Scrimmages....... win or lose? NOT!!!

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest band of brothers

Attention Setxsports shoppers, nobody wins or loses scrimmages. I repeat, nobody wins or loses scrimmages.

Now back to your regular programming.

I agree! But for goodness sake,  don't let  the other team rip you apart too bad!

second the motion!

Attention Setxsports shoppers, nobody wins or loses scrimmages. I repeat, nobody wins or loses scrimmages.

Now back to your regular programming.

I agree! But for goodness sake,  don't let  the other team rip you apart too bad!

second the motion!

could not dissagree more---even in a game of marbles you always play to win

A scrimmage is nothing more than a practice to see where you stand. I am sure that coaches try things in scrimmages that would not be tried in the same situation if it was a district game on the line. That is what scrimmages are for which is practice.

I would rather my team kick another team all over the field in a scrimmage and look good to show that they are making progress and yet "lose" the scrimmage than to get lucky and "win" by a touchdown because of a fumble but my team got shoved all over the field. In the regular season if my team has negative yards of offense but wins on an interception run back, great. In a scrimmage where you are trying to see what works and what doesn't, that same scenario means we have a lot of work to do with little time left to do it.

I couldn't agree with Aggie more!  Scrimmages are good to get the kids used to hitting other people, but their mainly for the coaches to evaluate players.  I would say that a scrimmage is more for the players that haven't won a spot yet, than for the first string guy's.  I know I hated playing in them, I just couldn't get fired up about playing a fake game.  I don't know how you guy's can go watch em.  I've seen two in 10 years, and both times, I was about as bored as I've ever been, and I love football.  Anyway, I just don't think you can base how good or bad your team is going to be, from the score of a scrimmage.  I just think we take them way to serious as fans.

Just my opinion.

Anyway, I just don't think you can base how good or bad your team is going to be, from the score of a scrimmage.  I just think we take them way to serious as fans.

Just my opinion.

No way, you've got it all wrong. If WO-S goes 15-0 this season and wins state but is outscored in their scrimmage this week, their record will show 15-1.

Now that I am finished being sarcastic, I agree with you bh34.

Controlled scrimmage and game type scrimmage are two different things. If you would have seen the scrimmage between WOS and Dayton at every level(Freshman thru Varsity) last week, you would have seen a game. No, the score doesn't go on your record but there was a winner and a loser. The effort that both teams put out wasn't simply to try out new schemes or formations. Those boys were playing to win, it has nothing to do with records and everything to do with pride.

Yeah, I would rather "win" if I was just racing you to see who answers the phone first. If I was in practice, I would rather "win" while blocking you during drills. When watching game shows on television, I would rather yell out the correct answer before someone else beats me to it. It is still meaningless in a scrimmage.

Controlled scrimmage and game type scrimmage are two different things. If you would have seen the scrimmage between WOS and Dayton at every level(Freshman thru Varsity) last week, you would have seen a game. No, the score doesn't go on your record but there was a winner and a loser. The effort that both teams put out wasn't simply to try out new schemes or formations. Those boys were playing to win, it has nothing to do with records and everything to do with pride.

Very good point.

You try different things and different kids in different positions, but you are still playing to win. The coaches are playing to win and the fans who claim it doesn't matter are just trying to make themselves feel better. WOS got their butts kicked, but no one is here saying it doesn't matter. Oh heck yeah it matters, glad we won't be playing Dayton this year when it counts. No, it does not count on your record, but it IS an indication of where your team is and how they are progressing. So, yeah, it matters and their ARE winners and losers whether it shows on your record or not.

I guess my point is, if you want to claim a "win" in a scrimmage when the only score came when your third team defense picked up a fumble and ran it in on their third team offense, then so be it. We all know that in a real game, none of those players would see the field in a tightly contested game. ::)

Get real. It's just a scrimmage for crying out loud. Like I posted on another thread, I'll take a "fluke" win in a real game every day over dominating someone in a scrimmage.

Verily I say unto you all...

JUST PRACTICE!!!!!  You sound like A.I.!!!  Practice builds champions... and REAL champions practice like its game time... If TO can practice as hard as he does then High Schoolers should practice even hard than that!  And Every practice should be treated like its GAME TIME!!!!!

In the famous words of Rickey Bobbit, "If you aint first you're last!"

JUST PRACTICE!!!!!  You sound like A.I.!!!  Practice builds champions... and REAL champions practice like its game time... If TO can practice as hard as he does then High Schoolers should practice even hard than that!  And Every practice should be treated like its GAME TIME!!!!!

I am not debating the fact that you should practice hard or play hard in these scrimmages. You should always do that. I agree, it builds champions. But my point is the fact that some fans want to hang their hat on a scrimmage "win" or "loss". Too many variables go on during a scrimmage that would not give an accurate account to some team winning or losing. If team A scores 3 times and team B scores 2 times then all that means is team A had better results, no win or loss. It's just that simple.

I am not debating the fact that you should practice hard or play hard in these scrimmages. You should always do that. I agree, it builds champions. But my point is the fact that some fans want to hang their hat on a scrimmage "win" or "loss". Too many variables go on during a scrimmage that would not give an accurate account to some team winning or losing. If team A scores 3 times and team B scores 2 times then all that means is team A had better results, no win or loss. It's just that simple.

Sure are a lot of semantics going on here. The problem I have, and others do to, is that those fans from teams who lose always try to downplay a scrimmage when they lose. Scrimmages ARE an indication of where your team is, like it or not. Those people who come on here and say, "well, they were trying to win and we were just practicing" it's just a bunch of BS. They are trying to make themselves feel better about getting pushed around, whether you want to call it a loss or "having lesser results", it's all the same to me. Does that mean your team will have a bad year... no. It shows you where you need to improve and that's why you do it and you can't know that these areas need improving if you weren't giving a winning effort or the same effort that your opponent was giving. If you were giving less, then what would be the point of scrimmaging?

Like I said, the question wasn't about someone giving more effort than the other. But for someone to tell me that team A "lost" a scrimmage to team B when team A's 1st team out scores team B's 1st team, let's say, 5-1 in dominating fashion, but team B's second and third teams outscore team A's second and third teams 6-1, that's crazy. Scrimmages are about how you perform, not the score. 

Like I said, the question wasn't about someone giving more effort than the other. But for someone to tell me that team A "lost" a scrimmage to team B when team A's 1st team out scores team B's 1st team, let's say, 5-1 in dominating fashion, but team B's second and third teams outscore team A's second and third teams 6-1, that's crazy. Scrimmages are about how you perform, not the score. 

In that case no it doesn't matter, my point is the first half at least come this sat. will be about as real as it gets without it counting on your record. We will all know who the better team is Dayton or Lumberton in 2008 after the first half Sat. As a fan I want to know and so does everyone else.  :)

In that case no it doesn't matter, my point is the first half at least come this sat. will be about as real as it gets without it counting on your record. We will all know who the better team is Dayton or Lumberton in 2008 after the first half Sat. As a fan I want to know and so does everyone else.  :)

I can reasonably agree with that comment. But, it has no bearing on who was the better team when these two teams met last year in a real game.

Guest Kelly Football

If it's a 4 Quarter game scrimmage this week and Dayton has their starters in place it won't take long this week to see who the better team is.

CHURCH! TABERNACLE! SANCTUARY!  iT IS ALL WAR!

battle176.gif

I can reasonably agree with that comment. But, it has no bearing on who was the better team when these two teams met last year in a real game.

I agree, no bearing on last year but thats what rematches are for, a little satisfaction hopefully.

Guest WeedBegone

Hey--is this a practice thread for smackers--if so, you guys can do better than that.  So far some of you are really inhaling. 

If the field is marked and the referrees have whistles--its a game !! If you win then it counts--if you loose--call it a do-over!! ;D

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    yielder
    Newest Member
    yielder