Lets talk construction plans..

UNLV

I never understood why Lamar hardly hosts events at the Montagne Center.  They did have a concert their last year by some hard rock bank, but that's about all I've heard about.  Here in Austin the Erwin Center is always being used for concerts, the Austin Wranglers of the AFL, along with all of UT's events there.  Seems like a good source for Lamar, but Beaumont in general has always had a problem getting events (see Ford Park)!!

Excellent observation. We should make the people over there at the MC  accountable. Too much business out there to let the MC just sit there. I would be first in line to offer my facilities to UIL for regional playoffs, bi-district play, championship tournments, etc. It gives the kids a chance to see a very nice facility.

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest abovetherim

I agree but the 4A regional tournament was at the Montagne Center for a few years but the UIL decided to take is somewhere else. I don't think you can blame Lamar for that one. JMO.

I agree but the 4A regional tournament was at the Montagne Center for a few years but the UIL decided to take is somewhere else. I don't think you can blame Lamar for that one. JMO.

I agree. We (We? Sheez, I've been in Southeast Texas too-oo long-gg) have no control over that decision, but at least give us the area north of Lufkin.

When the stadium is finished, Lamar needs to bring back the PV/Southern game. It was dumb to allow a band to end something good.

Agreed.  There were probably 10000 Southern fans there, and 3-4000 Prairie View fans.  Many of the Southern fans made a weekend of it.  It was very good for the area.  Next time, just separate the bands.

Yeah, real great for the area.  A brawl that made national tv.  Lets bring that back every year..NOT!!!!!!!!!

They could park in vacant area around Vincent-Beck and have shuttles running to and from the stadium.

Bulldoze the football stadium and make that parking.  Build a brand new nice stadium 'around the corner'.  Isn't there land somewhere across the highway from the baseball field???  Then, you have plenty of parking for the Montagne and you get the football stadium a little ways away from the Mobil plant.

Guest abovetherim

Agree, if we (Lamar) had the money that is exactly what they "should do". But, I don't think that is the current plan. At least, not based on what I had the opportunity to see last week.

I'll put it this way, if they "bulldoze the football stadium" and rebuild the exact stadium with the amenities I saw last week you are talking $50,000,000. I'm not joking. That stadium everyone was talking about last week, I believe it was Berry Stadium. It's capacity is 11,000. Cardinal Stadium is at 17,500 right now.

I know the Berry Complex is more than just a football stadium but I think it took a large piece of that $75 million to build just the football facilities.

I promise, you may be disappointed that they aren't totally building a new stadium but you will be happy with the renovation project. A few things that I think are pretty common knowledge but won't be breaking confidence is obviously the press box is being rebuilt. Huggins Fieldhouse is getting a major facelift. There will be a videoscore board and Field-Turf. Just about everything will be new from the bathrooms, coaching offices, training facilities and so on.

Again, any LU alumnus/student/supporter/fan will be very happy with the renovated complex. Would it be "best" built at a different location? Yep.

I don't know about all the construction talk but I got a call last week from the AD office because they had something to "show me" and if they let me shared the information with you guys I will. If not, I have to keep my promise. But, just like the money situation "there is a lot more pledged than most people know" and just can't tell you guys on the forum exactly how much that is. If I get the okay for that too I'll share it. Honesty, I want to tell everything I know but I have to be trusted to some degree or I'll never be told anything.

so when will you be allowed to spill the beans on this one? I must admit I'm curious.

Guest abovetherim

Don't know but I am surprised they haven't release the information to the public. I think it would let people know Lamar is serious about making football successful.

I think they are making sure all their ducks are in a row first. A. They have all the funding to complete the project. B. I think they are still talking with the firm in Houston about exact $$$ amounts. C. I think they want to make a "big splash" with naming a HC and releasing the drawings at the same time. Just my idea, nothing was stated to that affect.

Probably won't wow fans at UT or A&M but I loved what I saw. It will be second to none in the SLC.

They could park in vacant area around Vincent-Beck and have shuttles running to and from the stadium.

Bulldoze the football stadium and make that parking.  Build a brand new nice stadium 'around the corner'.  Isn't there land somewhere across the highway from the baseball field???  Then, you have plenty of parking for the Montagne and you get the football stadium a little ways away from the Mobil plant.

This is exactly what should be done. The stadium should be on the school side of MLK where those houses currently sit. Exxon-mobil could

fund the majority of the stadium with a small less than 1% of the largest profit of a private company in world history.

Guest coachacola

Exxon-Mobil isn't going to give Lamar $50 million to build a new stadium.  But they should work out some deal with Lamar to close the section of plant that's right behind the Montagne Center and create a buffer zone with trees.  Moving those trains back a few hundred yards wouldn't hurt either.

The view behind the stadium just south of the refinery isn't bad, it's what's behind the Montagne Center that's the eyesore.

2328508651_447f102e15.jpg?v=0

Exxon-Mobil isn't going to give Lamar $50 million to build a new stadium.  But they should work out some deal with Lamar to close the section of plant that's right behind the Montagne Center and create a buffer zone with trees.  Moving those trains back a few hundred yards wouldn't hurt either.

The view behind the stadium just south of the refinery isn't bad, it's what's behind the Montagne Center that's the eyesore.

The plant behind the Montagne Center isn't owned by ExxonMobil.  It is a Sulfuric Acid plant that is owned by Olin.  They buy sulfur from ExxonMobil and sell them acid, but it's independent.  Besides, closing a plant that is necessary for running of a refinery and rebuilding it somewhere else is much, much more expensive than building a stadium.

Guest coachacola

I know they won't coach, but they should. And the tracks are owned by KCS. KCS has hurt Beaumont

plans for downtown so I know they won't do anything positive for Lamar.

I agree with you.  I also know they won't close down that refinery behind the Montagne either, but it would be nice.

Lamar messed up when they decided to build the Montagne where it currently sits. They should have demolished McDonald Gym (or renovated it to a practice facility) and build the the Montagne in that area. Sure the parking would have been awful and changes would have had to been made to maybe the post office but the arena would have been smack in the middle of campus and the atmosphere would have been awesome.Then they could have used the current area it sits on for parking at Cardinal Stadium. 

Just my thoughts.

Guest abovetherim

JMO, they should buy the land across Hwy 69 where that old apartment complex is. It would have great access on and off the Hwy, would be highly visible from the Hwy and would be close to campus. Downtown would be a option and I think the best thing would be to build a stadium at Ford Park. Tear down the amphitheater, get the county to agree to donate the land for the use of a football stadium and approach BISD about building complex per a joint effort. Their bond dollars plus the money Lamar is about to put into renovating Cardinal Stadium would be significant. Cardinal Stadium could then be converted to a soccer and track facility by tearing down the visitors side stands they would be able to use it for a multipurpose complex. It would free the area now used for Ty Terrell for much needed parking.

The school district would get all the revenue from HS games played there. Lamar the revenue from the Cardinals games. The county could get revenue from HS playoff games, 7 on 7 tournaments and other activities held at the facility. Heck, they then (large enough stadium) might get the a exhibition game in Beaumont. Remember Walter Umphrey is good friends with Jerry Jones. No way a regular season game but if there was a 40,000 seat facility in Beaumont I could see a exhibition game there. Heck, Beaumont could then persue a training camp arrangement with the Cowboys.

I remember about 20 years ago Jerry looked at Beaumont as a site for training camp.

Before you say it, I know that is big dreams but as BLUEDOVE3 states I'm the dreamer!  ;D

JMO, they should buy the land across Hwy 69 where that old apartment complex is. It would have great access on and off the Hwy, would be highly visible from the Hwy and would be close to campus. Downtown would be a option

I remember about 20 years ago Jerry looked at Beaumont as a site for training camp.

Before you say it, I know that is big dreams but as BLUEDOVE3 states I'm the dreamer! 

You remind me of my wife. She still tries to make me believe that the Jackson 5 performed in Beaumont many years ago. No way would J5 being the super group they were landed in Beaumont :o

Guest abovetherim

Man, we've had Oprah Winfrey in Beaumont. I like her better anyway. The Jackson family has some issues.

Jackson5 in Beaumont? Possible. Elvis had a gig in Port Arthur.

Now, you and I are getting way off the topic of construction plans.  ;D

JMO, they should buy the land across Hwy 69 where that old apartment complex is. It would have great access on and off the Hwy, would be highly visible from the Hwy and would be close to campus. Downtown would be a option

Before you say it, I know that is big dreams but as BLUEDOVE3 states I'm the dreamer! 

You remind me of my wife. She still tries to make me believe that the Jackson 5 performed in Beaumont many years ago. No way would J5 being the super group they were landed in Beaumont :o

Jackson 5 did come to Beaumont. They performed at the Harvest club.

Elvis came a few times. Joe Louis spent a lot of time on Irving.

Don't know but I am surprised they haven't release the information to the public. I think it would let people know Lamar is serious about making football successful.

I think they are making sure all their ducks are in a row first. A. They have all the funding to complete the project. B. I think they are still talking with the firm in Houston about exact $$$ amounts. C. I think they want to make a "big splash" with naming a HC and releasing the drawings at the same time. Just my idea, nothing was stated to that affect.

Probably won't wow fans at UT or A&M but I loved what I saw. It will be second to none in the SLC.

So is there any seating expansion in this current plan?  Or future expansion plans?  I think it is possible to get to 40k+ in seating at the current site.

Guest abovetherim

I didn't see the expansion of seating capacity with the drawings I saw. The plans I saw didn't show the actual seating of the stands. It was a view from MLK and a view of the renovated Huggins Field House but I really can't say much more.

North, I think they are waiting for the board of higher education to approve any renovations. This stuff is a lot more political than I thought. I still stand by my comments about how nice the football facilities will be.

I only seen those two drawings but it really looked awesome and I was told about some of the other amenities.

I just prefer not to get into all the details because I was asked to keep it off the forum. Believe me, the administration knows about this forum as well as the other Lamar fans board.

If I give out too much information, I'll probably be the last guy they give information to again. Just want to keep my promise but not a jerk. I know you guys deserve to know everything too. I'll be glad when everything is made public.  You guys deserve to know everything too.

I just can't be the one to tell you much. Really, I'm sorry and I'm not attempting to be difficult. I want us to be able to see pictures on this site and talk about what everyone thinks.

The sooner the better in my opinion.

Guest coachacola

I think they could expand Cardinal Stadium to 30k+ by just extending the stands higher and extending them to the end of the end zones.  They could also add about 5K worth of seats in the end zones.  A 30k to 35k seat stadium would be perfect in my opinion for Lamar.  That's the size of a lot of stadiums in the MAC, WAC, CUSA and Sunbelt.  Nothing wrong with that.

Guest coachacola

They could expand Cardinal Stadium from this:

2384512144_99e40f9139_m.jpg

To this:

2384512140_5502f0de6c_m.jpg

Just need to add a press box and modernize the exterior and Lamar would have a very nice 30k seat stadium!!

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    yielder
    Newest Member
    yielder