21-3A Coach of the Year

Did not mean to imply that OF did not have players as they do have alot of talent, they are also a very hard working group as we spent alot of weekends on the road in Houston and Austin working on getting ready for this year.  I realize that Coach S is going to get this, just like Hooks does in football but you can't blame us for making a case.  I still say that the highest we were picked preseason was 5th, ahead of BC, K-ville, and HF. Great job to all of the coaches considered for this spot.

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Coach of the year is always a BS award anyway.  Whoever wins district they get it pretty much.  Do I think Sutherland is a great coach? You bet I do.  Do I think H-J athletes are better? Not really, I think H-J has tradition in basketball and that is huge to success.  If their athletes were better at H-J they would dominate the district in football.  At OF Wrinkle has finally gotten a few kids who are putting basketball as their number one sport, but they do so in the face of a coaching staff and community that puts football number one.  I bet Coach Sutherland isn't standing on a football field from 6am to 10pm every day for 4 months.  Feel free to correct me if I am wrong.  Coach Wrinkle HAS to do that because it is a prerequisite for coaching basketball at OF.  Meanwhile his "basketball" players who don't play football are walking around chilling on their own.  That and the fact that OF was expected to do nothing, (even though lots of us knew this group was gonna be pretty good) makes Wrinkle coach of the year in my opinion.  If you go on strictly records you would say Barry Switzer was a good NFL football coach...

Switzer was fired because he had a talented team and did not win with them. A great indication that talented players still need to be coached correctly to be succesful. I was unsure who I would pick, but the more everyone tries to steer the award from Sutherland it seems they are actually making a case that he should win.

So who did HJ and Silsbee beat that they weren't supposed to beat?  I think the reason that Coach Wrinkle is getting recognition for how competitive the bobcats were against those upper tier teams. 

OF went 0-4 (do you want a pat on he back for being competetive?) against HJ and Silsbee!!!!!  Hey lets give Coach of the Year to the coach that went 0-4 against the Co-District Champs!!!!!

I said it once and I will say it again.  I knew Ray when he was an assistant at LCM to Jeff Burke (Ex-Hawk BTW) and he is a great coach and a even better guy.  He did a great job but he lost to the big dogs (yet 2 out of the 4 games were close) and beat up on all of the little puppies.  Congrats on making the playoffs and winning a playoff game against Coldspring but I doubt that there will be any post season awards for the OF coaching staff!!!

Here is my opinion on awards for the district.  I likely will miss a few.......

Coach of the Year--Todd Sutherland

MVP--Jarvis Benard

Offensive--Shannon Robinson (Only because Jarvis cannot win both)

Defensive--Not Sure

Newcomer--DK Howard

Freshman--Not Sure

defensive--Ricossa or Payne

#10 walters from silsbee defensive player and #31 Dc Stallworth silsbee freshman

IM GOING WITH THE COACH FROM SILSBEE FOR THE AWARD!!!!!!!!! OK I PLAYED BASKETBALL LAST YEAR AND OF HAD A LOT OF RETURNING PLAYERS BUT LOOK AT SILSBEE...DIDN'T THEY GRAD. LIKE 90% OF THERE TEAM LAST YEAR? I THINK SO? FOR A COACH TO TAKE A YOUNG TEAM LIKE THAT TO WERE HE DID I WOULD GIVE HIM THE AWARD.........

Travis Williams for coach Robinson was the only returning player out of their top 10 from last year. May have talent but no experience players and still managed to win 25 games and be competive with Hj

IM GOING WITH THE COACH FROM SILSBEE FOR THE AWARD!!!!!!!!! OK I PLAYED BASKETBALL LAST YEAR AND OF HAD A LOT OF RETURNING PLAYERS BUT LOOK AT SILSBEE...DIDN'T THEY GRAD. LIKE 90% OF THERE TEAM LAST YEAR? I THINK SO? FOR A COACH TO TAKE A YOUNG TEAM LIKE THAT TO WERE HE DID I WOULD GIVE HIM THE AWARD.........

I agree with both of yall. Silsbee did graduated majority of their team and only had 1 experienced player and two player that came off the bench some last year. Travis is a good coach but like some says Brooks did most of the coaching this year. But we will not tell why he did. So Williams for coach of the year

MVP-Benard and Robinson both Co-district champ so they should be Co-MVP

Offensive-Bailey he did put up alot of point this year in district

Defensive-Walter of Silsbee was a h*** of a defensive rebounder and got some decent steals this year

Newcomer-Howard of Silsbee played like a MVP of this district

Freshman-never heard of this award but only freshman I know is Stallworth of Silsbee

Travis Williams for coach Robinson was the only returning player out of their top 10 from last year. May have talent but no experience players and still managed to win 25 games and be competive with Hj

I agree with both of yall. Silsbee did graduated majority of their team and only had 1 experienced player and two player that came off the bench some last year. Travis is a good coach but like some says Brooks did most of the coaching this year. But we will not tell why he did. So Williams for coach of the year

MVP-Benard and Robinson both Co-district champ so they should be Co-MVP

Offensive-Bailey he did put up alot of point this year in district

Defensive-Walter of Silsbee was a h*** of a defensive rebounder and got some decent steals this year

Newcomer-Howard of Silsbee played like a MVP of this district

Freshman-never heard of this award but only freshman I know is Stallworth of Silsbee

It is very obvious that you are from Silsbee......

Benard will win MVP....he averaged 28 PPG on the team that won the district

Oh my, I never said Sutherland wasn't a good coach, in fact I am pretty sure I said he was a great coach.  What I am saying is that Wrinkle has a lot more hills to climb at OF than Sutherland does at H-J.  You can go back and look at my past posts, I have had nothing but good things to say about H-J, and their program. But, just because you win district doesn't mean you should be coach of the year.  I have thought for years your girls coach is the best in the district, but didn't win coach of the year the last few years because someone else won district. And last I checked Barry Switzer won a Super Bowl and was no where near a good NFL coach.  Was he coach of the year too? I admire the coach at OF for lots of reasons.  I watched him last year travel lots of miles when the boys played summer league.  I am talking several trips to Houston.  I also think he listens to the guys that help him on the bench that coach with him.  Don't get all bent out of shape cuz someone makes a statement for their coach.

If you are picked to have the best team, and you have the best team, then why should you be coach of the year.  Yes, if everything plays out in district and no teams surprise anyone, then the coach of the district champs should get it.  If there are teams that do surpisingly better, then couldn't you say that coach might be deserving of the award.  Personally, I think Williams from Silsbee should get it.  He lost most of his team from last year and still was Co-district Champs.  Bobcat05, did your coach when your team surprisingly made the playoffs in a much weaker district than this one get coach of the year.  The answer is yes.  He was co-coach of the year.  Why?  Because his team did something that other people in the area and district did not expect.

Coach of the year is always a BS award anyway.  Whoever wins district they get it pretty much.  Do I think Sutherland is a great coach? You bet I do.  Do I think H-J athletes are better? Not really, I think H-J has tradition in basketball and that is huge to success.  If their athletes were better at H-J they would dominate the district in football.  At OF Wrinkle has finally gotten a few kids who are putting basketball as their number one sport, but they do so in the face of a coaching staff and community that puts football number one.  I bet Coach Sutherland isn't standing on a football field from 6am to 10pm every day for 4 months.  Feel free to correct me if I am wrong.  Coach Wrinkle HAS to do that because it is a prerequisite for coaching basketball at OF.  Meanwhile his "basketball" players who don't play football are walking around chilling on their own.  That and the fact that OF was expected to do nothing, (even though lots of us knew this group was gonna be pretty good) makes Wrinkle coach of the year in my opinion.  If you go on strictly records you would say Barry Switzer was a good NFL football coach...

Switzer was a good NFL football coach.  What an ignorant comment you made.

A silsbee person said that Brooks did most of the coaching this year in a previous post.  So I have questions:

Why did Brooks did most of coaching this year?  Why is that?  This seems to be the million dollar question.  The playoff game I saw when HJ dominated Silsbee after halftime at Lamar I ONLY saw Brooks coaching his butt off the entire game.  Coach Williams may have been delegating authority from the chair he was sitting in.  But it seemed Brooks was running the show from my point of view.  Which is fine if that's the way they win games.  Whatever works they say.  So did this go on all season?  What is up with this situation?  Why is it such a TOP SECRET?

I have a statement to make. I dont want this junk to just step on everyones toys. Being an outsider looking in. Everyone seemed to be suprised that OF place 3rd in the district. Everyone with half a brain new who would be the top 2 teams. duh ( ::)) Maybe its the fact that many of the teams just had downs years???.. And plus, after HJ and Silsbee you have a drop off. ( Before anybody gets there panties all in a wad) Grant it they did play 2 of the 4 games close. But if they played HJ 10 times and Silsbee 10 times. I give them blowouts 9 of the 10...Ok im rambling now back to what I was saying,

Look at the teams that are in the district beside HJ Silsbee..

HF.. hahaha ;D a joke

K-ville...not that great.  ;D

WO-S...lost a lot!!!!!

Jasper...Decent

So lets be real OF coach, coach of the year????  ::)

End of discussion 8)

First of all, most districts in the state don't even have 3 really good teams in the district.  Orangefield already beat the 2nd place team in district 22-3A.  My vote is still for Williams, but don't make it so inconceivable that the OF coach could win it.  I guess we will see when the coaches vote on it.

First of all, most districts in the state don't even have 3 really good teams in the district.  Orangefield already beat the 2nd place team in district 22-3A.  My vote is still for Williams, but don't make it so inconceivable that the OF coach could win it.  I guess we will see when the coaches vote on it.

Why would it be for Williams and not Sutherland?  Sutherland was 2 and 1 against the Tiggers!  Sutherland beat Coach Brooks and Coach Williams squad handily last Saturday night.

A silsbee person said that Brooks did most of the coaching this year in a previous post.  So I have questions:

Why did Brooks do most of coaching this year?  Why is that?  This seems to be the million dollar question.  The playoff game I saw when HJ dominated Silsbee after halftime at Lamar I ONLY saw Brooks coaching his butt off the entire game.  Coach Williams may have been delegating authority from the chair he was sitting in.  But it seemed Brooks was running the show from my point of view.  Which is fine if that's the way they win games.  Whatever works they say.  So did this go on all season?  What is up with this situation?  Why is it such a TOP SECRET?

And the majority of those games were close against the same people everyone else is dogging.  No one is saying that Sutherland is not a great coach, I think he is a really good coach as well.  Do you think that Doc Rivers is the coach of the year in the nba, he is the same coach that last year did not make the playoffs but when he picked up 2 of the best players in the nba he starts winning.  Same coach different players now he is winning.  Players have alot to do with it.  You can be the greatest coach but if you do not have the same level of talent on the floor it can make a huge difference.  I think that all three coaches have gotten the most out of their programs.

Coach of the Year Coach Williams or Coach Sutherland

Co-Coaches of the Year Willams/Sutherland

Success=

Players w/outstanding abilities (Bernard/Last Year's DI prospect/Robinson)

Coaches who can get kids to play up to these abilities

Intangibles such as heart, hustle, commitment and pure grit

I know both of these gentlement do a great job, but without Bernard and Robinson, there wouldn't be anything or anyone to discuss.

Guest tigersvoice

Why did Brooks do most of coaching this year?  Why is that?  This seems to be the million dollar question.  The playoff game I saw when HJ dominated Silsbee after halftime at Lamar I ONLY saw Brooks coaching his butt off the entire game.  Coach Williams may have been delegating authority from the chair he was sitting in.  But it seemed Brooks was running the show from my point of view.  Which is fine if that's the way they win games.  Whatever works they say.  So did this go on all season?  What is up with this situation?  Why is it such a TOP SECRET?

Why do you think that you need to know anything about what's up in Silsbee?

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    yielder
    Newest Member
    yielder