Nederland/LaMarque Predictions For Week 0

Here's Nederland's Preview! Will they beat LaMarque?

Larry Neumann and his Nederland Bulldogs are set for another playoff run in 2006. This year’s team has the potential to be very good and should make all kinds of noise in their new district, 22-4a. Look for the Bulldogs to continue their great tradition this year.

In 2005, Nederland took third place in 20-4a, behind Central. They finished with a season record of 6-4, and a district record of 3-1. The Bulldog offense scored a total of 280 points last year in 10 games, while their defense gave up only 225. That comes out to an average of 28 points scored per game, and 22.5 points allowed per game. Key wins last year included wins over PNG and CE King (Bi District). Key losses last year were to Ozen, and to Kilgore in the second round of the playoffs. Here are all the scores from last year’s Area Finalist team.

Nederland 38 Texas City 14

WO-S 20 Nederland 10

West Brook 49 Nederland 28

Nederland 34 Friendswood 27

Nederland 35 PNG 28

Ozen 21 Nederland 7

Nederland 41 Lumberton 0

Nederland 42 LCM 10

Nederland 34 West Brook 16

Kilgore 40 Nederland 11

The prospectus is good for the Dogs in 06, as they return 41 total lettermen off of last year’s team. Eight of those come back on offense to start and only four are returning starters on defense. Nederland has a good core group of athletes returning who could help the Dogs be part of another long playoff run.

On the offensive side of the ball, Nederland will be very good. They will have to cope with the loss of last year’s Mr. Everything, Ryan Butler, but their offense shouldn’t miss a beat with the return of four all district starters. Alex Moshier will play Quarterback and lead Nederland in 2006. Moshier had a good season last year, in which he threw for 1251 yards and 9 touchdowns. Unfortunately for him, the Bulldogs lose virtually all of their receiving corps from 2005. Alex will be throwing to an inexperienced group of receivers, and that will be one of the questions marks entering the 2006 season for the Bulldogs. The good new is however that he will have help from returning running back, Micah Mosley, and returning full back, Chris Gutierrez. Last year Mosely led the team in rushing, going for 754 yards and 6 touchdowns. Gutierrez also had a nice season last year, rushing for 309 yards and 6 touchdowns. These two will need to excel if Nederland wants to have any chance of winning their district.

Defensively, the Dogs return some key players, but will have to replace much of their defense. Especially in the secondary, Nederland is very thin after losing their combination of Butler, Laird, and Whitaker. The Dogs will also have to replace one of their best defensive players in years past, Ron Mohica. It remains to be seen who will step up and take their place. Leading the defense this year will be Junior Linebacker and 20-4a Newcomer of the Year, Dravanti Johnson and Senior Jarvis Benton. Both of these players should begin turning some heads this year, as both are full of athletic ability.

Every Nederland fan has September 1 marked on their calendar because it marks not only the beginning of football season, but it consists of the Bulldogs’ game with LaMarque at Reliant Stadium. District play opens September 29 at Vidor for the Dogs and ends November 10th against Lumberton. Here is the rest of the 06 schedule.

2006 Nederland Bulldogs Football Schedule

Aug. 19 Silsbee (scrimmage)

Aug. 25 Jasper (scrimmage)

Sep. 1 La Marque at Reliant Stadium (5 p.m.)

Sep. 8 Forest Brook 7:30

Sep. 15 @ Waller 7:30

Sep. 22 Open

Sep. 29 @ Vidor* 7:30

Oct. 6 Central* 7:30 (Homecoming)

Oct. 13 @ PN-G* 7:30

Oct. 20 Ozen* 7:30

Oct. 27 @ LC-M* 7:30

Nov. 3 @ Dayton* 7:30

Nov. 10 Lumberton* 7:30 (Senior Night)

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I hope the DOGS can pull this one out. The problem will be the Cougs overall team speed.

Ned has a shot, hell anyone does in HS football, but this is LaMarque......one of the most historied programs in the state. They just dont lose! Ive played them twice and they are ALWAYS good.

Guest kosmo

I would say Lamarque, just because they are Lamarque. But I have learned over the last few years to never say, Nederland is going to lose hands down. Because, every time I do they wind up pulling one out of the hat. I will be rooting for Nederland, but I think Lamarque will pull it out.

Guest GoStangs

I'm with you on that. Plus, I have to think LM wants to prove their worth by starting out with a "W" in the first game of their season. LM is a quality opponent, and they didn't get to the point they are by overlooking teams.

I'm with you on that. Plus' date=' I have to think LM wants to prove their worth by starting out with a "W" in the first game of their season. LM is a quality opponent, and they didn't get to the point they are by overlooking teams.[/quote']

They will always be "LaMarque" just like we will always be "WOS" if you know what I mean. :wink:

I do know that much about Nederland football but if they take out Lm will be very impressive. I stoppded and was visiting with some of the Lm staff and they are going to be very good this year. They have alot of kids coming back from last year. They have a hoss for a Mlb some good wr's. Wish I could be there but will be at S/A watching Trinity vs Etbu :lol: .

Guest Penny

I crack up everytime I read the "they better have speed" post... when Nederland plays someone that has great team speed. Nederland has great schemes defensively, they can play with teams that have great team speed and compete and win. I don't know what's going to happen in Week '0', but for Nederland to win, they will have to be 100% on their assignments defensively... normally unless you return a load of starters... like the 2000 team or the 2004 team... it takes several weeks into district before all players are in the right spot everytime. That's what it takes to beat LaMarque, you've got to be in the right spot... speed or no speed... Nederland beats teams with great speed when they have seasoned defenders that know their technique and reads like the back of their hand. In years when Nederland doesn't return as many starters on defense... especially linebackers, that doesn't happen until later in the season.

I don't know if they'll be there by Week Zero? What I do know is they have a guy on defense that can make plays and also has big time D1 ability in D. Johnson. This kid will surprise folks this year. Mark it down. Nederland will play LaMarque tough. They will have a very good running game, could be great... and a strong armed experienced QB. The WR's filling in for Butler may surprise some folks and they have a huge target at TE with great hands. Nederland will be tough this year, definitely going to make some noise this year.

Oh yeah... they've also got Larry Neumann.

I crack up everytime I read the "they better have speed" post... when Nederland plays someone that has great team speed. Nederland has great schemes defensively' date=' they can play with teams that have great team speed and compete and win. I don't know what's going to happen in Week '0', but for Nederland to win, they will have to be 100% on their assignments defensively... normally unless you return a load of starters... like the 2000 team or the 2004 team... it takes several weeks into district before all players are in the right spot everytime. That's what it takes to beat LaMarque, you've got to be in the right spot... speed or no speed... Nederland beats teams with great speed when they have seasoned defenders that know their technique and reads like the back of their hand. In years when Nederland doesn't return as many starters on defense... especially linebackers, that doesn't happen until later in the season.

I don't know if they'll be there by Week Zero? What I do know is they have a guy on defense that can make plays and also has big time D1 ability in D. Johnson. This kid will surprise folks this year. Mark it down. Nederland will play LaMarque tough. They will have a very good running game, could be great... and a strong armed experienced QB. The WR's filling in for Butler may surprise some folks and they have a huge target at TE with great hands. Nederland will be tough this year, definitely going to make some noise this year.

Oh yeah... they've also got Larry Neumann.[/quote']

Can Coach Neumann run run a 4:3? If you are not concerned about speed what happen when you played the teams from East Texas the last two years? Did you not get like pile drived last year and the next week they were beat by Lm? Oh I forgot you are not worried about speed.

:shock: I am not worried about speed! I am going to sit my fat A*& in the stands and watch Nederland get rolled like a jelly bean. Then I am going to put it on East Texas A&M and listen to the "Puppies" complain about the officials........:D

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    yielder
    Newest Member
    yielder