Scrimmages....... win or lose? NOT!!!

I don't normally disagree with you, Gas, but I think the coaches prepared to scrimmage....I know, I know, they want to win, I know that.  However, they prepared to coach the kids during the scrimmage; they did not expect to be "outcoached" in a scrimmage because the other side watched game films.

I agree with you. I am not saying that they are preparing to win a scrimmage, I know they don't watch films and scout the other team. I'm saying that the outcome is important. Not on your record, but on how your team has progressed. If it were just practice then why go thru the trouble of arranging and playing them in all kinds of conditions like we have the last few weeks. If the outcome doesn't matter, then why do it at all? Why risk having players injured? It's because coaches need to see how they stack up against someone else and how they perform against that team matters, it matters a lot.

See Gasilla, this is what I have been talking about all along. It matters how the team performs, not if they "win" or "lose" the scrimmage.

I agree with that, I am just glad we out performed Lumberton.  ;D

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't normally disagree with you, Gas, but I think the coaches prepared to scrimmage....I know, I know, they want to win, I know that.  However, they prepared to coach the kids during the scrimmage; they did not expect to be "outcoached" in a scrimmage because the other side watched game films.

I agree with you. I am not saying that they are preparing to win a scrimmage, I know they don't watch films and scout the other team. I'm saying that the outcome is important. Not on your record, but on how your team has progressed. If it were just practice then why go thru the trouble of arranging and playing them in all kinds of conditions like we have the last few weeks. If the outcome doesn't matter, then why do it at all? Why risk having players injured? It's because coaches need to see how they stack up against someone else and how they perform against that team matters, it matters a lot.

See Gasilla, this is what I have been talking about all along. It matters how the team performs, not if they "win" or "lose" the scrimmage.

I said a long time ago there are alot of semantics involved here... win, lose, outperform, underperform, what's the difference? It's the same thing. Just like people saying a scrimmage is just practice... BS... you are playing a game, or competing against another team where the result is tracked and yes, I've not seen a single scrimmage so far where no one kept score. Why? Because that is how you track success (or outperforming or underperforming if you like). When you keep score, there is a winner and a loser. I've never heard of someone scoring less points and tying or winning, have you? The result does matter whether it counts toward your record or not, it shows where you are at, at this point. It does not mean that you are going to have a bad season, just that you aren't as good as the team you are playing at that point. Again, that's the whole reason for them, to see how you stack up against the competition.

All of that has nothing to do with my post to Stangchain, she was saying that the WOS coaches do not game plan to win a scrimmage, and they don't, but whether they win or lose that scrimmage is important to them.

I said a long time ago there are alot of semantics involved here... win, lose, outperform, underperform, what's the difference? It's the same thing. Just like people saying a scrimmage is just practice... BS... you are playing a game, or competing against another team where the result is tracked and yes, I've not seen a single scrimmage so far where no one kept score. Why? Because that is how you track success (or outperforming or underperforming if you like). When you keep score, there is a winner and a loser. I've never heard of someone scoring less points and tying or winning, have you? The result does matter whether it counts toward your record or not, it shows where you are at, at this point. It does not mean that you are going to have a bad season, just that you aren't as good as the team you are playing at that point. Again, that's the whole reason for them, to see how you stack up against the competition.

All of that has nothing to do with my post to Stangchain, she was saying that the WOS coaches do not game plan to win a scrimmage, and they don't, but whether they win or lose that scrimmage is important to them.

I will assume that you are speaking for yourself on this matter, Gasilla, and not for the WOS coaches. I find it hard to believe that the Mustang coaches consider "winning" a scrimmage the most important over how well or poor they perform in that scrimmage. An example being for the Mustangs starters to not score on another teams 1st team, the Chain Gang defense give up 2 td's, but WOS score 4 td's on the other team's complete 2nd and 3rd teams, therefore "winning" the scrimmage.(assuming you are right about the Mustangs not having a 2nd team, just some reserve players)

p.s. I think this proverbial dead horse(mustang) ;D, is still kicking. That's why I am still beating it. ;D

I will assume that you are speaking for yourself on this matter, Gasilla, and not for the WOS coaches. I find it hard to believe that the Mustang coaches consider "winning" a scrimmage the most important over how well or poor they perform in that scrimmage. An example being for the Mustangs starters to not score on another teams 1st team, the Chain Gang defense give up 2 td's, but WOS score 4 td's on the other team's complete 2nd and 3rd teams, therefore "winning" the scrimmage.(assuming you are right about the Mustangs not having a 2nd team, just some reserve players)

p.s. I think this proverbial dead horse(mustang) ;D, is still kicking. That's why I am still beating it. ;D

Of course, this is my opinion, just as yours, is yours. I've never polled our coaches about how they feel particularly about scrimmages, but I did play for a couple of them so I DO have a clue. As for scoring against second and third teams, I can only tell you that I've been to every scrimmage we have had in the last 4 or 5 years and, in that span, I have not seen another team put in a second or third team. I've seen a back up or two, but never an entire platoon (as I've said before). Friday, against vidor, they kept their first team in the entire game with some subs rotating in here and there (just like they would in a real game). It was that way for BOTH of us because BOTH teams wanted to WIN.

I think the problem here is that your not very realistic on how these things work.  ;)

Of course, this is my opinion, just as yours, is yours. I've never polled our coaches about how they feel particularly about scrimmages, but I did play for a couple of them so I DO have a clue. As for scoring against second and third teams, I can only tell you that I've been to every scrimmage we have had in the last 4 or 5 years and, in that span, I have not seen another team put in a second or third team. I've seen a back up or two, but never an entire platoon (as I've said before). Friday, against vidor, they kept their first team in the entire game with some subs rotating in here and there (just like they would in a real game). It was that way for BOTH of us because BOTH teams wanted to WIN.

I think the problem here is that your not very realistic on how these things work;)

Well I have been to many a scrimmage myself, mostly Silsbee. But I have seen my Tigers 2 platoon for many years. I went to the Jasper/Nederland scrimmage and for the most part, both teams had 1st and 2nd teams. I admit that they may not have been complete 11 different players, but I saw at least 8-10 different players going from 1st to 2nd team. Just because WOS doesn't have enough to 2 platoon, don't assume that others don't do it in scrimmage games.

I think the problem here is that your not very realistic on how these things work;)

Well I have been to many a scrimmage myself, mostly Silsbee. But I have seen my Tigers 2 platoon for many years. I went to the Jasper/Nederland scrimmage and for the most part, both teams had 1st and 2nd teams. I admit that they may not have been complete 11 different players, but I saw at least 8-10 different players going from 1st to 2nd team. Just because WOS doesn't have enough to 2 platoon, don't assume that others don't do it in scrimmage games.

That's funny, because I was also atr the Jasper/Ned scrimmage, I didn't see wholesale changes. The Jasper QB sat the entire second half, but most of the offense remained the same with the exception of a few rotating in (which they will do in games). The same with Nederland.

Just because WOS doesn't have enough to 2 platoon, don't assume that others don't do it in scrimmage games.

Ahh yes... the patented Aggies Are We shot at WOS. You so love to do that don't you? Why is it you so loath WOS?

I also find it funny that, all of the sudden, they are scrimmage "games". I thought they were, "just practice"?

Finally(and this is it for me, I'm sure folks are bored with reading this), WOS wasn't the only team involved in these scrimmages over the last 4 years where wholesale substitutions didn't occur. So, I wonder why the other team didn't platoon? Maybe, because they wanted to WIN the scrimmage... ;)

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Ryzxed
    Newest Member
    Ryzxed