site today (the other being what Chester is doing for High Island) besides who is going to beat who and who is talking trash about someone else.  Wish I could have seen that.  It brings a smile to my face and a tear to my eye to know that there is still some compassion in the world.  my deepest congratulations to the coaches of both schools.  Something like this puts a lot of things in the world in perspective.

You play to win the game!  Hello!  You don't just play it. 

- Herm Edwards

You just don't get it do you?  But thats ok I realize that in the bigger schools yall prob would even let them try to be on the team but at smaller schools things are done a bit different.  They still want to win but they take the time to include everyone!!

Soulja,

You are classless, even when you found out what the post was and realixed what you posted you are still being a smart a@@.  I can't believe they let someone like you even have the right to post onn this site, much less be a moderator.  You could never be more that what you are a spectator, because you obviously don't have a love for kids to say something like that and then back it up with  "I'm so sorry if I hurt some on your grown men's feelings..." .  To sum it up you just have no class period.

Ok sunshine.  Go back and look at my other posts about the kid that got hurt and is in the Hospital now. 

But if you want to call me classless, it's cool.  You like it, I love it.

To let everyone know we did locate video and we will make it available to the local stations hopefully next week. I too believe it is about the kids and I can assure you that the young man from Evadale has yet to have his feet touch the floor, I can only imagine the same for the young man from Anahuac.

Guys come on this is a game. I love it, you love it and there are some guys making a fortune playing it for their living, but it is still a game. And at this level where there are no playoff implications, college scholarships or professional contracts riding in the balance, could we just be excited about a couple of guys getting a great thrill in their life!

To let everyone know we did locate video and we will make it available to the local stations hopefully next week. I too believe it is about the kids and I can assure you that the young man from Evadale has yet to have his feet touch the floor, I can only imagine the same for the young man from Anahuac.

Guys come on this is a game. I love it, you love it and there are some guys making a fortune playing it for their living, but it is still a game. And at this level where there are no playoff implications, college scholarships or professional contracts riding in the balance, could we just be excited about a couple of guys getting a great thrill in their life!

Well said...

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    yielder
    Newest Member
    yielder