Steriods in High school Football

bevo

With 22 players on the field. How many would you guess were taking steriods.  

35 members have voted

1. 1. With 22 players on the field. How many would you guess were taking steriods.

• 5 are more

I know that when I played back in the stone ages that when I got to college the players on my team told me that they all had been on steroids for a couple of years and so were, in some cases, close to half of their teammates.

The way we stop it is that unlike the pro athletes who can afford to keep taking stuff that can not be tested for, most high school athletes are taking stuff that can be found. I say that you make all students in all extra curricular activities take mandatory drug tests and at any time they are found positive they lose the ability to compete within that season.

For example, let us say that Johnny Smith takes a cycle of steroids and when the season starts up he is tested and fails. Johnny stays ineligible until basketball season at least and he is required to be tested periodically during the remainder of the school year. I say we do it for all drugs not just steroids.

But of course this will cost millions of dollars and no school district can afford to do it to the extent that it needs to be done to actually nip it in the bud.

I may be naive on this subject cause its been quite a few years since I was in school but it doesn't seem like there would be many kids at all in a 3a school on steriods. I would say that if you had more than 1 it would be out of the norm.

I may be naive on this subject cause its been quite a few years since I was in school but it doesn't seem like there would be many kids at all in a 3a school on steriods. I would say that if you had more than 1 it would be out of the norm.

I would have to say the exact opposite.  It would be more like if you didn't have more then one. That would be out of the norm.

I may be naive on this subject cause its been quite a few years since I was in school but it doesn't seem like there would be many kids at all in a 3a school on steroids. I would say that if you had more than 1 it would be out of the norm.

It depends on the school. It has much to do with money and the kids being able to afford it. More affluent schools it will be worse than at the less affluent schools.

I may be naive on this subject cause its been quite a few years since I was in school but it doesn't seem like there would be many kids at all in a 3a school on steroids. I would say that if you had more than 1 it would be out of the norm.

It depends on the school. It has much to do with money and the kids being able to afford it. More affluent schools it will be worse than at the less affluent schools.

I disagree. If the kids at the less affluent schools can find a way to buy their alcohol, marijuana, crack, etc., surely they can find a way to buy roids. 

I disagree. If the kids at the less affluent schools can find a way to buy their alcohol, marijuana, crack, etc., surely they can find a way to buy roids. 

I guess we'll see won't we? We'll see who's kids get busted for it and who's don't. OR who's program goes down the pooper because they aren't doing them anymore out of fear of getting caught. In about 3 years the smoke will begin to clear. ;) When you see some of these perenial playoff teams start to disappear from the radar, you'll know why. Then there will be some who are still right where they always were.

I had a coach friend of mine tell me that a couple of years after a particular class of kids he had coached had graduated he ran into one of them at a store. The former player precedes to tell him that something like 5-7 of the starters on that squad were either on steroids the whole year, or were taking other drugs like speed, etc. before the games.

It floored him. Drugs are not just a big city problem anymore. You can not throw a rock without having hit a kid who has tried some illegal substance. It is just a relflection on our entire society as a whole. Do what it takes to get the job done, worry about the costs and consequences later.

I had a coach friend of mine tell me that a couple of years after a particular class of kids he had coached had graduated he ran into one of them at a store. The former player precedes to tell him that something like 5-7 of the starters on that squad were either on steroids the whole year, or were taking other drugs like speed, etc. before the games.

It floored him. Drugs are not just a big city problem anymore. You can not throw a rock without having hit a kid who has tried some illegal substance. It is just a relflection on our entire society as a whole. Do what it takes to get the job done, worry about the costs and consequences later.

You have hit the nail on the head. 

The really sad thing is that you have coaches who are having to keep their jobs based on what a bunch of 14-19 year old kids can do on a field so unfortunately some of them will turn a blind eye or deaf ear to this.

I respect the heck out of coaches who go above and beyond to try and keep this junk out of their programs, no matter what it ends up costing them personally or career wise.

obviously, due to simple math, the bigger schools with more players will have more kids using steroids.  also, at the smaller schools, it would be harder for a player to use steroids without someone finding out.  I played for a 3A school and graduated in 2001, and i didn't know of any of my teammates who used.  obviously, there had to have been a few, but it certainly wasn't a widespread problem.  i did hear about several baseball players using steroids, but as i didn't play baseball, i don't know that to be a fact. 

obviously, due to simple math, the bigger schools with more players will have more kids using steroids.  also, at the smaller schools, it would be harder for a player to use steroids without someone finding out.  I played for a 3A school and graduated in 2001, and i didn't know of any of my teammates who used.  obviously, there had to have been a few, but it certainly wasn't a widespread problem.  i did hear about several baseball players using steroids, but as i didn't play baseball, i don't know that to be a fact. 

have to agree

Guest bleed orange

I think you guys are missing the big picture. I think school's should not just focus on the athlete and "Steroids" but all kid's and all the other drugs out there. I promise you there are more kids smoking pot, drinking alcohol or taking ecstasy then there are kid's doing steroids. Don't get me wrong, "Steroids" should be grouped with the others. The kids that are out of control or the ones that are overlooked and the athlete's are under a microscope. What's wrong with that picture. It should be the same for every single kid.

I agree with you wholeheartedly, Bleed Orange.  I said as much on the other thread about steroids.  They should test the entire school randomly and it should be all inclusive.  I think teachers and administration need to be included as well.  At the plants, they have random drug tests constantly.  In this day and age, everyone has to take a drug test before getting a job anyway, so why not start at the bottom with the testing?  Perhaps it will discourage some youth from ever getting started.

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    pngbaseball33
    Newest Member
    pngbaseball33