Schnellenberger, FAU give Tubbs, LU strong model

Guest coachacola

Guest coachacola

From Wednesday's Bob West column:

As for Lamar, Schnellenberger offered the following food for thought.

• The key is there be a consensus by the important people at the university that this is what they want, and it’s what’s best for the school. There needs to be a passion for football by the people who make the decisions. The feeling can’t be half hearted. And it can’t be one person’s baby. It’s too big a challenge.

• The coach should be somebody who is respected and revered, so you will not blame him for the slow start. It’s going to be slow and it’s going to require a lot of confidence from the team and the coach, but the people who have responsibility for the team’s existence need to be totally committed to make the effort it takes to help the program go forward.

• You must have a good coaching staff, a good recruiting base and a good place to play. We didn’t have a stadium and it made things extra difficult for us. A big, fancy fieldhouse is not as important as a nice, on-campus place to play.

• The coach should encourage everybody who thinks they even have an outside chance to play to enroll in school and walk on. We had almost 200 walk-ons in the beginning and a lot of them played. Without walk-ons, it’s going to be even harder than you anticipate.

• The coach needs to have a reputation and a persona. You have to be way out there on the positive side, even when what you’re saying doesn’t seem possible. But you have to do it in such a way that people aren’t going to poke fun at you. And you have to remember you can’t take that approach forever.

Link: http://www.panews.com/sportsbobwest/local_story_127203634.html?keyword=topstory

Guest coachacola

I like this guy. Go fast and far in as little time possible.

"A big, fancy fieldhouse is not as important as a nice, on-campus place to play."

Lamar must bowl the stadium.

Here's a picture of FAU's proposed new 30K $62 million stadium:

stadium007.jpg

I'm ready to see the artist renditions for Cardinal Stadium.  There's no reason why Lamar can't have both a big, fancy fieldhouse and a nice, on-campus stadium for around $22 million.  I don't think Lamar will be bowling the stadium now, but they must expand it to 25 or 30K soon.

"A big, fancy fieldhouse is not as important as a nice, on-campus place to play."

stadium007.jpg

I'm ready to see the artist renditions for Cardinal Stadium. There's no reason why Lamar can't have both a big, fancy fieldhouse and a nice, on-campus stadium for around $22 million. I don't think Lamar will be bowling the stadium now, but they must expand it to 25 or 30K soon.

Coach if FAU had picked you to design the stadium, it would look like High Island high school stadium.

$62 million for this, Lamar is 1/3rd there. Now we need 10 donors to give $4 million or 20 to give $2 million or 40 to give $1 million then Lamar could have FAU

stadium. Lamar would get endless fan support with this stadium.

Guest coachacola

I didn't say they shouldn't expand Cardinal Stadium, I'm just saying from what I've seen and heard they are not expanding the stadium.  I'd love for Lamar to have a 30K+ stadium, but I won't believe it until I see it.

stadium007.jpg

I'm ready to see the artist renditions for Cardinal Stadium.  There's no reason why Lamar can't have both a big, fancy fieldhouse and a nice, on-campus stadium for around $22 million.  I don't think Lamar will be bowling the stadium now, but they must expand it to 25 or 30K soon.

Coach if FAU had picked you to design the stadium, it would look like High Island high school stadium.

$62 million for this, Lamar is 1/3rd there. Now we need 10 donors to give $4 million or 20 to give $2 million or 40 to give $1 million then Lamar could have FAU

unlv, if you are referring to the 100 million dollar campaign for LU, that 100 million is not for a football stadium only.  and second u cant get me to believe that just because we have a nice stadium people will support the team.  maybe at first, but once the new wears off, then what?  i still believe the key to long term success is WIN!!! WIN!!! WIN!!!

The most important think I am reading in the article is the coach.  The absolute will to win, not deterred by the obstacles in his path ie...lack of stadium, money or other infrastructure.  Able to sell recruits on himself , the program as well as the school.  Kind of reminds me of Billy Tubbs back in 1976.  Just think of where we would have been had we had leadership we have now with the foresight similar to what FAU has.  I say it is all in the hire of the coach.  The facilities will come.  Make the right hire with the right long term compensation package and everyhting else will fall into place.

I didn't say they shouldn't expand Cardinal Stadium, I'm just saying from what I've seen and heard they are not expanding the stadium.  I'd love for Lamar to have a 30K+ stadium, but I won't believe it until I see it.

Well I don't believe BT will start football in that simple stadium. We'll see who is right soon.

stadium007.jpg

unlv, if you are referring to the 100 million dollar campaign for LU, that 100 million is not for a football stadium only.  and second u cant get me to believe that just because we have a nice stadium people will support the team.  maybe at first, but once the new wears off, then what?  i still believe the key to long term success is WIN!!! WIN!!! WIN!!!

No, I wasn't talking about that $100 million.

A nice stadium will lure in the fans, winning will keep them.

Cardinal stadium as is, with turf, new scoreboard, VIP's, new seats, and new press boxes alone will not lure in big numbers.

Lamar needs to take advantage of the newness by shocking and awing the community.

"• The key is there be a consensus by the important people at the university that this is what they want, and it’s what’s best for the school. There needs to be a passion for football by the people who make the decisions. The feeling can’t be half hearted. And it can’t be one person’s baby. It’s too big a challenge."

This statement, and winning, are so very important in Lamar having a successful football program.  Check out the back ground of the University of South Florida.  The USF football program is not much older than FAU's.  They started out in small tin buildings for their athletic offices and, to my knowledge, still are without an on-campus stadium.  Yet they started in CUSA and are not in the Big East.  They may still be operating out of tin buildings.

BTW, North Texas has yet to beat Snellie's FAU football team.

Could UNT be as competitive as TCU?  Even SMU should be a perennial top 25 team.  SMU hasn't recovered from the death penalty.  The metroplex has a plethora of high school talent.  But the kids want to play for either OU, UT, A&M, Texas Tech, etc. Craig James even steered his son to Texas Tech.  What does that tell you?

Could UNT be as competitive as TCU?  Even SMU should be a perennial top 25 team.  SMU hasn't recovered from the death penalty.  The metroplex has a plethora of high school talent.  But the kids want to play for either OU, UT, A&M, Texas Tech, etc. Craig James even steered his son to Texas Tech.  What does that tell you?

It tells me there is UT, OU, A&M, TxTech, and the rest of D1A programs in Texas.  So what?  Not every HS recruit can go to those schools.  There are other choices, but most of the talented recruits in Texas want to play for BCS programs if they can.

And yes, NT can be as competitive as TCU, as long as the University brass does what it takes for the program to succeed.  From what I have seen, and I'm a diehard UNT fan, our administration lacks the balls (funny, the President is a female) to slap a per semester athletic fee on each student to fund the FBS program.  NT needs a new stadium really bad and this would be a sure way of getting it.  The school needs to utilize it's sheer numbers (33,000 students) to get the stadium built.  Supposedly, they are trying to fund it from external sources.  Even with an athletic fee, NT is still a "best buy" for a quality college education.

Is James' son still at Texas Tech?  Did he ever play?  Many good players go to those fine programs only to sit on the bench for 4-5 years.

Guest mffl

You know i like you UNLV, but i think people go to The Big House, or The Rose Bowl, Or Notre Dame Stadium, Death Valley, whereever, to see those stadiums where you have 80-100k people pack the place, people from Houston or anywhere aren't just going to drive to Cardinal Stadium to sit a decent looking stadium. We have to put a winner on the field to pack the place, start tradition, win Conference Championships, to get people in the stands.\

Starting up the program will take a lot of time. My guess is over half the people on this board will be calling for coaches head after 2 years of losing, I'm hoping that doesn't happen, but for ONCE i will be realistic. I like how Billy and Jimmy are taking the best approach to fielding a winning team and taking their time. Trust me, it will pay off.

Oh and BTW, my guess is we go undefeated our second year.  ;)

I wasn't trying to start be argumentative.  "So you know the number of donors?", said UNLV.  What kind of question is that?  And Green Menace, don't take offense.  I like UNT, and they could be top-25 caliber.  The point I was trying to make is this:  DFW metroplex has TCU, SMU, & UNT for college football, with UTA coming soon.  I wish that kids would consider these three (four) schools rather than UT, OU, etc.  My message lacked some clarity. 

texasstud28, I didn't take offense to your questions/comments.  Kids wanting to go to the more storied programs like OU, Ut, A&M, etc., is understandable.  What hurts are all the quality athletes that go out of state to play college ball.  Wish they would stay in Texas.

What about Craig James' son, did he ever really play at Tech?  When?

Peace.

You know i like you UNLV, but i think people go to The Big House, or The Rose Bowl, Or Notre Dame Stadium, Death Valley, whereever, to see those stadiums where you have 80-100k people pack the place, people from Houston or anywhere aren't just going to drive to Cardinal Stadium to sit a decent looking stadium. We have to put a winner on the field to pack the place, start tradition, win Conference Championships, to get people in the stands.\

Starting up the program will take a lot of time. My guess is over half the people on this board will be calling for coaches head after 2 years of losing, I'm hoping that doesn't happen, but for ONCE i will be realistic. I like how Billy and Jimmy are taking the best approach to fielding a winning team and taking their time. Trust me, it will pay off.

Oh and BTW, my guess is we go undefeated our second year.  ;)

Did you read the article on Schnellenberger?  Did he take the wait-n-see slow approach?

His approach is closer to what I am saying Lamar should do. Finally, BT hasn't released the plans so you don't know if Lamar

will take your approach or something closer to my approach.

I wasn't trying to start be argumentative.  "So you know the number of donors?", said UNLV.  What kind of question is that? 

This is what you said, "I just don't see enough money from private donors for a new stadium". To make this statement, you must know

who and how much Lamar is getting in donations.

win, win, win. thats what matters. sponsers will come. we will get money to fix the stadium. that's not the problem. we need to get a good coach, and solid players. then we will have enough fan support, to use ticket money, etc.. to continue to fix up the stadium..

I wasn't trying to start be argumentative.  "So you know the number of donors?", said UNLV.  What kind of question is that? 

This is what you said, "I just don't see enough money from private donors for a new stadium". To make this statement, you must know

who and how much Lamar is getting in donations.

I don't have any tangible evidence.  It's just speculation, a wild guess.  But you're right, I don't know.

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    yielder
    Newest Member
    yielder