Sharpshooting girl, 12, banned from boys team

Sharpshooting girl, 12, banned from boys team

BEAVERTON, Ore. — Jaime Nared is nearly 6-1 and blessed with Michael Jordan-style skills. In games, the 12-year-old can more than hold her own against the boys — dropping three-pointers and sometimes scoring 30 points or more.

And there, according to her coach, lies the problem.

She's so good, Michael Abraham said, she makes the boys look like scrubs. So she's been told she can no longer play on boys teams at The Hoop, a private Beaverton basketball facility that runs a league in which Abraham's teams compete.

The trouble started last month, when parents told The Hoop management they didn't like Jaime playing with the boys.

Hoop officials notified Abraham that Jaime, after years on one of his boys teams, was barred. They cited a rule, in a document coaches sign when they enter teams in the league, that prohibits mixed-gender teams.

"I never saw the rule," said Abraham, who has coached basketball, mostly girls and women's teams, for 32 years.

"If I'd known about it, I wouldn't have put any of my teams in the league. Besides, she's been playing on this team since second grade, and she plays on our team when we travel around the region. There's never been any problem in any event, not one word of complaint."

Neal Franzer, The Hoop's director of operations, said Thursday that parents were "adamant" that their complaints have nothing to do with Jaime's skills.

"They said the problem was the boys were playing differently against her because she was a girl," he said. "They'd been taught to not push a girl, so they weren't fouling her hard, and the focus had shifted from playing basketball to noticing a girl was on the floor with them."

Hoop officials e-mailed Abraham to remind him of the rules.

"The rule may not have been enforced in past years," Franzer said. "We have new management this year. It's policy, and we enforce policy."

Abraham, Jaime and her parents don't buy it. "I think the complaints come from parents who don't like seeing a girl that good playing against their sons," Abraham said.

Jaime, who said she "fell in love" with basketball when she was 8, likes the boys team because they play a fast-paced game.

"I think the boys on a specific team don't like me," she said. "It doesn't seem fair."

Jaime's mom, Reiko Williams, said the issue boiled over after a particular game.

"She scored 30 points," said Williams, who garnered national attention for her daughter's predicament Thursday after taking the story to the media. "I remember one play. She stole the ball, dribbled up court and made a behind-the-back pass to a teammate. He missed the lay-in, and she grabbed the rebound and put it in. I think it was just too much for some of those parents.

"The next day, she came home and said they wouldn't let her play with the boys anymore."

Abraham put Jaime on the boys team in the first place to both match her skills and keep her with peers. He has had her play on high school girls teams, but many travel and "her parents want her to be around kids her own age," Abraham said. "How much does she have in common with 18-year-old girls?"

And when she played on same-age girls teams?

"We beat one team 90-7," Abraham said. "At her level, it's like having Shaq on a high school team."

He said the boys on his team enjoyed playing with Jaime — among a handful of girls to play on his boys teams over the years — because she helped them improve.

"If she were 4-feet-9 and no good, we wouldn't be having this discussion," Abraham said. "To appease a small minority of parents, in this day and age, is stupid. This is a decision that really targets her. She's a well-adjusted kid who happens to be great.

"I can't think of one boy that we've played against that's had a problem with her," Abraham added. "Maybe their dads do. Teach the boys how to handle her. Front her, deny her the ball. You sure as hell don't complain. Listen, she's a girl's girl, but she plays tough. She's no cupcake. She gets knocked down and takes a charge."

For now, Jaime is back playing with girls — on a sixth-grade team and a nontraveling high school team. Abraham appealed The Hoop's ban but was denied.

Jaime, whom he considers the best sixth-grade girls basketball player in the country, is the one who will suffer, Abraham said.

Even so, she's sure to play in college and beyond, he said. Her father, Greg Nared, played at the University of Maryland, and her older sister is headed there in the fall on a basketball scholarship.

"This argument is so ridiculous," Abraham said. "We're talking about a 12-year-old girl. She's just a kid."

Guest ghostt

it's a shame... can't have your son beaten by a girl.  if she's that good, it will do nothing but make her opponents better from having played her.  this is pretty ridiculous. 

well said

it's a shame... can't have your son beaten by a girl.  if she's that good, it will do nothing but make her opponents better from having played her.  this is pretty ridiculous. 

well said

Shoot! if it will make my kids or yours better, I say lets play. I teach mine to never run away from good competition. SOmetimes you gotta get a reality check to see that you still have a way to go in your sport.

• 1 month later...
  • Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    yielder
    Newest Member
    yielder