Mutombo says he wants to come back

Mutombo says he wants to come back

The NBA’s oldest player is ready for more.

Rockets center Dikembe Mutombo, who will turn 42 years old next month, said on Thursday he has decided he would like to return for an 18th NBA season.

Mutombo had planned to retire after each of the past two seasons, but his success filling in for Yao Ming each season convinced him to postpone those plans to prolong his career as one of the best defensive players in league history.

“I'm going to consider to keep playing basketball,†said Mutombo, saying his return will now depend on reaching a contract agreement with the Rockets. “The next part will be to tell my lawyer, David Falk. My body and my mind is responding to the thrill of the game. The coaches and the fans and everyone are in there.

“I talked to my wife and kids a lot this week, especially my children. (They) want me to play one more year.â€

Mutombo, the NBA’s four-time defensive player of the year, averaged three points and 5.1 rebounds in an average of 15.8 minutes per game last season, but was rarely playing before Yao went out for the season Feb. 26.

In his 25 games as the Rockets starting center, he averaged 4.4 points and 6.6 rebounds, making 57.7 percent of his shots, playing just 20.2 minutes per game.

Mutombo’s 3,278 blocked shots are second in league history, behind only Hakeem Olajuwon’s 3,830.

“When I came into this leagut to the time I walk away, I want to be remembered for one thing, that I was one of the great shot blockers whoever played,†Mutombo said late in the season. “To see the things I’m still doing today at the age of 41, I wonder myself why I haven’t lost my timing.â€

Mutombo played last season for the league minimum for a veteran of at least 10 seasons, $1.2 million, though under collective bargaining rules, the Rockets would be responsible for only the league minimum $770,610 with the NBA paying for the rest.

What is crazy is that the Rockets are only paying him 120 K which is absolute leagu minimum...  I know nobody is thinking about this.... BUT is Mutombo [glow=red,2,300]BROKE[/glow]?!?!

For some reason he is playing.....  Maybe he has mismanaged his money.  Trust me when I say that he has had bigger pay days.  ???

I can understand the rockets wanting him at that price I just don't understand why he would waste his time for that.

I "waste" my time for a third of that, and I live pretty comfortably.  I don't know what your career plans are, but if you make 120K a year, you're doing alright. 

I'm quite certain that he's got plenty of money. Here is an exerpt from his wikipedia file

This is the hidden content, please

Anyone who donates 15 mil to a hospital should have plenty of money.

Has it ever crossed your mind that he plays for that little of money because he loves the game? I know in this day and age, that's a rare thing but he just might be one of the rare ones....

I can understand the rockets wanting him at that price I just don't understand why he would waste his time for that.

I "waste" my time for a third of that, and I live pretty comfortably.  I don't know what your career plans are, but if you make 120K a year, you're doing alright. 

Your right its  a slim chance of ME making that but look at the millions he's made he definately isn't in it for the money.

Your right its  a slim chance of ME making that but look at the millions he's made he definately isn't in it for the money.

why should we hound him for coming back for that much money? maybe he's actually one of the FEW who are in it for the love, not the money..

Let him play. It wont hurt anything

if he can provide 5-10 minutes off the bench a game, and a good defensive presence in practice, he'll be worth the money.  that's a pretty insignificant amount of cash for a pro franchise anyway. 

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    yielder
    Newest Member
    yielder