*LC-M vs. Nederland/LC-M Wins 10-6/Comments!!!

How many walks in this game?  12?   It's going to be real hard to go anywhere with that.

I don't think you can look at 1 game's amount of walks and make a determination as to the strength or weaknesses of a pitcher.  In another thread with MrUmp1, we discussed the way a strike zone is called by an umpire, and that affects the amount of walks in a game.  If both teams issue a lot of walks in a game, I woudl probably see that as being influenced by the way the strike zone is being called.  But, if you see a consistent amount of walks in a game from one team, you woudl be correct...hard to go anywhere with that.

I agree that you can not look at one game. But when you look at the body of work by this staff, there have been several games where double digits were put up against them. With 12 walks, LCM was lucky Ned didn't score more than 6 runs.

Ned:  Josh Dean 1 1/3 innings  4 Ks 5 hits 4 BB; Ryan Sampere 3 innings 4 ks 4 BB 5 Hits; Kirby Bellow 1 2/3 innings.

LCM:  Dallas Brown 3 2/3 innings 3 ks 2 BB 9 hits; Ben Jones 2 1/3 innings 4 ks 2 BB 1 hit; Shane Waddell 1 inning .

Ned:  Jordan Pitts 2 for 4(HR) 2-RBI 1-Run; Kirby Bellow 1 for 3 1-Run; Aaron McFarland 2 for 2(HR 2B) 2-RBI 2-Runs; Ryan Sampere 2 for 3(3B) 1-RBI 1-Run; Jude Vidrine 2 for 3 1-RBI; Trey Terracina 1 for 4; Justin Richard 1-Run.

LCM:  Tim Barry 2 for 4(HR) 4-RBIs 2-Runs; Chad Richard 1 Run; Stefan Leger 2 for 4(HR) 4-RBIs 2-Runs; Stefan Cloeren 1 for 3 1-Run; Wade Estes 1-Run 1-RBI; Ben Jones 1 for 2 1-Run; Phillip Richard 1-Run 1-RBI; Matt Johnson 1 for 3 1-Run. 

My understanding is if there is a tie then there will be a play-in game. 

Couldn't make the game today, but listen to KOGT and Gary Stelly. I'm telling ya, Milo has nothing on Stelly.

Looks like Dean had control problems, he sure pitched a gem against PNG the other day. Ben Jones came in a shut the DOGs down.   

From the Port Arthur News

MAURICEVILLE — Just like the first meeting between the Little Cypress-Mauriceville Bears and Nederland Bulldogs, Nederland jumped out with a two run lead only to watch LC-M answer and win.

Down 2-0 in the bottom of the second, the Bears batted around the lineup, using five walks and four hits, including a grand slam from Stefan Leger that capped off an eight run inning.

LC-M went on to beat the Dogs 10-6 in Saturday afternoon's District 22-4A matchup.

With the win, the Bears end a three-game slide and improve to 21-6 overall and 8-4 in league play. With just two games to go, LC-M sits alone in the third and final playoff spot.

Meanwhile, Nederland falls to 7-5 and is in a tie for fourth place with the Ozen Panthers.

The Bulldogs outhit LC-M 8-6 in the contest but left eight runners on base. On top of giving up a grand slam, Josh Dean, who suffered the loss by throwing just 1.1 innings and giving up six earned runs, and Ryan Sampere each issued four walks.

LC-M took full advantage of the free passes by scoring eight in the second and then adding two more on a two-run shot by Tim Berry in the fifth inning off Sampere.

After taking over for Dean, Sampere allowed two more runs, including Leger's four-banger, in the second. The senior right-hander did hold the Bears scoreless for the third and fourth innings, giving Nederland opportunities to crawl back in the ball game. Sampere gave up four earned runs in three innings of work.

"We just didn't pitch very well today," said Nederland head coach Cody Robbins. "We gave up too many walks and they just hit the ball hard. Dean didn't have his best stuff and that just happens sometimes."

With two outs in the third, Nederland responded with a two-run shot by Aaron McFarland that brought in Kirby Bellow. Bellow singled earlier in the inning.

Including the two-run job by McFarland, the senior designated-hitter and third baseman, doubled in the second and was

2-for-2 with two walks, two RBIs and two runs scored. 

McFarland's third inning homer put the score at 8-4. Then in the fourth inning, Nederland cut the game to 8-6 when Jordan Pitts hit a two-run homer over centerfield. Pitts four bagger brought in Trey Terracinawho singled earlier in the inning.

The Bulldogs might have lost some of the wind in their sails after a lead-off walk to Jude Vidrine in the top of the fifth inning led to a goose egg on the scoreboard.

Vidrine was stranded at third as Nederland's next three batters went down on strikes.

Berry's homer in the bottom half of the fifth put the nail in the coffin, giving the Bears a 10-6 lead.

On top of his homer, Berry also singled in Matt Johnson and Wade Estes in the second inning to give LC-M a 3-2 lead. Berry was 2-for-4 with four RBIs and two runs scored.

All but two players in the Bears' lineup scored in the second inning. Leger tallied the first and last runs. He led the inning off with a single and later scored when Estes drew a walk with the bases loaded.

Phillip Richard, Berry, Chad Richard and Leger all scored on the grand slam. Both of the Richards' drew walks to set up Leger with a diamond full of Bears. 

Dallas Brown got the win. He pitched 3.2 innings, giving up six earned runs on seven hits. Ben Jones relieved Brown for 2.1 innings of scoreless ball.

Jones started the seventh inning with back-to-back walks, however, which led head coach Steve Griffith to go to sophomore Shane Waddell for the final three outs.

Waddell came in with runners at first and second with nobody out but got Jude Vidrine to pop out to second, induced a ground ball from Anthony Babino and Terracina popped out to the pitcher's mound to end the game.

Griffith said the win was as big as any district win he has had in 15 years with LC-M.

"We've come out on top of some really hyped games before — games we played for first place — but this was one we had to have just to stay in third. I say that's a bigger deal," he said.

Griffith added his club is in control of its own destiny now.

"All we have to do is win these next two ball games," he said. "It's as simple as that, if we win the next two, we're in."

The Bears travel to Lumberton on Tuesday and then end the regular season with a showdown with second place Vidor (9-3). That game will be at Mauriceville. LC-M beat Vidor in the first district meeting.

Nederland needs two wins next week just to have a chance for a postseason berth. The Bulldogs are away for both of their games, playing at Dayton on Tuesday and at Lumberton on Friday.

For Nederland to get in the playoffs, it will need either Vidor to lose to both Ozen on Tuesday and LC-M on Friday, or will need LC-M to lose one of its final two games.

"We're still in this," said Robbins. "I thought our pitching was a little shaky today — sometimes that's just how it goes. We still have faith in our guys and don't think for a second we're going to lay down and not finish this season.

I'm just going on memory , I don't remember LCM leaving runners on base . Does anyone have  team totals on how many men were left on ? 

I don't know about total for the game, but one inning ended with the bases loaded and a fine catch of a line drive by Nederland's center fielder.

Both teams stranded runners.  The difference that I saw in this game was pitching.  Dallas Brown didn't have his best stuff but allowed his defense to work behind him.  Josh Dean obviously, after the PNG game results, also did not have his best stuff.  His walks and hit-by-pitches didn't allow the defense to make a play for him and made for a big second inning for the Bears.  He's a young pitcher and it goes that way some times.  Griff switched pitchers quickly to stop the bleeding before the damage was done and Nederland's coach gave his pitchers a chance to work out of it and made the change after the lead was lost.  I tip my hat to the Dogs for not giving up after such a big second inning and congratulations to LCM on the win.  Dogs keep battling.  You need some help but your still in it!   

I agree that you can not look at one game. But when you look at the body of work by this staff, there have been several games where double digits were put up against them. With 12 walks, LCM was lucky Ned didn't score more than 6 runs.

What game were you at?  LCM walked four hitters Saturday.

I didn't think LCM walked 12 batters either. I don't keep a book, but it seemed like it was more than 4 though.

At the beginnig of the season it was well known the Bears would and could just out hit everybody.

When we get our bats going we put up football type scores 10, 14, 17 !

I think VOP misinterpreted my earlier post about 12 walks for the game.  Either way, that is slow baseball for the fans to watch.  Walks sure make for a long game.

my sunburn from the game seconds that motion!  I thought my hair was going to screen out the harmful sun's rays...I was wrong.  Maybe it's because I don't have as much hair on my head as I thought I did.  And I tried out my "new game, new face" clean shaven look just in time to get sunburned there too!

Pitches weren't crazy outside the zone.  The umpire just had a VERY tight zone, and it showed.  There were no "kind rolls" for either team.

Both teams stranded runners.  The difference that I saw in this game was pitching.  Dallas Brown didn't have his best stuff but allowed his defense to work behind him.  Josh Dean obviously, after the PNG game results, also did not have his best stuff.  His walks and hit-by-pitches didn't allow the defense to make a play for him and made for a big second inning for the Bears.  He's a young pitcher and it goes that way some times.  Griff switched pitchers quickly to stop the bleeding before the damage was done and Nederland's coach gave his pitchers a chance to work out of it and made the change after the lead was lost.  I tip my hat to the Dogs for not giving up after such a big second inning and congratulations to LCM on the win.  Dogs keep battling.  You need some help but your still in it!   

I agree with that about pitching up to a point , What I remember is both starters gave up 6 runs and  I think I read that Ned outhit LCM . The difference

to me were the runners left on base and the k's with runners in scoring position . LCM did what they had to do . Now it's the dogs turn to get it done. Dayton & Lumberton are two good teams . It always comes down to  this...who wants it the most . GO DOGS !

I agree with Cool Hand Luke on this one.  DWC is also right LCM did get the job done with walks and hit by pitches loading bases followed by hits.  If the strikes were there is no 8 run 2nd inning.  It happens but to start trying to blame bats that hit well and put 3 consecutive 2 run innings on the board is ludicrous.  That should have been enough.  DWC you tend to make more comments when a certain player is pitching or not playing(as in the Westbrook comments).  Could you possibly be a little biased?  He's good and had an off day.  No big deal.

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    jacobmartin
    Newest Member
    jacobmartin