Nederland/LaMarque Predictions For Week 0

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest GoStangs

Lamarque by 21

Bye the way' date=' how does a smart defender that runs a 4.8 defend a guy that runs a 4.3 on a streak route? If speed doesnt matter.[/quote']

He gives him a 10 yard or more cushion....

I don't think NED has to worry so much about LM's offense, though it will be good, but LM seems to always have a pretty stout and aggressive defense. I imagine Mosely will do well against them, but you can't line up and beat them with one person. Hearing they have a good TE is a start, but the QB and line need to have good games, otherwise LM will just pin their ears back and feast.

Personally, I don't think NED will win -- that's not meant to put them down in anyway, it's just that LM is just a very solid team (probably one of the best in 4A). The Dogs may play close, but they'll need to improve pretty dramatically from last year's talent to pull off an upset.

Guest GoStangs

Why not? If the defendant is running a streak only and you're 1/2 second slower than him in 40 yards, you'd better give him a cushion or he'll run right by you.

Granted, good teams with speed will work other pass plays (hitches, comebacks, etc.), but if a player is just running a streak, even I can cover him. :lol:

Why not? If the defendant is running a streak only and you're 1/2 second slower than him in 40 yards' date=' you'd better give him a cushion or he'll run right by you.

Granted, good teams with speed will work other pass plays (hitches, comebacks, etc.), but if a player is just running a streak, even I can cover him. :lol:[/quote']

You push him out of bounds! If there is that much difference in speed, it doesnt matter how far off you play him.

Hell what do we know, we were just two kickers :lol:

Guest GoStangs

When sprinters run 100 yards, you can figure a .5 second difference is about a 5 yard gap. Since nobody is going to throw the ball 100 yards, a 4.8 DB can get within 10 yards of a 4.3 WR's starting position and provide adequate coverage.

Of course, it still won't be nearly as exciting as a 47-yard fg to win a game... :lol:

Lamarque by 21

Bye the way' date=' how does a smart defender that runs a 4.8 defend a guy that runs a 4.3 on a streak route? If speed doesnt matter.[/quote']

I think you are right, LaMarque probably will win and if Nederland wins it will be a big upset. Why don't we just line up the defensive backs against the wide receivers and run a race in the stadium. It shouldn't take but a couple of minutes. No need to risk broken bones and wasted two hours if LaMarque's wide receivers can run a 4.3 when Nederland's defensive backs can only run a 4.8. Whichever team is the fastest wins and we can all go home since apparently that is the only key to winning.

Like I said, Nederland probably should not beat LaMarque on September 1st. Nederland sure doesn't line up well with them on paper. Remember this however, Nederland has gone to the playoffs for 10 straight years and has gone past the first round for the last 9 years. I doubt that Nederland was faster than any of the teams in district and almost surely not in the playoffs yet somehow Nederland's slower teams keep winning. They usually make a very good showing in the playoffs including three trips to the quarter finals and one to the semi finals in the last 8 years. No other team in the area has done that.... strange for having a slower team don't you think?

Well' date=' thats all fine and dandy, but yall didnt beat us :lol:[/quote']

That's a fact and WO-S has a substantial lifetime record over Nederland. I don't know that Nederland would ever win a foot race with WO-S but if I remember correctly, we won 4 of the last 5 played. There is no point other than team speed, while good, is not some kind of magical guarantee of a win. Nederland almost never has a D1 player but they sure have beaten a lot of teams that have had several. Speed is great, teamwork can be better.

What are the records between the two skewls? My money is on Lumberton. I like the spirit of their player that posted today and hope them well. GO LUMBERTON. :lol:

Here's some info on LaMarque....

They return 4 Offensive and 3 defensive starters. Made the 4A Quarerfinals last season. Players to keep an eye on are DB James Thomas (6-1, 175, 4.5) RB Markus Frank (5-9, 175, 4.5). DB Thomas had 11 INT's last season. RB Frank had 800 yards rushing.

Guest GoStangs

if I remember correctly, we won 4 of the last 5 played.

Actually, WOS and NED are even in the last six games (NED is up 3-2 in the past 5, though). WOS won in 2000, NED won from 01-03, and WOS won in 04 and 05.

NED and WOS share the benefit of having good, stable coaching staffs. We lost a few key members of our coaching squad in 01 and didn't get them back until 04, and you see how much of a difference it made for us. When you talk about how come WOS or NED can win games against teams most people think will beat them, it has to be about good coaching -- getting players to be overachievers.

Guest Penny

Going back to my post, I never said speed doesn't matter, I said, Nederland has proven in the past that it has the ability to contain speed defensively. It may or may not happen, that's why you play the game, but it has contained some very fast teams in the past, that's a fact, not conjecture or pumping my team.

As for the last two years with the East Texas boys... that had absolutely NOTHING and I mean NOTHING to do with speed. Those kids from Jacksonville/Kilgore were flat out huge and bullied us on the defensive line... too big and just wore us down. Actually, Nederland should've won the Jacksonville game, just didn't make a couple of plays they normally make and didn't get a few coin flip breaks. They were in the game and the better team in my opinion. We just got hit in the mouth against Kilgore... too big... too strong. Speed was no factor.

Question for you... how does Nederland compete with Ozen if it can't contain speed... how do they compete with WO-S if they can't contain speed?

Guest GoStangs

how does Nederland compete with Ozen if it can't contain speed... how do they compete with WO-S if they can't contain speed?

Didn't they lose to both those teams last year?

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    cfbswami
    Newest Member
    cfbswami