A little Info Please

I will be making my way down to Crystal Beach this next week and look to do as much fishing as i can.

What has the Storm done to the fishing??

Any fishing reports??

We will be doing mostly Bay fishing and want to know what is hot,,,Reefs,cuts, mud grass.etc...

May try some surf fishing during the day.

Any info i can get will be appreciated...

Thanks in advance

BucketSitR

I haven't heard a word, other than it's been too windy to fish.

Before the storm, it had been pretty good, when the wind wasn't blowing.

If your gonna fish bayside (I'm assuming from a boat otherwise your better off on beachside) follow the birds they'll bring you to the specks. Reds should be in full run right now. Gonna be windy though.

For the surf, go down towards the ferry landing, turn on Boyt Rd, which is opposite of the rd to Bolivar Yt Basin, turn towards the jetties, go to the 'washout' and fish either side. You will need to be early, or you can hit the beach anywhere in Chrystal and turn towards ferry, drive slow and look for 'nervous water' or birds. BTW don't forget to get your parking permit if your gonna stop anywhere on Bolivar Pen.

Thanks for the info.... Yes we will have our boat with us.. With the red run where is the best place to look, at the openings for the ICW or in some of the cuts?? We did find a good red hole last March in a cut around Rat Island? We have it GPS'd and are planning on hitting it. On Google Earth i have noticed a inlet cut between Stingree and Rollover... Any count???

As far as the "Washout" i think that i know where you are talking about. There is also a washout down the beach toward a Swanky gated community. Can't remember the name.. We stayed just west of it last year and i had a little luck fishing the edge of the dirty water... Thanks again, I think that i like this saltwater fishing almost as much as the crappie and catfishing on Rayburn...Just can't get there as often.

I will be checking for more info thru the weekend then Monday here we come!!!!!!!

BucketSitR

this weekend we killed the specs early wading on the bayside, and afterwards i helped my little cousins fill a cooler with croaker at rollover.  there were some guys fishing the rocks below the bridge there, and they hooked up a lot, but lost most of their fish and lures due to hangups. 

I think my friend and his family are getting a house on the bay side at Crystal... Besides the basic shrimp/squid, what artificial baits should we use if we want to have any success?

If the water is in fairly good shape, some top waters can really be fun around there. I even use some really big top water plugs. That is especially true on the beach side if you can catch the north wind laying the surf down, usually after these first few cold fronts start coming in. You can really get some big trout on top waters.

Sorry to get back to you so late but we didn't get home till late Sunday night and i had to catch up at work yesterday.  All in all we had a good time of fishing.. But had to wait for the lightining to get thru several times. We probably could have gotten on the bay several times but were unsure of getting caught trying to run back in.. We are learning the area more and more each trip and think we can navigate it better.. We caught all kinds of fish just not a lot of keepers. It is hard to throwback 18 and 19 inch reds.. Finally got one keeper and saw several big fish tailing early but could not hook up!!! Guess they don't like the kitchen sink being thrown their way!!!!!  We did go to Rollover one afternoon after a storm and caught croaker after croker, after croaker!! Do they eat good??? About dark the water changed and bait fish everywhere and started hooking up on specks, had alot of 13 inch throwbacks but got several keepers includind one that went 25.5,, it was a wow!!!  We will be back, sooner than later if us guys have any say!! Yea right!! Thinking about a new years run,, fishing any good??

BucketSitR

In my opinion, croaker are about the best inshore fish to eat(if you can catch them big enough to fool with)  The meat is firm and freezes well(unlike a speck).  I love to hit sabine in the fall and catch at least one good mess of croaker.

Yep. Out of all the saltwater fish that I have caught over the years, my mother wants to keep the croaker. If you can get into some of decent size, it is even better. They are the one inshore fish that are tasty enough to keep up with freshwater fish in my opinion.

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    hulmeyolmu
    Newest Member
    hulmeyolmu