*WO-S vs. LC-M/48-7 WO-S Wins/Comments*

KFDM COOP

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Believe it or not, the score was waaaaaaaay closer than the game. LC had one pass for about 25 and an 11 yard run. Other than that, they were falling and losing yardage trying to not lose by too much. I'm eager to see the stats, because I'm willing to bet we had more penalty yardage (RIDICULOUS) than they had offense. The score should have been 62-0, but I'll certainly take 48-7 against anyone anyday. It's gonna be a long year for the Bears, as their defense only stopped us once (fumbled at the goal line) and their offense could do literally nothing without the help of some incredibly flag-happy refs.

At one point, the bears had driven about 60 yards on pass interference calls almost exclusively. Their crowd was going nuts despite their ineptitude on offense, and the refs seemed to be doing everything they could to give pity points. Then we picked off a third down pass and took it about 70 for a TD. Beautiful.

Way to go, Stangs.

Guest WeedBegone

Believe it or not, the score was waaaaaaaay closer than the game. LC had one pass for about 25 and an 11 yard run. Other than that, they were falling and losing yardage trying to not lose by too much. I'm eager to see the stats, because I'm willing to bet we had more penalty yardage (RIDICULOUS) than they had offense. The score should have been 62-0, but I'll certainly take 48-7 against anyone anyday. It's gonna be a long year for the Bears, as their defense only stopped us once (fumbled at the goal line) and their offense could do literally nothing without the help of some incredibly flag-happy refs.

At one point, the bears had driven about 60 yards on pass interference calls almost exclusively. Their crowd was going nuts despite their ineptitude on offense, and the refs seemed to be doing everything they could to give pity points. Then we picked off a third down pass and took it about 70 for a TD. Beautiful.

Way to go, Stangs.

Tell us how you really feel.  Great public relations post.  ::)

Orange Bowl goes to 'Stangs, 48-7

Van Wade

The Orange Leader

WEST ORANGE — Utilizing a big-play passing game in the first half, the West Orange-Stark Mustangs had no problems picking apart Little Cypress-Mauriceville, winning the Orange Bowl at Dan R. Hooks Stadium 48-7 Saturday night.

Mustang senior quarterback Ortavious Hypolite completed 3-of-3 passes for a whopping 150 yards and two touchdowns in the first 24 minutes and ran for an 86-yard touchdown in the third period to power the Mustang attack.

The Mustangs (2-0) totaled 365 yards of total offense and also brought back an interception and a punt back for scores.

The WO-S “Chain Gang†defense limited the Bears to 111 total yards, including just 34 in the second half as a young LC-M (0-1) unit was playing their first game of the season.

“Our kids gave a tremendous effort,†said Mustang head coach Dan Hooks. “We big-played the Bears early. It seemed like all of our scores were big plays tonight. Our defense was just outstanding. The only bad thing about the game was its sloppiness. We had way too many turnovers and penalties and I bet Coach (Todd) Moody feels the same way.â€

LC-M coach Todd Moody was glad the Bears got their first game under their belts.

“It was a tough game for our kids but I can’t fault their effort tonight,†said Moody. “We played a great football team tonight, no doubt about it. We’re such a young team and this experience is only going to make us better. Sure, we wanted to have a better performance tonight, but they learned a lot and I think they’ll regroup for next week.â€

On the very first play from scrimmage Hypolite spotted a wide open Trey Franks on a 62-yard scoring bomb across the middle, giving the Mustangs a 7-0 lead with 11:43 left in the first period.

“That play definitely set the tone for the rest of the night,†said Hooks. “Hypolite had a tremendous night. He threw the ball much better than he did in the Nederland game. He also showed he had a little speed with that big run in the third period.â€

On their second series, the Mustangs used six plays to navigate 49 yards to go up 14-0. WO-S netted all of its yards on the ground and Quintavious Garrett capped it with a 2-yard blast off right tackle with 6:14 left in the first.

The Bears took advantage of three Mustang penalties on third down, 32 yards worth, as they drove 72 yards in 11 plays to get on the scoreboard. The Mustangs, flagged 10 times for 112 yards, received two personal foul calls and a defensive holding penalty to keep the Bear drive alive. It appeared that the Mustangs blocked a 27-yard field goal attempt by Gregg Gravett but were called for a personal foul. The Bears got the ball at the Mustang 3 and three plays later Ethan Sonnier sprinted his way around left end for a 2-yard touchdown to draw the Bears to within 14-7 with 11:10 left in the half as LC-M ate off seven minutes of the clock.

The Mustangs struck with a flurry when Hypolite hit receiver Josh Gloston on a short swing pass to the left and sprinter Gloston was off to the races, going 50 yards to the end zone to make it 21-7 with 10:12 left in the half.

The Bears moved from their own 15 all the way down to the Mustang 32 on the next series but Mustang linebacker Robert Jiles picked off LC-M sophomore quarterback Hunter Gonzales at the 29 and returned it 71 yards for the score to make it 28-7 with 4:52 left in the half.

WO-S drove all the way down to the LC-M 1 with 0:27 left but Garrett fumbled right before he dove into the end zone.

The Mustangs ran just 15 plays in the first half, gaining 201 yards while the Bears ran 30 plays for 77 yards.

Hypolite proved he had plenty of leg in him when the lanky QB took a keeper 86 yards for a touchdown, outjuking a Bear defender at the 50 and zipping the rest of the way, making it 35-7 with 6:22 left in the third.

Hypolite engineered a six-play, 66-yard touchdown march late in the third and threw his third touchdown pass of the night when he connected with Matthew Provost on a pass along the right gap and Provost bulled his way past a Bear near the 4 and barreled his way into the end zone to push the margin to 42-7 with 2:27 left in the third.

After electrifying the crowd on the first play of the game, Franks, who had 2 catches for 100 yards, dazzled them again on the first play of the fourth quarter by taking a Bear punt at the Mustang 33 and taking it 67 yards to paydirt along the right sideline, upping the lead to 48-7 with 11:51 remaining.

Gonzales proved his mettle in his first varsity start, completing 5-of-13 passes for 56 yards while rushing for 18. Ethan Sonnier led the LC-M ground game with 22 yards on 13 carries. Samuel Burton had two catches for 29 yards.

Hypolite had 109 yards rushing on just three carries while Gloston had two receptions for 67 yards.

The Mustangs will travel to Kirbyville in another non-district battle next week while LC-M visits Bridge City (1-1), which fell to Kountze 38-36 Saturday.

“Kirbyville will be a nice test for our kids,†said Hooks. “We’ve got them and Jasper next, two good games to have before district starts.â€

Moody thinks the Bears will bounce back at Larry Ward Stadium next week.

“It should be another good game with two Orange County teams involved,†said Moody. “ Coach (Cris) Stump will have the Cardinals ready and our kids will be hungry too. It should be a good test for both teams.â€

WO-S 48

LC-M 7

WO-S14 14 14 6 — 48

LC-M 0 7 0 0 — 7

Scoring summary

WO-S — Trey Franks 62 pass from Ortavious Hypolite. Justin Sparrow kick.

WO-S — Quintavious Garrett 2 run. Sparrow kick.

LC-M — Ethan Sonnier 2 run. Gregg Gravett kick.

WO-S — Josh Gloston 50 pass from Hypolite. Sparrow kick.

WO-S — Robert Jiles 71 interception return. Sparrow kick.

WO-S — Hypolite 86 run. Sparrow kick.

WO-S — Matthew Provost 16 pass from Hypolite. Sparrow kick.

WO-S — Franks 67 punt return. Kick failed/

———

WO-S LC-M

First downs 16 10

Rushes-yards 22-173 37-55

Passing 192 56

Comp-Att-Int 6-10-0 5-13-1

Fumbles-Lost 3-3 3-3

Penalties-Yards 10-112 7-71

———

INDIVIDUAL STATISTICS

RUSHING—WO-S, Hypolite 3-109, Garrett 9-39, James Haynes 3-19, Kevin Robinson 4-16, Earnest Williams 1-8, Darius Robinson 1-(-2), Gloston 1-(-6); LC-M, Ethan Sonnier 13-22, Hunter Gonzales 9-18, Tevvin Jones 9-18, Jeremy Chauvin 1-1, Blake Perry 4-(-2), Howard Griffith 1-(-2).

PASSING— WO-S, Hypolite 6-7-0-192, Reggie Garrett 0-3-0 0. LC-M, Gonzales 5-13-1-56.

RECEIVING—WO-S, Franks 2-100, Gloston 2-67, Provost 1-16, Adrian Steen 1-9;, LC-M, Samuel Burton 2-29, Zack Sonnier 1-18, Ethan Sonnier 2-9.

print this story  email this story  comment on this story 

• Click to discuss this story with other readers on our forums.

Guest GoStangs
I'm eager to see the stats, because I'm willing to bet we had more penalty yardage (RIDICULOUS) than they had offense.

Good call, 92!

The WO-S “Chain Gang†defense limited the Bears to 111 total yards, including just 34 in the second half as a young LC-M (0-1) unit was playing their first game of the season.

The Mustangs, flagged 10 times for 112 yards...

Guest GoStangs

Uh, I thought Moody cancelled this game.  Or am I misunderstanding what I was reading?

You're right.  He cancelled it, then he cancelled his decision to cancel...

Well the only thing that i saw that looked somewhat good for lcm was there qb...he is only a sophmore but i can see him being very good by the end of the year. He just needs to mature and maybe get some weapons to throw at.

Dont really understand lcm play calling but its been the same for the past 15 years...run run pass punt.

Way to go, Stangs.

Whaaaa,whaaa,whaaaa.  Shoulda coulda woulda.  Score was 48-7.  Sorry you couldnt win 100-0.  The Bear fans were just cheering for their team.  No doubt the Mustangs dominated the game.  Just take the win.  You should be more worried about the penalties and turnovers.  I am sure that will get taken care of by the coaches because those kind of mistakes will get you beat when you make your playoff run.  Anyway,  good luck to the Mustangs who have a very talented team.

Way to go, Stangs.

Whaaaa,whaaa,whaaaa.  Shoulda coulda woulda.  Score was 48-7.  Sorry you couldnt win 100-0.  The Bear fans were just cheering for their team.  No doubt the Mustangs dominated the game.  Just take the win.   You should be more worried about the penalties and turnovers.  I am sure that will get taken care of by the coaches because those kind of mistakes will get you beat when you make your playoff run.  Anyway,  good luck to the Mustangs who have a very talented team.

Thanks G n B!

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    yielder
    Newest Member
    yielder