Lumberton vs. WO-S Game Thread

Lumberton 15 WOS 1

I personally believe that score is disgraceful.  Not for WOS, but for the Lumberton coach that allowed his players to continue scoring goals.  I have no connection to either team with the exception of coaching one of the Lumberton players in club soccer in the past. As a fan of the game I find this score offensive.

Lumberton 15 WOS 1

I personally believe that score is disgraceful.  Not for WOS, but for the Lumberton coach that allowed his players to continue scoring goals.  I have no connection to either team with the exception of coaching one of the Lumberton players in club soccer in the past. As a fan of the game I find this score offensive.

Cant ask a bench warmer not to score if he gets the chance.

Lumberton 15 WOS 1

Cant ask a bench warmer not to score if he gets the chance.

You can get the benchwarmer in the game when the score is 5-1 and let him score then, as opposed to letting him get his goal when it's 14-1.

ok as a backup on the team.. are we supposed to work the ball down to the goal then kick it away from the goal out of bounds? or are we supposed to just pass the ball to WO-S? we are just playing soccer.. we just tried people at different positions to look and see whos going to be where next season..

ok as a backup on the team.. are we supposed to work the ball down to the goal then kick it away from the goal out of bounds? or are we supposed to just pass the ball to WO-S? we are just playing soccer.. we just tried people at different positions to look and see whos going to be where next season..

Most coaches and trainers would tell their team to work on possession of the ball without attempting to score at every opportunity.  Granted, a game of keep away can also be humiliating for an overmatched team, but the score would not become ridiculous.

With all due respect, it's not that hard to "not score" without kicking the ball out of bounds.  Knock the ball around the defense a bit.  Knock the ball around in the midfield.  Your team can actually benefit from the practice of playing a little keepaway.  After you have a 3 or 4 goal lead, work the ball out on the wings, and only score on headers off of crosses.  Try to score only on one-timers.  Not only will this be beneficial to your team, it will also keep the scoreline more respectable.  Or an even better idea, in a game that you know you're going to win big, start the game out with kids in different positions and your subs in instead of waiting until you have a big lead. This will keep the score a little lower AND let you work on stuff for next year.  

were any of yall even at this game? there was no bad sportsmanship... and so you know we did pass the ball around the midfield.. and our starters played less then half of the game..regardless of the score both teams were just having a good time playing soccer...

In Lumberton's defense I was told that WOS was just standing around and talking, not taking the game  serious at all. From what I heard they didn't care much that they were getting scored on.

If you were down 10+ goals, would you be a happy player?

When I played Rec back in 03 our coach made us work on possession when the score was getting out of hand. If a bunch of 12 year olds can play posession soccer I know that a HS Varsity team CAN and SHOULD play keep away before you get to 15 goals. If you get to 10 and continue to score, there is somthing wrong there... Oh well. Gratz to Lumberton on the win AND another D-Championship and Gratz to WOS for scoring!

With all due respect, it's not that hard to "not score" without kicking the ball out of bounds.  Knock the ball around the defense a bit.  Knock the ball around in the midfield.  Your team can actually benefit from the practice of playing a little keepaway.  After you have a 3 or 4 goal lead, work the ball out on the wings, and only score on headers off of crosses.  Try to score only on one-timers.  Not only will this be beneficial to your team, it will also keep the scoreline more respectable.  Or an even better idea, in a game that you know you're going to win big, start the game out with kids in different positions and your subs in instead of waiting until you have a big lead. This will keep the score a little lower AND let you work on stuff for next year.  

i understand what ur getting at but if u were at the game u would have saw and maybe heard what their defenders were sayin to our strikers and i didnt find good sportsmanship in that. but its over now so we can just forget about that and worry about this friday

were any of yall even at this game? there was no bad sportsmanship... and so you know we did pass the ball around the midfield.. and our starters played less then half of the game..regardless of the score both teams were just having a good time playing soccer...

i agree with you. The other team looked just fine at the end of the game also.

i understand what ur getting at but if u were at the game u would have saw and maybe heard what their defenders were sayin to our strikers and i didnt find good sportsmanship in that. but its over now so we can just forget about that and worry about this friday

I wasn't there, but i doubt i'd be real pleasant towards any players from a team that was running up the score against me.  Did ya'll expect high fives from their defense?

I,ve watched football games at WOS lower levels where scoring on an another team should be slowed down, Dan standing in the end zone watching his 7th or 8th grade team winninig by 30 or more and have 7 or 8 kids never get in the game only to leave the starters in. So imo what goes around comes around. I dont have a problem with runnin it up in high school but the lower grades I dont think its the thing to do.jmo

Vidor scored 14 on WOS earlier in the season. LCM score 13 i think so why arent yall hammering them too? Lumbertons starters were coming out of the game 20 mins in. JV players were brought up and played alot. Defenders played forward. If Lumberton played the starters the whole game then I would have understood but the coaches even told them to quit scoring after awhile but sorry for those of yall this isnt rec ball anymore I know everyone here wants everyone to be happy and paddy cake with each other but I'm sorry its not gonna happen. Why would u put all your back ups and seniors in who never get to play and tell them not to play your style of soccer.  

smp...the difference is that we are district champions and people just want a reason to dog our ball club.

This is not the reason and it was dumb to post this. But in yalls defense like i posted early its not like yall were trying to run up the score, this conversation comes up every year and every year people have the same arguments about it. And LCM scored 9 on WOS in the first half(starters weren't even playing) and only scored three headers in the second half, if they wanted to run up the score it would have been a lot worse.

Im just going to say this as a Player for WOS. Lumberton didnt run up the score.Early in the second half the coach had them start doing passes and shots with left foot only. After that no shots at all. They were friendly to us and the were not any problems on the field.

Im just going to say this as a Player for WOS. Lumberton didnt run up the score.Early in the second half the coach had them start doing passes and shots with left foot only. After that no shots at all. They were friendly to us and the were not any problems on the field.

I retract my statement.  If the WOS player is not going to complain, then no worries.

I wasn't there, but i doubt i'd be real pleasant towards any players from a team that was running up the score against me.  Did ya'll expect high fives from their defense?

I was planning on replying to this before i read serpentor's comment. But even still as a matter of fact, regardless of the score i was holding quite a friendly conversation with WOS strikers for a majority of the game. So pleasantries were present even though the score was being supposedly "run up".

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    yielder
    Newest Member
    yielder